• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Yes, a new Marvel vs. Capcom game is in development. (X-Men gone, MCU focus)

Which Marvel character are you most looking forward to in MvC4?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That would require the MH team to cooperate and let their franchise be included, and they flat out said no last time. I'd love to see it represented, but I'd rather not get my hopes up.

Hm, an MvC without X-Men just feels wrong.

Yeah I know, but from UMvC3 to today Capcom hasn't been pulling much on franchises... I think they can twist the arm of the MH team

Groot seems like the kind of offbeat character Capcom loves implementing in these games (Shuma, M.O.D.O.K., Rocket Raccoon, etc.). Wouldn't be surprised at all.

Mags and Wolverine being DLC would be a plausible compromise, though people would eviscerate the fuck out of Capcom for that, even if Marvel's the one to blame there.

They could go for IP that's yet to be properly represented in the game (Dino Crisis, Breath of Fire, Monster Hunter, etc.)

And honestly, it wouldn't be the first time they've had to scrape the bottom of the barrel for Capcom newcomers. Hell, look at every Capcom newcomer aside from Jill in Marvel 2.
I remember being surprised that Groot didn't show up with Rocket in a meaningful way in 3.

Also, so the XMen thing ain't confirmed? We could still get Wolvie and Mags?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Everybody's talking about the Marvel side but I'm really wondering what the Capcom side will look like.

Capcom has basically made nothing original since MvC3? I mean what new Capcom characters could they possibly add with at this point? lol
When Ultimate was coming out, people had the same concerns, but there have been even less new Capcom IPs since then. Basically E.X. Troopers and a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff.

When people start anticipating a game and making roster lists, it always starts out as trying to take the last game, choosing the most popular characters because they think it will be efficient or save them money or something when in reality they will be making everything again from scratch, then slotting "reps" for games that have come out since but it never really works out that way. For the Capcom side I expect as big of a shakeup as the Marvel side will get, and as much as we got from MvC2 to MvC3.

I say it again and again, but there will be completely left field picks or characters you didn't expect to return, and people will be pissed. And those might not be MCU or prospecctive MCU characters necessarily either.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Some people have really unrealistic expectations.

Just because the X-Men getting axed they are not going to be replaced with Marvel characters most people say

YRZLkFC.gif

They are just getting replaced with the big Inhuman names and Marvel Movie characters.

lol Ms. Marvel and a bunch of people no one cares about.

Cerium

So does this mean Scarlet Witch is in or out?

I mean replacing fathers with their children is a longstanding fighting game tradition...

Spinky

As far as Resident Evil characters go, I'm expecting about four, with three of them being Leon, Claire and Jack Baker (the "welcome to the family, son" guy). Fourth is up for debate.

Mahvel 3 had four RE characters, three of which were from the most recent entry. RE7 will be coming out during the same year as MvC4, and the RE2 remake, featuring Leon and Claire, will probably come out the year after.

co1onel

Hunter from Monster Hunter with all the weapons represented in his various specials or BUST. Launching with a great sword up swing, dual swords air attacks, block with the sword and shield, wall bounce with a lance charge, OTG hammer golf swing etc.
I want to see an actual monster more than a hunter. Same rumor that said there were no x-men characters also said rathalos was in, hoping the second part is true.

That would require the MH team to cooperate and let their franchise be included, and they flat out said no last time. I'd love to see it represented, but I'd rather not get my hopes up.

Hm, an MvC without X-Men just feels wrong.
The MH team just didn't like the idea of there being a "default" image of a hunter. There's tons of other possibilities like palicos, monsters, or the characters from MH stories.

kunonabi

Going by just mcu characters shown and planned my wishlist is;

Captain America
Falcon
Scarlet Witch
Quicksilver
Vision
Ant-man
Wasp
Gamorra
Thanos
Captain Marvel
Black Panther
Luke Cage
Punisher
Daredevil

At the very least Daredevil better make it finally.

Oh shit, I just realized, with Runaways getting a TV series, we might actually get Runaways characters in the base game or as DLC.

Nico Minoru

Molly Hayes

Karolina Dean

Arsenic & Old Lace

Chase Stein

Molly is a mutant, so no go on her end.

Any of the others are possible, although I don't think we live in a just enough world for that.

nachum00

I'd say 15 characters for each side seems kinda realistic. So with X-Men gone and a large focus on the MCU I think the Marvel side might look like this.

Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Hulk
Doctor Strange
Star Lord
Spider Man
Black Panther
Captain Marvel
Thanos
Dormammu
Spidey Villain from the new movie
Ultron
Loki
Nick Fury/Black Widow/Hawkeye

Pretty damn boring but its what I expect.

Drayco21

So does this mean Scarlet Witch is in or out?

I mean replacing fathers with their children is a longstanding fighting game tradition...

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver haven't been showing up in any of the games since Marvel stopped approving the Mutants for game appearances- if the X-Men are out, she's probably out too.

Megatron

No X-Men, no interest.

Yeah, I am very mixed on this. I started reading comics in the late 80's with fantastic four. Byrne's run was just before my time, but I gathered all those issues up quickly and read them religiously. From there I moved on to X-men. Seeing what Marvel is doing to properties that they own, simply because they are pissy about a deal they agreed to makes me furious.

They are just getting replaced with the big Inhuman names and Marvel Movie characters.

Ugh. And I am so sick of them pushing the boring-ass Inhumans on us.

Just because the X-Men getting axed they are not going to be replaced with Marvel characters most people say

YRZLkFC.gif

Runaways no way in hell they gonna make it.
We did get Dormammu, MODOK, and Super Skrull on the initial roster.

Also this.

Fuck fight money. I'd rather buy traditional yet reasonably priced DLCs/Packs then have the fight money grindfest and waaaaay over priced DLCs.
I don't think adopting the Super SF4 model is a bad idea for Marvel, actually, since Marvel is a game about loads of options at the same time. Base game + DLC expansion with optional retail option + patches every couple of months (just minor stuff, with big system changes for the expansions).

Megatron

I'd say 15 characters for each side seems kinda realistic. So with X-Men gone and a large focus on the MCU I think the Marvel side might look like this.

Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Hulk
Doctor Strange
Star Lord
Spider Man
Black Panther
Captain Marvel
Thanos
Dormammu
Ultron
Loki

No way they leave out Rocket and Ant Man. Kamala Kahn is a lock, too. I expect Mikes to be in as a skin.

Captain America
Iron Man
Thor
Hulk
Doctor Strange
Star Lord
Spider Man
Black Panther
Captain Marvel
Thanos
Dormammu
Ultron
Loki

According to twitter it looks like Groot and Ant Man are in

Sesha

Molly is a mutant, so no go on her end.

Any of the others are possible, although I don't think we live in a just enough world for that.

Hopefully they'll pull a Squirrel Girl and just retcon Molly's mutant origins, since Molly's barely connected to the X-Men.

I dunno about the latter, though. They've been pushing Nico Minoru a bit with appearances in Avengers Arena, Avengers Undercover and A-Force, and Chase Stein appearing in the first two. There's also the TV series. Their chances are better now than five-six years ago, at least. I will remain catiously optimistic for Nico Minoru if/when the game is announced.

WinFonda

Wolverine and Swagneto would be very sorely missed. They are popular characters in their own right and are basically mainstays within the franchise.

Guardians of the Galaxy over-representation is my worst fear, but hey, I guess if it gets the game made.

I'm not drinking the kool aid of hype. Not after SFV. I'll be interested to see the reveal trailer but won't be handing over any money till I know it's a complete and functional game. I'm glad the game is being made but damn if I'm not skeptical of the final product.

Beelzebubs

YRZLkFC.gif

Runaways no way in hell they gonna make it.

When they included Rocket Raccoon, Shuma Gorath, Blackheart and multiple other lesser known (at the time) characters.

Skab

No way they leave out Rocket and Ant Man. Kamala Kahn is a lock, too. I expect Mikes to be in as a skin.

They could just as easily add other characters from those. People put to much faith in characters returning simply because they were there before. Doesn't mean anything.

Any of the other guardians should show up instead of Rocket, for example.

They could just as easily add other characters from those.

People put to much faith in characters returning simply because they were there before. Doesn't mean anything.

Any of the other guardians should show up instead of Rocket.
Only one of those characters is a veteran

When they included Rocket Raccoon, Shuma Gorath, Blackheart and multiple other lesser known (at the time) characters.

Different times. MCU was just starting and they didnt care for games.

Alone the X-Men getting axed is a obvious indication that Marve/Disney gonna have a huge say in it this time for what they want in it.

Pachinko

A reminder of who is in the cinematic universe (no TV/netflix here folks) -

The Good - Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, Thor, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Scarlett Witch, Quicksilver , Vision, War Machine, Ant-man, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Starlord, Groot, Rocket , Gamora , Drax, Howard the Duck , Dr Strange,
coming soon - Wasp, Captain Marvel , Nova ?

The Bad - Iron Monger, Whiplash , Killian, Red Skull, Winter Soldier, Zemo, Abomination, Loki, Malekith, Destroyer, Ultron, Strucker , Ronan, Thanos, Nebula , Collector,Kaecilius, Dormamu
coming soon - ???? Vulture ?

That's already possibly 42 characters to choose from. There are some redundant characters though , like Hulk will get in over abomination and I doubt they'd put in war Machine either. I'd also figure if Rocket came in , Groot would just be part of his character select , Gamora and Drax are probably out. Wasp/ant man would be the same character and I doubt either would make it in , too one note. Would make a better assist. I only wrote down Howard as a joke and Captain Marvel / Nova are also pretty similar aren't they ? Quicksilver is uh.. you know .. in the movies so that means Scarlett Witch would probably make it in but she'd have to be her movie version for sure , no potential confusion with the Xmen stuff (which also has the better movie Quicksilver...) Hawkeye is kind of lame and unpopular but black widow might work. So basically narrowing out the rest you still have at least 12 solid good guy Marvel characters only from the movies.

The movie villains are largely lame so it's pretty much down to picking the best of the worst - Ronan, Whiplash , Destroyer , Loki , Thanos , Dormamu , Red Skull, Winter Soldier would probably all work. That means you'd need to pull 4 bad guys from the comics to even out the roster to 12 bads for 12 goods , or cut it down to 8 and 8. My money is on 8/8 because if it's also 8/8 on the capcom side you'd end up with a nice 32 characters to start with which is roughly where MVC3 launched. Given that - reducing my selected 12 down to 8 , well, I guess I'd still throw captain America, Iron Man, Hulk and Spider-man in there because they've been in a bunch of the VS series already. For the other 4 - I think I'd keep the Rocket/groot dual character and Black Panther (easy wolverine replacement) , Scarlett witch just to make sure a woman is in there (and they could make her play similar to storm) and Doctor Strange because his movie just came out and he's so hot right now. I guess a single substitute is that maybe Thanos would be the main end boss and Nebula is on the bad team.

As for the Capcom side , well I don't know Ryu/Bison is the obvious SF2 rep Rashid/Necalli as the recent SF rep. Then I guess Morrigan because of course and uh maybe throw Dmitri in there (complete with fully functioning midnight bliss special attack). Then Dante/Virgil repping DMC and uh Megaman X finally repping megaman but in a twist throw Dr. wily in there complete with UFO and an attack that sends met hats out as projectiles. Chris/Wesker could return to rep resident evil. The last 4 could really be a mix of whatever - Frank West , Phoenix wright, Sir Arthur /Red Aramar , bionic commando , that monster hunter cat thing .

PSGames

Is it just me or does Polygon's article not refer to it as "PS4/PC" exclusive, while saying "coming to consoles next year"?

EDIT: Actually, it's better to ask directly to them, and see if they'll answer.

Wait was this expected to be console exclusive? That would be a travesty for a bunch of my friends if true.

What?! Why wouldn't Wolverine a d Magneto be in the game? Does it have to do with the movies? I thought Fox/Sony had the rights of the characters for the movies only.

What?! Why wouldn't Wolverine a d Magneto be in the game? Does it have to do with the movies? I thought Fox/Sony had the rights of the characters for the movies only.

They do, but Marvel might want to give those spots to give to characters that they stand to make more money by promoting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom