• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal RTX review/benchmarks - Can you run portal?

Is your PC ready?

• No

Votes: 51 32.5%
  • No, i'm on AMD

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • I have something of a 3070 or better. DLSS saves my ass

Votes: 68 43.3%
  • I have a 4090, maybe 30 fps 4k

Votes: 21 13.4%

• Total voters

Buggy Loop

This is the new benchmark on PC to use whatever you have for hardware as a punching bag.
Releasing december 8th, but already reviews/benchmarks in :

New making of

Launch party

Impressions

Again techpowerups with a 5800x CPU... this is known to bottleneck the 4000 series, but whatever

vram.png

performance-1920-1080.png

performance-3840-2160.png

fb0.jpg

Full path tracing is a killer, and this is a lot more complex than Quake II as on top of having more complex maps, the portals have rays going through them.

Without DLSS? Anything under a 3070 @ 1080p is wiped out to ridiculous FPS like 1fps on RDNA 2's flagship or Turing are completely wiped. I'm sure someone will make a switch of FSR 2 to DLSS 2 somehow but i don't think the 5fps @ 1080p or 1 fps @ 4k is recoverable with image reconstruction here..

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I can feel my 3070 is sweating already.

Will try for shit and giggles.

CuNi

The platform looks awesome, and I can't wait to see what more talented people with a more reasonable mind can create that doesn't need a TOP500 computer to render 1 frame every other second.
Notice how it even changed textures etc.

But they really went overboard with the RTX effects… That looked like positive eye cancer to play.

Celcius

°Temp. member
This is the new Crysis.
I've been hyped to try this since they announced it. DLSS is going to save my 3090 and it looks like having all this vram will finally pay off as well.

Reallink

It actually doesn't in the beginning areas all the comparison videos are showcasing. Sterile stark white lab environments with every nook and corner well lit is perhaps the worst imaginable showcase for path tracing. Maybe more complex later environments show it off better, but these intro rooms everyone's making videos of I could never pick the 2 apart without a label.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
It suits the game style very well. On some titles, RTX can feel like overkill, but I think the test chambers are perfect for heavy reflective and lighting effects.

It actually doesn't in the beginning areas all the comparison videos are showcasing. Sterile stark white lab environments with every nook and corner well lit is perhaps the worst imaginable showcase for path tracing. Maybe more complex later environments show it off better, but these intro rooms everyone's making videos of I could never pick the 2 apart without a label.

It looks very different to me. And I think the minimalist geometric rooms are a perfect way to showcase raytracing.

It reminds me of the original era of raytraced renderings, from the 90s, on things like Trapper Keepers:

trapper keeper said:

I love that vibe of simple geometries with all kinds of light reflection, and I think it works for the Portal 1 aesthetic (probably not for Portal 2, since "natural dilapidation and disrepair" was its governing aesthetic).

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
So basically a 4090 marketing tactic.

Sadly nobody will care about it, this shit should run on a 3080 at 4k at 100+ fps.

All 12 people will be happy with this game.
If people are going to have this attitude then no wonder we don't have games that push boundaries on PC anymore.
Nowadays PC ports just get you better frame rates and higher resolutions... if they made more stuff like this then folks would be saying "it's just to sell 4090s" apparently.

Buggy Loop

Sadly nobody will care about it, this shit should run on a 3080 at 4k at 100+ fps.

Quake 2 RTX doesn't even do that with a 3080

It's path tracing guys, nobody is trying to convince developers to make a game with only this rendering technique locked and miss 90% of the market share. It's a free demo.

Plenty of peoples will be able to try it out with DLSS. There's also "gasp" settings! Doesn't have to run at max.

1ru4foykc6s91.png

I'm getting tools (RTX remix) that will update graphics of old dx9 games to this level? For free?! Oh my god, let me go on the internet and complain that it's trying to sell high end cards or that i don't see the point because for sure i would just fucking prefer to play the original at 400 fps, DUH.

Last edited:

Puscifer

All this shows me is that RT continues to be a waste of resources on the hardware we have available today.

My eyes are telling me that nothing about this justifies it being the most demanding game ever made.
Been saying this from the get go. They sold a feature meant for lighting artist to have an easier time doing their job as something beneficial for gamers when it reality it's anything but.

Now suddenly I'll have people responding to me saying how suddenly in over 20 years of gaming that original showing technique's were all bad and never good and that ray tracing was everything they envisioned it to be plus a bag of chips.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
This is supposed to convince me to spend €2k on a 4090?
A free tech demo isn't supposed to convince you to buy anything. It's to showcase technology.
No.
A 3080 should run a fully path traced game at 4K 100fps when it cannot even do that for fucking Quake?
And this card will probably still end up outselling AMD's entire lineup.

Buggy Loop

You’d expect users on an enthusiast gaming forum to be less stupid, but alas…

Looks insane. My 2070 definitely can’t handle this lol

With the fact that it's basically hijacking a game's communication to Dx8-9 API, rip almost all of it to another way more complex overlay to pour RTX path tracing, new AI textures, geometry and shaders, and the inject that back to your screen at even playable frame, is fucking witch craft.

I still can't believe that this is a thing. A mod tool to hijack a game with so many profound changes to it's rendering technique with no developer support. Portal RTX is showing the framework, can't wait to see what other mods we'll see.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This is the new Crysis.
I've been hyped to try this since they announced it. DLSS is going to save my 3090 and it looks like having all this vram will finally pay off as well.
What? No.
If the difference between Crysis running on a maxed PC and on a PS2 had been the equivilant of the difference between what you see in those RTX on and RTX off screens then Crysis could never have existed.

Buggy Loop

What? No.
If the difference between Crysis running on a maxed PC and on a PS2 had been the equivilant of the difference between what you see in those RTX on and RTX off screens then Crysis could never have existed.

Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

I don't get your point. "This is the new crysis" means it basically hammers any of the tech present in those days. Literally we have cards that can't even run Portal RTX at higher than 1080p. Whether you think it's worth the performance penalty for what it does or not, doesn't matter. Same could be said with Crysis ultra effects and Witcher 2's ubersampling.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

I don't get your point. "This is the new crysis" means it basically hammers any of the tech present in those days. Literally we have cards that can't even run Portal RTX at higher than 1080p. Whether you think it's worth the performance penalty for what it does or not, doesn't matter. Same could be said with Crysis ultra effects and Witcher 2's ubersampling.
You can cripple a GPU rendering a furry anus looking thing - doesn't make it the next Crysis. Crysis was a leap in gaming visuals - the kind of generational leap that people are currently always wanting to see. This just isn't that leap - the original Portal is already 90% of the way there and I bet you could get 99% there with some more restricted ray tracing implementation. As a tech demo it's cool but as a gaming goal for the generation - not really.

Shtef

I will try it just to see the rtx effects, but i doubt i will be playing it fully on rtx 3060ti.

Orta

Banned
4k ray tracing just ain't going to happen unless you have deep pockets. And even at that a 4090 just about scrapes 60fps.

Would love to see it applied to MS Flight Simulator in ultra settings for the lolz. May be possible on an rtx 8090ti....

Last edited:

Kupfer

Raytracing for a 15 year old game that melts graphics cards ... all well and good, but most of all unnecessary and resource consuming

And then there's this guy :

One guy making this run on a real N64 is way more impressive than a multi million dollar company implementing rAyTrAcInG

Last edited:

Soodanim

The thing with Portal is that I'm never going to pay attention to the lights and reflections because they're inconsequential to the game. It's not a game about stopping and appreciating the visuals, and I'm thinking about the puzzles. It's a fun game turned into a benchmark.

nikos

I have no desire to play this game again, but I’ll give it a try to see how my 4090 does.

I have a 4090. Playing at 1440p with DLSS Quality and setting the light bounces to 1 for both minimum and maximum will result in a maybe boost to performance. Won't be surprised if I can cap 138 fps like that. MAYBE I'll need DLSS performance for it but whatever.

GHG

I have a 4090. Playing at 1440p with DLSS Quality and setting the light bounces to 1 for both minimum and maximum will result in a maybe boost to performance. Won't be surprised if I can cap 138 fps like that. MAYBE I'll need DLSS performance for it but whatever.

What's the default number of light bounces?

winjer

Gold Member
Considering it takes a 4090 to do 60 fps 4K, it's not very impressive.
It does look better than the original. But it doesn't look that good to justify the performance it has.

Seems like the tesselation ploy all over again, to force users to upgrade to the most expensive GPU.

tvdaXD

I have a 2080Ti, I haven't played it yet but seeing some results I should be able to run it... I can't vote with that though.

Xdrive05

Apparently my RTX 3050 will be at 37fps average, 25fps 1% lows using DLSS performance at 1080. OUCH! My kid really wants to play it though, so he'll be getting the Xbox 360 performance experience for that eye candy.

calistan

Shouldn't the targeting beams from the turrets be rendered as light sources? They don't appear to affect the environment in that video (@1'30").

Top Bottom