• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox One policy "gross, despicable, greedy, pathetic, cowardly"

BLXHe4l.jpg

MS thought the world was just going to bend over.

Sophisticated Gamer (commenter) wrote:

"Sigh….people just don’t like change – i get it. But this time next year all the pre-release whining will be long forgotten and the Xbox-One will be a mainstay in the majority of living rooms across the world. Why? Simple – let us not forget that above all Microsoft makes the most cutting edge gaming hardware (uh, wii-u anyone? lol) and once people experience the jaw-dropping graphics and audio fidelity on games that are ONLY available on Xbox (Halo, Forza, Fantasia, Madden and COD) everything else from the competitors will feel like Sega Genesis quality. Also, the TV integration is a killer. Every household watches TV and being able to control my set with vocal commands or high fidelity motion gesture controls is something straight out of Minority Report. Welcome to the future. Get on or get off."

LMAO

Delusional

Probably hired by Microsoft

3rdman

My post was ignorant, my deepest apologies. I was wrong pure and simple.

Woah...this is the internet buddy. You're doing it all wrong...at this junction, you are supposed to tell him that he is an ass and that you'll be visiting his mother later tonight. C'mon...Internet 101 here folks!

chadskin

Thanks for the list. Hopefully more mainstream outlets get aboard the Fuck MS train and point out how anti-consumer that shit is.

Curufinwe

Sophisticated Gamer (commenter) wrote:

"Sigh….people just don’t like change – i get it. But this time next year all the pre-release whining will be long forgotten and the Xbox-One will be a mainstay in the majority of living rooms across the world. Why? Simple – let us not forget that above all Microsoft makes the most cutting edge gaming hardware (uh, wii-u anyone? lol) and once people experience the jaw-dropping graphics and audio fidelity on games that are ONLY available on Xbox (Halo, Forza, Fantasia, Madden and COD) everything else from the competitors will feel like Sega Genesis quality. Also, the TV integration is a killer. Every household watches TV and being able to control my set with vocal commands or high fidelity motion gesture controls is something straight out of Minority Report. Welcome to the future. Get on or get off."

LMAO

Delusional

He thinks Madden and COD are Xbox exclusives. How cute.

Yet I see WSJ there.

WSJ (and CNET) isn't a games media site, the deal between them and MS won't be very important, MS need them more. IGN on the other hand won't bite the hand that are feeding them. No #PS4NoDRM article and now not even a whimper as MS release a document which, for all intents and purposes, trashes the first sale doctrine.

Nice job polygon. As gamers, we shouldn't stand for what ms is doing. We shouod let friends know of the issues and hope they make the right choice and skip the xboner

ChryZ

I never read Polygon out of spite, but they'll earned it today ... so here's your click, Polygon.

*click*

God, just re-reading their clarifications makes me so angry. Thinking about not even watching the MS conference at this point. I honestly don't even want to engage with these fuckers right now.

Let's not forget that this is (for now) just one company doing this. At the moment, there are still viable alternatives and MS can still fall flat on their face. If Sony follows suit, that's when you can start crying that the sky is falling.
Fixed that for you. :)

You know it's a big deal when even Polygon realises they can't shill this one out unscathed.

I give them a 9 for integrity, I mean a 4, I mean a 6.

OT: I'm glad to see this getting so much press

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The meat of the issue with the argument expands well beyond games. The sidebar calls out a "growing global resentment for corporations." This is a large part of the problem.

Most people that go through business school come to realize this stance is preposterous. Corporations are merely a tool that allows individuals to accomplish more than they can alone. They have been the driving force for the the dramatic quality of life improvements we've seen over the last 100 years. Rallying against corporations when speaking to a business professional comes off as irrational and misguided. It immediately reduces the impact of any arguments that follow it. Especially when there have been specific examples of differences in vocal opinions on the internet and behavior in practice.

I keep reiterating this where ever I can, but I'll say it again. In theory anything that is good for publishers is good for consumers. Higher profits attract increasing investment. I do not see any conditions in place that would not allow the market to correct any mistakes made by platform holders. If Microsoft is wrong with their approach, the market will punish them.
I'll have to disagree with this. Not anything that's good for publishers is good for consumers too. Banning used games isn't, for example. Preventing the lending of them isn't either. Forcing people to be connected to the internet all the time is great for publishers as a marketing and ad delivering tool, but TERRIBLE for customers who don't have a reliable connection.

Increased investment isn't inherently good. It depends on how the money is used, and for what purpose. Spending more and more cash in marketing and PR doesn't translate in a benefit for us gamers.

Myself, I don't hate corporations per se, nor do I think they are all evil and out to screw us over. I do hate when corporations take this kind of anti-consumer measures, just to increase their profit margins. Rallying against corporations when they are taking one of these measures is not only a good thing, but shows that people are aware of their rights, and won't let them be taken away without a fight.

In the end the market will speak, either in favor of or against the Xbone. I sincerely hope it's the latter, and that MS learns stuff like this is not acceptable.

TheMan

That next to last line of the piece is moronic. Of course they're married to business...they ARE business. Microsoft's DRM is maddening and disheartening, but let's not kid ourselves.

1. Publishers almost certainly had a large part to play in this mess. Microsoft has to please publishers since they need their games.
2. Sony will be doing similar shit.
3. Most of you will cave and buy the thing anyway

BUT DAMN im glad I checked Gaf before I did. Still had to rub my eyes and re-read the name of the thread lol. Well done Polygon, atleast for today, you have a spine!

J_Lee

Banned
I can't believe Polygon said that never thought I would read something like that on their website for once I agree with them.
tumblr_m6zcuiVCJs1ro509g.gif

JDSN

Banned
Yeah, this story isn't going away. BBC, CNN, Forbes, NBC, Time and The Wall Street Journal have all reported on it:

A few things to note:

• VG247 have been denied E3 interviews.
  • TechnoBuffalo confirmed in their article that they've been also been denied interviews, as have some of their colleagues.
  • The list of confirmed outlets denied interviews is Giant Bomb, GI.biz, MCV, Tapezilla, VG247 and TechnoBuffalo. "Scheduling conflict", indeed.
  • While the Forbes pieces are from contributors, they're currently the most read articles on the entire site.

Edit: The story is currently on the front page of BBC, CNN, Forbes, NBC, Time and The Wall Street Journal.

ib3iAeB.png

shink

I really hope all this media coverage is seen by the general public at large.

I can still see that once MS start their marketing campaign all of this will be forgotten and Xbox Ones will be sold by the millions without a care in the world for these anti consumer practices.

royalan

That next to last line of the piece is moronic. Of course they're married to business...they ARE business. Microsoft's DRM is maddening and disheartening, but let's not kid ourselves.

1. Publishers almost certainly had a large part to play in this mess. Microsoft has to please publishers since they need their games.
2. Sony will be doing similar shit.
3. Most of you will cave and buy the thing anyway

Pretty much.

Also, I still don't understand the "anti-middle class" claim. Last time I checked, launch-priced consoles weren't a fundamental right.

Why do some people have a hard time believing that consumers can and WILL have spines.

I know I will. This will push me to a wii u now. I have no faith in the consumer because of the success of DLC.

People were outraged by that too at first and having to pay for it. Now people will pay say $60 for CoD and another $60 for DLC. Disgusting. Consumers will bitch and then buy it anyways. I'm finally done.

SeanR1221

Why do the headlines from gaming sites sound so immature? They can get their point across with a little more class so people take them seriously. Taking a dump in gamer's mouths? Really?

Top Bottom