• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal RTX review/benchmarks - Can you run portal?

Is your PC ready?

• No

Votes: 51 32.5%
  • No, i'm on AMD

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • I have something of a 3070 or better. DLSS saves my ass

Votes: 68 43.3%
  • I have a 4090, maybe 30 fps 4k

Votes: 21 13.4%

• Total voters
I think it's time to accept ray tracing is at least 10 years too early and stop making it such a priority.

If 30 series cards are struggling to get double figures in frames with it enabled at 4k, and stretching to hit over 40 at 1080, then I'm unsure who exactly this technology is for - considering the vast majority of pc gamers are on significantly weaker hardware and current gen consoles can't utilise it fully as well.

It's going to be at least another two console generations and probably another two or three GPU series before the trickle down effect guarantees the average player has technology capable of enabling ray tracing at playable frame rates at a ubiquitous 4k resolution.

When you can pick up a ps7 or RTX 60 series second hand for such a reasonable price that it becomes the default in most set ups we might see ray tracing being a viable option for the majority.

Until then, it's a niche, a glimpse at the future, which is completely out of reach in any meaningful way for the overwhelming majority of customers.

hlm666

Probably stupid question, but I thought DLSS 3 was only available on the 4000-series? I have a 3090, and thought DLSS 3 was of the table.
older RTX gpus can still use the upscaling and reflex parts of dlss 3 but they can't turn on frame generation.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Probably stupid question, but I thought DLSS 3 was only available on the 4000-series? I have a 3090, and thought DLSS 3 was of the table.

I thought the same too, but its there. When i turn off DLSS 3, the frames drop. When back on, its pretty stable.
DLSS falls back to only using Super Resolution and Reflex.
The Frame Generation part of DLSS 3 doesnt "currently" work on pre 40 series cards.

Does frame generation stutter really bad for anyone else? I have a 4090 and Rivatuner shows a perfectly flat 6.9ms frametime but it is visually very stuttery.

Zimmy68

Runs great for me on my 3080.
I forget how great this game is. It is the ultimate "just one more level" game.

yamaci17

Yeah, I can. It is playable and runnable for me. Dunno others.

Rtx 3070 1440p dlss performance + 3 rays + 40 fps limit. it looks clean and sharp enough, DLSS does a fantastic job. it works, dunno

ESQ6p4j.jpg

hlm666

How do you set/change DLSS 2? I loaded up last night and I'm not seeing any settings apart from the standard video settings in portal
Press alt x when ingame, it brings up the rtx settings and you need to set dlss to custom then you can switch between the different dlss levels.

I cranked up all the settings in the (same old dated) menu to their highest settings but left the ray-count, or whatever it is, on 2 (recommended) and at 1440p the game runs great on my i7-4770K, 16 GB, RTX 3080 system, which is encouraging as I will be upgrading the system to an i5-13600KF and 32 GB in the next week or so.

The game looks nice but I'm not blown away by the visual overhaul as much I thought I would be. It has been years since I played the game and, daft as this sounds, I remember this game looking much closer to how it looks now than it actually was! I think the disappointment is because the game itself is still exactly the same with the same bland menus and blocky subtitles and I really wish that this had been a proper remaster with RTX. Still it is a *free* upgrade so there is that and a proper remaster certainly would not have been.

*EDIT*
Oh, I didn't know about Alt-X. Will have to check those settings out later...

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Does frame generation stutter really bad for anyone else? I have a 4090 and Rivatuner shows a perfectly flat 6.9ms frametime but it is visually very stuttery.
I felt like frame generation was adding noticeable lag and turned it off. Dropped my “FPS” from 120ish to 90ish but it felt much better to play. DLSS works great but that particular feature doesn’t

calistan

The game looks nice but I'm not blown away by the visual overhaul as much I thought I would be. It has been years since I played the game and, daft as this sounds, I remember this game looking much closer to how it looks now than it actually was! I think the disappointment is because the game itself is still exactly the same with the same bland menus and blocky subtitles and I really wish that this had been a proper remaster with RTX. Still it is a *free* upgrade so there is that and a proper remaster certainly would not have been.
It does seem like a lot of computational expense to replace the original fake lighting, which always looked very nice, with authentic lighting that doesn't look a huge amount better. Maybe Portal 2 would look more impressive, with all that shiny gel flying around.

Banned
It does seem like a lot of computational expense to replace the original fake lighting, which always looked very nice, with authentic lighting that doesn't look a huge amount better. Maybe Portal 2 would look more impressive, with all that shiny gel flying around.

people managed to import Half Life 2 maps into this, maybe you can put Portal 2 maps in as well 🤔

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished playing Portal RTX on my 3090. I played at 4K with maxed out settings and balanced DLSS and had a great time. For fun I turned off DLSS and saw it run in slideshow mode lol. As far as VRAM usage with DLSS off I saw it use the entire 24gb at one point and with it on I saw it use up to 80% (19.2gb) of VRAM. All in all it was a very cool ray tracing showcase and I can't wait to see RTX Remix added to more classic games (I hope someone does Oblivion or Unreal Tournament 2004).

Buggy Loop

Just finished playing Portal RTX on my 3090. I played at 4K with maxed out settings and balanced DLSS and had a great time. For fun I turned off DLSS and saw it run in slideshow mode lol. As far as VRAM usage with DLSS off I saw it use the entire 24gb at one point and with it on I saw it use up to 80% (19.2gb) of VRAM. All in all it was a very cool ray tracing showcase and I can't wait to see RTX Remix added to more classic games (I hope someone does Oblivion or Unreal Tournament 2004).

This filtered PCGamingWiki list is supposedly what someone could filter out of the list to get dx8-9 with fixed pipeline as best as they could, some are not supposed to be there like 2D games but you can have an idea.

My wish list in no particular order :
  • Portal 2
  • Half life 2
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
  • F.E.A.R.
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • S.TA.L.K.E.R.
  • Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
  • Silent hill 2
  • Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

bbeach123

I had 3070 and I think vram was the botleneck . Tried dying light 2 , cyberpunk 1440p dlss ray tracing . Most of the time it was fine, fps was not the problem , but sometime the fps drop really bad, stuttering , which I think its the lack of vram causing problem .

Last edited:

gatti-man

I think it's time to accept ray tracing is at least 10 years too early and stop making it such a priority.

If 30 series cards are struggling to get double figures in frames with it enabled at 4k, and stretching to hit over 40 at 1080, then I'm unsure who exactly this technology is for - considering the vast majority of pc gamers are on significantly weaker hardware and current gen consoles can't utilise it fully as well.

It's going to be at least another two console generations and probably another two or three GPU series before the trickle down effect guarantees the average player has technology capable of enabling ray tracing at playable frame rates at a ubiquitous 4k resolution.

When you can pick up a ps7 or RTX 60 series second hand for such a reasonable price that it becomes the default in most set ups we might see ray tracing being a viable option for the majority.

Until then, it's a niche, a glimpse at the future, which is completely out of reach in any meaningful way for the overwhelming majority of customers.
It’s not a priority. It’s not taking up any resources that could be dedicated to other games. Ray tracing is the future and that’s why it’s featured in FREE DEMOS like this and in other games as a toggle.

It’s hard to take all this negativity in this thread seriously beyond “I’m too poor to own the hardware so I think this is stupid”. It’s not stupid. It’s the future and the people funding all these new features that will one day be common are the people buying this wildly expensive cards. That’s how tech works.

Banned
This filtered PCGamingWiki list is supposedly what someone could filter out of the list to get dx8-9 with fixed pipeline as best as they could

what exactly are the full requirements for games to work?
is it just dx9 and dx8 support? because if so Mirror's Edge also should work but it's not in this list.

Mirror's Edge has a dx10 and dx9 renderer.

and that's also the game I want the most.
it doesn't even need much tbh... adding RT reflections to windows, pipes, reflective floors etc. would be enough to modernise the game a ton.

It’s not a priority. It’s not taking up any resources that could be dedicated to other games. Ray tracing is the future and that’s why it’s featured in FREE DEMOS like this and in other games as a toggle.

It’s hard to take all this negativity in this thread seriously beyond “I’m too poor to own the hardware so I think this is stupid”. It’s not stupid. It’s the future and the people funding all these new features that will one day be common are the people buying this wildly expensive cards. That’s how tech works.
You've basically just repeated most of what I said and agreed with me.

The other stuff about "being too poor" is inane drivel.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Lights coming through portals blow my mind.
But other than that it’s not worth running so slow. It’s just a tech showcase but does not win over “holy shit let’s make games like that now”

JRW

DLSS definitely saved my ass...

Feast your eyes on DLSS Performance mode at 1080P lol.. ok I thought it would look worse and its running 50-60fps this way at least, 3060 Ti / 13600K

Default Ultra ray tracing preset.

ivI77v1.jpg

yamaci17

DLSS definitely saved my ass...

Feast your eyes on DLSS Performance mode at 1080P lol.. ok I thought it would look worse and its running 50-60fps this way at least, 3060 Ti / 13600K

Default Ultra ray tracing preset.

ivI77v1.jpg
Give 1440p DLSS (DLDSR) perf a try, looks much better than 1080p dlss qua and gets around 35-45 FPS which is more than enough for a super slow paced game

Reactions: JRW

Buggy Loop

is it just dx9 and dx8 support? because if so Mirror's Edge also should work but it's not in this list.

it doesn't even need much tbh... adding RT reflections to windows, pipes, reflective floors etc. would be enough to modernise the game a ton.

Also has to be a fixed function pipeline, which is dx8 and 1-2 years into dx9 until it got dropped.

So Mirror’s edge is probably not fixed function.

But the list is with errors, since pcgamingwiki is filled with information from fans, some games don’t have the shader version listed and that was filtered out, so even some dx8 games that should be there were removed.

Dx8 list without filters

It’s a narrow selection of « interesting » games. It was peak ps2 / Xbox / GC era and PC was largely ignored. Still some interesting ports I would like to see remastered with this like the Silent hill 2-3-4 and MGS2.

Maybe Nvidia will find a way around the other APIs someday.. or modders will find surprising games as some games would have a dx8-9 renderer but be dx9c or dx10 because of the UI. I’m sure we’ll see some gems from the mod community.

Last edited:

Filben

Game crashes when starting a new game. RTX 3080 and Ryzen 3600 with 16GB RAM.

I don't bother anymore. I'm too old to care that much about graphics that I need to troubleshoot. I'd rather play the original, which doesn't crash.

Korranator

running 4k on a 3070

on ultra setting only getting 20fps, but if dial it down to high setting then switch to custom to re-turn on various settings then if runs a 30fps+

Buggy Loop

Just finished the game with a 3080 Ti at ultra settings, ~35-45 ish fps at balanced. It's a tough game to run. The developers advanced settings seems really detailed, i wonder if someone will find interesting tweaks. The denoiser debug mode is interesting too, always fascinating to see just how much work is done in the background to solve this.

marjo

It was playable for me at 3440 x 1440 on my 3080 will DLSS set to balanced. One thing's for sure tough, with or without RTX, Portal is still the G.O.A.T.

Buggy Loop

Oh and for Mirror’s edge, the Nvidia leak said there’s an official RTX remaster, gotta trust the leaks so far. Won’t be RTX remix, but you’ll get what you want I’m pretty sure

gatti-man

You've basically just repeated most of what I said and agreed with me.

The other stuff about "being too poor" is inane drivel.
Lol ok you can act like that’s what you said but words still have meaning. You literally say stop making RTX a priority on a thread about a free demo. Clown harder

Banned
Oh and for Mirror’s edge, the Nvidia leak said there’s an official RTX remaster, gotta trust the leaks so far. Won’t be RTX remix, but you’ll get what you want I’m pretty sure

well Portal RTX was in the same leak and that turned out to be this modded version using RTX Remix.

so I assume that Mirror's Edge RTX will also be made with RTX remix tbh 🤔
which is why I was surprised by the absence of it on the list of potentially compatible games.

I kinda hope it is a dedicated RTX remaster that doesn't just bruteforce a fully pathtraced renderer but instead uses RT in a more nuanced and less powerhungry way.

Lol ok you can act like that’s what you said but words still have meaning. You literally say stop making RTX a priority on a thread about a free demo. Clown harder
You do realise everyone can see other people's comments, right?

I said what I said, you then repeated it, whilst claiming I was in the wrong, and now you're doubling down.

Seriously, you need to calm down, read slowly, and think before you respond.

But, here's a question for you - and let's see if it registers and the proverbial lightbulb goes off - what percentage of pc gamers (can even?) enable ray tracing when they play a game?

Would you say it's 20%?

10%?

1%?

What about 0.1%?

Honest answer.

Then ask yourself how long it'll be before the majority of people can enable ray tracing and their hardware is such that it has almost no effect on performance and allows high refresh rate gaming as standard for the overwhelming majority.

I'll give you my opinion - it's a tiny percentage and it'll be years, maybe even many years (you know, like another GPU and console generation at least), before it is ubiquitous for the majority.

Everyone who understands the technology appreciates this, though you clearly don't.

So, I'll wait for your response and before you do reply please think about it for a bit...then acknowledge the stupidity of your attack or slink off and hide.

Last edited:

FireFly

You call 4K "ubiquitous", yet only 2.6% of users in the Steam survey run at this resolution. 1080p + 1440p capture 76% of the market in total, and I imagine a substantial proportion of those who do have 4K monitors also have the graphics cards to drive them.

As far as Portal RTX goes, its crazy high requirements at stock settings are due to it being set to simulate 8 (!) bounces. With some optimisation you can get much more reasonable performance on more modest hardware.

Of course it still is highly demanding but this is in a path traced title where rasterisation has been completely replaced by ray tracing. Realistically most titles will adopt a hybrid approach, using ray tracing for GI + reflections and perhaps shadows and rasterisation for other elements. In this context, ray tracing should not be considered an "all or nothing" thing, but a collection of features that users have the choice to enable. And even enabling ray traced reflections alone can have a big visual impact as Spider-Man shows, due to the limitations of SSR + cube maps.

Then ask yourself how long it'll be before the majority of people can enable ray tracing and their hardware is such that it has almost no effect on performance and allows high refresh rate gaming as standard for the overwhelming majority.
Why should we expect that substantial visual upgrades should come with (almost) no performance cost?

Last edited:

Banned
As far as Portal RTX goes, its crazy high requirements at stock settings are due to it being set to simulate 8 (!) bounces. With some optimisation you can get much more reasonable performance on more modest hardware.

you don't even have to use any developer options to get decent performance on the 3060ti.

with the following settings I get 40fps on it (1440p output resolution)

DLSS: Auto
Min Light Bounces: 0
Max Light Bounces: 2
Volumetric Lighting: Off (although this only saves a tiny bit of performance it seems)
Denoising Quality: High (actually looks better than Ultra, less shimmering)
Texture Quality: Ultra
Particle Light: Off
Enhanced Assets: On (obviously)
Motion Blur: Off (also obviously)

so 40fps with decent image quality on a $400 msrp, last gen, mid range card is already pretty damn good.

Last edited:
You call 4K "ubiquitous", yet only 2.6% of users in the Steam survey run at this resolution. 1080p + 1440p capture 76% of the market in total, and I imagine a substantial proportion of those who do have 4K monitors also have the graphics cards to drive them.

Of course it still is highly demanding but this is in a path traced title where rasterisation has been completely replaced by ray tracing. Realistically most titles will adopt a hybrid approach, using ray tracing for GI + reflections and perhaps shadows and rasterisation for other elements. In this context, ray tracing should not be considered an "all or nothing" thing, but a collection of features that users have the choice to enable. And even enabling ray traced reflections alone can have a big visual impact as Spider-Man shows, due to the limitations of SSR + cube maps.

Why should we expect that substantial visual upgrades should come with (almost) no performance cost?

I said many years in the future when a 4k resolution may well be ubiquitous versus 1080p being the norm (still) for a lot of people at the moment.
Idid give context, but I can see where it might have been poorly worded on my part.

Also, it's not that we should expect such a noticeable visual upgrade with no performance cost so much as it is the reality of people simply not enabling it BECAUSE it has such a high performance cost.

If you aren't using a 30 or 40 series GPU, which most people aren't, it's difficult to justify turning it on when it effectively makes the game unplayable.
Even then, those 30 and 40 series cards can't just turn RT on and maintain competitive FPS in a lot of games.

I would suggest single player experiences are, in my opinion, where it'll have the most use providing it can be enabled without dropping below 60 fps, or maybe 30 for some.
I feel like my point is, ultimately, valid and we won't really see the majority of players being in a position to enable RT for many years.

Does that mean it should be abandoned?

Of course not.

It has to be refined, upgraded, rejigged, and it is an obvious visual improvement that will (hopefully) aid immersion.

Last edited:
you don't even have to use any developer options to get decent performance on the 3060ti.

with the following settings I get 40fps on it (1440p output resolution)

DLSS: Auto
Min Light Bounces: 0
Max Light Bounces: 2
Volumetric Lighting: Off (although this only saves a tiny bit of performance it seems)
Denoising Quality: High (actually looks better than Ultra, less shimmering)
Texture Quality: Ultra
Particle Light: Off
Enhanced Assets: On (obviously)
Motion Blur: Off (also obviously)

so 40fps with decent image quality on a $400 msrp, last gen, mid range card is already pretty damn good.
Yes, you are right.

But, I was speaking more generally about how long it'll be before ray tracing can be something the majority are able to use without a significant performance hit.

Do we know why/if DLSS, or a similar technology, can do anything to mitigate the performance hit or is it something that cannot be played with as it will cease to be ray tracing...if that makes sense?

FireFly

I said many years in the future when a 4k resolution may well be ubiquitous versus 1080p being the norm (still) for a lot of people at the moment.
Idid give context, but I can see where it might have been poorly worded on my part.

Also, it's not that we should expect such a noticeable visual upgrade with no performance cost so much as it is the reality of people simply not enabling it BECAUSE it has such a high performance cost.

If you aren't using a 30 or 40 series GPU, which most people aren't, it's difficult to justify turning it on when it effectively makes the game unplayable.
Even then, those 30 and 40 series cards can't just turn RT on and maintain competitive FPS in a lot of games.

I would suggest single player experiences are, in my opinion, where it'll have the most use providing it can be enabled without dropping below 60 fps, or maybe 30 for some.
I feel like my point is, ultimately, valid and we won't really see the majority of players being in a position to enable RT for many years.

Does that mean it should be abandoned?

Of course not.

It has to be refined, upgraded, rejigged, and it is an obvious visual improvement that will (hopefully) aid immersion.
I was reacting to your comment that ray tracing is "10 years too early" when it can be enabled on mid range GPUs and give playable performance. When Half-Life 2 came out, DirectX 9 was pretty new and you needed around a 9600 Pro to get good performance. But if you had that card or better, you would have a great experience. I see a similar situation with ray tracing where if you have a 3060 and game at 1080p, you should be able to enable some ray tracing effects and get playable performance. And if you game at 1440p you can enable DLSS to do the same.

That doesn't mean most people will be able to do this, because most people don't even have a ray tracing capable GPU, just like most people didn't have a Direct X 9 compatible GPU when Half-Life 2 came out. So you have distinguish between a technology not being "ready" for use, and not being available for the majority of players.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
If people are going to have this attitude then no wonder we don't have games that push boundaries on PC anymore.
Nowadays PC ports just get you better frame rates and higher resolutions... if they made more stuff like this then folks would be saying "it's just to sell 4090s" apparently.
I mean I'm all for more bells and whistles but not at the expense of framerate. A bad game will never suddenly be good because of the visuals. Gameplay is king. Playing anything on PC below 120fps at 1440p already feels ancient so personally I'm not that excited for a technique which puts us back to square one basically.

Granted it is truly impressive that some cards out there can utilize this tech at a good framerate already (and at 4K even!) but it's a shame it will be many more years before the rest of us plebians, with more affordable rigs, can experience it as well.

Allandor

Well that's a shame. Rtx3070 and not even able to run this rt game with 1440p and without dlss (ok it is path tracing). I really still don't like the reconstruction artifacts. RT is still much too soon to be ready for the market.
Still needs a few generations to be ready for the mainstream market.

I was reacting to your comment that ray tracing is "10 years too early" when it can be enabled on mid range GPUs and give playable performance. When Half-Life 2 came out, DirectX 9 was pretty new and you needed around a 9600 Pro to get good performance. But if you had that card or better, you would have a great experience. I see a similar situation with ray tracing where if you have a 3060 and game at 1080p, you should be able to enable some ray tracing effects and get playable performance. And if you game at 1440p you can enable DLSS to do the same.

That doesn't mean most people will be able to do this, because most people don't even have a ray tracing capable GPU, just like most people didn't have a Direct X 9 compatible GPU when Half-Life 2 came out. So you have distinguish between a technology not being "ready" for use, and not being available for the majority of players.
Hmmmm...I'm not sure I entirely agree it can be "enabled on mid range GPUs and give playable performance".

Regardless, my point was that it's not viable for the majority.

Yes, of course, there will always be people who have hardware at the bleeding edge - and those in the mid range and low end are never going to have the same experience.

Which is fine, as you get what you pay for.

All I'm saying is I think it'll be many years before the majority of gamers have hardware that means RT can be enabled and performance is consistent and at the bare minimum acceptable frame rate (which is 30 for some and 60 for others).

If the most common resolution for Steam users is 1080p and the most common GPU is 1660 or something similar, it shows how far we have to go for those statistics to change to 1440 or 4k and a 30 series (at minimum) - which I think will be the minimum requirement to really see what RT can offer.

Personally, I believe there'll be a 60 series and ps7 by the time that happens.

I think that's fair, if you look at how long these things can take to work their way down the hardware food chain, 10 years isn't that long.

The PS4 is nearly 10 years old, for perspective.

Last edited:
Top Bottom