• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Beyond Good and Evil 2 footage

Ramenman said:
Just so you know, Michel Ancel refused to comment on any platforms.
And, everything Ancel's team has done in the past was only consoles. For example the PC version of King Kong wasn't made by them.

I don't know anything better than you, but since "pc version" is mentionned a lot in this thread I thought it would be worth stating.
Oh, I said it purely as a joke. In my opinion, there seriously isnt any reason it shouldnt look like that with all of the thunder under the hood of these consoles, especially if its running at 30fps.

Minsc

Gold Member
Ramenman said:
Just so you know, Michel Ancel refused to comment on any platforms.
And, everything Ancel's team has done in the past was only consoles. For example the PC version of King Kong wasn't made by them.

I don't know anything better than you, but since "pc version" is mentionned a lot in this thread I thought it would be worth stating.

There's a lot of sites hoping for a PC version. Who knows. I'm expecting it to be released down the road, especially with Ubisoft behind it, they have a pretty good track record for PC versions.

Feel the same way about this as I did with RE5, a little patience and it will be released at some point.

Trakdown said:
$9.99 on steam, if you're interested.

And $9.99 at GOG, where it's not tied to any accounts or requiring any sort of internet connection. You also get a soundtrack, artwork, and manual all from the site too, which is convenient :)

Trakdown

Minsc said:
And $9.99 at GOG, where it's not tied to any accounts or requiring any sort of internet connection. You also get a soundtrack, artwork, and manual all from the site too, which is convenient :)

Nice. Thanks for letting me know before I pulled the trigger on buying from Steam. :)

Got to play a considerable amount on the PS2, but since I don't currently have mine with me (stuck in AZ until further notice), it looks like I'll go this route.

filopilo

eso76 said:
in game assets, rendered with much more complex lighting model ( radiosity / photon mapping ?) better aa and filters and more post processing effects would be my guess.
obviously those animation are not what you can expect in game either. newer animation techniques are doing a decent to good job blending movements together, but you can't expect those results this gen, or maybe ever, unless they make the game totally unresponsive and have you input commands seconds before they're displayed onscreen.

Exactly.

Just saw the video, for the people who say this can't possibly be realtime (or even a realtime cutscene), have you played any of Ubi's games this gen?

filopilo

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Just saw the video, for the people who say this can't possibly be realtime (or even a realtime cutscene), have you played any of Ubi's games this gen?

yes ,all (i don't pay for Ubi games, they are given to me...) . Plus i'm a 15 years video game veteran :)...

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
This looks very good. I really like the Free Running aspect.

Most impressive thing of that trailer are the seamless animation transitions, as well as the dynamic and cinematic camera movement.

This is all technically doable; but if they've managed to make this an actual (good) playable sequence than that will be the most impressive thing.

As far as the original BGE is concerned, I don't think the water environment is what makes BGE BGE.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
The way some of you people gleefully nitpick a leaked target animation long before any annoucement or context to the game reminds me of cable news pundits putting their two cents into the bank of blabbering bullshit.

This is why we can't have nice things.

EMBee99 said:
The way some of you people gleefully nitpick a leaked target animation long before any annoucement or context to the game reminds me of cable news pundits putting their two cents into the bank of blabbering bullshit.

This is why we can't have nice things.

The great part is someone posted a video of a nearly identically scripted chase sequence in the original game, and people don't think this would be possible via cutscene, QTE, or simply with a 'chase cam' in this generation of consoles. If it wasn't using in-game assets, why do the shadows have dithering?

jett

D-Member
beat said:
POP style!

The animation in the new POP is crap compared to this cg render. People are gonna cry bitter tears when the actual game is revealed, which AFAIK may not be for a long time.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
s. If it wasn't using in-game assets, why do the shadows have dithering?

I don't think the video is high enough quality to show dithered shadows, if you mean pixelation, that looks like it's from the extremely blocky video compression, which looks the worst in the high contrast areas such as the rooftop shadow. (I've got no problem believing it's game quality assets.)

jett said:
The animation in the new POP is crap compared to this cg render. People are gonna cry bitter tears when the actual game is revealed, which AFAIK may not be for a long time.

You should look at it more closely instead of dealing in the absolute...

jett

D-Member
Revelations said:
You should look at it more closely instead of dealing in the absolute...

I've looked at it closely enough. Anyone who thinks that's in-game animation just doesn't know dick.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
jett said:
I've looked at it closely enough. Anyone who thinks that's in-game animation just doesn't know dick.

I think it is just one of those cases of things looking better in small videos. It could not possibly be gameplay imo, since the camera is simply unfriendly. At best, i think is is an ingame cutscene.

Just don't get your hopes up people. BG&E did not exactly do that well to warrant that high a production value.

Ramenman

Graphics Horse said:
Yup, looks like the same design. What happened to the hover cars?

Looks like there's none in this region/planet because they didn't need them since the city isn't composed of 90% water.

The helicopters look like typical Mammago design though.

Mr.Green

Oh. My. God.

This is THE game I'm looking forward to the most.

You know you care.

Oh, and this is definitely not in-game. Maybe it's in engine but my money is on CG.

How is Beyond Good & Evil 1 in terms of production values and presentation? All Ubisoft game I have purchased had tons of glitches, awful AI, screen tearing, not to mention Assassin's Creed which would free almost every 30 minutes!

Wiggum2007

What's the side of the helicopter say that Jade jumps on at the end? Can't make out the first word, second is 'Fruit'.

Barrett2

You guys are smoking crack if you think thats in-game.

Looks very nice, but im' not sure I want Assassin's Creed gameplay. ehh...

jpd44

Neo Member
Watch the way she awkwardly dodges the cow in the street (0:15). That's a canned animation. She dodges the table toward the middle of the video (0:26) in exactly the same way. That smacks of gameplay. If it was prerendered, they wouldn't have to use a canned dodge animation multiple times.

jett

D-Member
ScissorHands said:
How is Beyond Good & Evil 1 in terms of production values and presentation? All Ubisoft game I have purchased had tons of glitches, awful AI, screen tearing, not to mention Assassin's Creed which would free almost every 30 minutes!

PC port is great...except it doesn't support controllers and the the keyb/m interface is unfriendly... :p

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Probably just proof of concept footage... but I really like what I see.

This might be my most anticipated game right now.

jett

D-Member
jpd44 said:
Watch the way she awkwardly dodges the cow in the street (0:15). That's a canned animation. She dodges the table toward the middle of the video (0:26) in exactly the same way. That smacks of gameplay. If it was prerendered, they wouldn't have to use a canned dodge animation multiple times.

It's a cheap promotional render trying to imitate gameplay. The jumping-against-the-wall animation is also used twice. It means nothing.

gamingeek

In the IGN Rabbids interview they say that 90 members of the BGE team have been working on Rabbids go home for the past 2 and a half years (and are still working on it). So who has got the time to make a game that looks like this? Last I heard it was still in pre-production?

Median

jett said:
PC port is great...except it doesn't support controllers and the the keyb/m interface is unfriendly... :p

Yeah, the interface is a direct port from the console version. You get used to it, but it's a bit awkward. Amazing game, nonetheless.

Twig

Banned
WHAT THE WHAT.

Dunno. I can't make myself believe, no matter how much I want to, that they're this far in development already. And it's so wildly different from what I know as BG&E.

But it looks so good. As long as they keep the investigative journalism theme. Unfortunately, I don't see a camera on her. ):

CiSTM

Banned
Candy for the eyes. But it looks too action oriented imo... Then again it is too early to say anything about the focus of the game. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be full-fledged action game.

Ramenman

gamingeek said:
In the IGN Rabbids interview they say that 90 members of the BGE team have been working on Rabbids go home for the past 2 and a half years (and are still working on it). So who has got the time to make a game that looks like this? Last I heard it was still in pre-production?

And it still is. As of last month they didn't have the "tools they needed" to begin actual production.
However they already had the Jade, Pey'j, car and "desert" assets more than a year ago (the first teaser was in-engine) so they clearly have some graphix guyz remaining to work with.

Which is precisely why I think it's "proof of concept", certainly done in-engine, but not actually played by anyone human.

watkinzez

gamingeek said:

Ubisoft Montpellier is 200 employees strong.

jpd44 said:

Because it would have been a single-take, 1 minute motion capture session of an actress running around a giant sound stage, right?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Reading that interview with Ancel, it makes me think that's the camera system they're going for when it comes to chase sequences in BG&E2.

link?

Only way this is real is if it's for Xbox 720/PS4 or maybe it's the PC version on the most powerful computer in the world.

I'm gonna go ahead and say this is CG.

I mean all that shit running at 60FPS with what looks like insane anti-aliasing and super-sampling? Really?

I love how people who think these target render videos are real use it to tell people how amazing it looks and then when the real game comes out and looks nothing like it and someone calls them out on it they respond by saying they are nitpicking or something.

1114096536.jpg

jett said:
indeed. i don't care if this is some video that's travelled backwards in time from 4 years in the future, there's no way it's gameplay.

there is no way that you could control a character to do what she is doing with a camera like that. she's going into the beginning of the motion to jump, wall run, whatever before the obstacle she is trying to jump over/through/whatever has even come on screen.

you could potentially make a character move like that, but you would have to commit to each move well in advance, which would require either a scary amount of level memorization or a first person camera (which would negate the need for animating the jumps so realistically).

Top Bottom