• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 release THIS FRIDAY? (no, but you can jump through hoops for Valve)

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Clicking "like" one time is not days worth of effort. It's one second of effort for each individual. The Valve thing, however, is potentially days worth of effort *for each person involved*. It's an important difference, but one you ignore in order to make a point. I agree with you that the final stage of this ARG is rubbing people the wrong way and Valve should learn something from this. I'm also going to assume the commercial gain for their supported indies is pretty significant, and possibly worth the vocal minority's pain.
It's definitely paying off sales wise. Portal 2, Potato Sack and Potato Sack + Portal 2 Bundle are the top 3 sellers on the Steam store right now.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TheExodu5 said:
That's even worse!

People need to remember big thing with Portal 2; it's part of the Half-Life universe, but first and foremost built as a Portal game. Valve stated, only a month or so ago, that while Portal 2 would have a few things here and there that cluey Half-Life fans will spot, there wont be anything blatantly thrown at the player, nor will it act as a direct 'Half-Life' game in the sense that it fills out a ton of Half-Life stuff. The ending, and most of the journey, wont be anything Half-Life, even if it does have clues and hints to Half-Life stuff along the way.

TLDR: Expect Portal, not Half-Life!

samoset

I just wonder what people hope to get out of posting spoilers so early. It certainly won't be a positive reaction since so many here are eagerly awaiting release to see for themselves. The only thing I can think of is that they hope to spoil people just to troll which is a pretty jerkish thing to do.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
TheExodu5 said:
Me and my stupid need to highlight things without thinking. ;_;

I feel for you. I've been on a media blackout since pre-E3 2010, but my silly habit of automatically highlighting spoiler tags potentially un-did that.

*woah*

Scary stuff.

MNC

Welp, and with that single youtube link and spoiler I'm not going to click/highlight, I bid portal 2 threads a fare well and I'll see you guys online/the other side.

For science.

Fox318

qazqaNii said:
stupid shit

6AhG3.gif

Get that shit outta here.

Zenith

Banned
morningbus said:
Your opinions are so consistently wrong I've developed a theory that no poster with a username beginning with the letter Z can be right about anything.

Edit: Sorry Zeliard.

Seems the consensus has swung behind my view. As per usual I've been ahead of the curve.

TheExodu5 said:
Me and my stupid need to highlight things without thinking. ;_;
I do the same god damn stupid thing.

EatChildren said:
I haven't seen the ending, but have spoke to those who have, and what he put in that box sounds like a fair bit of bullshit to me, as people I've heard the complete opposite. At least in regard to the ending cinematic (not necessarily the game).
Hope you're right :)

morningbus said:
Your opinions are so consistently wrong I've developed a theory that no poster with a username beginning with the letter Z can be right about anything.

Edit: Sorry Zeliard.
Was my candy that bad? :'-(

epmode said:
Right. It's worse.

Of course it would be "worse" if you disagreed with it. Hitting a single button on a social network site requires approximately zero effort. And all for a silly trailer. Why anyone puts that example forward as a beacon of comparison to how wrong this particular event is, is beyond me. In other words, that was my point

IchigoSharingan said:
  • Both make you jump through hoops
  • Both require days' worth of community effort
  • Both are terribly thought out
  • Both promote more marketing out of the community
  • Both have eventual unlocks with the potential for early release
  • Both are pissing gamers off on principle/logic
    [*]Both give rewards that are optional, but overall not worth the effort required.

• The Hoop of hitting a button on Facebook. They had best provide some refreshments after all that work.
  • Days of convincing others to hit a button on Facebook. How much more will they ask for?
  • "IF I WERE KING"
  • Shame on Valve supporting indie developers. Who could help but compare that to social network marketing?
  • "Early release of a 12 minute trailer! Someone pinch me!"
  • "One is pissing gamers off who dislike Facebook."
  • "I can't stress the effort required to hit a button on a social network enough!"

IchigoSharingan said:
Speaking of logic, stating we can either ignore it or play indie games is a logical fallacy: false dilemma. It is one that is constantly repeated in this thread, in many flavors.

I didn't say that those were your only options. Obviously you retain the right to bitch endlessly on the internet about a company giving you the opportunity to play a huge release hours or days early. By ignoring it, you still get your game early and you don't have to waste monumental effort preaching to the internet about it.

(._.)

Banned
honestly, spoiler posts about the fucking ENDING of this game before its out is retarded. the tag is abused enough on this forum so people will highlight them thinking it is nothing. the game isn't even out yet so you can't really blame them. think before you post please, spoiler posters.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
(._.) said:
honestly, spoiler posts about the fucking ENDING of this game before its out is retarded. the tag is abused enough on this forum so people will highlight them thinking it is nothing. the game isn't even out yet so you can't really blame them. think before you post please, spoiler posters.
He didn't spoil anything. SPOILERS ABOUT WHAT THE ENDING OF PORTAL 2 IS NOT:
The ending of Portal 2 has nothing to do with Episode 3.

Jex

Zenith said:
Seems the consensus has swung behind my view. As per usual I've been ahead of the curve.
Not quite. Apparently in this thread that view has some support but in the main ARG thread it does not. Interesting.

TheExodu5

Banned
qazqaNii said:
Alright guys to make it clear... I didn't
spoil
anything.

The game is not bad.

Oh my god I highlighted the spoiler again!

You didn't really do anything wrong as you clearly marked your spoiler beforehand...you just have to account for people being careless with spoiler tags :{

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Clicking "like" one time is not days worth of effort. It's one second of effort for each individual. The Valve thing, however, is potentially days worth of effort *for each person involved*. It's an important difference, but one you ignore in order to make a point. I agree with you that the final stage of this ARG is rubbing people the wrong way and Valve should learn something from this. I'm also going to assume the commercial gain for their supported indies is pretty significant, and possibly worth the vocal minority's pain.

The sum of the marketing campaign requires days of effort in total. It can't all be done in one afternoon, realistically. Also, there are an amount of users who helped market the game to help hurry along the LIke count. So no, I did not ignore the difference.

qazqaNii said:
CLICKING ON THIS VIDEO SHOWS THE ENDING OF THE GAME SO DON"T CLICK IT IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SEE THE ENDING OF THE GAME

That video definitely made my eyebrows crinkle together.

it seemed way too empty though... I suppose I'll have a look-see in the OT if it's been confirmed to be the true ending and not an alternate

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
There was really no need to bump this thread given the ARG thread has been on the front page for the past gazillion hours.

Edit: A release by tonight? Are we looking at the same countdown page?

Maybe if this Auxiliary power rumor is true.

03:39: Unlock-icon.png arg2 chatroom user Willox indicates since 88 is the ascii code for 'X' then it might mean the Auxiliary Power will kick in at X 375,466 potatos using the number Steve posted in the BostonIndies Has anyone seen Ichiro messages we received April 13th. Potato count is currently at X 363,499. [Speculation]

LM4sure

Banned
JaseC said:
There was really no need to bump this thread given the ARG thread has been on the front page for the past gazillion hours.

Edit: A release by tonight? Are we looking at the same countdown page?

dont think arg thread has portal in title. this is better

Rlan

Well my weekend is over, so I don't care anymore. I was hoping the game would get released with the original countdown since I'm away from Easter onwards, and wouldn't be able to play the game.

Thanks for pulling my heartstrings, Valve. At least I got to play Might & Magic: Clash Of Heroes instead on XBLA :p

JaseC

LM4sure said:
dont think arg thread has portal in title. this is better

Yes, but as I said the discussion of the countdown timer has dominated the ARG thread, and that's because at this point of the ARG all the focus is on unlocking Portal 2. The treasure hunting aspect finished days ago.

The thread title may not imply it at all, but the ARG thread is the practically the Portal 2 countdown OT.

Botolf said:
Hate to miss it for sleep, but bedtime was 5-6 hours ago. Shit :[

5-6 hours ago? Just stay up. :p

Slo

I really like the idea in theory, but I really question the pacing of the whole thing. Each game should have sped the timer up ~4 hours. Valve couldn' t have thought that rallying the community for the whole weekend for only a couple hours payoff was a good idea, could they?

JaseC

Slo said:
I really like the idea in theory, but I really question the pacing of the whole thing. Each game should have sped the timer up ~4 hours. Valve couldn' t have thought that rallying the community for the whole weekend for only a couple hours payoff was a good idea, could they?

Current theory is that when we hit 375.something thousand potatoes (based on a clue found earlier in the ARG), they'll kick in speed up the process a fair bit.

Top Bottom