• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Beyond Good and Evil 2 footage

Nikorasu

HurricaneJesus said:
I hope everyone who said 'could only be teh PC version' FUCKING DIES!

The only system announcement said PS3/360.

Not only that, but only a tricked out PC would run it at the max settings, while the majority will run it at lower quality than the console versions(well, 360 anyway).

The PC elite fanboys on this site make me fucking sick. I saw some guy get banned for hoping a PC game came to the 360(or maybe XBLA).

The annoying PC shit needs to fucking stop. FUCK OFF!

The trailer looks amazing and I hope it really is BG&E2 related.

This post is awesome. I read it three times already, never gets old. AAA.

Ranger X

I never seen this myself...

Looks like a concept movie though. Ubisoft tends to do this. Prince of Persia last year ended up super near the concept movie I had seen the year before. It's quite promising or BG&E if ever this footage is what I think it is!

MacBosse

Jason's Ultimatum said:
If the final product's animations are well blended seamless without being interrupted, then I'll eat Megan Fox's
cherry.

I'll eat that regardless of BG&E.

eso76

in game assets, rendered with much more complex lighting model ( radiosity / photon mapping ?) better aa and filters and more post processing effects would be my guess.
obviously those animation are not what you can expect in game either. newer animation techniques are doing a decent to good job blending movements together, but you can't expect those results this gen, or maybe ever, unless they make the game totally unresponsive and have you input commands seconds before they're displayed onscreen.

Gowans

I just caught this this morning.

I was wowed but that can't be real gota be CG or a target video, the camera alone would be the best third person action camera ever in history.

Ramenman

What a nice thing to wake up to.

The overall quality of the vid proves that it could only be done by professionals. The only thing that feels "not BG&E" about this is the cars we see at some point. They have wheels like normal cars. Then again, there was no road in Hyllis, so obviously everyone had to float/hover/fly.

What's more striking is, if we look at the last infos we've had on the game from Ancel himself, everything fits : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357298

* A lot of returning characters, they really want to keep the spirit of the first game and the same atmosphere/topics (medias, army, etc). However, the general presentation will differ (nothing more than what we saw in the teaser).
He explains the reason for that is, the first BGE was supposed to be much more cinematographic to begin with. He remembers when they were making a document for Sony about BGE1 to get a developpement kit, they had to say why their game was original and different from the others, and the first words of the document were things like "immersive" or "finally we get to feel like in a movie while playing a game", and then then when they received the kit, playing around with the hardware they realized Emotion Engine wasn't as technically awesome as it was promised or at least not awesome enough for what they had prepared, so they had to tone down their vision of the game to make it possible on the 128bits.

Now with the next gen consoles they have the necessary horsepower to do what they originally wanted to do.
He says that even though to the public it may seem like a different game, it's really what they wanted to do at first, and it totally keeps the spirit of the first game.
The universe will be a lot more dense for example

I immediatly thought it was CGI, because of the camera. I was like "no way a camera would move like that in a game of course" (Edit : Gowans says it better than me :D). But Mister Thread also has something to say about that : Further in the interview Ancel says that they need new tools, and that they can't (and wont) begin the actual production of the game as long as they don't get them right, and he does mention "a new camera system" as an example.

[...]They know what they want, and the actual developpement of the game won't begin as long as they're aren't satisfied with the tools they have. (note : So apparently Ubi as an editor isn't rushing anything, which is always nice to know.) It takes a lot of planning, a lot of thinking, a lot of engineering, a lot of testing so it takes a lot of time.
He compares it to the creation of a new camera system, or Nintendo's new interfaces. Sometimes you have a promising prototype, but it doesn't really work well, so you don't know if it will be able to do what you want, and if it doesn't you'll have to create something else, so you can't tell people "okay it's coming !" because you're not even sure you're on the good track. Basically, they don't know when they will be done with the technical stuff, so they don't know when they'll begin the actual production, let alone when it will be finished.

Let's say they pull off the camera thing. I still say it's CGI, because the game is still in pre-production, and there's no way they've done this far into graphics at this stage.
And some animations seem to pre-calculated, I'm thinking of the way she bumps into walls when running into this house of some sort.
It's funny because some other animations look pretty game-ish.

Anyway even if it's only a CGI target render I'm still very happy, because looking back to BG&E's rooftop chase, I'm sure they can pull of something as dynamic as that in the real game, maybe not as fluid though (the game is supposed to be open-world).

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
This is turning nicely into Killzone 2 E3 '05 trailer all again. Have screencaps were people point out 'flaws' and such been spotted yet?

Rei_Toei said:
This is turning nicely into Killzone 2 E3 '05 trailer all again. Have screencaps were people point out 'flaws' and such been spotted yet?
Dont worry, its comin...we here at GAF think screens and resolution are all that matter.

Ramenman

Maybe I should quote that too :
* Also :
Interviewer : "Is it a direct sequel or more like 10 years after or something" ?
Ancel : "Well that's a nice thing to discover when you'll play it"
Ancel : [laughs]

Though he does say it is a continuation of the first one's story, with lots of references to its key events.

So maybe this isn't taking place on Hyllis.

Hell, maybe this isn't even Jade. See how since the beginning they've been reluctant to show us her face ?
Maybe it's a prequel, and this is Jade's mother. After all, Jade's parents knew Pey'j, and we know they gave him their baby because they had "trouble with authorities", and then Pey'j took baby Jade to Hyllis.
Plus the repeted mention in the first game of the "campaign of Thaïr" (whatever that is) by Jade's camera without even explaining what the hell this is shows the universe/characters already had a significant backstory when it was released.

I know, the quote above says "continuation".Well, translations always suck anyway :D

MNC

When people say realtime, do they mean rendered in-game engine, or actually played in game engine? Because it could very much be in-game engine... sans the whole FUCKING AWESOME 60fps :p

Also, I hope it's Jade you get to play, and not [see spoiler tag above somewhere]

jarosh said:
how could anyone possibly mistake this for real time footage? are you guys dense?

That's a polite way of putting it.

Is this confirmed to be BG&E related yet? It seems to have an indian theme, even down to the flag colours on the helicopters at the end.

Ramenman

MNC said:
When people say realtime, do they mean rendered in-game engine, or actually played in game engine? Because it could very much be in-game engine... sans the whole FUCKING AWESOME 60fps :p

Also, I hope it's Jade you get to play, and not [see spoiler tag above somewhere]

Don't worry, I self-invalidated my point :D

Well, except for the "other planet" stuff, but that's pretty much a given with the two vids we've seen, clearly this isn't Hyllis.

DGaio

I don't think it's the animations that give it away. Yes an animation can look this good in game, the problem is, in this video the game looks to be running at 120 fps or similar, making it look super smooth, which gives it away that, although it could be running from in game, it won't be looking this smooth when its actually released. Nothing wrong with that, it just tries to show the target game play their aiming for, but don't elude yourself thinking the game we'll be this smooth.

DGaio said:
I don't think it's the animations that give it away. Yes an animation can look this good in game, the problem is, in this video the game looks to be running at 120 fps or similar, making it look super smooth, which gives it away that, although it could be running from in game, it won't be looking this smooth when its actually released. Nothing wrong with that, it just tries to show the target game play their aiming for, but don't elude yourself thinking the game we'll be this smooth.
Its the pc version.

Haunted

Michel_Ancel.jpg

Believe.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Haunted said:

I'm believing so hard.

Also do people not realize this could be a different part of Hillys or, holy shit get this, a different planet all together? Holy shit Jade isnt sneaking and taking photos, this gaem wil suks!!!

Also were are the claiming its in game? Looks like a proof of concept trailer to me.

Dabanton

Graphics Horse said:
That's a polite way of putting it.

Is this confirmed to be BG&E related yet? It seems to have an indian theme, even down to the flag colours on the helicopters at the end.

Yeah it is related, Jade has the same clothes on in that teaser video from last year.

With her and Pey'j, in the desert.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Ramenman said:
So maybe this isn't taking place on Hyllis.

Hell, maybe this isn't even Jade. See how since the beginning they've been reluctant to show us her face ?
Maybe it's a prequel, and this is Jade's mother. After all, Jade's parents knew Pey'j, and we know they gave him their baby because they had "trouble with authorities", and then Pey'j took baby Jade to Hyllis.
Plus the repeted mention in the first game of the "campaign of Thaïr" (whatever that is) by Jade's camera without even explaining what the hell this is shows the universe/characters already had a significant backstory when it was released.

I know, the quote above says "continuation".Well, translations always suck anyway :D

I like your theory, sounds plausible enough. The scar on Pey'j face is the only thing that may hint its not a prequel as he didn't have one in the first game.

A sequel doesn't explain how Pey'j is OK after we see he has been infected by the DomZ at the end credits if BG&E.

eXistor

HK-47 said:
Also do people not realize this could be a different part of Hillys or, holy shit get this, a different planet all together? Holy shit Jade isnt sneaking and taking photos, this gaem wil suks!!!

Also were are the claiming its in game? Looks like a proof of concept trailer to me.

When you're making a sequel (prequel whatever) in a much-beloved game, you better make sure it looks like the game you love, not something else entirely. I still have 100% faith that this game will be spectacular, but based on this particular (obviously not ingame) footage it really doesn't look like BG&E. The vibe is totally different. Again, not knocking it, I just hope they remember what made the first one so great.

Nikorasu

DGaio said:

Poor console gamers don't even know what 60 fps looks like. :(
If it is real time it is obviously being run on a PC. Even if it was running at 120 fps you couldn't tell because the video is only encoded at 60 fps and most likely your screen can only update 60 times a second.

GCX

My quess it's some sort of target render trailer like that leaked Red Steel 2 trailer. It's propably done with the in-game engine but it's definitely not real gameplay.

Nikorasu

eXistor said:
When you're making a sequel (prequel whatever) in a much-beloved game, you better make sure it looks like the game you love, not something else entirely. I still have 100% faith that this game will be spectacular, but based on this particular (obviously not ingame) footage it really doesn't look like BG&E. The vibe is totally different. Again, not knocking it, I just hope they remember what made the first one so great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy7DrxuW7rA&fmt=18

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
AniHawk said:
Well it doesn't. It might be a different planet altogether (I didn't see one furry).

Likely. I didnt expect BG&E2 to take place on Hillys tbh. And I expect games like AC and ME to influence its design. It'll probably still have a better stealth mechanic than AC though I kinda worry about the whole camera/reporter angle being left by the wayside.

AniHawk

Jade being an investigative photojournalist is one of the best parts of the first game. The way it plays into the story is pretty amazing when you get down to it (I typed up several paragraphs on the matter a month ago, but it was too long, I so I stuck with bashing Okami's low points instead).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
If I was thinking about games Ancel is looking at for inspiration, I'd think AC and ME would be tops, followed by GTA IV.

AniHawk

HK-47 said:
If I was thinking about games Ancel is looking at for inspiration, I'd think AC and ME would be tops, followed by GTA IV.

Ancel looking for inspiration in GTA IV? That's backwards.

Ramenman

abstract alien said:
Its the pc version.

Just so you know, Michel Ancel refused to comment on any platforms.
And, everything Ancel's team has done in the past was only consoles. For example the PC version of King Kong wasn't made by them.

I don't know anything better than you, but since "pc version" is mentionned a lot in this thread I thought it would be worth stating.

It'll probably still have a better stealth mechanic than AC though I kinda worry about the whole camera/reporter angle being left by the wayside.

BG&E without investigations ? What the hell would this even be :/
That's the one thing they can't drop.

Not answering you in particular, but what I see in this trailer is an investigation gone bad that ends up in a chase, like the rooftop one in the first game.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
AniHawk said:
Ancel looking for inspiration in GTA IV? That's backwards.

Since I'm guessing it takes place in large areas, GTA IV would be the game to look at for city creation.

Same with AC.

Hillys felt really alive so I cant wait to see what he does with a larger area and more people.

goldenpp72

Looks nothing like BG&E but still looks cool, the original was a very artsy looking game, this looks like an impressive realistic game with no color.

Dever

Banned
goldenpp72 said:
Looks nothing like BG&E but still looks cool, the original was a very artsy looking game, this looks like an impressive realistic game with no color.

Goddamn. Looked pretty colorful to me, what do you people want?

Top Bottom