• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal RTX review/benchmarks - Can you run portal?

Is your PC ready?

• No

Votes: 51 32.5%
  • No, i'm on AMD

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • I have something of a 3070 or better. DLSS saves my ass

Votes: 68 43.3%
  • I have a 4090, maybe 30 fps 4k

Votes: 21 13.4%

• Total voters

Buggy Loop

I wonder how Intel cards will fair

That’s a very good question. Arc has a lot of silicon for their RT. I can’t find a benchmark of the A770 right now for Quake II RTX, but looking at other RT games, it’s around a 3060 Ti at less intensive RT effects and scales nicely to a 3070 roughly for more intense ones like cyberpunk 2077.

For sure someone will find a way to use FSR 2 in this since I believe if a game aussi DLSS 2, it can be changed. Will be interesting to see an A770 with FSR 2 how it scales in this.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Right now the game looks pretty mediocre compared to most AAA released since 2020, but runs 6-10× slower.
By the time we get mid-range hardware that manage to run this at decent framerates, this game will look like shit in comparison.

People comparing this (and other raytracing demos from Nvidia) to Crysis fail to understand that Crysis looked much better than anything else at the time, and 8 years later it still held its own against new games.
This is nothing like Crysis.

Looking at this shit reminded me, what the fuck happened to that Project Offset videogame that was being demo for the Larrabee processor? The shit just went ghost.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Portal RTX vs Original RTX 3080 Graphics Comparison

This is 1:1 gameplay comparison. RTX version is a pre release build still being optimized so the game at release will surely run better.

Since RTX version is super demanding to be able to capture the gameplay comfortable I played in 1440p at High Settings.

Original captured in 4k Max settings.
RTX version captured on 1440p High settings preset.

Buggy Loop

He seems to have a problem with his system or something, maybe CPU not good enough?

@ 7:40 he’s having good fps, but I’m ok mobile so maybe his resolution and scaling is way low

Anyway it’s a cute oddity Intel arc. Apparently it’s getting better on driver side.

MMaRsu

Banned
Why you use such low performing CPU with 3070?

My friend changed 3600 to 5800x3d and difference was massive with 3080. Your CPU is killing performance in many games.

Because at 1440p there is barely any fps difference

But I have already ordered the 5700x, mostly for Premiere and After Effects use.

Hohenheim

My 3090 / i9 12900k should be up for the task. I have actually never played Portal, so now seems like a good time.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Anyone know what time today this will release to the public?
I got a notification that it was available because it was on my wish list, but when I try to add it to my library I get an error. Not sure if it's just me or what.

edit

Seems like it's everyone

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I got a notification that it was available because it was on my wish list, but when I try to add it to my library I get an error. Not sure if it's just me or what.

edit

Seems like it's everyone
There's a message on the forum saying they're aware of the issue and working on it but no ETA yet.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Played a bit. 3090 on 1080p with DLSS 3. So far, it runs pretty much at 60fps. Frames drop when I'm looking through the portals, nothing below 50fps. With DLSS off, it drops to low 40's.

Tarin02543

runs decent on my 12100F/3060. I think I'll play on my tv with controller, this game does not need super high framerates anyway.

Doczu

Stupid question, but is SLI still a thing? Can i hook up 2 4090 to face Portal in 4k without DLSS?

Thaedolus

Stupid question, but is SLI still a thing? Can i hook up 2 4090 to face Portal in 4k without DLSS?
Nah. SLI's pretty much dead AFAIK.

Also here's a live look at me trying to read 4K UI from my couch:
MQpHFeh.png

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
SLI is dead.
Nvlink just got killed with the 40 series so even thats off the table.

Hohenheim

Played a bit. 3090 on 1080p with DLSS 3. So far, it runs pretty much at 60fps. Frames drop when I'm looking through the portals, nothing below 50fps. With DLSS off, it drops to low 40's.
Probably stupid question, but I thought DLSS 3 was only available on the 4000-series? I have a 3090, and thought DLSS 3 was of the table.

Thaedolus

Ah, how intuitive.

This runs at around 30fps on my 2070 with the help of DLSS, which is fine enough to mess around with but not great. I was hoping to build a new rig soon anyway.
There's a note in the top left corner when you first load the game, but it's tiny and easy to miss.

On my 1440p monitor I'm getting ~90FPS with DLSS on balanced, frame generation off. Frame generation seemed to introduce a lot of latency. On my 4K TV it seemed to be getting around 60 but I didn't get up and try to look at the FPS counter which was unreadably small. With DLSS off I was getting around 40FPS @1440p...probably what I played it at when it first came out tbh but DLSS doesn't seem to look any worse, and plays great without frame generation. Not sure what the point of that feature is if it introduces noticeable latency.

Shtef

Its doesn't run that bad, on ryzen 5600x and rtx 3060ti on 1440p with dlss performance with high settings I am getting avarage 55 fps, sometimes it would jump to 90 and lowest I have seen is above 40.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
Probably stupid question, but I thought DLSS 3 was only available on the 4000-series? I have a 3090, and thought DLSS 3 was of the table.

I thought the same too, but its there. When i turn off DLSS 3, the frames drop. When back on, its pretty stable.

Hambone

Played RTX ultra dlss 3 at 3440x1440 on a 3080TI/i7 8700k. fps bounced between mid 40-50s.

Last edited:

calistan

Runs fine on 5900X and 3080 Ti at 1440p, but I was expecting a bit more 'wow' factor. I suppose it's hard to tell without having the original version running alongside it, but it really doesn't look that different in motion. You get some light sources and reflections on the portal gun, shadows from the energy ball things, and the character's reflection in the glass dome at the start.

I'm about halfway through, left everything on default, and so far it doesn't look massively better than normal Portal to me. It needs a button to swap between the new and original graphics, like Quake 2 RTX. And how did the file size go from <4 GB for standard Portal to >23 GB for RTX?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Runs fine on 5900X and 3080 Ti at 1440p, but I was expecting a bit more 'wow' factor. I suppose it's hard to tell without having the original version running alongside it, but it really doesn't look that different in motion. You get some light sources and reflections on the portal gun, shadows from the energy ball things, and the character's reflection in the glass dome at the start.

I'm about halfway through, left everything on default, and so far it doesn't look massively better than normal Portal to me. It needs a button to swap between the new and original graphics, like Quake 2 RTX. And how did the file size go from <4 GB for standard Portal to >23 GB for RTX?
Better textures, added ray tracing code, etc…

calistan

Played some more, no performance problems at all (other than the view through new portals being briefly blanked out, which I suspect is a limitation of the engine). It's cool that somebody has done this, but I think they could have done more to really show off the ray tracing effects, even if it meant messing with the core game.

I remember being completely blown away by the Darkmatch setting in the OG Unreal back in the day, where the level was pitch black except for whatever was illuminated in your flashlight or lit up by projectiles. A mode where they turn out the house lights and give the player a head-mounted torch would be pretty amazing in Portal RTX, and would really highlight what they've achieved with the lighting engine.

Banned
It really is taxing as fuck.

My 3060ti can get to 30fps at 1080p, but the best experience is running 1440p with DLSS performance mode. While it's getting fuzzy with such an agressive DLSS setting at 1440p it runs at ~60 and looks fine

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, it ran very well. I had everything left on except motion blur. Started with no change and DLSS3 and it felt like 120fps but had no frame overlay on so couldn't verify. Changed it to quality and it felt smooth but more like a solid 30 or more. Not quite 60. Balanced seem to get me to 60 but quality felt good and responsive. Reflex probably helping a lot here.

Top Bottom