• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox One policy "gross, despicable, greedy, pathetic, cowardly"

royalan

I'm really now curious to see how this whole XOne thing will turn out now. With gaming sites openly calling MS despicable will:

• Microsoft change their stances?
    [*]Gamers exemplify cognitive dissonance and purchase the XOne anyway?
  • Or will Microsoft's gaming division die a horrible death?

Nokterian

ib3iAeB.png

And here i thought he knew better like Angry Joe and Jim Sterling,but i am wrong he absolutly clueless of knowing a difference of a PC and Console.

totalbiscuitemkrtq.png

Jrs3000

I'm really now curious to see how this whole XOne thing will turn out now. With gaming sites openly calling MS despicable will:

• Microsoft change their stances?
  • Gamers exemplify cognitive dissonance and purchase the XOne anyway?
  • Or will Microsoft's gaming division die a horrible death?

Microsoft will not change there stance. Look at windows 8. They are still trying to ram it down our throats.

And here i thought he knew better like Angry Joe and Jim Sterling,but i am wrong he absolutly clueless of knowing a difference of a PC and Console.

totalbiscuitemkrtq.png

I didn't know him until very recently when he took his big stance against being anti- anti-consumer, but he's really fucking up right now.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't know him until very recently when he took his big stance against being anti- anti-consumer, but he's really fucking up right now.

He mostly became popular outside of eSports when he rallied against game companies for how ridiculous dlc has gotten. I guess maybe he thinks this will be the solution to the dlc problem.

Ding-Ding

Guess I should eat a bit of crow, as I've given them a hard time lately. Kudos for doing the right thing, Polygon.

I think we need to accept that chances are, they just noticed which way the wind was blowing and turned to catch it while they could.

With the amount of shit flying around, I really wouldn't be surprised if one of the big publishers went on record to renounce policies like these.

E3 will really determine the consoles success in the end. If the games look meh, you can expect a whole lot of gamers (including casual ones) just passing on it.

LuchaShaq

Banned
After how Polygon as a staff treated EA/Sim City like a wounded kitten worthy of protection I'm shocked they aren't saying XB1 anti used policy is somehow food.

Tellaerin

Between your other posts here and that avatar of yours, I'm beginning to suspect that the "gamers exemplify cognitive dissonance and purchase the XOne anyway" isn't so much something you're expecting as something you're really hoping will happen.

I really would like to know what you think you stand to gain from a scenario where this kind of DRM becomes the new norm for consoles, since you seem so keen on the idea.

jkanownik

I'll have to disagree with this. Not anything that's good for publishers is good for consumers too. Banning used games isn't, for example. Preventing the lending of them isn't either. Forcing people to be connected to the internet all the time is great for publishers as a marketing and ad delivering tool, but TERRIBLE for customers who don't have a reliable connection.

Increased investment isn't inherently good. It depends on how the money is used, and for what purpose. Spending more and more cash in marketing and PR doesn't translate in a benefit for us gamers.

Myself, I don't hate corporations per se, nor do I think they are all evil and out to screw us over. I do hate when corporations take this kind of anti-consumer measures, just to increase their profit margins. Rallying against corporations when they are taking one of these measures is not only a good thing, but shows that people are aware of their rights, and won't let them be taken away without a fight.

In the end the market will speak, either in favor of or against the Xbone. I sincerely hope it's the latter, and that MS learns stuff like this is not acceptable.

I'm confident that the market will sort it out. PR & marketing alone are not a viable long term strategy. The market only cares about the greater good. It doesn't pick sides or support the small guy. I'm not saying that Microsoft's policies are good or bad. I'm just saying there has to be a benefit to it or they'll fail. There is a difference between terrible marketing/communication and actually weighing the cost/benefits of a value proposition in a product. I'm reserving personal judgement until they show the benefits.

I wasn't around GAF at the time, but I assume there was a similar uproar about the $10 price premium for 360/PS3. In the end that money was invested directly into game quality. Everyone benefited from the increased quality. I'm sure some people still aren't happy about that though.

After how Polygon as a staff treated EA/Sim City like a wounded kitten worthy of protection I'm shocked they aren't saying XB1 anti used policy is somehow food.

Polygon is more than one person, this is an opinion piece by one guy that may have very different views from the staff members that were commenting on Sim City etc.

Gannd

Banned
no,numbers...

could it be that each game had a different reviewer? well, yes it could. and could it be, that they didn't like the last of us as much as the other reviewers? If I reviewed the last of us, my review would be outside of the mean because i do not like interactive cinematic experiences. would my voice not be worthy? you're the reason we have poor game criticism.

Valnen

totalbiscuitemkrtq.png

He doesn't really care about console gaming and I'm not sure he ever has.

I still find him to be one of the best channels on youtube.

TheD

The Detective

totalbiscuitemkrtq.png

I did like him at one point, but it is now plainly clear that he is a childish moron that has acted like a complete hypocrite (like how he attacked people for not caring about a game's FOV, saying that just because it does not affect you does not mean you should ignore that it does others, then he turns around and says that because he does not play old games he should not care about how the xbone affects people that do!)

This will be the first Microsoft console I definitely will not buy, even 2nd hand, even if Halo on Xbone is incredible. IMO Microsoft couldn't have done much worse if they tried at the reveal. Banning used games is such a bastard idea, I used to buy brand new games with the money I got from trading in my used games. And surely a real football deal with UEFA/FIFA and the Premiership etc would have been a good idea? How many people outside of the US care for American football? It wouldn't make a difference to me because I am just a gamer and don't care about stats.

Eusis

He doesn't really care about console gaming and I'm not sure he ever has.

I still find him to be one of the best channels on youtube.
That may well explain it, I'm not sure he realizes just how much more open PC is in general, and how overboard the X1 is for a closed platform. People would probably be more willing to grumble but accept if it were basically just 360/PS3 with activation codes instead of discs.

TheD

The Detective
That may well explain it, I'm not sure he realizes just how much more open PC is in general, and how overboard the X1 is for a closed platform. People would probably be more willing to grumble but accept if it were basically just 360/PS3 with activation codes instead of discs.

Funny how he attacks people all the time on twitter for logical fallacies then defends the xbone with a logical fallacy! (that it is like steam).

Arcoril

totalbiscuitemkrtq.png

Such a stupid argument. DRM devalues any product by restricting its use. PC games can be purchased for heavy discounts, so the prices reflect that. Give me 1-2 month old AAA titles on the XBOne for $15-30 and I'll gladly take the DRM.

nib95

Banned
Such a stupid argument. DRM devalues any product by restricting its use. PC games can be purchased for heavy discounts, so the prices reflect that. Give me 1-2 month old AAA titles on the XBOne for $15-30 and I'll gladly take the DRM.

Not only that, Steam is an open platform. You don't need a particular box to play it, and you can download a game an unlimited number of times on any PC, laptop etc, anywhere in the world.

Polygon is more than one person, this is an opinion piece by one guy that may have very different views from the staff members that were commenting on Sim City etc.

Are you sure? Because both of those things, as well as the last of us review, sound to me like "please click this and read it!!!"

I thought polygon were pro MS, why have they suddenly grown a pair? They think the xbone is gonna bomb and they don't wanna go down with it?

Tendo

wow, I thought totalbiscuit was cool

I unfollowed and unsubbed after those comments. Not only is he wrong, but he was a pompous dick to anyone that tried to have a dialogue with him. Won't support someone like that. Shame because the rest of that crew seems level headed. Thanks to him I found Angry Joe though, So there is a silver lining :)

Poke

Neo Member
I had no idea totalbiscuit was like that. I thought it was fishy when he was getting all up in arms with people using twitter to show displeasure at XBOX but now seeing all of this it's starting to make more sense. Total loss of respect.

jtb

Banned
this doesn't really change anything so polygon is still a pretty terrible site

i don't really care about their "allegiances," i'm more worried about shit like the sim city debacle. they can have whatever shitty (or, i guess in this case, non-shitty, late) opinions and editorial slant they want. i don't expect news agencies to be impartial, i do expect them to be competent—which polygon clearly isn't.

Top Bottom