• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Beyond Good and Evil 2 footage

Kandinsky said:
This does not look like BG&E at all :/
The initial trailer doesn't look like it either. Take Peyj away and we would only be guessing as to what it would be - like we're doing right now.

Personally, I like the look.

WOW. I REALLY hope the animation is that good looking, plus the motion blur added to it. If this is what the gameplay will be like, then this would be my most anticipated title.

EDIT-Is it me, or did I get a Bourne Ultimatum vibe? The rooftop Tangiers scene. :lol

Snaku

Banned
For people calling foul on the art direction, this is what Ancel intended the first game to look like, but due to hardware limitations had to use go with a more stylized approach.

While I would like it too look a bit more like the first game art wise, I'm far too excited and grateful that the game even exists to bitch about the art direction.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The more I watch this, the more realtime it looks.

When she almost runs into the cow and when she first enters the home after climbing up the balconies: exact same animation. When she turns into the bathroom and places her hands against the wall and twice when she presses her hands against the wall while she's running up the stairs, very similar animations.

I wouldn't at all be surprised if the camera movement is just for the sake of this being a trailer, but the individual components look very doable in realtime. Absolutely looks like the successor to the chase scenes (of which there were several) found in the original.

And to those bitching about the setting, look at that final scene, with the mountain in the distance. There is a ton of potential for an asian-influenced out-of-city natural scenario here that would mesh perfectly with the overall aesthetic of the series. Do you guys want a remake or a sequel? It's not going to be identical, but what we see here definitely fits.

Feep

Banned
1. This is rad.

2. This game does what I've been wanting games to do for SO LONG: have a character animation for pressing their hands and arms up against a wall to help stop and redirect their momentum from running. Humans can't do short stops and changes of direction instantaneously, and I LOVE that this game takes that into account.

Wow, that looks awfully disappointing.

It essentially looks like an Assassins Creed clone with guns and a girl. So much of the first game's charm was from it's colourful graphics and very unique looks to it, but this trailer seems to have simply dropped all of that.

Gunplay? That's not really something I have much of an interest in for Beyond Good & Evil. I mean in the first game you had plasma type shots and such in the hovercraft and whatnot, but nothing like what's being shown in that trailer.

This trailer seems to show off just how unique the first game was, and if this is indeed the direction for the sequel then how much of it's character it's lost. Mind you this is all based on a trailer, but it's a rather significant looking one.

Really disappointing if this comes off as a plain jane action game with BG&E characters thrown in.

FourSerioux said:
Wow, that looks awfully disappointing.

It essentially looks like an Assassins Creed clone with guns and a girl. So much of the first game's charm was from it's colourful graphics and very unique looks to it, but this trailer seems to have simply dropped all of that.

Gunplay? That's not really something I have much of an interest in for Beyond Good & Evil. I mean in the first game you had plasma type shots and such in the hovercraft and whatnot, but nothing like what's being shown in that trailer.

This trailer seems to show off just how unique the first game was, and if this is indeed the direction for the sequel then how much of it's character it's lost. Mind you this is all based on a trailer, but it's a rather significant looking one.

Really disappointing if this comes off as a plain jane action game with BG&E characters thrown in.

You can't really judge how the game is going to turn out from a 1 minute trailer. I mean, for all we know this could be a tech demo, a small tutorial level, or even a very small portion of the game. Heck, it may be a fanfick even considering the level of the indie scene nowadays. We don't even know what the gameplay will be like above all.

With that said, I personally don't see why this couldn't be realtime in response to the critics. It looks to be in line with the way graphics have been evolving lately. I could see these graphics done if you combined the best elements of all the best graphical games currently out into one big hodgepodge. (Console side)

dralla

the first game bombed. if you think they're going to stick to the same formula I expect a lot of dissapointment from fans of the first game.

beat

Turfster said:
Uh, that can be *very* easily faked for not too much of a performance hit, and Ubisoft have done it before. Have been doing it pretty much since the PoP trilogy as a matter of fact.

Pretty sure this is rendered ingame, agree with the scripted sequence and camera tho.
The draw distance of the new POP is pretty insane, come to think of it. (But OTOH, it's not nearly as dense a place as this video.)

Snaku said:
For people calling foul on the art direction, this is what Ancel intended the first game to look like, but due to hardware limitations had to use go with a more stylized approach.
I actually don't remember seeing any concept art for the first one that looked kinda dirtier and grittier... (or really any concept art...)

OuterWorldVoice said:
Parkour is to gameplay as lens flare is to graphics.
You're crazy. Think of parkour as next-gen platforming. Just better/more animations around the same core gameplay.

Snaku

Banned
beat said:
I actually don't remember seeing any concept art for the first one that looked kinda dirtier and grittier... (or really any concept art...)

There's some concept art on the net. I think there was a thread in the BG&E board on Ubi's forum.

As for what Ancel intended for the first game, he clarified it in an interview recently.

Snaku

Banned
AceBandage said:
They have to finish Rabbids Go Home first.
:p

Thanks for reminding me.

2wltr8p.gif
2wltr8p.gif
2wltr8p.gif

Kydd BlaZe

Animations are WAY too fluid...this can't be real-time. Not only that, but the way the camera is moving along with the player seems a bit too cinematic. This looks too good to be true...

AniHawk

That looks fucking incredible. I don't doubt Ancel could pull that off in real-time gameplay, because it's Michel Ancel. You people need to have some faith.

One thing I hope for is that we get some colors. Not digging the setting so far.

Prine

Banned
That is quite possibly the greatest piece of gaming i have ever witnessed.

As it stands, my dream game is this right now. Floored, literally.

And more reason why high powered machines should always be the focus of talented developers.

AniHawk

Prine said:
And more reason why high powered machines should always be the focus of talented developers.

Actually, it's the reason why developers should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want to complete their vision.

And to be honest, the lack of power the PS2 provided (compared to what Ancel wanted) gave BGE a lot of its charm. As a diehard fan, I can't lie. I'm disappointed they didn't continue in that style (with everything beefed up).

Speevy said:
My memory of Beyond Good and Evil may be fading, but don't you sneak around taking pictures, avoiding bad guys, occasionally getting into a staff fight while upgrading gadgets and riding around on vehicles?

That looked like Assassin's Creed.

Don't you remember the awesome cinematic chase sequences? That slo-mo roll still gives me goosebumps. This looks very much like those sequences. It definitely fits in with my memory of BG&E.

Heck, I even love the more realistic environment. No way this is real-time though.

Kydd BlaZe said:
Animations are WAY too fluid...this can't be real-time. Not only that, but the way the camera is moving along with the player seems a bit too cinematic. This looks too good to be true...
Kydd BlaZe said:
Kydd BlaZe said:
Kydd BlaZe said:
Kydd BlaZe said:

Hey, you guys can stop saying this shit already.

billy.sea said:
So amazing, but what amazes me more is Ubisoft willing to invest so much on this game despite how the first game sold.

He is such an amazing developer. Gotta keep him happy. I wish he would make another Rayman tho. Rayman 2 was sooo good. Magical, even.

StuBurns

Banned
AniHawk said:
I think Ancel's got quite a lot of pull.
Indeed, didn't he pretty much say they green-lit the sequel or he goes elsewhere? I seem to remember that.

By this video it seems they've pushed the game in a more commercial direction, which doesn't surprise me. I think he just wanted to get more of his story out there.

AniHawk

stuburns said:
Indeed, didn't he pretty much say they green-lit the sequel or he goes elsewhere? I seem to remember that.

By this video it seems they've pushed the game in a more commercial direction, which doesn't surprise me. I think he just wanted to get more of his story out there.
While I am disappointed it doesn't have the colorful city and beautiful overworld the first game had (it reminds me more of RE5 than Assassin's Creed or Mirror's Edge), I don't think there was much they could do with the setting of the first game anymore, considering everything's been saved and the shadow government is gone.

Ancel has always put gorgeous-looking natural environments in his games. It's partly why I'm drawn to them. Given his statements that he wanted to make this a much bigger game than BGE, I don't think I should worry that much. This ugly looking city is probably a small part of the overall experience.

Snaku

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
I just sort of want the game to keep some of this atmosphere.

I think people need to realize that this probably is not Hillys we're seeing in this video, but a different planet altogether. I hope this game spans a number of planets, including a return to Hillys. I'd love to see some of its vistas rendered on current gen hardware.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Alright guys, let's revisit the thread we had two weeks ago.

Processing Power Comparison said:
To put this into perspective a bit in terms of computing power:

PlayStation 2 Emotion Engine: 0.0062 Teraflops
PS3 CPU + GPU Combined: 0.46 Teraflops
8800GT: 0.504 Teraflops
HD 5870 X2: 4.6 Teraflops
Could this be a CG trailer? Absolutely.

Can cutting edge PCs put out this level graphics? Absolutely.

AniHawk said:
While I am disappointed it doesn't have the colorful city and beautiful overworld the first game had (it reminds me more of RE5 than Assassin's Creed or Mirror's Edge), I don't think there was much they could do with the setting of the first game anymore, considering everything's been saved and the shadow government is gone.

Ancel has always put gorgeous-looking natural environments in his games. It's partly why I'm drawn to them. Given his statements that he wanted to make this a much bigger game than BGE, I don't think I should worry that much. This ugly looking city is probably a small part of the overall experience.

And, the great mountains in the background suggest as much.

Snaku said:
I think people need to realize that this probably is not Hillys we're seeing in this video, but a different planet altogether. I hope this game spans a number of planets, including a return to Hillys. I'd love to see some of its vistas rendered on current gen hardware.

Well, it's not really just a matter of the environment, but also the mood and atmosphere. BG&E could be quite serene, and humorous, and I guess I hope that's not been completely shoved aside in order to make it more, er, appealing.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
In this thread all the posers who claim to have played BG&E make themselves look stupid as hell.

Snaku

Banned
AltogetherAndrews said:
Well, it's not really just a matter of the environment, but also the mood and atmosphere. BG&E could be quite serene, and humorous, and I guess I hope that's not been completely shoved aside in order to make it more, er, appealing.

Ancel is in complete control. I highly doubt this video indicates any kind of Ubi intervention to make the game more profitable. I'm sure there'll be many serene environments, and peaceful gameplay in the game.

Now how Ubi will market the game is a totally different story. I'm sure we'll see ads that closely resemble this video...if they advertise the game at all. >:/

Yeah, I'm still super pissed that they didn't give the original any advertising whatsoever, and blew their load all over PoP Sands of Time.

Top Bottom