• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox One policy "gross, despicable, greedy, pathetic, cowardly"

fred

Blimey, great list of articles in the OP!!! :Oo

I really can't see the One coming back from this anti-consumer bollocks, and I'm pretty sure that Sony will have changed their own stance on DRM after all of this unanimously negative press and backlash from gamers on boards across the world.

You can't even say that the 'casual' demographic is going to save it from abject failure because it isn't going to have the price advantage that the Wii had last gen, and that the Wii U is going to have this gen, and that's before you take into account that these 'casual' gamers won't be able to play their 360 games on their new console.

I really can't believe that Microsoft have fucked this up so badly tbh. They probably couldn't have fucked things up any more than this if they tried.

lvlzero

Banned
Well IIRC Japan has no rental market, so used games are a huge thing. With you being able to do what you want on PS3, Vita, PSP, DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U, Sony would probably struggle in a country where people will trade a game in within 2 days of buying it because they finished it!
Actually while nowhere as big as eu/us markets Japan does infact have a rental market for books games and dvds, and an expansive used game market too.

Quasar

Well IIRC Japan has no rental market, so used games are a huge thing. With you being able to do what you want on PS3, Vita, PSP, DS, 3DS, Wii and Wii U, Sony would probably struggle in a country where people will trade a game in within 2 days of buying it because they finished it!

Though I wonder how much Japanese developers would like being able to restrict/get a cut of used sales. Or is just charging high prices a better option for them.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
No.. this hasn't been the case for a while. We are free to do what we want now with our data plans.

Google "verizon tethering lawsuit", brah.

Lawsuit results doesn't apply to all plans. Hilariously, the removal of tethering restrictions only applies to the data capped plans.

olympia

I see a lot of allegations that Polygon is in cahoots with Microsoft. Is there any *actual evidence* for this?

The piece in the OP is pretty good.

The real question is how can MS expect to revive themselves in Japan with the Xbone's used game DRM BS?

Forget japan.
Drop mandatory kinect and try europe probably more money to get from europe then japan for microsoft.
That all they really have to do drop kinect connection and im fine.
Will buy games when on sales and digital version.

Goldmund

I see a lot of allegations that Polygon is in cahoots with Microsoft. Is there any *actual evidence* for this?
They aren't in cahoots with Microsoft. Their self-indulging and embarrassing documentary was sponsored by Microsoft (or rather Internet Explorer), their self-indulging and embarrassing reviews editor is a corporate apologist, and their soft-balling, review re-rating, exclusive review-taking, clique-tweeting and tact-lacking attitude rubs people the wrong way.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
LOL these people need to seriously get out of their parents basements and get a life, it's a video game console for Christs sake........you'd think Microsoft was selling their daughter into the sex slave industry.

Are you a viral marketer? You do know that you're on pretty much the largest video game forum on the internet. If the gold standard for making threads and discussing them is if the inconvenience is comparable to sex slaves, well then I guess neogaf is done. Someone notify Tyler to sell out.

My response to the thread:
I think Microsoft's games department is nuts. They have stiff competition in Japan and Europe, and abroad. These draconian rules without even the allure of really high end hardware is going to backfire so hard. They'll probably lose hard in Europe/Japan, and lose dominance in the US. I certainly don't give 2 shits about live TV.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Not enough use of Marketing scripts loaded with words like 'experience' or 'content', maybe 'added value to consumers'.

To be fair, the sex slave industry wouldn't have ownership over the daughter, but merely the license.

Well the content providers need to be reimbursed for their efforts. Can't have a third party reselling the used daughter without getting a cut. The providers have their own sons and daughters depending on their job.

commedieu

Banned
This dude right here fits the criteria.
oh man I Fucking knew it. I responded to that guy... the like steam, nonsense, is obviously a taking point. But it falls apart with anyone who knows what steam is.

that leads me to believe that Microsoft/pr has no idea what steam actually is ( to advise their shills.), which might explain why they seem so caught off guard.

I wonder if publishers painted a picture of gaming to ms that isn't exactly true.

All it needed was more social/cloud/connected whatever.

I don't expect them to bring up DRM during their conferences, but I *do* expect them to sell us the conditions that will *require* their DRM or paint those restrictions as an enhancement if you tilt your head and squint.

So I expect to see plenty of reasons why I would never, ever, ever want to be unplug my internet cable or kinect or whatever murder-death-fun robot the PS4 will have watching over us.

Verendus

Banned
I'm kind of surprised to see this article. Pleasantly surprised however. The more journalists, both gaming and mainstream, that call out this nonsense, the better it is for all of us.

All it needed was more social/cloud/connected whatever.

I don't expect them to bring up DRM during their conferences, but I *do* expect them to sell us the conditions that will *require* their DRM or paint those restrictions as an enhancement if you tilt your head and squint.

So I expect to see plenty of reasons why I would never, ever, ever want to be unplug my internet cable or kinect or whatever murder-death-fu- robot the PS4 will have watching over us.
Well, for now, we're all kind of safe. It's not going to be very different from the PS3, with a few changes, but who knows what the long-term future holds if MS ends up succeeding over these coming years. Maybe Sony will decide to take the absolute piss then too.

Thorgal

the future is now :(

taken from the link.

tumblr_inline_mgxuzm2i9xmb.gif

sTaTIx

Looks like Polygon saw their credibility in the gaming community going down precipitously (apparent Xbox favoritism, the outlier TLOU review score), and now they're in a desperate haste to salvage their sinking ship.

I remember visiting Polygon by chance--a site I never even heard of--on the day of the disastrous Xbox One reveal, and seeing absolutely no negative articles about the Xbox One whatsoever. Maybe they're trying to align themselves a bit more evenly now.

Roland1979

Even if it was like Steam, WHICH IT IS NOT, how would that make it a justification?
Suddenly two wrongs make a right? F*ck off with this nonsense. Comparing it to Steam is grasping a straw. Sure there will be some sales for games in some stores. But they will be not like on Steam, they will not be discounted that quickly, every AAA game is like standard $10 more expensive, then there's the DRM (cloud being mainly a excuse for that, also trying to boost a somewhat crippled console doesn't sound too good), there's the camera plus the fact they can change there policies at any time. The thing is also too big, it's focus is wrong and annoying for a hardcore gamer, it's full of features that only work for US citizens, i don't want to pay for Kinect (PS sells Move separately) and i can go on for a while.
the controller is nice though

Trine_2_XBLA.png

VS​

Trine_2.png

[repost from other thread]

Looks like Polygon saw their credibility in the gaming community going down precipitously (apparent Xbox favoritism, the outlier TLOU review score), and now they're in a desperate haste to salvage their sinking ship.

I remember visiting Polygon by chance--a site I never even heard of--on the day of the disastrous Xbox One reveal, and seeing absolutely no negative articles about the Xbox One whatsoever. Maybe they're trying to align themselves a bit more evenly now.

At this point, any gaming focused website that hasn't taken a shot at this crap MS is pulling has to know they're flushing their credibility down the drain. There's comes a point where all the moneyhats in the world don't make up for the loss in clicks siding with MS would cause, those rats not abandoning ship now likely won't be around in the next few years.

Top Bottom