• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox One policy "gross, despicable, greedy, pathetic, cowardly"

nib95

Banned
If my Internet connection ever died, I'd tether my Xbox to my iPhone and connect to Xbox Live through it for a minute.

It's really not that difficult.

Mental and physical gymnastics apparently.

How about they not have that stupid system check and let people use their consoles permanently offline if they want or need to?

You don't seem to understand the inherent problems that come with requiring a 24h check-in to use your games. Did you not follow that huge disaster with Sim City? People bought it, expected to be able to play a single player game, and could not. Not because of anything they did wrong, not because a natural disaster knocked out their internet for over a day, but because EA fucked up. And now Microsoft wants to implement a system wide restriction on the ability to use your purchases. They get all the power, you get none of it. You'll be completely dependent on them. It's not only grossly autocratic, but it opens up the very real likelihood that you won't be able to play any of your game, and for reasons that have no benefit to the consumers.

Sim City had server based gameplay. It's a different scenario to just needing to be connected to live. How often did Xbox Live go down for a major 360 release?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
If my Internet connection ever died, I'd tether my Xbox to my iPhone and connect to Xbox Live through it for a minute.

And what happens when the One stops being supported? What happens to your money spent on One games, when MS turn off Xbox Live?

Septimius

I don't get why you guys bother. Let him pout, then it doesn't matter if he's a shill or not. To me, it's just a broken record, anyway.

Sim City had server based gameplay. It's a different scenario to just needing to be connected to live. How often did Xbox Live go down for a major 360 release?

Oh god, Gies flashback.

do-not-want-jump.gif

Dali

How many people do I think own a smartphone?

I dunno, few hundred million?

smh, what a disingenuous response. You know what he meant. :/ Tethering is a pain in the ass for new Android devices. Used to be a simple process now I'd have to unlock my phone or pay Sprint for wifi tethering it seems. I've got pdanet and that allows usb tethering but wifi is jacked up and doesn't work (apparently due to Google being assholes and interfering with people using their devices how they wish). The usb requires a client so you can forget about using that on Xbone. It's not something everyone pays for through their cell company (as they don't need it enough to pay for it) or is savvy enough to set up otherwise.

If I can't post on NeoGAF, I don't give a fuck (nothing personal GAF).

If I'm locked out of the games I paid for because MS was hacked, or the servers are down for maintenance, or my router blew, or Comcast is being shitty, or any reason completely extraneous to the functioning of the console and the display device, I'm fucking livid.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes I just wanna hug bish. Then I see his avatar and run away in fear.

Az

I find you guys that give them attention almost as bad. They will keep coming back, and when you give them attention you just add fuel to the fire.

bndadm

I don't know what I would do right now with all this happening, if I did not know about NeoGAF.

Thank you all for helping me to learn, understand, and vent my deep-seated anger at this situation right now.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I find you guys that give them attention almost as bad. They will keep coming back, and when you give them attention you just add fuel to the fire.
The attention lets them reveal themselves and be taken care of swiftly.

given the GAF approval process, "they will keep coming back" would be quite a feat.

as it is I hope they are weeded out and shamed as publicly as possible until companies realize this shit does more harm than good.

There is a Jamacain saying ," The higher the monkey goes up the tree, the more you can see it's ass."

At least they can't make threads

Az

given the GAF approval process, "they will keep coming back" would be quite a feat.

as it is I hope they are weeded out and shamed as publicly as possible until companies realize this shit does more harm than good.

What I meant even after it was clear, people kept quoting and derailing the thread with him.
PM a mod, and that's that.

Durante

Looking back, I'm starting to feel thankful to EA for being the first to introduce the "cloud gaming" marketing term on a large scale with Sim City, and fucking it up colossally. Marketing must hate that.

Thank you EA, for making your marketing ploy so transparent and easily proven that even the least critical gamer will look twice before buying it again.

Septimius

Xbone Defense Form - Select One or Multiple

[] You are getting too emotional, allowing me to ignore what you say
[] Gamers are getting entitled again
[x] You're a fanboy/You just hate Microsoft
[x] NeoGAF/Reddit/the hivemind is biased
[X] Doesn't matter, you'll change your mind and buy the console anyway
[X] Gamers just don't like change
[] Gamers are just mad because it's not about them
[] Opinions don't matter, only sales matter
[] Debating about games is meaningless anyway
[X] This is the future
[x] It's the exact same thing as the PC market because of Steam, so you're a hypocrite
[x] My perfect internet connection invalidates your imperfect internet connection
[x] The sharing with 10 family members feature is HUGE

If this works like it sounds, it's a total system seller to me and more than makes up for any minor inconveniences. I can't believe they'd be so generous.

It's really obvious, actually

I won't lie, I have, more or less, perfect internet connection. The last time I was disconnected was for a few hours a few years ago, but I'm lucky. I also don't buy or sell games, I very rarely lend or borrow games and, genuinely, the DRM and restricted sales doesn't affect me.

I'm disgusted at the thing because, unlike some people and Microsoft themselves, I understand why it's a problem and I understand that just because I have had no issues in the past doesn't mean the potential isn't there to be completely without internet service. More to the point, I understand that not everyone has as much disposable income as I have where I can buy almost every game I want, some people have to be more reserved in their choices or they may have to give up a few games to get a new one or renting or borrowing may be their only real way to play games, it doesn't make them any less of a gamer, just not in a situation where they can afford to buy everything.

I also understand that used games were being blamed for reduced profits, but then Microsoft have handed the keys to the kingdom to the biggest "enemy" in GameStop meaning their policy hurts smaller retailers and independent deals more than anything else. I also understand the restructions aren't going to result in cheaper games because there's no "used market" draining any percieved profit.

Fundamentally, though, PSN was down at one point for nearly a month. Live is not some sort of fortress, regardless of what Microsoft would have you believe and every network has a weakness somewhere, there's nothing to indicate to me that Live will never, ever have issues.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I was wondering when Agent Dale Cooper would bite the dust....he had been skirting the line in the policy thread for awhile.

i checked agent coop's post history since i recall him acting like a normal human being in the ot. it's hilarious to see how he went from a seemingly regular poster to turning on the fucking astroturf afterburners with the 'family sharing is a system seller' horseshit.

What if the authentication servers get overloaded then, say when the next COD comes out?

That's precisely why they are moving Live to Azure, instead of keeping a fixed number of servers.

Cloud computing were made to deal with scalability surges. Of course, that's not to say that it's impossible that it will ever be offline, but it won't be from spikes in usage due major launches.

jimi_dini

You're trying to act like PC and consoles should be the exactly the same or the digital distribution can not be compared. When I buy a Steam game, I do it with the understanding I can not trade that game or gift it to a friend. Yeah, I can play it on the next PC I buy, as long as the game is supported by the architecture and operating system. That's an inherent pro of PC gaming. I don't count the fact I can't play Xbox One games on PS4 or possible on the next Xbox in 8 years as a black mark against it. It's just not something I expect with consoles.

I can't argue an opinion from anything but my own viewpoint. The issues you object to aren't issues to me. Xbox One actually does some things that I wish Steam did with digital purchases. The stuff it doesn't do, like an inherient compatibility with other systems, is something I'm accustomed to with console gaming. It doesn't stop me buying PS3 games knowing they won't work on PS4, and i'm not put off buying an Xbox One game because it's tied to the Xbox one system.

I think people just like a good whine and bitch. If people are constantly being actually affected by these design choices in a year, there will be a retaliation. Right now I don't put much value in the outrage because its not based on actual experiences they've had.

The 24 hour check in complaint from people with dozens of posts on a message board per day are hard to take seriously, personally.

Your issue should be with your ISP.

I've not had an Internet outage that's lasted more than 3 hours for...I dunno, 15 years?

I recently moved, actually. I arranged the transfer a few months in advance and had the engineer come the day I moved in. Was a pretty smooth process, can't complain.

It can happen. If you're not confident in your ability to have a reliable Internet connection, don't buy an Internet device I guess.

The type of always on with Diablo 3 and Sim City is different to requiring a connection to Xbox Live. Super genius.

Prime example here, folks. Watch and learn.

NEXT

DaleCooperShot.gif

Top Bottom