• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 release THIS FRIDAY? (no, but you can jump through hoops for Valve)

EatChildren said:
Oh, and I left out the other part.

One of the puzzles, the bathysphere puzzle to be specific, resulted in a single phrase;

"4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM"

The former is the exact date and time Portal 2 is 'scheduled' to unlock/release. The latter is the date we're thinking it will unlock early.

Eastern or Pacific?

EatChildren said:
"4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM"
even before yesterday's update flood this seemed like a pretty heavy-handed hint that it would unlock on friday

my only question is will it be for all who preordered, or broken down into something like having to own a game from the potato pack, or collected any amount of potatoes

Fletcher

I know it's not going to happen (I have it pre-ordered on PS3 through amazon), but how fucking amazing would it be to get a package on Friday and it be Portal 2. I'm not getting my hopes up for that one, but it sure as hell would be rad. I think Valve has the power(money) to do something like that.

P.S. all games should be released on Fridays again.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DoctorWho said:
Eastern or Pacific?

No idea.

Mr. Spinnington said:
even before yesterday's update flood this seemed like a pretty heavy-handed hint that it would unlock on friday

my only question is will it be for all who preordered, or broken down into something like having to own a game from the potato pack, or collected any amount of potatoes

Indeed. That bathysphere puzzle was the one big clue that didnt seem linked to anything else, and if anything implied something major was going to happen on that date.

For what it's worth, if I miss out because I dont own the whole Potato Sack, or because four taters isn't enough, I'm probably going to go on a killing spree. Probably.

mantidor

I would be excited, but my card chose to die for some reason, and I won't get to play it even if it's released, I think I'm going to preorder anyway.

Jackl

PS3/Xbox amazon deal suddenly makes much more sense now. Have to reel in people despite competitions 48 hour exclusive launch.

EatChildren said:
For what it's worth, if I miss out because I dont own the whole Potato Sack, or because four taters isn't enough, I'm probably going to go on a killing spree. Probably.
and my axe

i only own a handful of the games... bt i think that odds are it'll be a friendly unlock and either owning just one of the games or having just one potato is the strongest qualifier they'd slap on an early release for Portal 2, just to try and get everyone to experience a little ARG action

the means of getting to any potatoes for the the first round are incredibly easy, and loads of people own at least one of the games from the potato pack. since the most any Steam user would have to spend is $2.50 if they couldn't wait until tuesday, they'd get a great indie title and Portal 2 on friday

what's not to like

Instro

Fletcher said:
I know it's not going to happen (I have it pre-ordered on PS3 through amazon), but how fucking amazing would it be to get a package on Friday and it be Portal 2. I'm not getting my hopes up for that one, but it sure as hell would be rad. I think Valve has the power(money) to do something like that.

P.S. all games should be released on Fridays again.

That would be so awesome :)

Daigoro

are there multiple parties actually working on an OT, or is someone just goofing?

get that worked out and get us an OT!

ajb1888

Banned
Oh man. Now I'll never focus on my work lol! Just the possibility of having this TWO days from now is hyping me through the roof!

Daigoro said:
are there multiple parties actually working on an OT, or is someone just goofing?

get that worked out and get us an OT!
The OT is being done by Botolf and I. Shurs was joking earlier. It'll be up tomorrow or Friday.

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
That's fucking stupid that the Portal 2 themed content added yesterday is being removed. Wtf.
Don't worry, you can always be like me and use the Steam option to not automatically update for those potato pack games!

(upon which Steam will reenable the option 5 minutes later ;___;)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Prophet Steve said:
Are they doing that now or something?
According to that Gaijan Games blog post (somehow I missed that line yesterday) they are doing it at some point in the future. It would be criminal for content of this quality to just be taken away because the promo is over.

LM4sure

Banned
shagg_187 said:
Release PC version this Friday, cash in on all the monies and then release on console on 21st for massive Scrooge McDuck damage.

That's the right move. And if they released it on Friday I would be there playing all weekend. Tuesday releases suck. I work all day Tuesday!

Blizzard

Banned
Stallion Free said:
According to that Gaijan Games blog post (somehow I missed that line yesterday) they are doing it at some point in the future. It would be criminal for content of this quality to just be taken away because the promo is over.
Seriously though, if you do find a way to make the "don't auto-update" option work in Steam let me know. I would also like to keep the updates until I have time to finish them.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
george_us said:
Sounds like this is going to be Steam only.

Please prove me wrong, Amazon.:(
I don't think they are going to prove you wrong. I'll let you know how the game is though. While you wait for your copy.

Muahahaha.

MultiCore

george_us said:

Even if they ship physical discs, you're still going to have a code you have to activate, and need a steam account, so what's the difference? Just get it on steam if you can't wait.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
george_us said:

Considering Portal 2 being released early is contingent upon the ARG being completed by the 15th, yes, it's strictly confined to Steam. Valve or Amazon simply can't click their fingers and have physical copies of the game appear in the hands of their respective owners. :p

TheExodu5

Banned
So what's this deal with collecting potatoes? I have the potato sack, but didn't realize there was a metagame associated to it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
MultiCore said:
Even if they ship physical discs, you're still going to have a code you have to activate, and need a steam account, so what's the difference? Just get it on steam if you can't wait.
Eh, Portal 2 is the kind of "event" game where I just wanted a physical disc to have it. But I ended up cancelling my GS pre-order and buying through Steam yesterday

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TheExodu5 said:
So what's this deal with collecting potatoes? I have the potato sack, but didn't realize there was a metagame associated to it.

Check this out, it's a day-by-day history of all the awesome shit you've been missing.

Fletcher

JaseC said:
Considering Portal 2 being released early is contingent upon the ARG being completed by the 15th, yes, it's strictly confined to Steam. Valve or Amazon simply can't click their fingers and have physical copies of the game appear in the hands of their respective owners. :p

It seems that this whole ARG has been in the works since December, if not earlier. It's very possible that Valve has had it worked out with other retailers since then as well.

Having said that, do I think I will have the game on Friday? Not at all.

Fletcher said:
It seems that this whole ARG has been in the works since December, if not earlier. It's very possible that Valve has had it worked out with other retailers since then as well.

Having said that, do I think I will have the game on Friday? Not at all.

If it has been worked out retailers, the stores themselves don't know about it. Surely, notification of an early release would have slipped out by now. Unless they are going to receive an e-mail morning of to start selling it.

That's not impossible.

We would have already started to see Amazon preparing to ship orders though, wouldn't we?

Blizzard said:
Seriously though, if you do find a way to make the "don't auto-update" option work in Steam let me know. I would also like to keep the updates until I have time to finish them.
create backups now, store elsewhere?

EatChildren

Tripwire publishes "One of our external testers has sent me a new device (shown). This device is designed to destroy one of our other external testers."

Tripwire_device.jpg

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HIT THE BUTTON

Portal 2 is going to be delayed by 3 hours:

The calendar experts at Valve were pretty "steamed" at us this morning, even after we broke out that great pun you just read. According to them, Portal 2 is actually getting unlocked on Steam at 7AM PST, not EST. According to us, they told us 7AM EST and are now backtracking to cover their butts. Either way, there's a chance the game might be delayed by three hours while we work this out.

Valve time indeed.

Was fired up to buy this baby on PS3, but with this news, and my love of Steam and PC over consoles in general, I just caved. Preloading this bad boy right now!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I just realised that the Cog save I used to access the BestLaidPlans level you need to beat to get the first ApSci log-in page unlocked a few Steam achievements at precisely the same time.

I suppose using the new save that allows you to play the two new ApSci log-in levels wouldn't be that much more of a transgression, even though it'll unlock many more if not the rest of the achievements...

Edit: I'm stupid and thought this was the ARG thread.

george_us

MultiCore said:
A) I had planned on playing co-op with a friend on PS3

B) I want my $20 credit

george_us said:
A) I had planned on playing co-op with a friend on PS3

B) I want my $20 credit

A) You still can! (unless you mean splitscreen co-op)

B) Steam 2-pack copy costs $39.99. Pretty close to a $20 credit off of the PS3 version.

Top Bottom