• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I hope the next OT takes my title suggesting since we are heading to the ARTPOP era anyways

imdrYoGlJYJ6O.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Gold star worthy tbh *.*

PLatinum stars should be handed out to people who organize something like PopOlympics, and people who do a fine job with the OT or within the community.

This OT is definitely Platinum Star worthy, for instance. Aguila is killing it *.*

I agree. Those who goes through the work of making PopGaf Events and This OT should be Platinum Stars. Reviews could be Gold, Silver and Bronze depending the set standards for reviews.

I think we should be setting for the next OT maybe (Its not that far if we keep moving as fast as we have been going) we should set the amount of words that get Gold, Silver and Bronze.

I agree. Those who goes through the work of making PopGaf Events and This OT should be Platinum Stars. Reviews could be Gold, Silver and Bronze depending the set standards for reviews.

I think we should be setting for the next OT maybe (Its not that far if we keep moving as fast as we have been going) we should set the amount of words that get Gold, Silver and Bronze.

Not sure I want word count to determine it. Could get out of hand. Though I would support a minimum.

I think you should be able to get up to 3 stars for reviews in a single OT. Can get platinum for one that is obviously excellent and of very high quality.

I much prefer one excellent review with nice organization...graphics...and honesty (aka not "I like this artists so 10/10" or "lol Rihrih 1/10") to five or six meh reviews. Quality>Quantity.

itor2L2Mhy76W.gif

It's official. Dubstep has ruined pop music.

Even when there isn't an obvious dubstep breakdown, songs today need to have a moment where the song desintegrates into a noizy skrillex-inspired mess. And that noizy mess is placed where the chorus normally used to be. As a result, what obviously should've been the chorus originally, is now pulled forward to the pre-chorus (or buildup) and never fully materializes or climaxes.

Examples: the bold is what should be the chorus but sounds like the build-up because there's no beat under it, the italic is the chaos that's the actual "chorus" because there is a beat, even though it's devoid of any melodic qualities.

• Rihanna - Where have you been
    Where have you been all my life... where have you been all my life... wub pfrrrrtt bzzzzzz djang djang djang wub wub
  • Rihanna - Jump
    if you want it, let's do it, ride it, my pony, my saddle is waiting, come and, jump on it... wub wubwubwub jump jump wub bzzzzzt jump jump wubwub
  • Leona Lewis - Glassheart
    ...promise we'll never fall apart, and I love you with my glassheart.... wubwubwubzzzzz and I love you with my glassheart beeezzzzretz grrrzst wub
  • Kesha - Warrior
    ...It's how we always been. Warrior ior ior Warrior ior ior ... Now this is our time pffrrrurutututt stand up for true love dzzzzzzzzzz
  • Kesha - Crazy Kids
    And we are the crazy kids, them crazy kids, we are the crazy people... I see you in the club wub wub...
  • Kesha - Supernatural
    ...When you take my body to the stars I believe it, boy this love is supernatural, can you feel it... pfrrrrrt come take me by the hand kgrrezezzezzzzz

With some of those songs you could even say there isn't really a chorus in the song at all. It's just a build-up to a chorus, and some weird mixture of a middle-eight and verse afterward.

Luckily with some of these songs, at the very end, things come together and you get the "build-up" moment, but backed with a good beat, which makes it sound very chorus-like (what it should've been all along). I think of the end of Glassheart and Supernatural for example.

tldr: nowadays so many potentially awesome popsongs get ruined by weird - dubstep inspired- structure and sounds.

Vazra

Not sure I want word count to determine it. Could get out of hand. Though I would support a minimum.

I think you should be able to get up to 3 stars for reviews in a single OT. Can get platinum for one that is obviously excellent and of very high quality.

Well it can be also determined by various factors besides just word count. For example the presentation, formatting etc. Sometimes the reviews don't need to be extremely long to be great as long as they do the main purpose with enough details that say why its good or bad.

Gold: Wonderful Presentation, Formatting and detailed opinions of why things are good or not.

Silver:Good Presentation, Formatting and some good details. It could have been better presented or written but its a good job anyway.

Bronze: Some presentation and details certainly not a lot of thought went into it but it tried to add something.

EDIT: Not trying to be biased should be the best and if you do give something that might seem biased you need to be pretty elaborate before slapping the scores. You can either do some opening comments/Closing comments or talk about it as you write track by track reviews of why you think something its great but don't trashing some artist just because you dont like it. So I agree with Wafflecakes on that aspect.

royalan

Even when there isn't an obvious dubstep breakdown, songs today need to have a moment where the song desintegrates into a noizy skrillex-inspired mess. And that noizy mess is placed where the chorus normally used to be. As a result, what obviously should've been the chorus originally, is now pulled forward to the pre-chorus (or buildup) and never fully materializes or climaxes.

Examples: the bold is what should be the chorus but sounds like the build-up because there's no beat under it, the italic is the chaos that's the actual "chorus" because there is a beat, even though it's devoid of any melodic qualities.

Where have you been all my life... where have you been all my life... wub pfrrrrtt bzzzzzz djang djang djang wub wub
  • Rihanna - Jump
    if you want it, let's do it, ride it, my pony, my saddle is waiting, come and, jump on it... wub wubwubwub jump jump wub bzzzzzt jump jump wubwub
    ...promise we'll never fall apart, and I love you with my glassheart.... wubwubwubzzzzz and I love you with my glassheart beeezzzzretz grrrzst wub
  • Kesha - Warrior
    ...It's how we always been. Warrior ior ior Warrior ior ior ... Now this is our time pffrrrurutututt stand up for true love dzzzzzzzzzz
  • Kesha - Crazy Kids
    And we are the crazy kids, them crazy kids, we are the crazy people... I see you in the club wub wub...
  • Kesha - Supernatural
    ...When you take my body to the stars I believe it, boy this love is supernatural, can you feel it... pfrrrrrt come take me by the hand kgrrezezzezzzzz

With some of those songs you could even say there isn't really a chorus in the song at all. It's just a build-up to a chorus, and some weird mixture of a middle-eight and verse afterward.

Luckily with some of these songs, at the very end, things come together and you get the "build-up" moment, but backed with a good beat, which makes it sound very chorus-like (what it should've been all along). I think of the end of Glassheart and Warrior for example.

tldr: nowadays so many potentially awesome popsongs get ruined by weird - dubstep inspired- structure and sounds.

Amen.

Glad my fave avoided the trend.

ibwUiSq8QcL6sU.gif

Well it can be also determined by various factors besides just word count. For example the presentation, formatting etc. Sometimes the reviews don't need to be extremely long to be great as long as they do the main purpose with enough details that say why its good or bad.

Gold: Wonderful Presentation, Formatting and detailed opinions of why things are good or not.

Silver:Good Presentation, Formatting and some good details. It could have been better presented or written but its a good job anyway.

Bronze: Some presentation and details certainly not a lot of thought went into it but it tried to add something.

Yeah that would work.

Just needs some structure so it doesn't get out of hand.

Vazra

Yeah that would work.

Just needs some structure so it doesn't get out of hand.

Take maybe some of the existing reviews and put em as Guidelines for what is a Gold/Silver/Bronze I guess. I think mine usually are silver while Marius and some others go more detailed and should get gold. Posters who just slap scores to tracks and don't detail at all why Bronze or maybe nothing depending how much content its lacking.

Majmun

wub pfrrrrtt bzzzzzz djang djang djang wub wub
wub wubwubwub jump jump wub bzzzzzt jump jump wubwub
wubwubwubzzzzz and I love you with my glassheart beeezzzzretz grrrzst wub
Now this is our time pffrrrurutututt stand up for true love dzzzzzzzzzzpfrrrrrt
come take me by the hand kgrrezezzezzzzz

ipxfRIwwjSup9.gif

Artemisia

Banned

Luckily with some of these songs, at the very end, things come together and you get the "build-up" moment, but backed with a good beat, which makes it sound very chorus-like (what it should've been all along). I think of the end of Glassheart and Warrior for example.

Idk why you didn't use Die Young because it's the perfect example of this.

The song begins with the chorus, then enters a breakdown, and follows that pattern until the final chorus is layered with the breakdown.

I still love the song though. That structure works well only if that dubstep part can layer well with the rest of the song, which in most cases it doesn't.

Take maybe some of the existing reviews and put em as Guidelines for what is a Gold/Silver/Bronze I guess. I think mine usually are silver while Marius and some others go more detailed and should get gold. Posters who just slap scores to tracks and don't detail at all why Bronze or maybe nothing depending how much content its lacking.

Should start next OP imo.

Cleaner transition.

But yeah examples would be good....and Aguila is arbiter and gets to make final decision. We don't get to rage over stars.

royalan

Dubstep is just ruining music period. Shit needs to fucking die.

But the thing is it DID die. Late 2011-Early 2012 public derision kicked in and dubstep seemed to be going away.

But somehow It. Came. Back.

I blame that damn Microsoft commercial. I really fuckin' do...

Vazra

Should start next OP imo.

Cleaner transition.

But yeah examples would be good... and Aguila is arbiter and gets to make final decision. We don't get to rage over stars.

Exactly. Next OP since we are already more than halfway here. Is Aguila going to tackle the next OP?

Now that I've come to think of it, Britney's Hold It Against Me, might be one of the earliest examples of this messed up song structure with the never-climaxing build-up followed by shitty beats.

Idk why you didn't use Die Young because it's the perfect example of this.

The song begins with the chorus, then enters a breakdown, and follows that pattern until the final chorus is layered with the breakdown.

I still love the song though. That structure works well only if that dubstep part can layer well with the rest of the song, which in most cases it doesn't.

True. About half of the songs on Warrior follow an abnormal song structure. But in this case I guess it's in the ears of the beholder, because in Die Young I'm not put off by the post-build up beats. That part actually has a synthezised melody in it, and none of that dubstep terribleness. So it sort of resembles a chorus, even though Kesha barely sings in that part.

cory64

It's definitely a product the general EDM scene, not just dubstep, it's just more noticeable when it's coming from that spectrum.

Rih was doing dubstep right 15 albums ago. (G4L)

Bladenic

But the thing is it DID die. Late 2011-Early 2012 public derision kicked in and dubstep seemed to be going away.

But somehow It. Came. Back.

I blame that damn Microsoft commercial. I really fuckin' do...

You mean that absolutely TERRIBLE Alex Clare song? Ugh.

Also I do think Ke$ha went a tad overboard with the dubstep. But Die Young? I may be being very dense right now but I don't think that has dubstep elements.

Artemisia

Banned
Okay? Not all f those songs sound dubstep like.

Not even sure what you're trying to prove with that, yes Ke$ha used Dr. Luke too much. Perra is seething.

I was just mentioning that because it seems that a lot of the biggest offenders of this 'dubstep trend' are produced by Dr. Luke.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
So, while I'm trying to DIVERSIFY MY TASTES, is Nicola Roberts' solo outing worth using? I recall Lucky Day being a jam

Short answer: yes. Long answer: YAAAAAAAAAS.

nicolahairflip.gif

Also I want to clear up a confusion. I don't think the breakdown in Supernatural is dubstep. It's closer to French House by my ear.

royalan

I was just mentioning that because it seems that a lot of the biggest offenders of this 'dubstep trend' are produced by Dr. Luke.

I'm getting really sick of Dr. Luke.

Actually, I'm getting really sick of the whole Super Producer trend. I used to enjoy seeing these behind-the-scenes guys getting their shine. But it has gotten to the point where now the producers themselves are so fucking unoriginal, and with only a handful of them getting passed around like Taylor Swift at a beard convention it means half of the Pop songs in the Top 40 sound exactly the same.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Actually, I'm getting really sick of the whole Super Producer trend. I used to enjoy seeing these behind-the-scenes guys getting their shine. But it has gotten to the point where now the producers themselves are so fucking unoriginal, and with only a handful of them getting passed around like Taylor Swift at a beard convention it means half of the Pop songs in the Top 40 sounds exactly the same.

iBJWbcoazNhmu.gif

Also,

tumblr_me97vxYad71rvdwufo1_500.gif

cory64

Actually, I'm getting really sick of the whole Super Producer trend. I used to enjoy seeing these behind-the-scenes guys getting their shine. But it has gotten to the point where now the producers themselves are so fucking unoriginal, and with only a handful of them getting passed around like Taylor Swift at a beard convention it means half of the Pop songs in the Top 40 sound exactly the same.

Only super producer I trust is Diplo.

Artemisia

Banned

Actually, I'm getting really sick of the whole Super Producer trend. I used to enjoy seeing these behind-the-scenes guys getting their shine. But it has gotten to the point where now the producers themselves are so fucking unoriginal, and with only a handful of them getting passed around like Taylor Swift at a beard convention it means half of the Pop songs in the Top 40 sounds exactly the same.

you just had to use that metaphor

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

But I agree with you. Because a lot of the main girls are using the same producers (Max Martin, Dr. Luke, Greg Kurstin), it becomes difficult to distinguish their music. I think this is why Gaga and Rihanna stand out more than the others (Gaga also co-produces all her music so that may factor in as well).

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

It can depend on the quality of the artist too though. I mean, Earth Intruders was made on the tail end of Timbaland producing every pop song ever, but it still sounds fresh, exciting and definitively Björk while 4 Minutes just sounds like Timbaland.

Ditto for Acapella. Could you honestly say, without knowing, that David Guetta created it? No, because Kelis is too good for that.

Only super producer I trust is Diplo.
'Reused Pon De Floor for 800 songs' Diplo?

you just had to use that metaphor

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

But I agree with you. Because a lot of the main girls are using the same producers (Max Martin, Dr. Luke, Greg Kurstin), it becomes difficult to distinguish their music. I think this is why Gaga and Rihanna stand out more than the others.

Cl8IK.gif

I just can't...

ibegqQUTbgslWh.gif

• Rihanna - Jump
  • Kesha - Warrior
  • Kesha - Crazy Kids
  • Kesha - Supernatural

Luckily with some of these songs, at the very end, things come together and you get the "build-up" moment, but backed with a good beat, which makes it sound very chorus-like (what it should've been all along). I think of the end of Glassheart and Supernatural for example.

Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will sav
tumblr_m2a02iYwRJ1r6hffko1_500.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'm not a Rihanus fan either, but her sound is pretty distinct in the pop scene.

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

90% of this is because of her voice though.

Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will save us.Robyn will sav
tumblr_m2a02iYwRJ1r6hffko1_500.gif

I don't know where she's been this year. She told us she was working on a followup to Body Talk last year...now she says she hasn't had time to record because she's been too busy touring.

I don't think I can wait another three years for more Robyn. I need it.

Clearly the public disagrees with you with her #1 single and ALBUM this week.

She has you so PRESSED

bye

I take nothing away from her success with sales and charts.

The question is whether a week after its off the radio people will remember it. Which historically has not been the case. She has no "iconic" song imo.

When someone mentions Kelly Clarkson, Gaga, Xtina, etc usually they immediatly jump to a song like Since U Been Gone, Poker Face, or Beautiful......with Rihrih its whatever was last released.

Her Genericness is actually probably a key to her success. How do you tire of an artist whose songs you forget 5 minutes after listening to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom