• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 New DLC = Puzzel/Level editor/creator.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I actually worked on this for 4 hours, though a good hour of that was waiting for the map to rebuild. During the last build, I started getting errors on the total number of items. I'll likely get rid of some of the unneeded walking later.

004CA7FCC0E9F667EC139A9CA057FA2D88D3D9F1

Have a block, need a ball...:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68567045

Firebrand

I wish there was a checkpoint system, for now I'm avoiding using water--, ahem, deadly goo, late in a level because it sucks having to start over when you die.

Also target markers for launch pads seem to disappear when you die?

Only done map so far ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68487812 ), it's not very well designed or challenging but I couldn't stop adding stuff to it, heh. I'm looking forward to playing around with the editor some more, going to add a bunch of maps from here and the map thread now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I thought my work was lost forever because I closed the game accidentally...but Valve made an autosave feature. :D

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68557453

Here's mine. Very simple, but there are a couple of different ways to solve it.

I actually worked on this for 4 hours, though a good hour of that was waiting for the map to rebuild. During the last build, I started getting errors on the total number of items. I'll likely get rid of some of the unneeded walking later.

Have a brick, need a ball...:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68567045

I wish there was a checkpoint system, for now I'm avoiding using water--, ahem, deadly goo, late in a level because it sucks having to start over when you die.

Only done map so far ( http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68487812 ), it's not very well designed or challenging but I couldn't stop adding stuff to it, heh. I'm looking forward to playing around with the editor some more, going to add a bunch of maps from here and the map thread now.

Hey, you should share your work in here instead: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=37700760

Feep

Banned
Here it is! I spent over eight hours making this baby. It's exceptionally difficult, and uses pretty much all puzzle elements except for laser relays and conversion gel, because those suck.

B2723C2B7380F476ADBF362753A36FAC2459E0CF

Tunnels To and Fro

Enjoy, everyone. Tell me what you think! I'll be impressed if any of you can make it to the end. ; )

Just played one of the "12 angry test chambers" it was the most popular one in the workshop...wow really cool stuff. Just needs glados and cave johnson :)

There is a checkpoint system? Well at least in one of the chambers I downloaded.

NBtoaster

Here it is! I spent over eight hours making this baby. It's exceptionally difficult, and uses pretty much all puzzle elements except for laser relays and conversion gel, because those suck.

Tunnels To and Fro

Enjoy, everyone. Tell me what you think! I'll be impressed if any of you can make it to the end. ; )

May have broken it..

http://i.imgur.com/ZNiQ0.png
I can get up here immediately and press the button, then use the light beams to run across, without going into the other rooms:
http://i.imgur.com/W6lEB.png

The real way does look very hard though, had no idea what to do in the room with the gel..

Holden

Tunnels To and Fro

tryed it, and found a way to bypass the whole thing

you just jump at the end of the reversed tractor beam and you can press the button and remove the red thing and it will bring you back to the beggining and you can just end it

http://i.imgur.com/e2y5L.jpg

I will try to do it the legit way though!

edit: well somebody found out before me!

Feep

Banned
Fuuuu

The worst part is that I don't think I can publish right now? I keep getting "Error 16".

Aghh.

Edit: Okay, fixed the exploit. Just...gotta...upload...damn you, Steam Workshop

More Edit: Even though I keep getting Error 16, the official page for the map seems to have the updated fix. Everyone, try again! Sorry for the mistake...there'll probably be a few others, I reckon. = D

syllogism

I activated red goo, got the prism and managed to bring it back to the goo room (not sure if I used the intended method for that, probably).

syllogism

Feep do I need the sphere that rests on the button that is surrounded by forcefields? I destroyed that early on and I can't get it back?

Feep

Banned
Feep do I need the sphere that rests on the button that is surrounded by forcefields? I destroyed that early on and I can't get it back?
You actually need it destroyed. Follow the light (it's tough) and you'll see it did something.

You are supposed to activate red goo and bring the prism cube back, though it's supposed to involve some tough puzzle-work (including the thing-that-is-required-by-destroying-the-sphere). How did you do it, if I might ask?

syllogism

You actually need it destroyed. Follow the light (it's tough) and you'll see it did something.

You are supposed to activate red goo and bring the prism cube back, though it's supposed to involve some tough puzzle-work (including the thing-that-is-required-by-destroying-the-sphere). How did you do it, if I might ask?
I brought the cube from the goo room, then used light bridges to get up, placed the cube on top of the light bridge so that when light bridge deactivates, it falls down and presses the button. Simultaneously I use the height to catapult myself up and when the cube falls, it activates the platform and I end up on top of it. I then go press the buttons, bring the prism, climb back up to where I had light bridges previously and throw the prism into the pathway leading back to the goo room. Then I return to the goo room and grab the prism from corridor where I left it. I managed to use the prism to bring red/blue goo into the first room but not sure what to do with that. The gray goo isn't currently activated for some reason and not sure what to do with it anyway.

e:
I can also bring the prism to the first room to reverse the flow, I suppose supposed to use the red goo to be fast enough to get through the laser in time

e2:
and maybe some grey goo so I can redirect the flow, but I'm not sure how. Now that the prism is in the first room, I would have to do things all over again if I want to use it in the goo room

Feep

Banned
I brought the cube from the goo room, then used light bridges to get up, placed the cube on top of the light bridge so that when light bridge deactivates, it falls down and presses the button. Simultaneously I use the height to catapult myself up and when the cube falls, it activates the platform and I end up on top of it. I then go press the buttons, bring the prism, climb back up to where I had light bridges previously and throw the prism into the pathway leading back to the goo room. Then I return to the goo room and grab the prism from corridor where I left it. I managed to use the prism to bring red/blue goo into the first room but not sure what to do with that. The gray goo isn't currently activated for some reason and not sure what to do with it anyway.
That's the correct way to get into the glass over-room, though I have absolutely no idea how you managed to get the prism cube through the tunnel into the gel room. There's supposed to be a fizzler there that can only be deactivated by the button down the long glass tube at the back of the room...

If you can get the red, blue, and prism cube into the first room, that's everything you need to finish it off.

Don't worry about the "gray gel" (water). It needs to be off to solve the "glass tube" puzzle, which you circumvented somehow...hmm.

syllogism

That's the correct way to get into the glass over-room, though I have absolutely no idea how you managed to get the prism cube through the tunnel into the gel room. There's supposed to be a fizzler there that can only be deactivated by the button down the long glass tube at the back of the room...

If you can get the red, blue, and prism cube into the first room, that's everything you need to finish it off.

Don't worry about the "gray gel" (water). It needs to be off to solve the "glass tube" puzzle, which you circumvented somehow...hmm.
Now I used blue gel and ceiling tiles to catapult myself to the exit, didn't even need the prism

The pathway between gel and the other room is the high one, I didn't do anything with the one that is blocked by lasers. So I was standing on top of a high elevation light bridge and threw the prism into the pathway

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
You made a good point, so I fixed it. I added some puzzles instead of switches while jumping. And you murder the turrets in a slightly more humane way ;)
Pj3PG.jpg

Just finished this and I had a good time. It's fun trying to figure out how to kill the turrets and do it while you are being flung around.

Feep

Banned
Now I used blue gel and ceiling tiles to catapult myself to the exit, didn't even need the prism

The pathway between gel and the other room is the high one, I didn't do anything with the one that is blocked by lasers
Okay, that's two exploits found. I'll try to get rid of both...thanks.

I *did* look for a way to get to the top of the room earlier with gel, and failed. I'll just cover it off with glass to ensure there's no way. = D

syllogism

The level is fun and challenging, but it seems annoying that you need to do the level basically all over again if bring the prism to the first room, but haven't yet coated the correct tiles with goo. I assume that is the case anyway.

Feep

Banned
The level is fun and challenging, but it seems annoying that you need to do the level basically all over again if bring the prism to the first room, but haven't yet coated the correct tiles with goo. I assume that is the case anyway.
Fixed both of the exploits...trying to get Steam Workshop to play nice...

Bringing the prism in no way removes the ability to get gel. You do have to be careful with portals, though...maybe I should think of a way to just permanently disable the fizzler...

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member

Bringing the prism in no way removes the ability to get gel. You do have to be careful with portals, though...maybe I should think of a way to just permanently disable the fizzler...

Just tried your map and it scares me, I don't even know where to begin. Looks impressive to say the least.

syllogism

Yes I meant that if you mess up with portals, you need the prism again

Feep

Banned
Okay, that's a total of three exploits fixed! Also added a water cleanser in the main room, in case the prism got bouncy-gelled.

Here it is! Tunnels To and Fro!

44093D9CA68CA10E33872E7B6F6E675690CF5506

Super special thanks to my beta-tester, syllogism!

Edit: Improved an element near the end of the puzzle to permanently disengage the doorway fizzler, preventing having to redo most of the level if a mistake is made. Hooray!

Now I'm exhausted and going to bed. Nearly ten hours on this thing. Whew.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Can I get some people to play test my map, suggestions to make it more fun? I spent like 3 hours on it yesterday, most of it playtesting it and I think its a lot of fun but im sure there are a couple of tweaks that could make it better:

600x337.resizedimage

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68488777

How'd you intend that last room to play out, the puzzle to get into the end door? That large portable wall seemed pointless. I used the floor beneath the door to get up instead of the way I thought you wanted it done.

How'd you intend that last room to play out, the puzzle to get into the end door? That large portable wall seemed pointless. I used the floor beneath the door to get up instead of the way I thought you wanted it done.

hmm interesting, I should make the floor of the hole in front of the door less high then, you think that would fix the issue?

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
hmm interesting, I should make the floor of the hole in front of the door less high then, you think that would fix the issue?

Sure, give that a test or you could make the floor non-portable and make the bottom of the wall they can't see portable so they can still get out of the hole.
I actually couldn't figure the way out before I found that solution, the large wall didn't seem to propel me far enough but I wasn't sure if I was doing it the wrong way.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I think I found a bug with the editor, if I go file > open and keep clicking 'open' with no maps in the list the game crashes.

Sure, give that a test or you could make the floor non-portable and make the bottom of the wall they can't see portable so they can still get out of the hole.
I actually couldn't figure the way out before I found that solution, the large wall didn't seem to propel me far enough but I wasn't sure if I was doing it the wrong way.

Thanks for the suggestions, implemented the changes, let me know if its more enjoyable and less easy now:

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Any videos showing off some custom levels? Interesting in seeing some of them but don't have the game.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the suggestions, implemented the changes, let me know if its more enjoyable and less easy now:

Some minor changes if you care to change them.

With that hole you changed if you swap the newly placed portable area to the opposite side from where you have it now it'd probably confuse the player less. Not a big deal though, it works either way. From experience I find that players tend to portal anywhere they can so moving it to where they can't see it gives them one less thing to worry about. They'll only see it when they fall into the hole which is the intent.

Also the three pillars over the water you can stop on the second pillar and portal off into the distance, skipping the larger of the three.

I'm so terrible at this puzzle though, I think I get it but I just can't quite make the distance. It actually became more fun the more I tried just because I kept failing so much, haha.
It's been so long since I've last played Portal so it's taking me some time to get back into it again.

Holden

Okay, that's a total of three exploits fixed! Also added a water cleanser in the main room, in case the prism got bouncy-gelled.

Here it is! Tunnels To and Fro!

44093D9CA68CA10E33872E7B6F6E675690CF5506

Super special thanks to my beta-tester, syllogism!

Edit: Improved an element near the end of the puzzle to permanently disengage the doorway fizzler, preventing having to redo most of the level if a mistake is made. Hooray!

Now I'm exhausted and going to bed. Nearly ten hours on this thing. Whew.

finished your map, great map, I hope i didn't use any exploits this time

was it normal to
do bowling with the cube into the laser at the end?
was pretty hard and fun

Some minor changes if you care to change them.

With that hole you changed if you swap the newly placed portable area to the opposite side from where you have it now it'd probably confuse the player less. Not a big deal though, it works either way. From experience I find that players tend to portal anywhere they can so moving it to where they can't see it gives them one less thing to worry about. They'll only see it when they fall into the hole which is the intent.

Also the three pillars over the water you can stop on the second pillar and portal off into the distance, skipping the larger of the three.

I'm so terrible at this puzzle though, I think I get it but I just can't quite make the distance. It actually became more fun the more I tried just because I kept failing so much, haha.
It's been so long since I've last played Portal so it's taking me some time to get back into it again.

Making the changes, thanks man, one tip is to remember to press forward in your keyboard in the air , gives you a bit more of momentum to make it.

Thanks for the suggestions :).

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Making the changes, thanks man, one tip is to remember to press forward in your keyboard in the air , gives you a bit more of momentum to make it.

Ah, thanks. ;)
Glad to help.

Can someone try my map and tell me if there is a graphical pink bug? I don't get it, it is only on my map and appeared after I made some changes :s

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=68542826

600x337.resizedimage

I'm getting an error trying to download the map. At first the map didn't seem to want to download so I re-subscribed, the next time the error appeared.

Anyway, bed time!

MNC

You actually don't always want to press forward in the air, as it can mess with some puzzles. I mean, a good puzzle will work regardless (or have you killed or whatever) but the faithplates were designed for not doing anything.

Top Bottom