• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Portions of) Yakuza 3 coming to the West - March 2010

vocab

Lard said:
But this *isn't* the 80s or 90s and that's the point.

There's no good reason to butcher games anymore.

Well Sega is doing bad, saving money to devlop the latest Sonic game is cruical if they want to stay alive.

Larsen B

Audioboxer87 said:
Found an even better deal :D

ff13yakuza.jpg

Hope you got Quidco on those GAVIN DEVINE.

Got mine still ordered, still messing around with Heavy rain and FF13 comes out next week, going to be tough to find the time to play all these games for sure.

Zoc

Lard said:
But this *isn't* the 80s or 90s and that's the point.

There's no good reason to butcher games anymore.

There never was a good reason to butcher games.

The point I was trying to make was not to cut off your nose to spite your face. Yakuza 3 still looks like a good game.

depths20XX

Even amongst all this negativity, I'm still very excited to play this next Tuesday.

Yakuza 3
GoW III
Espgaluda II

All I'll be playing this month. SF4 too but that's always.

androvsky

dallow_bg said:
So is anyone seriously making the official thread?
Even is Sega sucks, Kazuma doesn't. :(

I was tempted, but I've been pretty busy lately. So if I did, it'd be kinda half-assed and missing a lot of features of the older official threads. But I could edit it later to add in more text/pictures/stuff if I found some time... It'd come out a lot better if someone else handled it.

Sorry, that's actually a serious response, it just happens to sound terribly familiar

Oozinator

Banned
What's up with the DLC for the Japanese version of Yakuza 3 ? I searched for it in the JP Playstation Store but only found the demo and trailers. was it disabled or is there some kind of IP address based region lock that prevents me from seing it ?

So, we are less than a week out, it's time toe decide FOR or AGAINST.
Personally, my initial rage has subsided and I think I'm getting a copy. I don't like missing the mahjong and shogi and I REALLY think Sega needed to say something about this shit when they announced it, but I've waited to long to play this to pass it up now. I'm keeping me pre-order intact. They can shove Yakuza 4 though if they are just going to do this again. I'll pick it up import and spare myself.

Oozinator said:
ah I see, but they did remove the KENZAN demo right ?

Yeah but if you are on the fence about it I'd say go ahead and pick it up. I was shocked how much I liked it and it's definitely a better game than RgG3/Yakuza 3.

androvsky

BobTheFork said:
So, we are less than a week out, it's time toe decide FOR or AGAINST.
Personally, my initial rage has subsided and I think I'm getting a copy. I don't like missing the mahjong and shogi and I REALLY think Sega needed to say something about this shit when they announced it, but I've waited to long to play this to pass it up now. I'm keeping me pre-order intact. They can shove Yakuza 4 though if they are just going to do this again. I'll pick it up import and spare myself.

Yeah, I'm buying it too. Not only will I get the pleasure of playing (portions of) another Yakuza game, bitching at Sega to patch in the missing content will provide many more hours of entertainment over the next few months.

Gotta do something now that we're actually getting a Sakura Wars game. :lol

Vard

dallow_bg said:
So is anyone seriously making the official thread?
Even is Sega sucks, Kazuma doesn't. :(
I agree! This game will need a thread for sure. What's sad is that this thread will likely have more posts than that one ever will. I'm sure the cut content talk wasn't the kind of exposure Sega wanted for the game, but at least a ton of people know of the game's existence now. :\

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I have this pre-ordered. But here's my question. I never played the Yakuza series before. Last year, I decided to go and hunt down the first two games, but they are still in my (huge) backlog. I know that the first game is dubbed and that the second is supposed to have a lengthy recap. So should I:

-Skip the original, play the second, then play the third game?
-Play all three?
-Skip the first two and just play Yakuza 3?

KTallguy

Banned
Hostess Bars are a major part of the series, but I guess it's too Japanese for most people. I have friends who enjoy that part of the game but I personally find it boring as hell.

Do they say if they cut out the management sim hostess bar part? Or the entire hostess element?

Vard

Lyte Edge said:
I have this pre-ordered. But here's my question. I never played the Yakuza series before. Last year, I decided to go and hunt down the first two games, but they are still in backlog. I know that the first game is dubbed and that the second is supposed to have a lengthy recap. So should I:

-Play all three?
I started playing the first 2 for the first time this year, finally. I'd say play them all! The second one pretty much improves on the first one in every way, but the first one's got its own charm due to the ridiculous (awesome) dubbing and the fact that it's the first in the series (story aspect).

Really enjoying the 2nd one too although I'm kind of skipping over some things to make sure I'll be ready for Yakuza 3's release. Might go back to it later too, particularly for the side stuff that's cut from the 3rd.

I've been playing Y2 to get prepped, and man, I forgot just how friggin awesome this series is.

and Y3 with original VO and cuts is preferable to an uncut and dubbed Yakuza, that's just my opinion tho. It stinks to lose some bonus stuff, but I'm be BS-ing myself if I said I'll miss it all that much.

Lyte Edge said:
I have this pre-ordered. But here's my question. I never played the Yakuza series before. Last year, I decided to go and hunt down the first two games, but they are still in my (huge) backlog. I know that the first game is dubbed and that the second is supposed to have a lengthy recap. So should I:

-Play all three?

Play all three, the first game has a great story too and the recap doesn't do it justice.

yak1.jpg

The betrayal -theme of the first game is awesome and this fight alone is worth playing through the game

yak2.jpg

And the theme of brotherhood of the second game is even a little better, and the music is amazing. Especially this scene!

spats

Not gonna bother with some pointless lttp thread, but I recently bought Yakuza 1 and 2.

I'm now about 6 hours into the first one and holy shit I love it. Great characters and setting and a really gripping story. Combat is satisfying and lots of fun regardless of the sluggish camera.

Even the english VA in the first one is surprisingly good(especially Kazuma, his delivery of all those super badass lines is absolutely golden!) , but can't wait to hear the original japanese audio in Yakuza 2.

This just got bumped up to one of my favourite action game series. Can't wait to finish the first two and dig into Yakuza 3.

Also can anyone confirm if there is any recap in this game like there was in Yakuza 2 for 1?

My memory is a bit hazy and I'll have FF13 to contend with prior to Yakuza 3, no time to replay first two.

Larsen B

Audioboxer87 said:
Also can anyone confirm if there is any recap in this game like there was in Yakuza 2 for 1?

Yeah, there's a story recap at the start of Y3.

AND, yes, you can get Quidco on pre-orders at The Hut. Knocks another £2 off Yakuza so it's sub-£30.

Larsen B said:
Yeah, there's a story recap at the start of Y3.

AND, yes, you can get Quidco on pre-orders at The Hut. Knocks another £2 off Yakuza so it's sub-£30.

Thanks.

Yeah I cancelled and went back and re-ordered, got £4.39 as I bought FF13 as well as seen above :D

bh7812

Banned
I respect everyone’s individual opinion and decision on whether to buy or not buy the game. I don’t post on message boards too often but I do feel like I need to post this because I’ll wish later I had.

I see on a few forums there are still some stragglers, holding on angrily to the cuts. The reality of the situation really is the fate of a whole series is at stake in the West. To re-iterate what I’ve said a few times in a few places..The odds of Y3 coming West were 1 in a billion. I had completely given up hope around the time they finally announced it was coming West. When you have two games that sell as poorly as the first 2 did, bringing over the third is a MAJOR risk overall. Somehow, some way we beat those odds and we are 5 days from the English release of Yakuza 3! Tuesday should be a day to celebrate, I know of very few cases where the company gives in and brings the sequel over in cases like this.

But, there is no doubt in my mind or heart this is the series FINAL chance here in the US. If it fails, there will be NO next time. NO second chance to get the series back on it's feet here. I don't want that. I want to see this series finally do good numbers here in the US. I want to see Yakuza 4 make it over.

So, to the stragglers still hanging to the issue it boils down to this. Take the next few days, take a deep breath, calm down and really think this through. Are you truly willing to miss out on what will surely be an excellent third installment of a truly great series over the cuts? and also, are you really willing to stay angry over this rather than celebrate the victory of getting Y3 to the US? We all want the same thing..for the series to finally do well here and finally get on it's feet. The ONLY way that's going to happen though is to buy the game. After you've bought it if you don't want to open it for a while and remain angry over the cuts, fine. If you truly do not want the game after the cuts, then keep the pre-order and buy it for someone who WILL enjoy it because more than likely they'll love it and recommend the series to their friends. The BEST way to deal with this is to buy the game and THEN keep pushing for the stuff to get added back if it truly upsets you. Can you truly be ok with not supporting a great series and just let it die here? I'm not willing to let the series die here, that's why I'm buying the game on Tuesday

I have to believe and have faith every last one of the stragglers still angry over this will, albeit grudingly and probably grumbling, will come through next week and buy the game. Keep the series alive here in the US, please. Celebrate on Tuesday, not be angry over these cuts. This is truly the last chance everyone. The series needs your support NOW. It will be too late to stop being mad and change your mind several months from now

Celebrate on Tuesday everyone, we beat the 1 in a billion odds and are getting Yakuza 3! In my heart, us getting this game is nothing short of a true miracle. We should be literally throwing a party and shooting off damn fireworks!

So..I'll be there on Tuesday...hopefully at Midnight picking this up along with Final Fantasy 13. It's decision time people. A series like Yakuza is rare and truly deserves the support. Now is the time to stand up and give it the support it needs. Now is the time to help it get on it's feet here. Complaining for DLC should come AFTER supporting it if you are still angry.

Ehn, I'm buying RGG4 instead. I'm sorry, but if SEGA isn't willing to do a proper localization, then I'm not giving them money for it. I'll be plucking a copy from the bargain bins in a month or so to keep my collection intact, but that's about it.

I'm buying this day one. I liked the first Yakuza a lot, and part 2 I think is one of my favorite games ever. I'm not a huge 'otaku' who goes gaga for Japanese shit just because it's japanese, but I really like how this series is put together. This and Paper Mario are soem of my favorite JRPGs mostly because of how different they are from most other games.

I messed around with some of the hostess stuff in part 2, but I really don't think I'll miss it that much, honestly. I guess it sucks that it's gone, but I'm really just happy to have the game coming. I'm picking this up over GOW and FF13- that's how excited I am to play it.

To all these people talking about picking this up from the bargain bin months after release, you might want to rethink that.

If I recall, Yakuza 2 wasn't exactly easy to find when it came out, and new copies aren't exactly cheap even now. Check Amazon.com to see what I'm talking about.

You really think Sega's gonna print out a big batch of this game? You're kidding yourself. My guess is that Gamestops will get exactly enough copies to cover preorders and nothing more. I doubt most big box stores are even gonna carry this, let alone have enough copies to end up in the 'bargain bin'.

As dumb as Sega's decisions sometimes are, they know this game is going to sell to the vocal minority. They're not going to be dumb enough to print out more copies than they think will sell.

Refuse to buy it on principle if that makes you feel good, but don't expect to pick it up on the cheap two months down the road. I expect it'll be like most Atlus releases- extremely limited quantities, and in and out of stores in the blink of an eye.

Whoompthereitis said:
To all these people talking about picking this up from the bargain bin months after release, you might want to rethink that.

If I recall, Yakuza 2 wasn't exactly easy to find when it came out, and new copies aren't exactly cheap even now. Check Amazon.com to see what I'm talking about.

You really think Sega's gonna print out a big batch of this game? You're kidding yourself. My guess is that Gamestops will get exactly enough copies to cover preorders and nothing more. I doubt most big box stores are even gonna carry this, let alone have enough copies to end up in the 'bargain bin'.

As dumb as Sega's decisions sometimes are, they know this game is going to sell to the vocal minority. They're not going to be dumb enough to print out more copies than they think will sell.

Refuse to buy it on principle if that makes you feel good, but don't expect to pick it up on the cheap two months down the road. I expect it'll be like most Atlus releases- extremely limited quantities, and in and out of stores in the blink of an eye.
Well, so be it. If it never hits that price, then I won't buy it. It would literally be the first SEGA title in years to not hit a bargain price within a few months, however.

I'm sorry to say this, but Sega made two massive cock-ups here, and I'd be willing to forgive them if it was just one:

1. The cut content. It probably wouldn't be too big a deal on its own, but snipping out bits of a game that sells to a cult fanbase does not strike me as intelligent.

2. The timing. Oh ye Gods, the timing. Let's look at what the PS3 is getting within a few weeks either way of this game:

- Heavy Rain
- BF:BC2
- God of War III
- BlazBlue (in Europe)

So that's (at least) two big names and two cult classics (although judging by the UK charts, you could also bump HR to the former too).

Oh, and there's also the small matter of that *other* Japanese blockbuster that arrives earlier in the same bloody week. The one that actually shifts copies in the west.

Did Sega think about this, at all?

LM4sure

Banned
Tranced Shadow said:
I'm sorry to say this, but Sega made two massive cock-ups here, and I'd be willing to forgive them if it was just one:

1. The cut content. It probably wouldn't be too big a deal on its own, but snipping out bits of a game that sells to a cult fanbase does not strike me as intelligent.

I disagree COMPLETELY! I think it makes perfect sense to cut out what they did. Some of the things cut would be pretty damn weird to the rest of the world. So that's a good thing. And Sega isn't trying to sell to a cult fanbase. The other Yakuza games were never released in the states were they? Sega is trying to sell this more to the mainstream.

And it's working because I'm going to buy it! WTG!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Tranced Shadow said:

2. The timing. Oh ye Gods, the timing. Let's look at what the PS3 is getting within a few weeks either way of this game:

- Heavy Rain
- God of War III
- BlazBlue (in Europe)

So that's (at least) two big names and two cult classics (although judging by the UK charts, you could also bump HR to the former too).

Oh, and there's also the small matter of that *other* Japanese blockbuster that arrives earlier in the same bloody week. The one that actually shifts copies in the west.

It's like they almost want it to fail....

Will be pulling a Segata and either buying it on sale or used. Really wanted to play Mahjong. :(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
LM4sure said:
I disagree COMPLETELY! I think it makes perfect sense to cut out what they did. Some of the things cut would be pretty damn weird to the rest of the world. So that's a good thing. And Sega isn't trying to sell to a cult fanbase. The other Yakuza games were never released in the states were they? Sega is trying to sell this more to the mainstream.

This is some kind of joke post or something? I'm not sure.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Tranced Shadow said:

- Heavy Rain
- God of War III
- BlazBlue (in Europe)

It makes me sad, because even though this is nowhere near a perfect game or franchise, it has a great deal of charm to me, and I'm even happy to accept it as the spiritual successor to Shenmue...

However, things like this make me glad I read into stuff a bit more before buying these days. I just don't understand why Sega have done it, and sincerely hope they listen to the fans and address it.

Any word on the PAL release being affected? The previous two games were released on PS2, with options for either language, and no content cut.

vocab

LM4sure said:

-_-

Holtz

LM4sure said:

WTF?! Are you high?

Dogenzaka

Banned
The other Yakuza games were sold here in the US with ALL their "WEIRD" content and found a home and consumer pool here with that.

They are essentially pissing off the people that were going to buy this in the first place.

Vard said:
If nobody else makes one by the end of the week, I guess I'll end up making one. I'd just base it off of Kagari's RGG3 thread though. Anyone planning on making it?

Alright, cool then. I guess Saturday or Sunday should be the cut-off. It's best to base it off of the RGG3 thread, throw in the worldwide release dates, boxarts (complete with comparison to the Japanese one :lol ), complete details on the cuts, info about English demo, maybe some fancy official art and image layout...but not necessary. PM me if interested in the layouts, graphics and images and we can work something out, just saying this because I don't know if I should have the responsibility of making the thread itself.

Whoompthereitis said:

Yep, I agree completely. These people saying "I'll just wait for it to hit the bargain bin, too much to play right now!" or "Screw Yakuza 3 for the cuts, I'll wait!" will be doing one of two things in the future:

1) Discovering in 6 months+ when they are curious to buy it that it won't be easily available used or new in Gamestop (any other retailers wouldn't have it since they either never had shipments, or sold out after the first and only print - stores like Best Buy for example), and end up not buying it at all because it's not available locally in retail and/or they never had genuine interest altogether and/or they couldn't even find copies of Yakuza 1 and 2 to begin with.

Or
2) Buy it online (Ebay) for a possibly higher price than $60 due to the rarity it's attained due to the low print runs.

Boulayman

Lol comment 3 at that blog post is already sabotaging haha

Comment # 3

So is it Yakuza 3 we get to play or is whatever was left of it after you butchered it cause it wouldn’t resonate?

Pun with 'resonance of fate' ? :lol

Anyway, I didn't come to post that. I just gave the NA demo another go while waiting for my dl of yakuza 4 to finish and I went to have a look at the le marche store and they do say that they will open up for le full game. I really don't see the point of having a le marche store without hostesses or am I missing something ? I only played through the first couple of games once each but I did spend quite some time on the extra hostess stuff in the second one and that's pretty much the only point I saw to those stores (meeting that old dude with the hot date at the other le marche store was pretty funny given what happens to him later on lol)

Edit: Yakuza 4 demo is a lot of fun :)

Top Bottom