• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Why Spike is hitting the reset button on its video game awards

Bedlam

GTA V doesn't deserve GOTY with that embarrassing excuse for a story. I really enjoyed it, even (it's my #2 GOTY), but The Last of Us is the true total package.
Exactly.

Unfortunately, I doubt that even half of the judges have even played TLoU. I know several of those guys definitely didn't. And then there are 3 judges from Polygon lol.

When some time has passed and we look back at 2013 and at the remarkable and influential games were released that year, we will be talking about TloU and not GTAV.

antitrop

If TloU doesn't get it I'll be deeply disappointed.
The Last of Us is the game of the year, but I'm preparing myself for the "denial" stage right now. GTA V's plot stumbles and trips all over itself to such a disappointing conclusion, maybe any other year the gameplay alone would have been enough to make it still the best GOTY, but in this, the year of The Last of Us, I just can't accept it.

And it's so strange for me to say all this, because GTA V is still, easily, one of my Top 5 games of the entire generation but... I mean... The Last of Us, man... The Last of Us. It was so head and shoulders above anything else.

Nudull

Banned
Wow looks like they spoiled Rockstar getting GOTY

Granted, it could also be for studio of the year, but yeah. Nice job, Spike. :p
Frankly, I found the old VGAs entertaining, in a "train wreck of an attempt to generalize/appeal to gamers and gaming" sort of way. I'm glad that they're moving away from that, though, hope it works out for them.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I am still wondering what R* North thought when they were planning the story of the game. It started well, but damn at the end it just seemed they didn't know what to do with it.

The way some of guys talk make it sound like the VGAs can be used as a form of torture. I mean come on, yea they do dumb shit on stage, but do some of you have such thin skins that you can't even tolerate it?

I find much of that crap cringeworthy all the same, but I don't even let it get to me because I love seeing new trailers and new games get revealed. Bunch of drama queens in here :p

Not because of the terrible it was to us, but how it represented the industry. The Chuck actor saying how he was a giant nerd because he played videogames was just an example of how general population views 'gamers'.

I am in the same position as you, but when I wondered what people who are not core gamers thought, I really realized that the show was really filled with stereotypes. "Gamers are nerds", "we teabag those who are thoughtful!", etc.

MormaPope

Banned
It's not like every positive critical response and sale is going to be taken away from The Last of Us if it doesn't win GOTY. Besides, the true GOTY is Metal Gear Rising or The Wonderful 101(based on what I've heard and read), being bummed out about a really successful game beating another really successful game is so lame.

Derrick01

Banned
GTA V doesn't deserve GOTY with that embarrassing excuse for a story. I really enjoyed it, even (it's my #2 GOTY), but The Last of Us is the true total package.

It's a sad day when we discard a game from being goty because its story wasn't very good.

antitrop

It's a sad day when we discard a game from being goty because its story wasn't very good.

We're talking about the same awards show that gave The Walking Dead the GOTY 2012, based purely 100% on its story.

My point is, The Last of Us has great gameplay and a great story, while GTA V has great gameplay and a shit story, so obviously TLoU > GTA V, in my mind.

HardRojo

Gonna watch it with some friends while drinking, I'm guessing the show will be over by 9 or 10 tops, after that it's time to hit the club!

Derrick01

Banned
Not when over half the game is cutscenes and driving around listening to people talk.

I wasn't talking about the last of us.

antitrop said:
We're talking about the same awards show that gave The Walking Dead the GOTY 2012, based purely 100% on its story.

2012 was the weakest year in gaming history so I can't fault anyone for that. There wasn't much else to choose from.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
GTAV is great, no doubt... but having it beat The Last of Us for GOTY would be a travesty and a sham.

The formula for GTA is already established, and they're done well with it. In a year with similarly safe contenders it'd make a fine GOTY. But TLOU is a wholly original/new IP, brings a lot of great new things to the table along with a captivating narrative and memorable characters, and in every way imaginable deserves to win. Hell, who ever expected it'd have such a fantastic and unique multiplayer rather than simply being an afterthought?

I hope the news of the entire Rockstar team being there doesn't mean what I think it means =/

MormaPope

Banned
When some time has passed and we look back at 2013 and at the remarkable and influential games were released that year, we will be talking about TloU and not GTAV.

I really hope your videogame tastes are verified at a Spike TV awards show.

R* entire dev team accepts the award, "And GTAV on PC, PS4, XBone coming Spring 2014," drops mic and all walk off stage or Bust....

Lingitiz

Don't they say this every year? And then every year it's the same shit show?

No, this one is actually radically different if you take the time to read.

Not televised live, instead its a 3hr pre recorded stream without all of the B list celebs from years past. It's more like a long ass episode of GTTV with awards sprinkled in, and actual reveals and new trailers.

Timmy00

Hmm maybe I'll actually give it a watch this year.
It's not like every positive critical response and sale is going to be taken away from The Last of Us if it doesn't win GOTY. Besides, the true GOTY is Metal Gear Rising or The Wonderful 101(based on what I've heard and read), being bummed out about a really successful game beating another really successful game is so lame.

Very true :D

Doran902

Oh so you were knocking another game for being "half cutscenes" while propping up a game that likely IS half cutscenes and other non interactive parts.

No I'm knocking the game that in my opinion didn't have as enjoyable cutscenes and dialogue and didnt get me invested in it. Also enjoyed The Last of Us gameplay more than GTA 5. If some people enjoyed the story stuff in GTA 5 all the power to them, this is just my opinion and what I enjoyed. If I was voting I would go with The Last of Us. Its the best game I have played since Resident Evil 4.

I think GTAV would be my Game of the generation, but I feel something like Red Dead offers a similar experience. The Last of Us was a very unique experience. I wouldn't mind either one winning GOTY, honestly.

antitrop

Not televised live, instead its a 3hr pre recorded stream without all of the B list celebs from years past. It's more like a long ass episode of GTTV with awards sprinkled in, and actual reveals and new trailers.

I didn't really mind watching a stoned-as-fuck Jessica Alba get up and announce Dark Souls II to the world, but each to their own.

sn00zer

I wonder if this is based on viewership during the E3 online streams...I imagine they got many more during that period than the VGAs

NeoROCK

The whole rockstar dev team there in person? GTA V GOTY confirmed? I sure hope TLoU gets it.

They pretty much just spoiled it.

He said all devs made acceptance videos and only said the GOTY would have a live acceptance... then said the Rockstar team would be flying in lol.

The Flash

Banned
Wow...that actually sounds really good. Livestream for core audiences, 1 hour show for general audiences. Smart thinking Geoff.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I always try and watch, but I usually have to turn it off because I usually find it embarrassing that's what a TV show thinks gamers are nowadays.

Or maybe I'm old and cranky and they're going for the kind of people who gleefully stay in public chat during a COD match.

Mononoke

Banned

On the Bonus Round, all of the panelists (who also have voting power at the VGX), admitted that BioShock Infinite's gameplay was lackluster. That after time had passed, the game had soured on them (from a gameplay aspect). BUT because the story and world design was so fantastic, it deserved to be on the GOTY category.

antitrop

On the Bonus Round, all of the panelists (who also have voting power at the VGX), admitted that BioShock Infinite's gameplay was lackluster. That after time had passed, the game had soured on them (from a gameplay aspect). BUT because the story and world design was so fantastic, it deserved to be on the GOTY category.
My opinion on BI is exactly the opposite, I really enjoyed the gunplay, using the Vigors, and riding the Skyrails in combat, but felt the story fell dreadfully short of being truly great, especially in the closing hours (Vox Populi storyline completely falls apart).

I was much more fulfilled by the narrative of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, even. But I like shooting things, and shooting things in Bioshock Infinite was really fun, so it's still one of my top games of the year.

Mononoke

Banned
My opinion on BI is exactly the opposite, I really enjoyed the gunplay, using the Vigors, and riding the Skyrails in combat, but felt the story fell dreadfully short of being truly great, especially in the closing hours (Vox Populi storyline completely falls apart).

I was much more fulfilled by the narrative of Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, even. But I like shooting things, and shooting things in Bioshock Infinite was really fun, so it's still one of my top games of the year.

Eh, I actually hated Infinite's gameplay. So I actually agreed with them. I found the game to be a chore to get through because of that and the level design (and how they worked together). That said, just my opinion. I guess the point I was making to Derrick though was that, voters at the VGX believe that a game's story alone is enough to get it nominated.

If this is the criteria they are going with, then a game having a weak story should also be taken into account (when it comes to deciding the winner). So I agree with you, I think the Last of Us had tight gameplay/level design and a really good story. It's more of a full package, compared to GTA. Of course, opinions and such.

Top Bottom