• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Yes, a new Marvel vs. Capcom game is in development. (X-Men gone, MCU focus)

Which Marvel character are you most looking forward to in MvC4?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what I'm getting at from the Polygon article is that Marvel only agreed to another Versus game because it would push their MCU IPs out in the console game front hence the blockade of X-Men and Fantastic Four characters.

I wonder if the character's default costumes and designs will take inspiration from the MCU as well.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Different times. MCU was just starting and they didnt care for games.

Alone the X-Men getting axed is a obvious indication that Marve/Disney gonna have a huge say in it this time for what they want in it.

They had a huge say in 3. Shuma and Sentinel were the only characters Capcom really pulled for that wouldnt have made it anyway.

nachum00

I remember everyone saying characters like Dormammu and MODOK being in vs Venom and X Men was because of the big MCU push :p

True, hopefully Capcom has some sway because they seem to like some of the stranger characters like MODOK and Shuma.

I'm just trying not to hype myself up

Jawmuncher

Getting regina, devil dinosaur, and Hauzer in the same game would be amazing.

Thankfully unlike Smash, I don't have as much personal investment here. I mean I do, but if Regina doesn't show up I at least have Resident Evil characters to fall back on.

But I really hope she does show up. Cut down on some bigger IPs, and let more series get a chance. Instead of 4 RE and SF characters make it 3. Instead of 3 darkstalkers make it 2, etc. Get the most amount of a capcom catalog in there.

Sesha

Rocket is popular, has several game appearances outside of UMvC3, and has had his own comic at several points now. They're not gonna leave him out of 4, and I doubt he will be DLC.

Getting regina, devil dinosaur, and Hauzer in the same game would be amazing.

Thankfully unlike Smash, I don't have as much personal investment here. I mean I do, but if Regina doesn't show up I at least have Resident Evil characters to fall back on.

But I really hope she does show up. Cut down on some bigger IPs, and let more series get a chance. Instead of 4 RE and SF characters make it 3. Instead of 3 darkstalkers make it 2, etc. Get the most amount of a capcom catalog in there.

Can you imagine having Regina and Devil Dinosaur in the same game? Oh Lawd.

You know who we are going to need: Miguel O'Hara

He'll show up as a palette swap. won't be a character on his own, if anything.

Rocket is popular and has had his own comic at several points now. They're not gonna leave him out of 4, and I doubt he will be DLC.

Foolkiller and slapstick have their own comics. that doesn't mean anything.

Marvel tends to include characters to promote upcoming movies and shows, so rocket probably won't make it in as anything more than an assist if Groot is already there.

Beelzebubs

Different times. MCU was just starting and they didnt care for games.

Alone the X-Men getting axed is a obvious indication that Marve/Disney gonna have a huge say in it this time for what they want in it.

Which does not mean too much when it comes to the game roster, Marvel allow references to multiple characters in the MCU, from references to the original Human Torch, Howard the Duck to characters that have appeared in the TV shows like Dethlok, Quake, Graviton, Mr Hyde.

Just because these characters do not have a solo movie does not mean they are not viable for a fighting game roster, and by your original logic we wouldn't see the Runaways, even though they are getting their own show.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Runaways have a decent shot because Marvel Studios absolutely loves them and I can see one of them getting one of the quirky character slots.

Anth0ny

Marvel side is easy:

Iron Man
Cap
Thor
Spider-Man
Hulk
Black Widow
Hawkeye
Loki
Ultron
Dr. Strange
Rocket Raccoon
Star Lord
Groot
Black Panther
Winter Soldier
Vision
Scarlett Witch
Ant Man
Wasp
Daredevil

That's 20 and there's a whole lot more they can sell as DLC.

Capcom side should honestly just be the MVC3 Capcom lineup with Megaman Classic. They nailed the Capcom side with 3, and there hasn't really been anyone new since then.

Flux

Too bad the movie deal politics are bogging down development of the game. Damnit I want all the marvel characters possible.

Wanderer5

I wouldn't be sad about no x-men or F4 (through it still sucks as a whole), but I hope they don't limit to MCU for the marvel side.

Sesha

Foolkiller and slapstick have their own comics. that doesn't mean anything.

Marvel tends to include characters to promote upcoming movies and shows, so rocket probably won't make it in as anything more than an assist if Groot is already there.

Foolkiller and Slapstick ain't popular, their newest comics are very recent compared to Rocket who's been a comic mainstay for a while now, and haven't been in a $700m grossing movie.

I fully expect a voiced alt of Spider-Gwen for Spider-Man (maybe even a unique victory animation), and Gwenpool if Deadpool makes it.

Deadpool is absolutely not making it in. that character is 100% fox.

Foolkiller and Slapstick ain't popular, and haven't been in a $700m grossing movie.

Multiple characters from a 700 million grossing movie is pointless when marvel has many other properties it wants to promote without representation. Thor: Ragnarok, Infinity War 1/2, New Warriors, Captain Marvel, Cloak and Dagger, The inhumans TV show, Defenders, Punisher, and possibly runaways are all coming.

We know Groot is in, and Star Lord is a bigger draw than Rocket is.

Jawmuncher

Rocket is popular, has several game appearances outside of UMvC3, and has had his own comic at several points now. They're not gonna leave him out of 4, and I doubt he will be DLC.

Can you imagine having Regina and Devil Dinosaur in the same game? Oh Lawd.

The banter alone would be worth it between the two.

Blueblur1

Is it just me or does Polygon's article not refer to it as "PS4/PC" exclusive, while saying "coming to consoles next year"?

EDIT: Actually, it's better to ask directly to them, and see if they'll answer.

In follow-up tweets McWhertor said he has no platform info.

@MikeMcWhertor said:
@DonAbbade sorry, I don't!

Tweet Link

Also, he told Ian Walker (who freelances for Red Bull eSports) that the only confirmations are characters they're adding. The removal of X-Men characters is based on deduction.

@MikeMcWhertor said:
@iantothemax Specifics on who's in. Deduction on who's out. No more info to give other than that.

Tweet Link

They had a huge say in 3. Shuma and Sentinel were the only characters Capcom really pulled for that wouldnt have made it anyway.

But the difference is this time they have characters established/upcoming they can promote with this.

Why would they pick a random unknown Marvel character if they can give the spot to a movie character.

Heck apparently they cant even have 2 spots free for Magneto and Wolverine.

Prototype

More I think about it the more I'm OK with no Xmen

Will change things more than nearly anything else, and there are still plenty of characters to choose from.

war machine, vision, black panther, Ultron, Loki, Hulk Buster, groot, star lord, Destroyer, winter Soilder,

No shortage of characters by any means.

Toad.T

Banned
You know who we need as a joke character?

Paste Pot Pete.

Paste_Pot_Pete_Model_Sheet_by_Nes44Nes.jpg

Fuck Venom, Fuck Green Goblin, Fuck all other fake-ass villians. PPP is the one true Spidey villian rep we need.

But the difference is this time have characters established/upcoming they can promote with this.

Why would they pick a random unknown Marvel character if they can give the spot to a movie character.

Heck apparently they cant even have 2 spots free for Magneto and Wolverine.
Wolverine and Magneto could still be in, and like Dormammu they can introduce future characters

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
More I think about it the more I'm OK with no Xmen

Will change things more than nearly anything else, and there are still plenty of characters to choose from.

war machine, vision, black panther, Ultron, Loki, Hulk Buster, groot, star lord, Destroyer, winter Soilder,

No shortage of characters by any means.

So we will have Iron Man, Military Industrial Iron Man, Fat Suit Iron Man and Robo Iron Man.

I just hope the Capcom side has just as much or more variety than they did in 3. I miss lesser known characters like Jin Saotome, Samba Amigo, Sonson, and the Darkstalkers. I feel like its just gonna be stuffed full of Street Fighter mainstays and other current major franchines (Resident Evil, Dead Rising, etc)

Marvel side is easy:

Iron Man
Cap
Thor
Spider-Man
Hulk
Black Widow
Hawkeye
Loki
Ultron
Dr. Strange
Rocket Raccoon
Star Lord
Groot
Black Panther
Winter Soldier
Vision
Scarlett Witch
Ant Man
Wasp
Daredevil

That's 20 and there's a whole lot more they can sell as DLC.

Capcom side should honestly just be the MVC3 Capcom lineup with Megaman Classic. They nailed the Capcom side with 3, and there hasn't really been anyone new since then.

but wheres howard the duck? everyone loves howard the duck. give the people what they want, the people demand howard!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom