• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I take nothing away from her success with sales and charts.

The question is whether a week after its off the radio people will remember it. Which historically has not been the case. She has no "iconic" song imo.

When someone mentions Kelly Clarkson, Gaga, Xtina, etc usually they immediatly jump to a song like Since U Been Gone, Poker Face, or Beautiful......with Rihrih its whatever was last released.

Her Genericness is actually probably a key to her success. How do you tire of an artist whose songs you forget 5 minutes after listening to them?

Umbrella is iconic. Whether or not you think of Umbrella when her name comes up is irrelevant since she has you pressed.

bye

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Umbrella is definitely iconic. You can barely say the world 'umbrella' now without someone saying 'ella ella ey ey'.

Umbrella is definitely iconic. You can barely say the world 'umbrella' now without someone saying 'ella ella ey ey'.

The SONG is iconic.....its barely associated with Rihanna though imo. She brings so little to the music that people barely connect the two sometimes.

ibjKW8CzMgt1Wc.gif

royalan

Yeah I don't think any other pop girl could pull off Man Down or No Love Allowed or even What's My Name.

13GVX.jpg

But in all seriousness, I'm starting to think that the uniqueness in Rihanna's music stems from her island accent...whenever she displays it. Her unforgivably lazy imitation of Sia's every vocal tick in Diamonds makes me question just how much thought she puts into her delivery.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The SONG is iconic.....its barely associated with Rihanna though imo. She brings so little to the music that people barely connect the two sometimes.

ibjKW8CzMgt1Wc.gif

Disagree. Rihanna definitely has a distinctive sound. Honestly I think it's because she's not a very powerful or accomplished singer, so she sings a lot of chant-like vocals in her songs. It really works for her though so no shade. It's the same thing Kylie has done incredibly successfully (fitting songs to her vocal ability) and it's one of the reasons why I think 'oh but this person is an amazing singer and that person isn't' isn't very good currency in pop music a lot of the time.

cory64

Disagree. Rihanna definitely has a distinctive sound. Honestly I think it's because she's not a very powerful or accomplished singer, so she sings a lot of chant-like vocals in her songs. It really works for her though so no shade. It's the same thing Kylie has done incredibly successfully (fitting songs to her vocal ability) and it's one of the reasons why I think 'oh but this person is an amazing singer and that person isn't' isn't very good currency in pop music a lot of the time.

Yeah, most of the time it's about a vocal brand, not vocal talent. Rihanna, Katy, Gaga all have that and it doesn't even matter.

I suppose I can give you that....she does have a distinctive voice....

Though I think a better artist could do way more with it.

Diamonds is number one again...thank god Psy never made it to number one on the Hot 100.

Eh with his sales he probably deserved at least one week. He never had enough airplay to pull it off though.... I am looking forward to the end of the craze.

Will be interesting to see if Diamonds can score another week at #1 after this one. Diamonds is sliding down itunes while her airplay is still rising.

But in all seriousness, I'm starting to think that the uniqueness in Rihanna's music stems from her island accent...whenever she displays it. Her unforgivably lazy imitation of Sia's every vocal tick in Diamonds makes me question just how much thought she puts into her delivery.

Agreed, her unique voice comes out best when she pushes out her island accent. That's usually why her R&B/Hip-hop stuff doesn't do it for me; the only reason I check for Rihanna as a legit musician is because she has a voice that can be used EXPERTLY well or be a deterrant.

Umbrella and We Found Love stand regardless as great songs whether Rihanna was singing them or not (in many case they could have been more timeless if someone else sang them, but that's splitting hairs), but most others like Man Down and No Love Allowed would only have that level of value coming from her.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Eh with his sales he probably deserved at least one week. He never had enough airplay to pull it off though.... I am looking forward to the end of the craze.

Will be interesting to see if Diamonds can score another week at #1 after this one. Diamonds is sliding down itunes while her airplay is still rising.

Locked Out Of Heaven is next to be #1

poor Ke$ha

also:
TAYLOR SWIFT - I Knew You Were Trouble: 15.313 (+ 2.140)
ONE DIRECTION - Little Things: 11.911 (+ 0.744)
MAROON 5 - Daylight: 8.831 (+ 1.027)
WILL.I.AM & BRITNEY SPEARS - Scream And Shout: 6.098 (+ 0.692)
idkiOFDn9DILt.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
omg, I'm so excited.

Hopefully it doesn't suck as much ass as it normally does on Windows.

Roy, use Apple Software Update. Search for it if you can't find it in your programs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom