• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal RTX review/benchmarks - Can you run portal?

Is your PC ready?

• No

Votes: 51 32.5%
  • No, i'm on AMD

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • I have something of a 3070 or better. DLSS saves my ass

Votes: 68 43.3%
  • I have a 4090, maybe 30 fps 4k

Votes: 21 13.4%

• Total voters

Buggy Loop

Regardless, my point was that it's not viable for the majority.
Which is fine, as you get what you pay for.

All I'm saying is I think it'll be many years before the majority of gamers have hardware that means RT can be enabled and performance is consistent and at the bare minimum acceptable frame rate (which is 30 for some and 60 for others).

If the most common resolution for Steam users is 1080p and the most common GPU is 1660 or something similar, it shows how far we have to go for those statistics to change to 1440 or 4k and a 30 series (at minimum) - which I think will be the minimum requirement to really see what RT can offer.

I think that's fair, if you look at how long these things can take to work their way down the hardware food chain, 10 years isn't that long.

The PS4 is nearly 10 years old, for perspective.

I still find 4K being a huge waste on PC. (And heck sometimes even TV, my Pioneer Kuro fools a lot of peoples at 1080p)

As for adoption, just look how Ampere managed to insert itself in steam hardware survey. There’s more peoples owning a 3080 than the entire market share of the RDNA 2. It’s still not a 1650 case but at the same time, most users are fine playing CS GO, Dota 2 and never run a big AAA RT game it seems.
1ru4foykc6s91.png

By 5000 series I think we can stop worrying about who is having RT or not. It won’t be easier to run, but then who needs rasterization at 600fps

There’s currently no games planned with full path tracing to be sold for money by any studios. They know the market conditions, and if they do offer us something nice like full ray tracing, it’ll be optional. This is really just a demo to showcase tech, get talk going about it, interest researchers at universities, and for those that can, a nice experience on your GPU. Anyone with an ampere can at least try it, Turing is a bit more tight.. RDNA 2 and Intel Arc need a driver update most likely to get a boost in performance (Intel arc doesn’t even boot the game apparently)

FireFly

Hmmmm...I'm not sure I entirely agree it can be "enabled on mid range GPUs and give playable performance".

Regardless, my point was that it's not viable for the majority.

Yes, of course, there will always be people who have hardware at the bleeding edge - and those in the mid range and low end are never going to have the same experience.
Well consoles are typically targeting 30 FPS at 1440p+ for ray tracing, and deliver around 2060 level ray tracing performance. While, the 3060 delivers around 2070 Super level performance for ray tracing. So you are talking about a 1.33x more powerful GPU running at half the resolution in 1080p, which should be enough for 60 FPS at 1080p.

If you look at the benchmarks, you see that in many cases the 3060 is above or close to 60 FPS with *max* ray tracing settings:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-radeon-rx-6650-xt-gaming-x/33.html

So 60 FPS should be perfectly possible by lowering settings. This is on a $329 GPU and without even using DLSS. So we're not talking about a technology that depends on "bleeding edge" hardware to get 60 FPS at lower resolutions. And yes, I get that you're saying that "most people" still don't have even 3060 class hardware. But what follows from that? That the technology isn't ready for use by current mid-range GPU owners? No, as I have argued, since you can turn down ray tracing settings to get playable performance. That developers won't incorporate it into their games, because the install base isn't there? No, because support already exists on consoles. That rasterisation isn't going away? Yes, sure, since the consoles aren't performant enough for path tracing. But ray tracing can happily continue to exist alongside rasterisation.

Last edited:
Well consoles are typically targeting 30 FPS at 1440p+ for ray tracing, and deliver around 2060 level ray tracing performance. While, the 3060 delivers around 2070 Super level performance for ray tracing. So you are talking about a 1.33x more powerful GPU running at half the resolution in 1080p, which should be enough for 60 FPS at 1080p.

If you look at the benchmarks, you see that in many cases the 3060 is above or close to 60 FPS with *max* ray tracing settings:

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/msi-radeon-rx-6650-xt-gaming-x/33.html

So 60 FPS should be perfectly possible by lowering settings. This is on a $329 GPU and without even using DLSS. So we're not talking about a technology that depends on "bleeding edge" hardware to get 60 FPS at lower resolutions. And yes, I get that you're saying that "most people" still don't have even 3060 class hardware. But what follows from that? That the technology isn't ready for use by current mid-range GPU owners? No, as I have argued, since you can turn down ray tracing settings to get playable performance. That developers won't incorporate it into their games, because the install base isn't there? No, because support already exists on consoles. That rasterisation isn't going away? Yes, sure, since the consoles aren't performant enough for path tracing. But ray tracing can happily continue to exist alongside rasterisation.
Yes, I agree that it can be enabled "for use by current mid-range GPU owners".

That's not my point, and never has been.

I'm saying that, as a piece of technology, it's many, many years away from being available to the majority of players.

That's all.

Until the vast majority of pc gamers have that mid range hardware you speak of - hardware, by the way, that isn't really powerful enough to really let RT flex it's muscles - then it's a niche setting, something for the small minority with the hardware to take advantage.

That's all I've been trying to say.

I still find 4K being a huge waste on PC. (And heck sometimes even TV, my Pioneer Kuro fools a lot of peoples at 1080p)

As for adoption, just look how Ampere managed to insert itself in steam hardware survey. There’s more peoples owning a 3080 than the entire market share of the RDNA 2. It’s still not a 1650 case but at the same time, most users are fine playing CS GO, Dota 2 and never run a big AAA RT game it seems.
1ru4foykc6s91.png

By 5000 series I think we can stop worrying about who is having RT or not. It won’t be easier to run, but then who needs rasterization at 600fps

There’s currently no games planned with full path tracing to be sold for money by any studios. They know the market conditions, and if they do offer us something nice like full ray tracing, it’ll be optional. This is really just a demo to showcase tech, get talk going about it, interest researchers at universities, and for those that can, a nice experience on your GPU. Anyone with an ampere can at least try it, Turing is a bit more tight.. RDNA 2 and Intel Arc need a driver update most likely to get a boost in performance (Intel arc doesn’t even boot the game apparently)
Thank you for the information, it's very enlightening for me.

Banned
Half Life 2 with just the RT, without proper PBR material and light source adjustment of course, but already shocking

1670562505906D6DnDkB8CvB1CEDr.png

1670562505905lDcCkB97DIvDiCSD.png

Apparently someone has it working in Deus Ex, screenshots should appear soon.

I tried running HL2 with it but the game crashes like 10 seconds after the level loaded, so not much to look at in that time 😅

Buggy Loop

Seems like someone managed to get it working nicely in Half life 2, just the path tracing, makes me want to replay it with that.

Cmon remix, release already!

i now have a 4080 so going to give it a try. been wanting to replay the portal games.

what are the chances we get Portal 2 RTX? even if it's just a mod. some posts here show other games with RTX that they've taken from portal. surely portal 2 can use it?

Banned
what are the chances we get Portal 2 RTX? even if it's just a mod. some posts here show other games with RTX that they've taken from portal. surely portal 2 can use it?

depends, I'm not sure if Portal 2 has a fixed function renderer like Portal 1.

but people got the newest version of Half Life 2 running in DX9 mode, which was believed to not be possible, but it seems it works, so Portal 2 could be possible

Just beat it in one sitting last night. Best experience I've had playing it ever. It ran at a pretty steady 60fps with everything maxed on Performance DLSS and it was incredible. It really does change some of the more unnoteworthy parts of the game into something very respectable and even unique at times. I'm not even a huge Portal fan by any stretch, but the visuals and writing really work so much better in the way it's presented now.

If anything it really has me more excited to see what the RTX Remix stuff can do with older titles. There's already a few great examples with SWAT4 and Half-Life 2 and the tech hasn't really been made publicly available or the greater whole at large haven't seem to jump into it yet, but it's exciting stuff.

Last edited:
had a shot of it this morning. i was expecting better... i mean it looks great but some of the screenshots i've seen look better than what i got (i think)

i'm running it on an RTX 4080 with ultra settings (never changed anything). i don't know what FPS i'm getting but it feels good and definitely playable. i'd say maybe 50-60fps for sure (at 1440p).

my 4080 never broke 55C and fans never went above 33%. VRAM didn't go over 10GB. i'm very impressed.

edit: i take it back. it's just my shitty memory and probably because i was seeing it in motion and focusing on the game. looking at screenshots again it probably does look the same lol.

Last edited:

yamaci17

ray reconstruction was amazing in alan wake 2 at 1440p/dlss quality. now it is time for some ray reconstructed glados time

Top Bottom