• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Nintendo Switch will launch with fewer games than the Wii, Wii U or 3DS

r3ddvil

Launching with a likely GOTY favourite, not a bad thing.

A large reason for the smaller quantity is the time of year, I think. It's not releasing during the holiday season like the Wii, WiiU, PS4 or XB1 did.

3DS launched in March, iirc, with a VERY mediocre lineup (SS4 was the best came I remember)

For reference, the SNES launched with exactly (3) games, SMW, Pilotwings and F-Zero. Two became classics.

The Wii launched with 20 or so, but could have been only Wii Sports and Zelda and probably didn't matter much beyond that (Red Steel sold well though)

My biggest concern for Nintendo, is if the system has a slow start due to time of year, small launch lineup and price too high for impulse purchasers, resulting in third parties cancelling holiday games with cold feet.

Plum

The launch lineup is the sole reason I'm hesitant to buy the Switch at launch. It would literally only be Zelda for me until Mario Kart in late April, and I'm not sure if I can stomach that tbh. However, being in Uni I have no idea how bad my financial situation will be in Autumn/Winter so should I buy it now when I know I have money to get it or risk having to save up/scrimp later on when games like Mario are out?

But really, that launch is just terrible. Practically no token 3rd party ports, not even a rushed sequel like NSMBU and the non pack-in 1-2 Switch looks to be paltry in terms of content compared to the pack-in Nintendoland. We also have no idea what will be available digitally either.

RoKKeR

The launch lineup is the sole reason I'm hesitant to buy the Switch at launch. It would literally only be Zelda for me until Mario Kart in late April, and I'm not sure if I can stomach that tbh. However, being in Uni I have no idea how bad my financial situation will be in Autumn/Winter so should I buy it now when I know I have money to get it or risk having to save up/scrimp later on when games like Mario are out?

But really, that launch is just terrible. Practically no token 3rd party ports, not even a rushed sequel like NSMBU and the non pack-in 1-2 Switch looks to be paltry in terms of content compared to the pack-in Nintendoland. We also have no idea what will be available digitally either.

Agree, it's something I'm interested in but at the moment Zelda and MK8 are the only titles I'd be really want until Mario later this year and maybe Splatoon 2.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Where is Mario Maker? That's a game I, someone who never felt that the Wii U was worth getting, would totally buy.

I think I'll wait a few months. Going to stick to my rule of never buying a console at launch until more games start to trickle out. Zelda will be phenomenal, no question but after that the only other game I'm interested in is Sonic Mania and Xenoblade 2, Mario Odyssey is literally almost a year away and I expect a delay for sure.

Can't help but feel this is going to be another Nintendo cycle where it's just them and closely knit devs keeping the system afloat again. One positive thing I have noticed is that they're getting support from JP third parties compared to western devs. Square is giving us a new DQ and a retro inspired RPG, was surprised to see Bomberman pop up too.

Maybe there will be a stronger indie presence (Yooka + Bloodstained, though they're not exclusive), and I expect more games at E3 this year. It's a safe bet after E3 It'll be easier for people to decide if they want to jump in.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So hold on, if the target isn't having compelling content, a fully functioning online service or a competitive price, then what is it?

I dont have any information on the online service.
My point is that the target user - buying a Switch at launch, is buying it for Zelda 99% for Zelda.

Zelda + Switch will put the average consumer at near 400usd alone, which results in less money to spend on 3rdParty titles. We saw what happened on WiiU - were they had the +20 games launch with alot of current-gen multiplattform titles of that season. Didnt work out too well.

I'm out of this back and forth with you.

You completely missed my point and the backed out - okay i guess. I only was talking about the launch and not the overall appeal of the system fir its lifetime - of course they need more First and 3rdParty games down the line, thats not even a issue worth discussing.

Plum

Agree, it's something I'm interested in but at the moment Zelda and MK8 are the only titles I'd be really want until Mario later this year and maybe Splatoon 2.

Splatoon 2 might as well just be a campaign and an MP demo for me since I refuse to pay for Nintendo's online service, at least with Mario Kart there's decent replayability and 2-player with Joy-Cons by default.

Viewtiful

We have Zelda to start with then Mario kart a month later, then Splatoon 2 sometime in the summer and Mario Odyssey in the fall. I have a sneaking suspicion that Fire emblem warriors and Xenoblade chronicles 2 won't make 2017. It just feels like there are too many month long gaps between big games. There is always E3 but that will probably be for 2018 games.

I think what will determine the fate of the Switch in the years to come is whether or not they can get the Japanese developers that were making games for the 3DS/Vita on board with this thing.

-MB-

Nintendo said they learned their lesson with the Wii and won't make the same mistakes with the 3DS..they had a drought of games for awhile, they said they learned their lesson with the 3DS and wouldn't make the same mistakes with the WiiU...a drought of games ended up happening again..
And now with only having one system to worry about for the future they make THE SAME mistake with a drought of games, what the fuck is going on.

"Iwata: Nintendo NX won’t repeat Wii U and 3DS launch mistakes"
http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2015/07/iwata-nintendo-nx-wont-repeat-wii-u-and-3ds-launch-mistakes/

WHat they meant is pretty pbvious, its the months AFTEr the launch period they screwed up on, with both systems getting little to nothing for a few months which killled the momentum. Even with the low launch game amount, they at least have a steady stream of heavy hitters coming realtively fast.

Nintendo's process seems to be:

"We learned our lesson, this time we won't have another launch year drought!"
*cancel/move a bunch of last gen games, gutting the last 1/2 years of the console*
*still launch with fewer games than last time*
*still have a launch year drought*
Repeat

Only this time it's even worse since half the reason for merging the handheld and console lines was supposedly to unite the software teams and thus consolidate their releases on a single platform, effectively meaning more frequent releases.

PSFan

Launching with a likely GOTY favourite, not a bad thing.

A large reason for the smaller quantity is the time of year, I think. It's not releasing during the holiday season like the Wii, WiiU, PS4 or XB1 did.

3DS launched in March, iirc, with a VERY mediocre lineup (SS4 was the best came I remember)

For reference, the SNES launched with exactly (3) games, SMW, Pilotwings and F-Zero. Two became classics.

The Wii launched with 20 or so, but could have been only Wii Sports and Zelda and probably didn't matter much beyond that (Red Steel sold well though)

My biggest concern for Nintendo, is if the system has a slow start due to time of year, small launch lineup and price too high for impulse purchasers, resulting in third parties cancelling holiday games with cold feet.

SMW was a pack-in at launch. So it only really launched with two other games.

So what did Nintendo do all this time the Wii U got nothing

c8e.gif

6a00d8345200e269e2017d43050c47970c-800wi

quality over quantity

n64 was the greatest launch lineup of all time

It's not 1996 anymore.

And I'd rather have both quality and quantity rather than having to choose between one or the other, especially considering they left the Wii U to rot with barely any software for the past year and a half specifically to prepare for the Switch's launch.

Or at least, that's what too many people to count were telling me ad nauseum.

K' Dash

I have a pre-order in, but I am damn disappointed with the lineup. My fear is I'm going to beat Zelda, get bored as it gathers dust, and sell all of it within the first month.

Same here, I hope they at least launch a VC with lots of games to play on the go.

I wouldn't mind having a few GameCube games on the go, and by a few GameCube games I mean F-Zero GX and Mario Sunshine, while I wait for the new stuff.

So what did Nintendo do all this time the Wii U got nothing
Iwata died and all of the big faces at the event the other day were new guys. I'd imagine that in addition to developing games they haven't revealed yet for whatever reason and getting a new console ready, there was a ton of internal chaos because of staff transitions.

theWB27

My point is that the target user - buying a Switch at launch, is buying it for Zelda 99% for Zelda.

Zelda + Switch will put the average consumer at near 400usd alone, which results in less money to spend on 3rdParty titles. We saw what happened on WiiU - were they had the +20 games launch with alot of current-gen multiplattform titles of that season. Didnt work out too well.

You completely missed my point and the backed out - okay i guess. I only was talking about the launch and not the overall appeal of the system fir its lifetime - of course they need more First and 3rdParty games down the line, thats not even a issue worth discussing.

Because I don't agree that less selection is an intentional target for Nintendo. It's nonsensical and flies in the face of good business. Especially when you're in the business of selling hardware made for the software you're supposed to be selling to us.

I'm not talking about down the line. I'm talking about not giving people more choices to play games on their brand new hardware.

I backed out because our convo isn't going anywhere. We've hit a wall.

I have no faith in them picking up 3rd party support either. Not with the two leaders releasing (one already out) hardware that's more powerful than their consoles that released 3 years ago that were more powerful than the one Nintendo is releasing in March.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
A old ass port like Mario Kart couldn't be at launch, would've sealed the deal for me. Kinda sad and embarrassing that they couldn't get it out on time.

It's done, they are intentionally holding it back so they'll have something to release in April.

Seriously, what exactly have those 3DS teams been working on!?

TheMoon

A old ass port like Mario Kart couldn't be at launch, would've sealed the deal for me. Kinda sad and embarrassing that they couldn't get it out on time.

they didn't want to. to have something big for April. pacing. to fill the usual gaps. the thing they supposedly aren't doing...

Where is Mario Maker? That's a game I, someone who never felt that the Wii U was worth getting, would totally buy.
I don't know what they are thinking. Releasing ports like pokemon , Mario Maker, Smash ,DK or Mario Kart at launch would have been perfect. I'm still getting the Switch later but this company is so out of touch.

Nintendo should have delayed this thing to the holidays.

The entire 2017 lineup would have made a pretty decent launch lineup.

Did they just not send dev kits to 3rd parties until last week or something?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Because I don't agree that less selection is an intentional target for Nintendo. It's nonsensical and flies in the face of good business. Especially when you're in the business of selling hardware made for the software you're supposed to be selling to us.

I'm not talking about down the line. I'm talking about not giving people more choices to play games on their brand new hardware.

I backed out because our convo isn't going anywhere. We've hit a wall.

I dont know about intentional but they probably could have forced to get some ports ready for launch if they really thought it would make a difference, but it wont.

Lets see:

Scenario 1: Switch, Zelda and a bunch of 3rdParty titles launch
Result: Switch sells out, Zelda sells amazing, most of 3rdParty titles have lackluster results launching next to Zelda and limited customer resources

Scenario 2: Switch/Zelda at launch, 3rdParty titles released periodically after Nintendo has established somekind of installed base with Zelda/MK/Splatoon and co.
Result: Switch sells out, Zelda sells amazing, the 3rdParty devs have more time to develop and convincing Switch version and sell more copies on established userbase looking for new content after Zelda.

All im saying is that Nintendo and partners are likely expecting the second scenario to happen. Nintendo as in - Zelda will be enough to sell consoles at launch and 3rdParties that its too risky to be there on Day1 after the WiiU bloodbath,

Nintendo benefits from 3rdPartys having success storys but the likelyhood of such a success at launch seems low next to Zelda and the onslaught of March releases in general.

Timing of the releases is what Nintendo and 3rds seems to prioritize this time. On WiiU they dropped +20 games at launch and had nothing for a while after...and even on Gaf many wondering if it would have been smarter to release 4-5 games per months of the first half year instead of nothing after the launch months.

It might not be enough or work out for them - but thats what they are going for.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/26/nintendo-projection-2-million-switch-in-march/

2 million Switch's for March, worldwide.

Zelda is gonna sell these units out and people are gonna talk about it. Launch day is not the issue. Some here wouldn't be getting a unit, even if they tried, in March. Momentum will need to be sustained for the months following, and we'll see how that goes when we learn more about April's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (will their be new tracks?) and Arms (should be coming in May at the latest).

They're not going to blow their load on day 1. There is no need to do that, either.

Simbabbad

How is Breath of the Wild a "system seller" when it also releases on Wii U ? And looks basically the same with same features, unlike Twilight Princess?

legend166

What I don't get is a robust VC lineup could alleviate the fact that the launch line up is anemic. I'm talking 50+ games across all platforms (NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBA, GameCube). Throw in some early adopter pricing, franchise bundles and away you go. I know that if Nintendo announced that, I'd go back to thinking about buying at launch (although that Australian price is ahhhh) instead of thinking "hmmm, maybe at Christmas."

I know people will say "it could still be happen, wait for the VC details!" but deep down we all know they'll release 5 NES games and somehow have managed to increase the price.

Nintendo should have delayed this thing to the holidays.

The entire 2017 lineup would have made a pretty decent launch lineup.

Did they just not send dev kits to 3rd parties until last week or something?

It's really telling that the conference even have reps from publishers like Sega and EA who only said they were working on something, yet came to the conference with no game to show. And out of all of the games listed, only a fraction of them have concrete release dates and showed tangible gameplay footage.

Factor in as well that the paid online service won't be be up and running until fall, and even then it will be available only in NA...

If the Switch was intended to be a holiday release this year, but was instead decided by higher-ups to be rushed to release earlier than intended, that really wouldn't surprise me.

How is Breath of the Wild a "system seller" when it also releases on Wii U ? And looks basically the same with same features, unlike Twilight Princess?

Because Breath of the Wild is just as much a system seller for Switch as it is for Wii U, which is nowhere to be found these days.

Wii U has not had an original Zelda released during its lifetime. However, some have indeed bought a Wii U well ahead of its release.

If Breath of the Wild successfully attracts lapsed fans, and new people, not just Wii U owners will be wanting it.

Simbabbad

Because Breath of the Wild is just as much a system seller for Switch as it is for Wii U, which is nowhere to be found these days.

Wii U has not had an original Zelda released during its lifetime. However, some have indeed bought a Wii U well ahead of its release.

If Breath of the Wild successfully attracts lapsed fans, and new people, not just Wii U owners will be wanting it.
This makes no sense whatsoever. I have zero reason to own a Switch, having a Wii U.

theWB27

I dont know about intentional but they probably could have forced to get some ports ready for launch if they really thought it would make a difference, but it wont.

Lets see:

Scenario 1: Switch, Zelda and a bunch of 3rdParty titles launch
Result: Switch sells out, Zelda sells amazing, most of 3rdParty titles have lackluster results launching next to Zelda and limited customer resources

Scenario 2: Switch/Zelda at launch, 3rdParty titles released periodically after Nintendo has established somekind of installed base with Zelda/MK/Splatoon and co.
Result: Switch sells out, Zelda sells amazing, the 3rdParty devs have more time to develop and convincing Switch version and sell more copies on established userbase looking for new content after Zelda.

All im saying is that Nintendo and partners are likely expecting the second scenario to happen. Nintendo as in - Zelda will be enough to sell consoles at launch and 3rdParties that its too risky to be there on Day1 after the WiiU bloodbath,

Nintendo benefits from 3rdPartys having success storys but the likelyhood of such a success at launch seems low next to Zelda and the onslaught of March releases in general.

Timing of the releases is what Nintendo and 3rds seems to prioritize this time. On WiiU they dropped +20 games at launch and had nothing for a while after...and even on Gaf many wondering if it would have been smarter to release 4-5 games per months of the first half year instead of nothing after the launch months.

It might not be enough or work out for them - but thats what they are going for.

I do not agree with you.

PSFan

What I don't get is a robust VC lineup could alleviate the fact that the launch line up is anemic. I'm talking 50+ games across all platforms (NES, SNES, N64, GB, GBA, GameCube). Throw in some early adopter pricing, franchise bundles and away you go. I know that if Nintendo announced that, I'd go back to thinking about buying at launch (although that Australian price is ahhhh) instead of thinking "hmmm, maybe at Christmas."

I know people will say "it could still be happen, wait for the VC details!" but deep down we all know they'll release 5 NES games and somehow have managed to increase the price.

And ruin their coming online service? They don't want you to play your existing VC games on the Switch, they want you to play the games you already bought for a month and then buy them yet again.

PSFan

https://www.engadget.com/2016/10/26/nintendo-projection-2-million-switch-in-march/

2 million Switch's for March, worldwide.

Zelda is gonna sell these units out and people are gonna talk about it. Launch day is not the issue. Some here wouldn't be getting a unit, even if they tried, in March. Momentum will need to be sustained for the months following, and we'll see how that goes when we learn more about April's Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (will their be new tracks?) and Arms (should be coming in May at the latest).

They're not going to blow their load on day 1. There is no need to do that, either.

You realize of course, there will probably be units on store shelves a week or two after launch when the scalpers realize they can't flip these things and return them, right?

That's what happened with the Wii U

This makes no sense whatsoever. I have zero reason to own a Switch, having a Wii U.

Good for you.

Now how does the rest of that statement not make any sense? Perhaps you think all potential BotW buyers already have Wii U's?

You realize of course, there will probably be units on store shelves a week or two after launch when the scalpers realize they can't flip these things and return them, right?

That's what happened with the Wii U

I realize that's "probable." But it's also "probable" stock will remain low and the two million shipped, worldwide (not just NA or wherever) will be sold before the month ends.

And I don't see Switch as another Wii U.

BajiBoxer

Banned
Had the Scorpio not existed, I wonder would Nintendo have waited until holiday 2017.

Switch would have had a pretty stellar line-up.

Honestly, I prefer it launching at the beginning of the year. Gives them a chance to work out some potential kinks, maybe have a holiday price drop or a deal on a holiday bundle.

13ruce

Banned
Had the Scorpio not existed, I wonder would Nintendo have waited until holiday 2017.

Switch would have had a pretty stellar line-up.

It would still launch they had to launch it this fiscal year and that ends in march.

I bet if they could they would have waited till the holiday season but investors and stuff you can't keep denying those with a failure like wii u.

onken

As a non-Zelda fan, this launch really has nothing for me. I don't own a Wii U so MK looks good but not going to buy a whole console just for that. I'll wait for Mario, I guess.

asagami_

Banned
Honestly, I prefer it launching at the beginning of the year. Gives them a chance to work out some potential kinks, maybe have a holiday price drop or a deal on a holiday bundle.

Yep I think the same. It will be the 3DS situation but now Nintendo want it happen.

Right, but you're insinuating that this is a by-design decision on Nintendo's part. I sincerely doubt it was their intention to have this little content at launch, regardless of who they thought would be adopting the system early.

Top Bottom