• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 New DLC = Puzzel/Level editor/creator.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Hey you mind trying out all the changes in my map, I added some puzzle elements and made big changes since last time you played it, appreciate it:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68488777

Gave it a quick go before I head to bed. You blew me away with the changes you made, I was genuinely impressed, really well done.

To avoid slight frustration maybe make the final momentum puzzle, the big jump to the end, a little less difficult as although it's gettable I feel the puzzle to get there is enough of a challenge and it may confuse some people as to if they're actually doing it correctly. Ultimately that decision is up to you.
Also the first pillar I find it difficult to place the first portal due to the window being so small, maybe change it so you jump a little higher. I don't know if it's possible with just lowering the first portable area, before the 3 pillars, down 1 grid space so it launches you higher. Is that how that works?

Maybe get someone else's feedback as well.

I really liked the pedestal button puzzle, I thought that was really well done. :)

Gave it a quick go before I head to bed. You blew me away with the changes you made, I was genuinely impressed, really well done.

To avoid slight frustration maybe make the final momentum puzzle, the big jump to the end, a little less difficult as although it's gettable I feel the puzzle to get there is enough of a challenge and it may confuse some people as to if they're actually doing it correctly. Ultimately that decision is up to you.
Also the first pillar I find it difficult to place the first portal due to the window being so small, maybe change it so you jump a little higher. I don't know if it's possible with just lowering the first portable area, before the 3 pillars, down 1 grid space so it launches you higher. Is that how that works?

Maybe get someone else's feedback as well.

I really liked the pedestal button puzzle, I thought that was really well done. :)

Thanks for the feedback, some of your suggestions make a lot of sense now that I think about them, I think I will implement them later today when I get home, Thanks for the nice words!!!

I just finished yours just then, I enjoyed it but there's a way to easily skip the second puzzle room.

If you head to the faith plates and look over the fizzler (the ball wall) into the 3rd room with the two gel dispensers, you can portal into that room using the angled panel essentially skipping the turret room and making those puzzles useless.
Also even if you fix the visability of that one you can also portal to under the blue gel dispenser while you're bouncing around the faith plates. Give it a look, you'll see.
Despite those and the sparsity of the last 3 rooms I thought the map was well made.

Edit: Oh, and as a side note I thought it was amusing when you dispatch the 3rd turret with the blue gel and he spends the rest of the map bouncing around everywhere. ;)

Thanks for the feed back.

I will look into the issues once I go back to the editor.

Yea I guess this thread has a little more exposure so I'm reposting from the community thread...

My first attempt at using the map editor. I'd appreciate it if anyone could give it a shot and tell me how good or bad it is, and especially if you managed to break it somehow. The puzzle should only take 5 minutes or so.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68550996

7BC1ABBA32CB76BE27E7D480E834C444990A534B

vid

So, I'm sitting at work listening to the new collection of Cave Johnson voice overs, and I'm absolutely floored by how much plot they've managed to add to a level editor.

As soon as I realized that these speeches were actually sort of amounting to something, I decided to stop listening and plan to spend my weekend doing lots of designing and... testing.

Grinchy

Banned
Just completed the "12 angry tests" compilation, definitely recommend it.

Yeah I just started it (on the 5th one, I think) and they are great so far. If this is the level of quality I can expect, then this game is just going to keep delivering.

KScorp

Sorry that I keep reposting my puzzle, but I do want some comments on the style of the solution I use.

The Intern

The puzzle takes less than 60 seconds to solve if you know the optimal solution. However, the intended solution uses some mechanics that are completely avoided by good puzzles. I want to see if people enjoyed coming up with the solution, and just their general thoughts on coming up with the solution. So quite literally, my test is a test on creating good tests.

I would appreciate if you spent a few minutes trying it out and posting about it, even if you couldn't solve it. If you couldn't solve it, explain where you got stuck. If you could solve it, explain how you felt coming up with and using the solution, including if you came up with the solution on purpose or not (ie, if you know how to reproduce it afterwards). And in either case, just share your general feelings about the puzzle, its looks and layout, etc.

As a very small hint: The optimal solution is very reliable and safe. You should be able to reproduce it 99% of the time without dying once you know it.

And again, sorry for the continuous reposting. This is probably the fourth time I've posted it, third time in this thread. But this time I need comments for a greater purpose. :p

And again, sorry for the continuous reposting. This is probably the fourth time I've posted it, third time in this thread. But this time I need comments for a greater purpose. :p

You comment on mine ill comment on yours, how about that? :p

I am in the same boat as you, looking for people to try my chambers, and leave feedback just so I can make the next one even better. sadly, they all seem to get lost in the overflow of others

KScorp

You comment on mine ill comment on yours, how about that? :p

I am in the same boat as you, looking for people to try my chambers, and leave feedback just so I can make the next one even better. sadly, they all seem to get lost in the overflow of others

Yes, there are just too many puzzles. However, summer break has officialy started for me as of 5 hours ago, so I will get to commenting on as many puzzles as possible. (It's fun as hell for me, not sure why.) Only thing is I'm not sure who wants comments for improvement and who just wants to post puzzles for the hell of it. I'll probably just focus on those just asking for comments.

Edit: And here's my comments on your puzzle. :p

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68680409

Had fun creating this map and thanks to a happy mistake, there are at least 2 solutions to reaching the exit door (would love to know about more if you find them). Shouldn't take more than 1 - 2 minutes to complete. I tried to focus on a mix of Logic and reflex. Really looking for feedback on this one.

Pretty fun, the puzzle part is pretty easy though. For the puzzle part, it is possible to take the first cube (the one not on the high ground) out of the room, meaning there's no need to use the orange gel to jump up to the high ground for cube 2. At the very end, it's also easy to just place the cube on the button, warp to the side with the blue gel, and hop over to the staircase. No need to manipulate the gel at all.

So my only complaint is that it's too easy, really. The cube retrieval could be made harder and reaching the stairs at the end could be made harder too.

Yes, there are just too many puzzles. However, summer break has officialy started for me as of 5 hours ago, so I will get to commenting on as many puzzles as possible. (It's fun as hell for me, not sure why.) Only thing is I'm not sure who wants comments for improvement and who just wants to post puzzles for the hell of it. I'll probably just focus on those just asking for comments.

Edit: And here's my comments on your puzzle. :p

Pretty fun, the puzzle part is pretty easy though. For the puzzle part, it is possible to take the first cube (the one not on the high ground) out of the room, meaning there's no need to use the orange gel to jump up to the high ground for cube 2. At the very end, it's also easy to just place the cube on the button, warp to the side with the blue gel, and hop over to the staircase. No need to manipulate the gel at all.

So my only complaint is that it's too easy, really. The cube retrieval could be made harder and reaching the stairs at the end could be made harder too.

Gah... really? gonna have to look into that, definitely not by design, as for the ending, that is supposed to be just that easy.
button, gel, done
there is a less obvious way to do it though as well. Thx though!

Currently redoing that level based on your feedback. Much appreciated. The end simplicity is being removed and I am reworking how the first first room works. This is why i need comments people!

although i am kicking myself for that huge oversight. I never even thought about just hiding the box at the fizzler and just running out with the timer going.

I left comments in your level page by the way. Really good map had me stumped for a good while.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Posted this in the other thread, but I want some more exposure. :p

The Intern

First map I made. More details at the post in the appropriate thread. I want to make difficult puzzles so tell me if I succeeded, but I want to avoid as much as possible the solutions that are difficult to execute even if you know how to do them.

Your one has me stumped, I can't seem to think of a possible trick to it. I'm sure the longer I try the solution will come to me.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Here is one of my maps. Would love for you guys to give it a spin if you have 5 minutes to kill

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68535105
64859754EEC344C118AC916FC1FF4425801467E8

I am starting simple, eventually i plan on focusing more on momentum and timing puzzles. But right now im just playing around with switches and shit.

This wasn't too bad. My only complaints albeit minor ones is that second room feels very cramped and maybe the moving platform moves a little fast.
Also there was maybe a small bug with the second room.
When I used the faith plate to leap into that tiny room and clicked the pedestal button, in the other room, the wall was exposed showing a portable area. The icons on the left of it only showed one of them activated. I used that wall and the one in the tiny room to transport the ball over but I screwed up the drop and it bounced into the water. So I launched myself back over and clicked the button and I noticed the wall had now sealed over again. I wasn't sure if it was intended for the wall to be exposed as early as it was.

KScorp

I left comments in your level page by the way. Really good map had me stumped for a good while.
Your one has me stumped, I can't seem to think of a possible trick to it. I'm sure the longer I try the solution will come to me.

Glad to hear that, I was hoping it would be a difficult puzzle.

Currently trying to make a puzzle that uses Conversion (white) gel, it's pretty hard to make it so that you can't just go and paint the entire chamber white, but I might have found a way.

syllogism

Sorry that I keep reposting my puzzle, but I do want some comments on the style of the solution I use.

The Intern

The puzzle takes less than 60 seconds to solve if you know the optimal solution. However, the intended solution uses some mechanics that are completely avoided by good puzzles. I want to see if people enjoyed coming up with the solution, and just their general thoughts on coming up with the solution. So quite literally, my test is a test on creating good tests.

I would appreciate if you spent a few minutes trying it out and posting about it, even if you couldn't solve it. If you couldn't solve it, explain where you got stuck. If you could solve it, explain how you felt coming up with and using the solution, including if you came up with the solution on purpose or not (ie, if you know how to reproduce it afterwards). And in either case, just share your general feelings about the puzzle, its looks and layout, etc.

As a very small hint: The optimal solution is very reliable and safe. You should be able to reproduce it 99% of the time without dying once you know it.

Is this the intended solution? Doesn't feel like it
I didn't even use the second funnel, but placed the first cube on the button and then used the first funnel so briefly trigger the wall button that is connected to the fizzler so I could shoot a portal through it. Then it was just a matter of going through that portal and using the funnel to get to the exit.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to hear that, I was hoping it would be a difficult puzzle.

Currently trying to make a puzzle that uses Conversion (white) gel, it's pretty hard to make it so that you can't just go and paint the entire chamber white, but I might have found a way.

I got it just now, definitely felt like I did it in an unintended way.

Looking forward to your next one.

Haunted

As far as level editors go, this is pretty damn good. Great balance between immediate usability and function. I love the faux in-universe UI.

Brilliant stuff.

KScorp

I didn't even use the second funnel, but placed the first cube on the button and then used the first funnel so briefly trigger the wall button that is connected to the fizzler so I could shoot a portal through it. Then it was just a matter of going through that portal and using the funnel to get to the exit.

Did you use the second cube to deactivate the fizzler? Because if so, that isn't the solution I intended, but it sounds like it uses all the same mechanics of the "intended" solution. Which basically means it's OK in my book.

Ah, I just reproduced your solution. Seems fine to me.

I got it just now, definitely felt like I did it in an unintended way.

Looking forward to your next one.

Yep, a lot of people feel that way. I'm just trying to figure out if people like or dislike that feeling.

Thats how I did it as well... figured he designed it with the intent to fool you, at least that was How I justified my 20 minutes with it :p

Love this editor! Works brilliantly. Have been studying so have not had time to get round peoples maps - this will change over the weekend.

My very simplistic map:
Turettes

As it says in the description am planning quite a few changes and this is a very basic idea.
Likely the 'tunnel' will become an 'end stage'. Very simplistic as it stands, but theres some difficulty/annoyingness there I hope :p

KScorp

Cross post from GAF Testing Archives.

Painters' Pit: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=71438353

8CB32D6CC0071FFCBBDD3C1618C7E34136024F50

Featuring no portalable surfaces!

If you manage to paint tiles white higher than 3 tiles above the ground, or a ceiling tile, that's unintended. Please tell me if you're able to do so. (From all my testing, I was only able to paint up to 1 tile above the ground with white paint.)

As for difficulty, I'm not sure. I don't expect it to be too difficult. Feedback always appreciated.

Edit: And for those wondering, here's the solution I came up with to solve my previous puzzle. So don't click it if you want to figure it out for yourself.
The Intern Solution: http://youtu.be/gto-5Nyfu74

Edit: And for those wondering, here's the solution I came up with to solve my previous puzzle. So don't click it if you want to figure it out for yourself.

If thats your intended solution, it can be completed without the use of the final funnel and just one cube.
You can stand on first button, set a a cube to funnel at the far back of the room, itll briefly pass the back button opening the fizzler, you can then portal through the fizzler, and then just continue on as you do for the final part in your video with the cube on the button
it still took a while none the less to figure that out :p I never figured out your intended method though. Clearly my timing was off :p

Has anyone encountered levels not using proper lighting? I don't mean no lighting at all, but rather the editor publishes with default lights in place so the stage is oversaturated.

Medalion

Banned
Ah I love the 12 Angry Tests, they feel to me they could've been unreleased levels for Portal 2... it has the atmosphere, the difficulty that is not too hard but not easy

Just the way I likes it

NBtoaster

Nice small puzzle that got me experimenting. I like the puzzles that are challenging in a small area and not spread across many rooms.

any recommendations on co-op maps?

Can't make co op maps with the editor.

Cross post with the community thread:

"All gelled up", uses conversion gel and momentum.

mKW7y.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=71253519

What do people think about using angled glass as decoration? It isn't distracting or anything?

The workshop interface is really slick too, you just add a bunch of maps to your queue and play. The map downloads are basically instant.

Actually I still can't figure out how to download maps. The UI is the worst part of the workshop for me. It's not really clear how to do most things.

Cross post from GAF Testing Archives.

Painters' Pit: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=71438353

8CB32D6CC0071FFCBBDD3C1618C7E34136024F50

Featuring no portalable surfaces!

If you manage to paint tiles white higher than 3 tiles above the ground, or a ceiling tile, that's unintended. Please tell me if you're able to do so. (From all my testing, I was only able to paint up to 1 tile above the ground with white paint.)

As for difficulty, I'm not sure. I don't expect it to be too difficult. Feedback always appreciated.

I'm pretty stumped on the Painters' Pit. I can only seem to get the paint to go about two tiles high. Any clues?

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'm pretty stumped on the Painters' Pit. I can only seem to get the paint to go about two tiles high. Any clues?
Don't bother trying to get the white paint higher, you can't. Look to see if there's any white paint already up on the higher tiles.

KScorp

Yeah, that's the point with the white paint. I only said "3 tiles high" because I know that you can fling paint twice, which could, in theory, get paint higher than three tiles if done right. I'm not sure if it's possible in my chamber, but if it is, that would break it. You'd be able to reach the blue paint button easily if you could.

ceski

Neo Member
People apparently really like this level I made even though I haven't done any promotion for it, so I thought I'd share it here. My favorite comment about it so far:

"This is the longest and largest custom map I've played. None of the challenges were too taxing but they were all logical and interesting. What impressed me most is how the player's path twists through the space so you keep getting close to the exit (or entrance) and then moving away again."

Expendable Human Launch Vehicle

xmW8c.jpg
klxer.jpg

CkRJw.jpg
lehVp.jpg

Enjoy.

1-D_FTW

People apparently really like this level I made even though I haven't done any promotion for it, so I thought I'd share it here. My favorite comment about it so far:

"This is the longest and largest custom map I've played. None of the challenges were too taxing but they were all logical and interesting. What impressed me most is how the player's path twists through the space so you keep getting close to the exit (or entrance) and then moving away again."

Expendable Human Launch Vehicle

xmW8c.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/klxer.jpg[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/CkRJw.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/lehVp.jpg[img]

Enjoy.[/QUOTE]

That's a real good level, man. It made not be "hardcore" enough for some, but I like me some puzzles that are intelligently designed and aren't trying to use gimmicks to stump you.

ceski

Neo Member
That's a real good level, man. It made not be "hardcore" enough for some, but I like me some puzzles that are intelligently designed and aren't trying to use gimmicks to stump you.

Thanks for the feedback. A smooth flowing level with moderate puzzles was pretty much what I was going for.

Trouble

Banned
This is weird. I don't get dialog from Cave at the beginning of maps any more. Any had this happen? I did a file verification and it didn't help.

Robot Pants

This is weird. I don't get dialog from Cave at the beginning of maps any more. Any had this happen? I did a file verification and it didn't help.
There was a thread on this on the steam forums. You have a virus. Reformat immediately.
But seriously it happens to me sometimes too. Certain maps just don't have Johnson as voice over.

Top Bottom