• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Beyond Good and Evil 2 footage

Sega1991 said:
That doesn't look real-time and Jade's movements seem kind of stiff. That looked more like something you'd get out of a QTE.

Maybe it's a target render?

They showed the capabilities of their engine last year with the debut trailer. I doubt they'd use CGI to demo their game sequences. They would use their already up and running engine. Look at the shadows in the video, thats not CGI quality.

AltogetherAndrews said:

Maybe it's just the camera, but the way she animates isn't that smooth - her movements through the environment certainly flow, but the animation on her actual body isn't. It's almost like she's moving but her body isn't effected by momentum.

Something about it just doesn't feel right and it's hard to put my finger on it.

John_B

The camera work (hollywood action) for this presentation make everything seem more than it really is. You won't have the view bounce around in the final game, unless the developers are smoking crack.

JCtheMC said:
Whatever happens, the game will not look that good when it comes out. I'd be willing to take a ban bet on that.
No need. The animation transfer is way too fluid to be actual gameplay. No game will pull that off in this generation.

Also isn't it weird that developers can make these frame perfect trailers 6-12 months before release? In other words, they are pre-rendering shit, and this looks very "enhanced" in all aspects.

Buggy Loop

Is everyone at Ubisoft wall running their way to work every morning or something? Whats next, Sam Fisher killing terrorists on roofs and then drop into a dumpster?

fernoca

Firestorm said:
Yeah, did people somehow forget that?
It's Resident Evil 5 (demo) all over again..

People around here ejaculating by the mere mention of Resident Evil 4..then RE5 demo was released..and they started acting as if none of them ever played RE4 and started complaining about stuff that was in that game.

ChoklitReign said:
How the hell do the controls work with that camera? I doubt it's real-time.
Probably works like the first game. You get these events where the action is streamlined. Kinda like QTE. You still fully contol her just with no HUD.

i remember buying BG&E when Ubi dropped it to $10 because it but never got any further than 5 minutes into it. I don't even remember why i put it down and/or never came back to it, but it's now at the top of my Gamefly queue.

I doubt the animations and camera angles will be as fluid in the game, but I think it's a rather safe bet that the game will look like that (PC version).

Sure as heck looks like BG&E 2 to me. Though it also looks to me to be some type of beefed up artistic statement of purpose of something (maybe put together for an in-house pitch of some type?), looks way to smooth and busy to be even in-engine cutscene to me.

fernoca said:
It's Resident Evil 5 (demo) all over again..

People around here ejaculating by the mere mention of Resident Evil 4..then RE5 demo was released..and they started acting as if none of them ever played RE4 and started complaining about stuff that was in that game.

I wasn't really around for that, but the RE5 complaints I've seen have mostly had to with its failure to keep up with modern standards, and about it relying on crippled controls in order to make outdated formats seem acceptable.

TheFightingFish said:
Sure as heck looks like BG&E 2 to me. Though it also looks to me to be some type of beefed up artistic statement of purpose of something (maybe put together for an in-house pitch of some type?), looks way to smooth and busy to be even in-engine cutscene to me.

Probably just to show the capabilities of their engine like their debut video "The Pig"..

fernoca

Leatherface said:
There's no way that's BGE. There is no sci fi in that footage at all. Mirrors Edge 2 with a
3rd person view?
But..argh! I'm out of this thread!
Is like this footage made people dumb and caused amnesia to others.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
looks like a QTE event, i can see the final version having button prompts ..

fernoca said:
But..argh! I'm out of this thread!
Is like this footage made people dumb and caused amnesia to others.

That amnesia should be telling of how out of place that scene was in BG&E. It's not what the overwhelming majority of the game was like, at all. Maybe they are just trying to show off the most action-packed bit here for promotional purposes, or at least I hope that's the case.

Revelations said:
Got damnit people...

Beyond Good & Evil rooftop chase scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy7DrxuW7rA

But see, that looks like a videogame. I can see somebody holding a controller in their hands and controlling Jade to do that stuff, because everything she does is very mechanical, in a sense. She does the same dodge-roll multiple times, the camera isn't as crazy (it stays fairly locked down, actually), and she loops the same jog animation for the entire sequence.

The supposed BG&E2 footage... just based on the camera alone that'll be hell to play that smoothly unless we're watching a heavily QTE'd sequence minus the button prompts. Games cannot be that cinematic because there is visual information you need to convey to the player and that information is not present in this supposed footage.

That is why I say target render. It's rendered with graphics that are close to what they want the game to look like, but there are certain elements that would be difficult to accurately replicate within the actual videogame space without losing certain elements that make it a videogame and not a movie.

Haunted

Sega1991 said:
But see, that looks like a videogame. I can see somebody holding a controller in their hands and controlling Jade to do that stuff, because everything she does is very mechanical, in a sense. She does the same dodge-roll multiple times, the camera isn't as crazy (it stays fairly locked down, actually), and she loops the same jog animation for the entire sequence.

The supposed BG&E2 footage... just based on the camera alone that'll be hell to play that smoothly unless we're watching a heavily QTE'd sequence minus the button prompts. Games cannot be that cinematic because there is visual information you need to convey to the player and that information is not present in this supposed footage.

That is why I say target render. It's rendered with graphics that are close to what they want the game to look like, but there are certain elements that would be difficult to accurately replicate within the actual videogame space without losing certain elements that make it a videogame and not a movie.
Scripted in-game assets to show off the flow and style they're aiming for? Could be.

Not as likely, but also possible, would be a scripted in-game gameplay sequence with the HUD removed. Ancel is a master, I won't rule anything out.

AltogetherAndrews said:
That amnesia should be telling of how out of place that scene was in BG&E. It's not what the overwhelming majority of the game was like, at all. Maybe they are just trying to show off the most action-packed bit here for promotional purposes, or at least I hope that's the case.
True, it was just one scene, but one of the more memorable ones (or at least I thought so until this thread >_>)

Looks a lot like Beyond Good & Evil meets Prince meets Mirror's Edge and I love it.

I'm 99% sure it's a CG concept trailer though..

Mifune

Mehmber
This looks like it's running on the PS4 or something. Stunning, but I doubt the final game will look like that. I'm gonna guess it's a target render.

Sega1991 said:
Games cannot be that cinematic because there is visual information you need to convey to the player and that information is not present in this supposed footage.

Or hypothetically the person playing could know what to do when to do it. Played it more than enough times to know how to navigate in the world and where to perform the manuevers?

Looks good. I can imagine a game with Assassin's creed's movement tech with BG&E's creativity and cleverness being pretty good.

The camera movement definitely looks scripted but I don't think the assets are really unbelievably beyond this generation's capabilities, naysayers.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
looks like real time to me... the only things that really stands out to even make it debatable to me is the excellent lighting and animation. the animation can be explained, as others have, by saying its like the firsts rooftop escape or more likely that its cutscene or scripted. there is also quite a bit about it that clearly indicates its not cg... the environments are quite blocky, and pausing the footage at most any point you can see poly edges everywhere. also, the shadows are quite blocky

but oh my god it looks great, just like the real time teaser did. and its BG&E, so it will fucking kick ass.

i'm not sure why people are shocked it would be a looker. ubi has had some of the best looking games this gen IMO, and BG&E1 looked amazing when it was debuted last gen too.

Just rewatched..

The lighting and shadow are way beyond anything done in real-time. The draw distance in the final scene (rooftop jump) is also insane. It's very very probably not realtime. It's definitely not gameplay anyway (that camera can not be dynamic, it's scripted for sure).

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The rooftop escape in BG&E looks nothing like this one. How does the player get those queues to jump up to the rooftop? I mean cmmon.

tahrikmili said:
Just rewatched..

The lighting and shadow are way beyond anything done in real-time. The draw distance in the final scene (rooftop jump) is also insane. It's very very probably not realtime. It's definitely not gameplay anyway (that camera can not be dynamic, it's scripted for sure).

Look at her shadow while she rolls after the big jump sequence to the last rooftop. That is not CGI shadow. See hows its pixelated and jumping? Thats in engine.

camineet

Banned
There's no way the 360/PS3 can pull that off in real-time.

The actual game / in-game gameplay won't and can't look that good.

It's either a target render or a PC version.

Turfster

tahrikmili said:
The draw distance in the final scene (rooftop jump) is also insane. It's very very probably not realtime.
Uh, that can be *very* easily faked for not too much of a performance hit, and Ubisoft have done it before. Have been doing it pretty much since the PoP trilogy as a matter of fact.

Pretty sure this is rendered ingame, agree with the scripted sequence and camera tho.

camineet said:
There's no way the 360/PS3 can pull that off in real-time.

The actual game / in-game gameplay won't and can't look that good.

It's either a target render or a PC version.

The graphics are capable on 360PS3, the high fluid animations are not. Thats what make the video look great. The animations are higher than normal.

sprocket

Banned
image quality by it self is wayyyy too high .. adding the level of lighting and shadows to thats makes it total BS.

that said it could very well be a concept trailer with sets and models from in game. But running real time it is not.

Barakov

I don't care if it's CG bullshit/real-time bullshit with scripted bullshit, it looked fucking ace. And it's got me even more excited for the game.

sprocket said:
image quality by it self is wayyyy too high .. adding the level of lighting and shadows to thats makes it total BS.

that said it could very well be a concept trailer with sets and models from in game. But running real time it is not.

Why would they show the game on anything other than it running on their already up and running engine? Which was showed last year in realtime. If this is indeed from Ubi then I doubt they would use CGI to show the game off when they have a engine fully capable obviously of doing similar graphics.

Top Bottom