• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 New DLC = Puzzel/Level editor/creator.

I'm sure many GAFfers have been playing them for a while, but I just downloaded a custom map campaign for Portal 2 and it was fantastic. It's really easy to set up, and the one I played called '12 Angry Tests' went for about 1-2 hours. I mean, the Steam workshop integration will make it even easier but if you want to get in on the action now check out the 'best of' page on Thinking with Portals.

I'm going to test another one now, if anyone has any standouts let me know.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if Valve will make the Levels work with the PS3 or 360 version, even if you can't edit them on those versions.

Saty

Looks lovely but some reactions are as if you couldn't play user made maps until now. Maybe there are people who will use this as they don't know to use Hammer but i don't think they are going to produce noteworthy maps.

I hope we are going to get Valve-made SP chambers. Portal lends itself perfectly for SP dlc but so far Valve didn't really do anything.

Saty

Dunno, just seems so. People who dabble with the editor to crate a chamber. I don't see them creating map packs as good or complex as what people make with Hammer. Wouldn't mind to be proven wrong, though.

Shame they couldnt get it working for PS3, but it looks really well done and user friendly. Hammer will still be used by more proficient level creators, but this opens it up for some LBP-like experiences and creation. Can't wait to get my hands on it, and Valve's own new content of course.

Randdalf

This! They should release this editor for TF2 / CS / L4D / Deathmatch also... it would be SO great...

Anywho, hyped as hell. If the editor is as easy as that trailer showed, my god...

No they really shouldn't. This editor is very much a gameplay editor not an art editor, and a large part of those maps is making them look good and thematically consistent. Not to mention that test chambers are essentially hollowed out right? It wouldn't work so well for outdoorsy stuff. It's also not massively fun playing new maps in games like TF2 - I've spent a lot of time playtesting new maps and whilst there are a few gems, a large portion play horribly or are simply broken - it's not the same as Portal 2 where you're making a puzzle, in TF2 or L4D or CS you have to do loads of balancing and playtesting to actually make sure the map is fun to play. Those sort of maps need a lot more work, and it's better to do it manually in Hammer where you have total control and can create maps of a much higher quality.

Yeef

Glad to see that you can manually edit the vmf file and that non-in-game-editor files can be uploaded to the workshop.

Sibylus

Banned
Glad to see that you can manually edit the vmf file and that non-in-game-editor files can be uploaded to the workshop.
Definitely. I use Hammer a lot, but this tool could be really great for quickly prototyping and iterating on test chambers, with refinements and more organic spaces coming later.

StuBurns

Banned
Hello gang, I just want to make sure, this is the last Portal 2 thing right? I remember them saying there would be two sets of DLC, I guess I imagined this second one would be new content not just this toolset. Is that the case then? Creator tools only?

hym

Banned
Hello gang, I just want to make sure, this is the last Portal 2 thing right? I remember them saying there would be two sets of DLC, I guess I imagined this second one would be new content not just this toolset. Is that the case then? Creator tools only?

Yes this DLC only includes the Steam Workshop integration and the in-game editor, unless they are hiding something.

I don't think they ever said they would only be doing 2 DLC releases so I doubt it's the last update, maybe they said something like at least 2, or 2 are planned for now. This update doesn't change much in essence but I hope that the Workshop integration will lead to a lot of extra exposure and feedback for great map makers, that should have even better user content as a result. I wouldn't mind if Valve did TF2 style endorsement of certain maps and offer people to buy donation stamps to support the creator, "12 Angry Tests" would make a good candidate.

I hope you can script music puzzles, they were my favourite parts of Portal 2. I wasn't excited at first but now I totally am. Everything in their level design philosophy makes this level editor possible. It does however set an awesome precedent. If this is popular they should do it for all future games.

Bear

The editor looks excellent, it has such a clean and simple interface. Can't wait to get my hands on this.

Any idea of what limits there will be on things like map size or complexity? Is it more or less the same as Hammer?

Yeef

The editor looks excellent, it has such a clean and simple interface. Can't wait to get my hands on this.

Any idea of what limits there will be on things like map size or complexity?
Likely the same limits that are native to hammer (considering it's just building a vmt using instances).

It may be different for Portal 2 since it's an updated enginer, but in TF2 I believe the limit is 32768 x 32768 x 32768 hammer units.

For reference, if the video is accurate, each tile in the simple editor is 64 x 64, so you're talking up to 512 tiles in each direction.

Xyber

Any idea when the patch is supposed to be released? I would've guessed it would start updating 20 minutes ago, but that didn't happen.

Yeef

Valve usually releases patches for their game in the late afternoon / early evening, East Coast time.

Shahadan

I tried to launch the game and it began downloading. try it if nothing is happening.

SO HYPED

tumblr_m3oa40c2p11qz5n67o1_r1_400.gif

Christopotamus

Neo Member
Might have been answered already, but will there be coop maps published through this?

From what I've read on other forums, you can't make coop maps with this DLC. I have read that you can take the maps from the DLC into Hammer, and I assume you can turn them into COOP from there.

Top Bottom