• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 release THIS FRIDAY? (no, but you can jump through hoops for Valve)

JoeBoy101

I don't want to believe this as it seems more than a bit questionable on its face. That said, this is Valve. It would totally be up their alley to use the ARG to announce Portal 2's release ahead of the announced date (it would also be really cool too). I'm pre-loaded either way, so we'll see.

DoctorWho said:
What if the game comes out before the OT?

Divide by 0?
I dunno, man, but I would hate to find out.

Edit: But seriously, I apologize for the delay everyone. We're just trying to make sure it looks good. Thanks for your patience.

thefil

This is actually a problem for me. I wanted to buy Portal 2 as part of my anniversary gift for my girlfriend this weekend, but if it comes out Friday there's a chance she'll get it before that for herself.

:(

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
thefil said:
This is actually a problem for me. I wanted to buy Portal 2 as part of my anniversary gift for my girlfriend this weekend, but if it comes out Friday there's a chance she'll get it before that for herself.

Solution: Buy it for her now and give it to her as an early gift.

thefil said:

Not that much of a problem, surely. Just buy a double pack (or whatever) now, and if it does get released early, you just say 'hey - you can have the first part of your anniversary gift RIGHT NOW,' and take her right there and then in a manly fashion. Then afterwards tell her about Portal 2.

:D

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The hell, are people just accepting and believing this? I'm preloading it as we speak, but I doubt that it's going to be here on friday.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Corky said:
The hell, are people just accepting and believing this? I'm preloading it as we speak, but I doubt that it's going to be here on friday.

D4mJ3.png

Corky said:

Clues in the ARG point to it, without requiring much of a stretch. I wouldn't bet real money on it of course, but it seems quite possible.

itxaka

Defeatist
A valve game releasing BEFORE the given date? What is this madness? Cats and dogs living together?

Next thing you are gonna tell me its that DNF is gonna be releas...oh wait.

itxaka said:
A valve game releasing BEFORE the given date? What is this madness? Cats and dogs living together?

Next thing you are gonna tell me its that DNF is gonna be releas...oh wait.

We're living in interesting times old boy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
For those who want to know more, this is basically the ARG that Valve has been doing coming to an end. Yesterday all the Potato Sack games updated with real Portal 2 content, as in Portal 2 themed levels and stages based around these particular games. We now know the 'story' of the ARG; GlaDOS hyjacked a bunch of independant developers and Valve, and is using their games as 'testing rooms' for 'us' to participate in. You can read a pretty good summary of events, from the perspective of it being a story, here.

The biggest give away comes from Gaijin Games, developer of the Bit.Trip series. Bit.Trip Beat is part of this ARG, and when their game updated with Portal 2 themed content they made a blog post. Of note is the bolded;

Then a group of intrepid Internet Nerds figured out a plot to get the massively anticipated Portal 2 released early.

GLaDOS seems to be testing us. What could she want? What happens if you complete the new BIT.TRIP BEAT level? What happens if you PERFECT it?

This content won’t be available for long, so if you want a whole new BIT.TRIP level full of new challenges set to beats laid down in Portal 2, pick up the Potato Sack to get BEAT for 75% off or buy it on its own for 50% off.

*If you buy the Sack and you already have some of the games in it, you can gift them to a friend! Also, by buying the pack and playing all the games in it, you’ll get unique items for use in Team Fortress 2 and Portal 2’s Co-Op Mode.

Heck, just by playing the games, you might even help to get Portal 2 released early…

Continue rocking on. Over and out.

EatChildren said:
For those who want to know more, this is basically the ARG that Valve has been doing coming to an end. Yesterday all the Potato Sack games updated with real Portal 2 content, as in Portal 2 themed levels and stages based around these particular games. We now know the 'story' of the ARG; GlaDOS hyjacked a bunch of independant developers and Valve, and is using their games as 'testing rooms' for 'us' to participate in. You can read a pretty good summary of events, from the perspective of it being a story, here.

The biggest give away comes from Gaijin Games, developer of the Bit.Trip series. Bit.Trip Beat is part of this ARG, and when their game updated with Portal 2 themed content they made a blog post. Of note is the bolded;

Well then...

Bring on Friday.

itxaka

Defeatist
DoctorWho said:
Well then...

Bring on Friday.

I already asked a friend if he would lend me his laptop to play it. I expected it to launch te 19th and I was coming home on the 23th so I could wait a couple of days. But this many?? I am unable.

Blizzard

Banned
I don't know why they would do the full preload a full week ahead of time unless they just want to make sure their preorderers have the game downloaded (which is good) and don't have to fight for bandwidth. Of course knowing popular Steam releases we may end up with the situation where too many people are trying to access activation servers or something. =P

It would be awesome if the game released for preorderers this weekend, since I could actually play the singleplayer without having to take a day off work before everyone on the internet is spamming spoilers everywhere.

Of course, preorderers should still get a Portal 2 pin and/or hat in TF2 without having to buy Potato games. ;_; Why Valve, why?!

This content won’t be available for long, so if you want a whole new BIT.TRIP level full of new challenges set to beats laid down in Portal 2, pick up the Potato Sack to get BEAT for 75% off or buy it on its own for 50% off.

Wait, so after this event all the new content is going to just be inaccessible? That's pretty shitty.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Oh, and I left out the other part.

One of the puzzles, the bathysphere puzzle to be specific, resulted in a single phrase;

"4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM"

The former is the exact date and time Portal 2 is 'scheduled' to unlock/release. The latter is the date we're thinking it will unlock early.

Top Bottom