• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Zelda, Horizon and Mass Effect all struggle with trans characters

Arkage

Banned
I find it confusing how Dale characterizes trans as something you can "discover" by putting on women's clothing, via her Link example. That seemingly contradicts what others described in a separate trans thread, where the claim was that such individuals are born (genetically) with essentially a female brain while in a man's body, and that cultural norms (aka women's clothing) would have nothing to do with it.

Platy

I find it confusing how Dale characterizes trans as something you can "discover" by putting on women's clothing, via her Link example. That seemingly contradicts what others described in a separate trans thread, where the claim was that such individuals are born (genetically) with essentially a female brain while in a man's body, and that cultural norms (aka women's clothing) would have nothing to do with it.

But you are hammered for years that you are a boy to the point of burying it deep.

In some older cases it even is like "ok I feel like a woman but I never saw anyone like that so what can I do?" Because you don't even consider being trans a possibility because what is a trans ? A miserable pile of lack of representation

Her headcanon is that the clothing makes her understand what those buried feelings are.

This reminds me that I wish the Gerudo clothes were upgradeable.
Buy the Gerudo Voe clothing, it looks cooler anyways.
But you are hammered for years that you are a boy to the point of burying it deep.

In some older cases it even is like "ok I feel like a woman but I never saw anyone like that so what can I do?" Because you don't even consider being trans a possibility because what is a trans ? A miserable pile of lack of representation

Her headcanon is that the clothing makes her understand what those buried feelings are.
This is silly though, you can't gleam this from a shocked and embarrassed emotion. Anyone who had to mascaraed as the opposite gender and was then told they pulled it off well would react the same way.

Taruranto

The Zelda part is definitely reaching, it feels written by someone unaware of crossdressing tropes in Japanese works trying to find something that isn't there.

No, I think it says more of the industry that someone has to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find trans characters in games.

Try looking beyond AAA games. A Japanese visual novel came out last year with an
intersex character that experiences gender dysphoria
, handled with a maturity and weaved with the story's main theme in a way you never see in the medium, I wonder how many know about it or played it. Maybe journos should praise that, but I guess it's not popular enough to warrant publicity.

Fhtagn

There is no one singular trans experience. Some/many people know they are trans in early childhood. Others don't realize it until much later in life. I have read essays/articles over the years where people have mentioned wearing women's clothes as part of a costume being an important step on the way to self awareness. It can happen. Doesn't mean it's the most common situation, but it's plausible, and when one is crafting their own head canon, plausible is all you need.

Neptonic

If I entered a female only city disguised as a woman, surrounded by large, imposing, well armed women who would beat the crap outta me if they figured out I was actually a dude, i'd probably try and sell my disguise as hard as possible. That's why Link embraces his feminine side. To get the job done.
No, I think it says more of the industry that someone has to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find trans characters in games.
Nier 1 is not bottom of the barrel.
I guess technically Kaine is a hermaphrodite which is different than transgender

Top Bottom