• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal RTX review/benchmarks - Can you run portal?

Is your PC ready?

• No

Votes: 51 32.5%
  • No, i'm on AMD

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • I have something of a 3070 or better. DLSS saves my ass

Votes: 68 43.3%
  • I have a 4090, maybe 30 fps 4k

Votes: 21 13.4%

• Total voters

FrozenFlame

Perhaps it's because I've become a plebe but I don't see the worth on RT considering the cost (money and framerate wise). Dunno, maybe I'm being unfair but playing RE Village on my 1060 was more impressive than that Portal video.

30 fps at 1440p on my RTX 3080 will be fine for this game. It's a free update and just a showcase for how good ray-tracing can look so will be nice to have for taking some screenshots and checking out how it looks. If you want to play the game with higher framerates then you can still play the normal version.

Holammer

If people are going to have this attitude then no wonder we don't have games that push boundaries on PC anymore.
Nowadays PC ports just get you better frame rates and higher resolutions... if they made more stuff like this then folks would be saying "it's just to sell 4090s" apparently.
I remember when people got upset over the introduction of shaders in games. Why use such a complex & GPU intensive solution when a simple texture is enough?
15-20 years from now RT will just be a regular feature

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I see a lot of bitch ass whining for a free mod.

I don't think anyone's mad about a free mod existing, I think it's moreso people pointing out that RT continues to prove the juice isn't worth the squeeze on the hardware we have available today.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I remember when people got upset over the introduction of shaders in games. Why use such a complex & GPU intensive solution when a simple texture is enough?

Excited Lets Go GIF

Bingo

This fucking industry is being dragged forward, kicking and screaming.

The ramifications of the tech is far and wide and creates interests at universities to develop better algorithms and solutions to accelerate it. Doing nothing would just slow this way down. What would the industry be like if we listened to every little graphical improvement complaints we had in the past 25 years?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Shaders didn't cost 1600 dollars to use and they didn't require AI to assist the gpu in rendering processes

hlm666

30 fps at 1440p on my RTX 3080 will be fine for this game. It's a free update and just a showcase for how good ray-tracing can look so will be nice to have for taking some screenshots and checking out how it looks. If you want to play the game with higher framerates then you can still play the normal version.
You should be able to get it to a mostly locked 60 on your 3080 by reducing the light bounces to 2 (4 is max and default) and using dlss quality (so rendering at 1080p) judging by what some of the videos have shown.

Kenpachii

Excited Lets Go GIF

Bingo

The ramifications of the tech is far and wide and creates interests at universities to develop better algorithms and solutions to accelerate it. Doing nothing would just slow this way down. What would the industry be like if we listened to every little graphical improvement complaints we had in the past 25 years?

Nvidia marketing:
- See's game or demo, sponsors it.
- Ups the settings for barely any visual difference to x amount so only there new products can run it well
Releases:
- Idiots with to much money: OMG i need this card, look i need that performance because its the only card that can run it. My old card isn't useful anymore ( aka jensen focuses on ). ( funny enough when a actual games does come out that supports it and pushes the visuals forwards, u will have to upgrade again because the 4090 suffers the same shit as the 3080 at that point. So its basically a endless money grind for nvidia. its laughable really.
- Anybody else that buys GPU's already for a long time: fuck off nvidia, we don't want your 32x hairworks in witcher 3, we already saw your tricks 30 times before and are done with it.
- People that try there hardest to defend there 2k space heater, like you with "but meh university's and meh shaders and meh whatever bullshit u can come up with"
- 1 day later, people fine tune the demo/game/whatever by adjusting 1 overkill setting to make it run on every piece of hardware without any barely visual difference
- crickets.

And repeat.

It's always the same shit really, how people still fall for this crap is beyond me.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

Btw you can't be saying this shit when the games pushing graphical tech forward are all on the 400 dollar cheap affordable Playstation 5. Nvidia isn't pushing Jack shit forward besides prices

OverHeat

« generous god »
Nvidia marketing:
- Ups the settings for barely any visual difference to x amount so only there new products can run it well
Releases:
- Idiots with to much money: OMG i need this card, look i need that performance because its the only card that can run it. My old card isn't useful anymore ( aka jensen focuses on ). ( funny enough when a actual games does come out that supports it and pushes the visuals forwards, u will have to upgrade again because the 4090 suffers the same shit as the 3080 at that point. So its basically a endless money grind for nvidia. its laughable really.
- Anybody else that buys GPU's already for a long time: fuck off nvidia, we don't want your 32x hairworks in witcher 3, we already saw your tricks 30 times before and are done with it.
- People that try there hardest to defend there 2k space heater, like you with "but meh university's and meh shaders and meh whatever bullshit u can come up with"

It's always the same shit really, how people still fall for this crap is beyond me.
did jensen kill your mom or something.....so much salt in your post

Thaedolus

Nvidia marketing:
Releases:
- 1 day later, people fine tune the demo/game/whatever by adjusting 1 overkill setting to make it run on every piece of hardware without any barely visual difference
- crickets.

And repeat.

The Nutty Professor Dancing GIF by Laff

Ev1L AuRoN

not even DLSS ULTRAPERFORMANCE AT 1080p can save my poor 2060 the VRAM requirements alone will destroy most GPU's...

Buggy Loop

Btw you can't be saying this shit when the games pushing graphical tech forward are all on the 400 dollar cheap affordable Playstation 5. Nvidia isn't pushing Jack shit forward besides prices

The tech you have in consoles is because of the development of DXR and ML in the AMD-Nvidia-Microsoft-Intel consortium that happened around 2017 and that are based on Nvidia’s own papers.

You have any idea how much Nvidia is involved in universities for these researches? How many papers they publish either by themselves or in collaboration with universities? Stop acting like Jensen fucked your girlfriend or something, other than tribal mentality of green vs red camp, they’re both part of consortiums to advance tech forward and both agree on this path.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad

I don't get your point. "This is the new crysis" means it basically hammers any of the tech present in those days. Literally we have cards that can't even run Portal RTX at higher than 1080p. Whether you think it's worth the performance penalty for what it does or not, doesn't matter. Same could be said with Crysis ultra effects and Witcher 2's ubersampling.
Crysis didn’t just that it destroyed every PC at the time. It did that while also looking a generation ahead of every game out and doing utterly insane things that no other game was even trying to do.

This is Portal. We played this shit fifteen years ago. In fact, it came out a few weeks before Crysis! These effects are completely superfluous. I actually find the idea that Nvidia thinks this is some sort of prize for their overpriced GPUs to be insulting. It was kind of cool and cute with Quake 2 RTX but that was 3 years and 2 hardware gens ago.

Last edited:

Ivan

I hate what they're doing with these RTX "remasters" so much... Nvidia is so smart, they created the problem and now they're offering a solution.

Every ray traced bullshit looks so out of place in old games and it's plain ugly and wrong. Portal is actually one of the better examples with it's simplistic look.

That nvidia RTX remix is one of the slimiest ideas in a while and I hate that "hardware enthusiasts" around the world are buying it that easily. it is stupid and wrong on so many levels and every game with primitive 3D graphics will look even worse with ray tracing. They have no taste and people are following unfortunately and celebrating that shit like the best news ever.

Last edited:

damidu

if you are trying to convince me to buy your absurd card which would bend my motherboard to a pretzel without construction aids,
at least do it with a game that looks the part.

Banned
I see the conversation in here already started to be highly retarded... I didn't expect it to be any different tbh. but I still get disappointed in humanity even tho I expected this, which I guess means I still have hope?

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Hmmm, play a game at 160 FPS with jaw-dropping visuals @ 3440x1440 Ultrawide resolution

or

Play a game with full RTX at 7 FPS with slightly better than jaw-dropping visuals @ 3440x1440 Ultrawide resolution

I'm going to contemplate this for a while and get back to everyone in a few days.

Buggy Loop

Any chance seeing Portal RayTracing on Consoles?

None

I should maybe have explained it better in the first post but, Portal RTX is not a typical game release where a studio would ask source code from the dev and release a whole new executable on possibly a new engine and API.

This is using RTX remix, which is basically the equivalent of Tom Cruise grabbing on a plane to hijack it mid flight in mission impossible. It’s hijacking the original unmodified game’s communication to dx9 API and putting it in a new container with a whole different rendering technique, new geometry and textures, for you to see. This release is made with Valve’s vision of what it should look like, but it’s a mod and soon when RTX remix releases, there can be many visions of what Portal RTX can or should be and so will it for dx8 & 9 games with fixed function pipeline as this is the loophole that Nvidia found to hijack game code.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/what-is-...-the-biggest-breakthrough-for-pc-game-modding

04WG5r0BtFzrOVLoaz91Lue-8.fit_lim.size_1050x.jpg

This shouldn’t exist and that someone even found this API loophole and managed to put path tracing in it is fucking mind boggling.

It’s a mod community’s wet dream come true, especially those older games were extra hard to mod to begin with.

Last edited:
What's the default number of light bounces?
1 minimum 4 maximum. You can test in Quake 2 RTX with the console commands how taxing those increased rays are for light bounce. Low = 0.5, medium = 1, and high = 2. The performance hit from medium to high is massive, even from low to medium is noticable for barely any image quality improvement.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

1 minimum 4 maximum. You can test in Quake 2 RTX with the console commands how taxing those increased rays are for light bounce. Low = 0.5, medium = 1, and high = 2. The performance hit from medium to high is massive, even from low to medium is noticable for barely any image quality improvement.

Thanks for the info.

Even though the default settings have everything cranked, it seems like there are quite a few customisable options so I'm pretty sure everyone with a half decent RTX card will be able to get some optimised settings once someone goes through them all.

Hopefully Alex from DF actually does his job for once and goes through them.

Top Bottom