• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Portions of) Yakuza 3 coming to the West - March 2010

Anyway, just to set your mind at ease, jetsetfluken:

Photo-0159.jpg

I'm in the middle of a move right now and I've already moved the PS2 manguystuffs, so poor RGG1, RGG2, Y1, Y2, and the various strategy guides I've accumulated aren't part of this family photo.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Whether or not Y4 gets an English version will depend on whatever the heck led them to do an English version of Y3, and whatever that was, it sure as heck wasn't sales.

It was fan reaction and hype among the Western regions. RGG3 was featured now and then along it's development as new screens/trailers/info arose on (Western) gaming news sites, causing curiosity about, to many people, an IP that was new to them (because we know many didn't even know Yakuza 1/2 even existed before RGG3's news).

Now with RGG4/Yakuza 4 getting a Japan release in April, where is the hype build-up and chatter about it among Western audiences? Nonexistent, either eaten up by Yakuza 3 localization news and discussion among the net (like this thread's topics) or forgotten with all the other Q1/Q2 release talk. The low sales of Yakuza 3 and the halt of discussion about it after it's release will not cause discussions bout RGG4, a game will already be out by the time this Yakuza 3 situation is forgotten (again, which may be shortly after release).
So, there you probably see your answer about Yakuza 4 getting localized.

jetsetfluken said:
It was fan reaction and hype among the Western regions. RGG3 was featured now and then along it's development as new screens/trailers/info arose on (Western) gaming news sites, causing curiosity about, to many people, an IP that was new to them (because we know many didn't even know Yakuza 1/2 even existed before RGG3's news).

Now with RGG4/Yakuza 4 getting a Japan release in April, where is the hype build-up and chatter about it among Western audiences? Nonexistent, either eaten up by Yakuza 3 localization news and discussion among the net (like this thread's topics) or forgotten with all the other Q1/Q2 release talk.
So, there you probably see your answer about Yakuza 4 getting localized.
Well, there you go. It's not coming either way! Now nobody has to feel burdened with baggage from the future.

Segata Sanshiro said:
(image)

I'm in the middle of a move right now and I've already moved the PS2 manguystuffs, so poor RGG1, RGG2, Y1, Y2, and the various strategy guides I've accumulated aren't part of this family photo.

I wasn't saying you're not interested or a fan of the series because of your criticisms of Yakuza 3's cuts, if that's what you are getting at. I appreciate your opinion, and like we've already said, nobody is going to change the outcome of what happens with RGG4's localization.

Hehe. I'll have to take photos of my RGG1 posters. Here's the photos from the old Ebay auction though. Who has the best RGG swag now?! :D :
wbxtw8.jpg
2copjde.jpg

FLEABttn

Banned
jetsetfluken said:
Now with RGG4/Yakuza 4 getting a Japan release in April, where is the hype build-up and chatter about it among Western audiences? Nonexistent, either eaten up by Yakuza 3 localization news and discussion among the net (like this thread's topics) or forgotten with all the other Q1/Q2 release talk.

I thought it had something to do with that it hasn't been announced for a western release yet, and that if we get one, it wouldn't be till 2011 at the earliest.

Figured that the Yakuza series isn't mainstream enough to general hype a year+ before a release you can even read. I mean, I'm day 1 with Yakuza 3 and it wasn't even on my radar until like 2 weeks ago.

jetsetfluken said:
I wasn't saying you're not interested or a fan of the series because of your criticisms of Yakuza 3's cuts, if that's what you are getting at. I appreciate your opinion, and like we've already said, nobody is going to change the outcome of what happens with RGG4's localization.

Hehe. I'll have to take photos of my RGG1 posters. Here's the photos from the old Ebay auction though. Who has the best RGG swag now?! :D :
wbxtw8.jpg
2copjde.jpg

Envy rising, RISING!

hirokazu

jetsetfluken said:
The opinions about the Western demo makes me laugh at times, and the negative cop-outs towards the cuts being a reason they aren't buying is even more funny. Face it, you don't have interest in it nor the patience to appreciate what the series has to offer. I wish there was a way to auto-detect if a person hasn't played Y1/Y2/Kenzan/RGG3, but looking at all the jumping to conclusions, it's obvious what their status is.
It's funny that you're criticising people for supposedly making assumptions about a game they never really cared about, but at the same time, you're making assumptions about people whom you know nothing about.

I can't say about the other people who aren't getting this over cut content, but I personally hate cut content whether it be due to censorship or publisher decisions or whatever else, enough to either not buy it or seek out the superior version.

I played the Japanese demo of RGG3 when it was released on PSN ages ago and I've waited rather patiently for the English release. With the cuts though, I'm just gonna import the Japanese version instead, which I also would've done if the game ended up not being released in English at all.

Do I care about me affecting the chances of Sega releasing Yakuza 4? Well if they're gonna cut things to save themselves money, then frankly, no. I'll spend my money on things I think deserve it, and most definitely not on things that don't.

faridmon

Portions? what is this about? Sega cutting corners even though they are bringing it subbed only?

WTF? and i thought Sega became good again for what they did for Alpha Protocol.

Miburou

I don't understand why Sega would cut those parts out, considering the game was always only going to be bought by the small group of gamers who actually care about that stuff, who consider subs a plus, and who have been following the series.

As for the cuts themselves, I don't even remember that Japanese history quiz (and I spent 150 hours with the game), but both the hostesses quests and the managing a hostess club quest were a lot of fun and added a lot to the game experience, so it really sucks that they're gone.

graywolf323

after watching the video feature on Qore and playing the demo some more I can't bring myself to pass on this game so I'm still buying it

just will probably import the Japanese version later as well (and Kenzan and 4 if need be)

love this series too much, one of my all time faves :D

kiryogi

Banned
The only RgG poster I have is a digital RgG3 one on Toro Station D: That RgG1 poster of the cover in Kamurocho is so awesome D:

androvsky

abuC said:
I never played the Yakuza games but liked the demo a lot, would it be worth it to hunt down the first two?

It's absolutely worth it to hunt down the second game, the first one might be worth having if no more Yakuza games get localized and you still want to play another one... although it'd be weird to play them in reverse order.

But at least get the second one. General consensus is that it has the best story of the series (with the possible exception of Kenzan) and the best localization overall.

abuC

androvsky said:
It's absolutely worth it to hunt down the second game, the first one might be worth having if no more Yakuza games get localized and you still want to play another one... although it'd be weird to play them in reverse order.

But at least get the second one. General consensus is that it has the best story of the series (with the possible exception of Kenzan) and the best localization overall.

Oh, I would play them in chronological order, I don't want to play part 3 if the first two games have stories that are important to it. If it's more or less just loosely linked stories than I could get by without the first games and just play the newest one.

slider

I pre-ordered a few games a few days ago but skipped on this cos I know very little about it. The demo, whilst "ok", didn't set my pulse racing. Was there a demo for this? I remember DLing and playing something...

Anyway, first post after this decides if I get it. Doesn't even have to quote me. I'll just be looking for a positive or negative tone.

:|

androvsky

slider said:
I pre-ordered a few games a few days ago but skipped on this cos I know very little about it. The demo, whilst "ok", didn't set my pulse racing. Was there a demo for this? I remember DLing and playing something...

Anyway, first post after this decides if I get it. Doesn't even have to quote me. I'll just be looking for a positive or negative tone.

:|

The series is pure awesome. Sometimes we just don't get as much of it as we'd like. :)

androvsky

Shikashi said:
Jesus Christ, some of you people...

I get the funny feeling he'll never notice the missing content. ;)

Done (pre-ordered) for a 12th March release date. I'm cautiously optimistic.

None of the demos, including the two Kenzan demos or the Japanese Yakuza 3 demo ever piqued my interest. Actually playing the second game is what finally got me hooked.

Jme

Anticitizen One said:
Is there a list of all the cut things from the game?

Confirmed on Sega Blog: Hostess Bars and Japanese History Trivia.

Rumored elsewhere: Theme song, Shogi, and Mahjong (possibly more I haven't heard about)

slider

androvsky said:
None of the demos, including the two Kenzan demos or the Japanese Yakuza 3 demo ever piqued my interest. Actually playing the second game is what finally got me hooked.

Ignoring the fact that I've a shit ton of games to catch up on I'm quite pleased I decided to get it.

I'll PM you if I'm disappointed... ;p

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Segata Sanshiro said:

Photo-0159.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

androvsky

slider said:
Ignoring the fact that I've a shit ton of games to catch up on I'm quite pleased I decided to get it.

I'll PM you if I'm disappointed... ;p

:lol I'll just blame Sega for cutting out the one bit (whatever it might be) that'd make you happy. :)

rvy

Banned
androvsky said:
I get the funny feeling he'll never notice the missing content. ;)
I've been playing these games since the first one came out and I don't miss the content, I doubt most newcomers will. Hell, I doubt most veterans will too after they start playing...

slider

Shikashi said:
I've been playing these games since the first one came out and I don't miss the content, I doubt most newcomers will. Hell, I doubt most veterans will too after they start playing...

FWIW my issue was the game itself rather than the unknown missing content!

androvsky

Shikashi said:

On one hand, I have to agree that there's so much in these games that it's hard to keep track sometimes. For example, there's a good chance Sega's cut the Hanafuda games (unless they're part of the story), but nobody's likely to notice. And I'm pretty sure nearly all the fans would've let Sega slide if they just cut the quiz game.

On the other hand, they happened to cut my favorite mini-game, and the one that gets the most promotion in Japan (possibly in excess of the regular game). And if my wife finds out the hostess training game allowed you to dress up the girls in maid outfits and cat ears, she's going to be mad too.

And on the gripping hand, I'm still upset at them for not even trying with the Sakura Wars games. NISA has probably spent far more on Sakura Wars than Sega has on Yakuza 3, and it's almost guaranteed not to sell as much.

rvy

Banned
slider said:
FWIW my issue was the game itself rather than the unknown missing content!
Yeah, I know. I was just making a point ; ).

androvsky said:
On one hand, I have to agree that there's so much in these games that it's hard to keep track sometimes. For example, there's a good chance Sega's cut the Hanafuda games (unless they're part of the story), but nobody's likely to notice. And I'm pretty sure nearly all the fans would've let Sega slide if they just cut the quiz game.

On the other hand, they happened to cut my favorite mini-game, and the one that gets the most promotion in Japan (possibly in excess of the regular game). And if my wife finds out the hostess training game allowed you to dress up the girls in maid outfits and cat ears, she's going to be mad too.

And on the gripping hand, I'm still upset at them for not even trying with the Sakura Wars games. NISA has probably spent far more on Sakura Wars than Sega has on Yakuza 3, and it's almost guaranteed not to sell as much.
Cutting content is always bad, but we have reached the point where I'm just happy that we're getting a release at all, half-assed or not.

okay, i will now try to forget about the budget cuts and start getting ecstatic about the release on the 12th! :p Hurry up clock, move faster!

how big is the game? I liked the demo, but sounds like that city + tokyo + that seaside place are all in the game. is there a lot of repitition eg in terms of stores looking the same, coz if there are 3 main areas in the game, and each one is as highly detailed as the demo appears it will take a long time to explore...

cleveridea said:
how big is the game? I liked the demo, but sounds like that city + tokyo + that seaside place are all in the game. is there a lot of repitition eg in terms of stores looking the same, coz if there are 3 main areas in the game, and each one is as highly detailed as the demo appears it will take a long time to explore...

Doing a medium amount of sidequests and until the credits roll you have propably spent about 25 hours or so.

There is a lot of running around in the streets because there are no cars, besides a taxi system. Stores dont look generally the same but they all are there for certain items. Then again now that we dont have the Hostess Clubs the luxury item stores might be a total waste of time and money.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
handofg0d said:
Confirmed on Sega Blog: Hostess Bars and Japanese History Trivia.

Rumored elsewhere: Theme song, Shogi, and Mahjong (possibly more I haven't heard about)

Don't care so much about the Hostess stuff, but I'm bummed that we lost the trivia bit. Will hold off on a buy until the shogi/mahjong stuff is verified to be included, as I really wanted to play these.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Oozinator said:
this game needs a GAF official thread

should be incomplete official thread.( with removed screens , information and reviews sections because gaffers might not read them)

genjiZERO

As a Japanese history buff that's pretty wack. The hostess thing would have been cool, but I guess it's not the end of the world? Couldn't care less about the trophies. Haven't had a chance to play the demo. We'll see. I've always wanted to get into the series, but have been held back by English dubs...

Zoc

Cutting portions out 100% sucks, but think what could have been.

If this game had been localized in the 80s or 90s, Kiryuu would have been renamed Joe Brown, his model would have been swapped out for a buzzcut blonde dude, and the game's setting would have been moved to San Francisco Chinatown.

Games have been butchered before and will be butchered again. You have to take a step back, look at what's on offer without preconceptions, and decide on the merits. You"ll probably end up having a good time with the game.

Zoc said:

If this game had been localized in the 80s or 90s, Kiryuu would have been renamed Joe Brown, his model would have been swapped out for a buzzcut blonde dude, and the game's setting would have been moved to San Francisco Chinatown.

True, true.

I just noticed from the Kotaku Top 5 Yakuza Movies -article that The Tattooed Hitman US movie-poster has the actor Bunta Sugawara renamed "Bud" Sugawara :D

kiryogi

Banned
So with the host girls gone it means the only person you can take out and karaoke with is Haruka?
Shikashi said:

Yeah I won't be. Since I got to experience it in RgG3 and will be experiencing even more of it in when I play RgG4 instead of this cut garbage.

androvsky

kiryogi said:
So with the host girls gone it means the only person you can take out and karaoke with is Haruka?

Yeah I won't be. Since I got to experience it in RgG3 and will be experiencing even more of it in when I play RgG4 instead of this cut garbage.

You can sing with the hostess girls, and no, we're not sure how that's supposed to work. In the demo, you just randomly get a call from one of them.

Zoc said:

Games have been butchered before and will be butchered again. You have to take a step back, look at what's on offer without preconceptions, and decide on the merits. You"ll probably end up having a good time with the game.
Or think about what could have been if literally any other modern-day company localized it. You'd actually get a full localization! (Though if NISA did it, it would fatally crash after the fat kid eats his curry)

I'm really excited for next week, even though I am bummed about the fact that stuff has been cut - but we're getting the game! I've bitched enough aboutt the game having such a small chance to come out over here...I have to be ready.

However, the cutting bothers me because if (godforbid) we somehow get Yakuza 4 over here...I bet all of those cool mini-games will be cut. All of them look so awesome!

Doing my part for the team in the UK

yakuza3.jpg

This month has killed my wallet.

Heavy Rain - Just bought
FF13 - Pre-ordered
Yakuza 3 - Pre-ordered
GoW3 - Pre-ordered

It was Yakuza 3 or Resonance of Fate, I'm getting FF13 even although the reports of linearity scare me quite a bit.

Vard

I'm in Chapter 10 in Yakuza 2. I should be able to finish it by next week but Bad Company 2 has caused a slight distraction in that plan... I have to wait for it to get shipped to me anyway though.

Bring on the official thread!

Lard

Banned
Zoc said:

But this *isn't* the 80s or 90s and that's the point.

There's no good reason to butcher games anymore.

Top Bottom