• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 New DLC = Puzzel/Level editor/creator.

You actually don't always want to press forward in the air, as it can mess with some puzzles. I mean, a good puzzle will work regardless (or have you killed or whatever) but the faithplates were designed for not doing anything.

Ohh the map i made doesnt use the plates, is all flinging, which unless its some sort of placebo, seems to help by pressing forward, i might be going crazy though :p

Burekma

Okay, that's a total of three exploits fixed! Also added a water cleanser in the main room, in case the prism got bouncy-gelled.

Here it is! Tunnels To and Fro!

44093D9CA68CA10E33872E7B6F6E675690CF5506

Super special thanks to my beta-tester, syllogism!

Edit: Improved an element near the end of the puzzle to permanently disengage the doorway fizzler, preventing having to redo most of the level if a mistake is made. Hooray!

Now I'm exhausted and going to bed. Nearly ten hours on this thing. Whew.
NOT SO FAST! :p

Found another exploit. If you use the blue gel from the next room to cover the first one like this, you can then jump from the force field platform thingie I'm standing on onto the blue gel, and bounce around the laser barrier and onto the exit ramp.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68597832

I'm not a fan of these giant clusterfucks of levels that people are making in order to bypass the lack of doors, so here's a fairly linear but challenging map I made. I think it's pretty much bulletproof as far as exploits go, so if you find pleasure in attempting to break maps, feel free to try.
D79AA2E55C9A4E0BC753EF4F7C570456492D099B

That was good, but I broke it, did you intended people to:

in the last room, the big portable wall opposite of the exit, i open a portal at the bottom and another at the top, then as I exited from the the top, shoot a portal to the floor in front of the exit, from there it was super easy to take the 3 cubes and stack them, didnt use the light bridge or the lasers, well just the very last one to open the exit...

also:

what is the orange gel for? I didnt use it for anything

Really enjoyed it though, BTW, without doing my trick I couldnt figure out how to beat it.

also please check mine, tell me if you find any loopholes, i completely changed it in the last hour: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68488777

John

Here it is! I spent over eight hours making this baby. It's exceptionally difficult, and uses pretty much all puzzle elements except for laser relays and conversion gel, because those suck.

B2723C2B7380F476ADBF362753A36FAC2459E0CF

Tunnels To and Fro

Enjoy, everyone. Tell me what you think! I'll be impressed if any of you can make it to the end. ; )

Just beat this one, took about twenty minutes, I loved the room where you needed to
drop yourself and the box onto the pad from the lightbridge at the same time
. But either I didn't do it as you imagined, or there were a LOT of red herrings in this one

Why is it that I'm good at solving everyone else puzzles but I can't for the life of me make one that's even remotely fun/challenging?

-.-

Why is it that I'm good at solving everyone else puzzles but I can't for the life of me make one that's even remotely fun/challenging?

-.-

How often do you iterate the maps you are working on? If you have an idea for a chamber in your head, I would say use that as your base and then keep iterating on it till you get it to where you personally enjoy it. Thats what I did with my 2nd map. It went through about 30 iterations in about an hours time to get it to a point where I found it fun to solve. Same overall concept, but certain changes made it feel better.

Exuro

12 Angry Tests is amazing. Are there any other large collections like this and the Employee(Mevious?) ones?

Also wondering if they plan on expanding the tools to include more surfaces, assets, and the 50's era stuff like in 12 Angry Tests.

12 Angry Tests is amazing. Are there any other Large Collections like this and the Employee(Mevious?) ones?

Also wondering if they plan on expanding the tools to include more surfaces, assets, and the 50's era stuff like in 12 Angry Tests.

12 angry tests i think was made in Hammer, which is why it uses all the assets from Portal 2.

The puzzles being made by Mevious are good and almost all of them are highly rated, but far too many of them involve you moving directly in the same area as a laser beam. And that doesn't feel well designed. It's not something I will look at and think that I should be in that area. This includes a puzzle where you are meant to jump through a portal that has a laser beam already going through it and another where you are supposed to put blue paint on the floor to jump in a spot that has a beam going directly across it. For the latter there is a button at a height you can bounce to, but the laser and button are in perfect alignment, so you have to stand a little to the side of the laser and bounce jump up to the button.

That was good, but I broke it, did you intended people to:

in the last room, the big portable wall opposite of the exit, i open a portal at the bottom and another at the top, then as I exited from the the top, shoot a portal to the floor in front of the exit, from there it was super easy to take the 3 cubes and stack them, didnt use the light bridge or the lasers, well just the very last one to open the exit...

also:

what is the orange gel for? I didnt use it for anything

Really enjoyed it though, BTW, without doing my trick I couldnt figure out how to beat it.

also please check mine, tell me if you find any loopholes, i completely changed it in the last hour: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68488777

You're supposed to use the light bridge to
make your way up to the top floor of the last room. I might have to decrease the height of the big portalable wall by one unit to prevent your tactic. Well done. Other than that, you solved it as intended. Originally my title was going to be "Totem," but I thought that may have given the stacking tactic away too easily. I figured the aspect of Recycling the three cubes at the end was good enough.

The orange gel was to
make it easier to slide the first cube into the first receptacle. I'm surprised you were able to make it without the gel, it landed without the gel so infrequently I figured it was nigh impossible.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check your map out when I get home later tonight.

You're supposed to use the light bridge to
make your way up to the top floor of the last room. I might have to decrease the height of the big portalable wall by one unit to prevent your tactic. Well done. Other than that, you solved it as intended. Originally my title was going to be "Totem," but I thought that may have given the stacking tactic away too easily. I figured the aspect of Recycling the three cubes at the end was good enough.

The orange gel was to
make it easier to slide the first cube into the first receptacle. I'm surprised you were able to make it without the gel, it landed without the gel so infrequently I figured it was nigh impossible.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check your map out when I get home later tonight.

It took me like
2 tries to get the cube to land on the button by throwing in the air, just place a portal on the slanted wall and another right behind the red lasers and dropping the cube.

1-D_FTW

The puzzles being made by Mevious are good and almost all of them are highly rated, but far too many of them involve you moving directly in the same area as a laser beam. And that doesn't feel well designed. It's not something I will look at and think that I should be in that area. This includes a puzzle where you are meant to jump through a portal that has a laser beam already going through it and another where you are supposed to put blue paint on the floor to jump in a spot that has a beam going directly across it. For the latter there is a button at a height you can bounce to, but the laser and button are in perfect alignment, so you have to stand a little to the side of the laser and bounce jump up to the button.

Sounds like really poor design IMO. Sounds like he's trying to stump people by using logic against them. And by logic, I mean people expect sound game design, so they're going to automatically rule out stupid things such as that.

KScorp

Okay, that's a total of three exploits fixed! Also added a water cleanser in the main room, in case the prism got bouncy-gelled.

Here it is! Tunnels To and Fro!

44093D9CA68CA10E33872E7B6F6E675690CF5506

Super special thanks to my beta-tester, syllogism!

Edit: Improved an element near the end of the puzzle to permanently disengage the doorway fizzler, preventing having to redo most of the level if a mistake is made. Hooray!

Now I'm exhausted and going to bed. Nearly ten hours on this thing. Whew.

Definitely still broken. Got it in the first room, takes like 20-30 seconds to beat with only three portals used. Video: http://youtu.be/2RJrtDytOUU

-.-

Did you try my puzzle yet? No one has given me any feedback on it yet, other than someone asking for hints.

Don't forget we have a thread dedicated to posting your designs! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=37700760

I suspect Portal 2 will be played A LOT now. It's been in the top 10 since yesterday. I hope coop community maps will happen...will be even more awesome.

Feep

Banned
Guys STOP BREAKING MY MAP

Gonna fix those two now. BRBRBRBR

finished your map, great map, I hope i didn't use any exploits this time

was it normal to
do bowling with the cube into the laser at the end?
was pretty hard and fun
Yup! = D Thanks!

My god I have seriously never seen such an amazing level editor. Something as intuitive as this is a real treat for someone like me who isn't technically familiar with other programs, and lets me avoid worrying about it and concentrate on just creating something interesting. Not to mention, it looks beautiful. Clean, minimal, post-modern!

Answer: Yeah.

Have you played through the co-op campaign?

Not really, but I still have the option of playing it free on a friend's account. I think I decided against it cause I'm tight on money. I'd rather get something lesser known.

Feep

Banned
KS_corp, I got you as soon as I fix my map in a few minutes. People playing your testchamber is just like Wheatley describes: like crack. = D

KScorp

People playing your testchamber is just like Wheatley describes: like crack. = D

Yes, I think I have gained a much greater understanding of Wheatley's tragic demise. It's fun to have people suffer through solve your test chambers.

Trying to play some of these levels but it takes a bit after you subscribe for the level to show up in your queue.

Feep

Banned
Tunnels To and Fro v1.3 released!

E92930777212C42B4C019F532B60126CA28BCD95

Changelog:
- You cheating jerks can't bypass the rest of the test anymore. = D

There are likely still some exploits...pretty much everything in the entire chamber (except the odd portalable surface here and there) is used, so if you finish the testchamber without utilizing some elements, please let me know!

And thanks to Burekma and Kscorp for finding exploits!

Blizzard

Banned
There are likely still some exploits...pretty much everything in the entire chamber (except the odd portalable surface here and there) is used, so if you finish the testchamber without utilizing some elements, please let me know!

And thanks to Burekma and Kscorp for finding exploits!
Design philosophy comment/question: Is it truly best for all puzzles to only have one way to solve them? Or, is it interesting to have some non-obvious shortcuts to solve the puzzles more quickly (even intentional shortcuts)? If I recall correctly, even Portal 1 and 2 may have had some ways to solve levels more quickly than the "normal" solutions.

Shahadan

Hey Feep, consider yourself lucky.

I think you can't break my test but I can't know that because no one played it :( (well, one nice gaffer)

1-D_FTW

Not really, but I still have the option of playing it free on a friend's account. I think I decided against it cause I'm tight on money. I'd rather get something lesser known.

Has your friend played through co-op? If not buy it and play it together with him. Co-op is one of the funnest gaming experiences you can have.

Jesus Christ.

Clearly you have no future as a game designer;)

Feep

Banned
Has your friend played through co-op? If not buy it and play it together with him. Co-op is one of the funnest gaming experiences you can have.

Clearly you have no future as a game designer;)
I know, right? Sequence fans better not ever catch wind of these downfalls.

KScorp

Can someone try my map and tell me if there is a graphical pink bug? I don't get it, it is only on my map and appeared after I made some changes :s

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68542826

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/5...F11DE089EB82D00720CDE8C6/600x337.resizedimage

Hey Feep, consider yourself lucky.

I think you can't break my test but I can't know that because no one played it :( (well, one nice gaffer)

Just tested it, didn't see anything completely broken as far as I'm aware. The turrets didn't play any role at all, neither did the light bridge. It seems you had a lot of extraneous lasers, so I have no clue if they do anything other than start up the gel dispensers.

Other than all the extra stuff that was put into your map, it seemed fine. I didn't find any breaking bugs as far as I'm aware, but I can post a video of the solution if you want to see it.

I know, right? Sequence fans better not ever catch wind of these downfalls.

Look at it this way, you are inspiration to the rest of us who were smart enough not to jump head first into more complicated Gel involved chambers! :p If Feep can't do it than no one can!

i plan on working gels into my next one... maybe rething that :p

Shahadan

Just tested it, didn't see anything completely broken as far as I'm aware. The turrets didn't play any role at all, neither did the light bridge. It seems you had a lot of extraneous lasers, so I have no clue if they do anything other than start up the gel dispensers.

Other than all the extra stuff that was put into your map, it seemed fine. I didn't find any breaking bugs as far as I'm aware, but I can post a video of the solution if you want to see it.

Thanks for your time ! The lasers were just a leftover of the original puzzle, basically a cage. I left them because my roomate who tested it had trouble understanding he had to stay on the button at first. Turrets are basically there to tell that there is somehting to find, but I agree that was not necessary, but I like turrets D:
Light bridge can be replaced by something else and that is a problem I'll have to check,

In the end it was my first map and I wanted to put everything and see how I could arrange things around without being too complex.

I really think this is a great tool that really helps to understand how a map is created and the worries of level design. So fun.

Edit : just did some corrections anyway. Should be less cheat-friendly

KScorp

Thanks for your time ! The lasers were just a leftover of the original puzzle, basically a cage. I left them because my roomate who tested it had trouble understanding he had to stay on the button at first. Turrets are basically there to tell that there is somehting to find, but I agree that was not necessary, but I like turrets D:
Light bridge can be replaced by something else and that is a problem I'll have to check

Whatever was behind those turrets, I didn't need it, heh. I only needed two weighted cubes (one to keep the lasers on, another to raise the platform at the very end) and the sphere (so I can use the excursion tunnel). After that it's all gel manipulation.

Tunnels To and Fro v1.4 released!

The more complex a chamber is, the more ways there are to break it. Yeesh.

It's broken again, in the same place. No gel required again! :D

Video: http://youtu.be/UATSPegTj3o

Making puzzles is a puzzle itself, huh.

Top Bottom