• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Beyond Good and Evil 2 footage

Revelations said:
Or hypothetically the person playing could know what to do when to do it. Played it more than enough times to know how to navigate in the world and where to perform the manuevers?

Not likely, though. Stuff like this is fun to watch, but I can imagine it being very frustrating (disorienting, even) to actually try and play.

StuBurns

Banned
The game clearly won't play exactly like that. It's literally impossible.

I think it's a target render, an idea of what the game should be.

haowan

If it plays like this I'll go and blow Ubisoft up with a cannon. Super Assassins Creed / Prince of Persia Next is not what I am expecting from this sequel. Keep that shit out of my BG&E you fucks.

Vinci

Danish
camineet said:
There's no way the 360/PS3 can pull that off in real-time.

The actual game / in-game gameplay won't and can't look that good.

It's either a target render or a PC version.

I don't care what's running it - I don't think a person could control what she's doing in that because of the camera angles and having to know where you're going. There were no indications giving instructions, nothing to tell you to climb in a specific spot or where to turn.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
bloodforge said:
The camera movements alone make me think this is a target render or in engine render.

yeah, i think its scripted for sure. if you pause it at any point, everything looks doable with the current gen. its the animation and camera movement that are tricking people into thinking it has to be cg

though i admit, the lighting is insane, but it was in the PIG teaser as well (confirmed real time)

bloodforge said:
The camera movements alone make me think this is a target render or in engine render.
Bingo. Very likely the game up and running on the engine as a target render. Not hard to believe.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Revelations said:
The graphics are capable on 360PS3, the high fluid animations are not. Thats what make the video look great. The animations are higher than normal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y1_lQ-go2o

that game had great animations and it was on PS2. I don't think fluid animation depends on the console's graphical prowess. Though, I could be wrong...

BiasedGamer said:
This > Rihanna/Cassie leaks

If Rihanna/Cassie is the top of the barrel of musical leaks, you need some new tunes brother. Not to be an ass, but c'mon......

Sega1991 said:
Jade's movements seem kind of stiff.

1zpifyx.gif

Snaku

Banned
Good God, it's beautiful. The next gen evolution of the rooftop chase! :D Even if it's only a concept video, it's glorious!!

JADE!!!!

JayDub said:
Is transitional animation like that even possible? If so, eat your heart out Uncharted.

Even if it's possible, do we want it to be possible?

Animations in games just aren't there for looks. Animations are how players subconsciously identify what state their character is in. There has to be consistency in these states so that players learn how to play the game - so the wires in their brain connect, "If I push this button" with "my character on screen enters this state". If I push a button, Mario jumps, and he jumps the same way every time. If I push this button, Jade does a dodge-roll, and she does the dodge-roll the same way every time. When you know how something acts, you can plan around how to use that action in a sequence.

It's difficult to break down this supposed BG&E2 video in to a list of "states" like that. You kind of can, but there are elements in it that defy those definitions, and that's what makes it feel like a QTE.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
If that was real, that's probably the best graphics I've ever seen in a game. There aren't that many games that scream "Next-Gen" but this has definitely done it for me. I'm getting the urge to go D/L the original off of Steam.

Edit - Well it was definitely scripted. The only question is whether it was real-time or pre-rendered.

edgefusion

I really hope this is fake, this looks nothing like BG&E except that is has Jade in it. What's with the photo-realism? BG&E was all stylised graphics, stealthy gameplay and photographing stuff. Not some Assassin's Creed/Prince of Persia wank.

Please be fake, please be fake, please be fake.

edgefusion said:
I really hope this is fake, this looks nothing like BG&E except that is has Jade in it. What's with the photo-realism? BG&E was all stylised graphics, stealthy gameplay and photographing stuff. Not some Assassin's Creed/Prince of Persia wank.

Yeah, there's definitely a vastly different art style going on. But have you already forgotten about the chase sequences in the original game?

Zapages

xbhaskarx said:
What the fuck... can you at least keep your anti-India sentiments out of the Gaming side, please?

Confused??? I am not going bash India here... Jeez. I like the look man...

jett

D-Member
wow at the people thinking that's in-game. at best it's a render using in-game assets.

I think it's retardec to overanalyze this CG video. If you analyze the CG intro of Assassins Creed(and god knows GAF did the first time it was shown) certain elements seem to make it look like it's in-engine. Means nothing.

Red

edgefusion said:

I thought it matched the first game's style pretty closely. Less cartoony, but still stylized, just like the first official trailer.

edgefusion

Valkyr Junkie said:
Yeah, there's definitely a vastly different art style going on. But have you already forgotten about the chase sequences in the original game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy7D...AEA844CE4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4

Doesn't look much like what we just saw in that trailer, other than that they are both chase sequences.

Crunched said:
I thought it matched the first game's style pretty closely.

The games are totally different looking. Check out the video above because you must've forgotten what PS2 BG&E looks like.

Cartman86

Banned
Looks like an idea for what a cutscene might be like. Instead of QTE button presses they make it more interactive, and instead of full on control like Assassins Creed they use a dynamic camera that makes it look more cinematic. I love when games try something different.

MMaRsu

Banned
Buckethead said:
If Rihanna/Cassie is the top of the barrel of musical leaks, you need some new tunes brother. Not to be an ass, but c'mon......

1zpifyx.gif

Haha he's not talking about musical leaks ;)

Check OT brother :D

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Crunched said:
I thought it matched the first game's style pretty closely. Less cartoony, but still stylized, just like the first official trailer.

yeah, it really resembles the teaser/announcement trailer in style. more realistic, but still stylized. and with pigs

Red

edgefusion said:
The games are totally different looking. Check out the video above because you must've forgotten what PS2 BG&E looks like.
Never played it on PS2. PC version for me. Just finished it a few weeks ago.

jett

D-Member
Cartman86 said:
Looks like an idea for what a cutscene might be like. Instead of QTE button presses they make it more interactive, and instead of full on control like Assassins Creed they use a dynamic camera that makes it look more cinematic. I love when games try something different.

You people are bordering on the insane.

edgefusion said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy7D...AEA844CE4&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=4

Doesn't look much like what we just saw in that trailer, other than that they are both chase sequences.

Yeah, they're both chase sequences. One is how you'd expect a chase sequence to be done on the PS2, and one is how you'd expect a chase sequence to be done on "next-gen platforms."

And Ancel would easily be able to pass of the different art styles by just stating they both exist as functions of the hardware capabilities of the platforms they are on. It's just like Naughty Dog going from anthropomorphic cartoon Crash Bandicoot, to semi-humanoid Jak, to photo-realistic Drake.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just replayed the first one recently. Even though I know this isn't actual footage, it definitely is enough to get me excited for 2 again. I keep forgetting it was even announced. This is an awesome video, whatever it actually is.

edgefusion

Valkyr Junkie said:
Yeah, they're both chase sequences. One is how you'd expect a chase sequence to be done on the PS2, and one is how you'd expect a chase sequence to be done on "next-gen platforms."

You mean by giving Jade super parkour Assassin's Creed abilities? Maybe I'm forgetting about Jade's abilities but I do not remember her ever pulling off the crazy stuff from that trailer.

P90

Will they tighten up the controls in this one? The game had a nice vibe, but the lag was horrific. It was like playing Zelda with latter stage Parkinson's. Not something I wish on anyone.

edgefusion said:
You mean by giving Jade super parkour Assassin's Creed abilities? Maybe I'm forgetting about Jade's abilities but I do not remember her ever pulling off the crazy stuff from that trailer.

Sorry, it's been a few years since I last played BGE, but nothing she does in the trailer seems far out of the abilities she had in the first game really. Once again, I think it's just a natural expansion due to generational leaps in software. Old Snake is capable of a lot more than what he was capable of in the original MGS.

Also, if the rumors that BGE2 takes place years after the first, I'd expect Jade to be better on her feet if she has been running from the Doms or whoever the main antagonists in the series are. Parkour abilities are pretty much the norm for modern platformers it would seem.

Real or not, in-game or not it sure was fun to watch! I'm not sure you can get that cinematic while still having player input though, at least without it being completely directed (like the game prompts you to hang left or right).

EDIT: Watching it again I take it back, I got the feeling you could actually play that video.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Valkyr Junkie said:
Sorry, it's been a few years since I last played BGE, but nothing she does in the trailer seems far out of the abilities she had in the first game really. Once again, I think it's just a natural expansion due to generational leaps in software. Old Snake is capable of a lot more than what he was capable of in the original MGS.
This is what I'm thinking. They said that the last generation of consoles wasn't powerful enough for them to really meet their original vision for the game and that this one would be more like what they wanted. They could have fully intended for Jade to be able to do this stuff in the first but weren't able to pull it off.

Nikorasu

This is obviously not actual gameplay. In-engine gameplay concept perhaps (or maybe a QTE :lol ). Regardless I really like the direction the series is taking.

Jade <3

Top Bottom