• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Xbox One policy "gross, despicable, greedy, pathetic, cowardly"

fvng

Didn't know Polygon was in Microsoft's pocket. Explains why they are the only website that gave the last of us a poor score.

Knoxcore

Well damn.

It's my sentiments entirely. There is nothing in MS plan for used games or DRM that benefits the consumer. Nothing. It is entirely focused inward on the financial health of MS, publishers and select retailers.

I'll say it again...everyone agrees we are in a transitional period from retail to digital distribution. So, leave used games alone and incentivize digital distribution. Let the market play out and gradually move people away retail. Putting up restrictions only makes people push back. Finally, get rid of intrusive DRM that makes it look like consumers are simply renting a game.

Acheteedo

And even them join the train.

zPROLiw.png

LOL, oh gaf.

TheLight

The noDRM campaign was cornered. The future was looking bleak. But GAF began to counter with their secret weapon: the media.

PJV3

LOL these people need to seriously get out of their parents basements and get a life, it's a video game console for Christs sake........you'd think Microsoft was selling their daughter into the sex slave industry.

It's money, corporate greed and holding people's wallets hostage.
I don't care if it was about tinned veg it's the principle.

They won't listen, but there's more of chance to make them by shouting.

EMT0

Banned
. It's aggressively anti-consumer and anti-middle class, and it outright ignores underprivileged gamers.

Did Polygon ride the MS train
dick
this entire gen out of some sort of misguided patriotism/Americana or something?

Goron2000

best junior ever
LOL these people need to seriously get out of their parents basements and get a life, it's a video game console for Christs sake........you'd think Microsoft was selling their daughter into the sex slave industry.
Are you lost? Do you know where you're posting?

Izick

OK? The news didn't really change. 'IF this is the policy, then people should stop overreacting. This is a good thing'

'This IS the policy, OH HELL NO'

I know it's a different writers but nobody knows these people. You are left with 'Polygon: This is great!' vs 'Polygon: this is BAD!!!!'

Bad move taking the MS money, you looks like tools no matter what you say. I feel bad of them on some level.

Can you link the article you're referencing? Are you sure they knew all the details about this, and they weren't saying "wait until we know before before deciding"? Then when they saw the final, written details, they decided that it was bullshit and they'd write an article about it?

I really don't see how that changes things. They waited for the official statement(s) and then gave their opinion. Not to mention saying "nobody knows these people" sounds like a lame excuse as well, especially for people who post on here and know a lot of these people through twitter, posting, etc.

To me it just sounds like they waited for the final info, and then sounded off on it.

I think most of what is said about Polygon and MS is said in jest - at least anything I've said there has been at least half tongue in cheek - but even so, the article is a bit surprising.

Complete truth though.

Yeah, half tongue in cheek. The other half is me amazed that they didn't understand what it would do to their credibility before they even really got going.

Gammacide

Wow. I love it. And I am SO glad so many sources both within gaming and without are bringing this to the attention of the buying public. No games should be worth this. This is about much more than games and buying a system so cleverly devised to keep everything out of the hands of the consumer is tantamount to letting big companies know you are perfectly fine with getting fucked over time and time and time again as long as there are flashy things to distract you.

Kade

Didn't know Polygon was in Microsoft's pocket. Explains why they are the only website that gave the last of us a poor score.

Yes, a 7.5 (meaning "A great but flawed game;easily recommendable" according to their review guidelines) is a poor score.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow, glad to finally see it from Polygon. Good for the writer.

WinFonda

Honestly, right now, if you're a press outlet giving Microsoft any positivity on Xbone and their DRM anti-consumer practices... your credibility is suspect with me. So good on Polygon.

Biker19

Banned
Looks like MS isn't given the benefit of the doubt by a lot of people now.

Is this the worst reputation a company has ever had going into E3? They're gonna have to blow everyone away with games, and even that might not do anything.

Just you wait until news like this gets spread all around social media sites like Facebook & Twitter, & on non gaming sites like MSN, Time, Yahoo, etc. like wildfire, if not already. That will really put the heat on MS.

What does Arthur Gies think of this?

I'm waiting for him to announce his resignation. This Chris fella seems to be the only one vocally saying anything negative about MS and their anti consumer ideals, hopefully he isn't the one who has to walk..

Walshicus

Underprivileged don't have internet access.
Middle Class trade in old games for new.

Makes sense to me.

Is this some weird American thing where your Middle Class is poor? Because if we're going to use that logic I can't understand how this affects the Middle Class (who are well off) rather than the Working Class (who aren't).

kafiend

Of all the stuff this week this has surprised me the most. Well done Polygon.

Also...

"Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose."

BILL GATES

Seik

Banned
That was a good read, I'm surprised it's made by poly. Nice.

Strangely. We don't see much of him around these parts these days.

I guess he's just thinking that we're not worthy of his opinion since we reprensent a tiny minority, hivemind or whatever the fuck he thinks of us.

Gaming journalism hasn't changed, nor are they standing up for gamers. This changes nothing as far as my attitude towards them.

There are big businesses out there that stand to lose money due to MS's next-gen policy, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that those companies are subsidizing this anti-MS campaign. Essentially, these gaming journos are switching from one pimp to another.

Credit where it's due. 'Twas a good article.

Maybe we have demonized game reporters a bit too much.

Many sites have been doing a good job covering the Xbone clusterfuck.

That was a good read, I'm surprised it's made by poly. Nice.

I guess he's just thinking that we're not worthy of his opinion since we reprensent a tiny minority, hivemind or whatever the fuck he thinks of us.

Neh, he owes a gaffer $10, he's pretending it never happened.

Zok310

Banned
Yep, keep them coming.
I feel pity for them now, i don't know why. This is like the worst fail of anything, ever.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I couldnt take any website seriously if they were spinning what we now know. Its pretty much unspinable.

Yep. Totally un-spinable. What a really crappy thing MS has done here.

Top Bottom