• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Possible Kojima Productions Reveal in Three Days?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Darkpen said:
No, fuck you, I want Raiden screentime. I started with MGS2, I expected the next MGS to let me fucking save Olga's child, and god dammit, MGS4 was a disappointment in that respect.

Well, no, that's not right. The reason why blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah.

I don't care about the reasons, I want a game like that.

Darkpen

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
I don't care about the reasons, I want a game like that.
I'm shocked that you stopped caring, Ether :S

I remember your crazy speculative posts on where the MGS story might be heading, but now no more? D:

I have my own dreams for the most awesome/immersive war-game, but what were you hoping for, exactly, since you pointed out the mechanical/future a.i. aspect of it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I no longer care about MGS after MGS4, sorry:p

I don't mind more MG games, but I'm done with that story.

EDIT: Actually I'm pretty fed up with most Japanese games. I just want Trico.

jett

D-Member
Seriously, Kojima needs to put Metal Gear Solid to death. I've had enough. No MGS4 prequel/DLC plz. Metal Gear Whatever that takes place after MGS4 and has barely anything to do with the shittastic plot of that game = yes plz.

DrPirate

Banned
jett said:
Seriously, Kojima needs to put Metal Gear Solid to death. I've had enough. No MGS4 prequel/DLC plz. Metal Gear Whatever that takes place after MGS4 and has barely anything to do with the shittastic plot of that game = yes plz.

Agreed.

StuBurns

Banned
jett said:
The Solid in Metal Gear Solid is a reference to the gaming being rendered in 3D, not Solid Snake.

jett said:

"louls j/k snake, it turns out we've found a way to cure your old age and fox-die, you're perfectly healthy again, UH-OH looks like there's still some patriots left, better fight them"

and then gray fox is revealed to be alive as a government agent in a scene described by game journalists as "moving, cinematic, and meaningful: fans of the story will love it."

karasu

Ether_Snake said:
The feeling of being in a world of routine war was really well done. I would love a very immersive, realistic FPS set in such a world.

Oh god. Please no. That's the most played out genre in existence.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
stuburns said:
You could say that about any game. Uncharted could take 90 hours if you play it slow enough. It's 3 hours if you push it on MGS4, I think 5 or 6 would be a fairly typical speed, that's what it took me first play thru.

It took you 6 hours to beat MGS 4? Did you skip every cutscene?

Darkpen

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Yeah I no longer care about MGS after MGS4, sorry:p

I don't mind more MG games, but I'm done with that story.

EDIT: Actually I'm pretty fed up with most Japanese games. I just want Trico.
How about Naruto ps360 games?
hur hur

jett said:
So I guess you wouldn't object to a Metal Gear Raiden :D

EmCeeGramr said:
"louls j/k snake, it turns out we've found a way to cure your old age and fox-die, you're perfectly healthy again, UH-OH looks like there's still some patriots left, better fight them"

and then gray fox is revealed to be alive as a government agent in a scene described by game journalists as "moving, cinematic, and meaningful: fans of the story will love it."
:lol :lol

Shurs

stuburns said:
Are you counting cutscenes though?
You're already like an 8th of the way thru.

Stuburns,

You beat the game exceptionally fast at 14 hours including cut scenes. Most people took between 19-24 hours. You're an exception.

jett said:

I'd like the guy to move on to a new idea and new I.P. Let someone else milk the MGS series now.

StuBurns

Banned
Shurs said:
Based on what people have said in the official thread, reviews, etc.
Based on MGS:TUS I'd say my playthru was about average.

And game length/cutscene length was under NDA for reviewers.

Shurs

stuburns said:
Based on MGS:TUS I'd say my playthru was about average.

And game length/cutscene length was under NDA for reviewers.

I'm sorry, I don't know what TUS stands for.

Chris Kohler's playthrough took 18 hours.
link

Paul Fitzpatrick from OPM played for just over 29 hours.
link

Solo

I beat MGS4 the first time in about 12-14 hours. Never played it a second time, but if its ANYTHING like the previous Metal Gears, you could easily shave that time down about 75%. MGS1 can be beat in a ridiculously short time.

StuBurns

Banned
Shurs said:
I'm sorry, I don't know what TUS stands for.

Chris Kohler's playthrough took 18 hours.
link

Paul Fitzpatrick from OPM played for just over 29 hours.
link
Insane, I really don't know what he was doing to 20 hours of gameplay. He must have died a lot. He could have been playing it on extreme.

Either way, that doesn't prove it's a normal play thru time.

MGS:TUS is a MGS message board.

Either way, we've not going to agree, 5 hours isn't exceptional by any stretch, 3 hours is very good, and it can be done quicker.

Shurs

stuburns said:
Insane, I really don't know what he was doing to 20 hours of gameplay. He must have died a lot. He could have been playing it extreme.

Either way, that doesn't prove it's a normal play thru time.

MGS:TUS is a MGS message board.

Either way, we've not going to agree, 5 hours isn't exceptional by any stretch, 3 hours is very good, and it can be done quicker.

I agree that you beat the game in 14 hours. It took me 22 hours. Somewhere I got 8 extra hours of gameplay out of the game. I did not feel that the game was short.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
If this game has anything to do with a concept OUTSIDE OF THE METAL GEAR UNIVERSE, I will be shocked.

Kojima just cannot leave Metal Gear alone. I expect MORE Metal Gear, except from a new perspective.

Spiegel

I can believe someone finishing the game in 5 hours of gameplay if he/she was playing the game in easy, running and gunning.

Playing stealthy in normal/hard, I find hard to believe that someone can finish the game in five hours of gameplay in the first playthrough.

StuBurns

Banned
Spiegel said:
I can believe someone finishing the game in 5 hours of gameplay if he/she was playing the game in easy, running and gunning.

Playing stealthy in normal/hard, I find hard to believe that someone can finish the game in five hours of gameplay in the first playthrough.
I played it on the second 'western' normal difficulty. I didn't 'run & gun' much, only when I was seen.

And the game is insanely easy. Even for someone who is incredibly wank at video games.

Darkpen

Banned
I don't remember my time for my first playthrough, but I remember it being around 20 hours, give or take. Maybe 17. Not sure.

stuburns said:
Linear in the sense that it's impossible to get lost, there is a map and arrow telling you where to go.

What? Fallout 3 had a map and compass telling you where to go. Linear means the game goes forward in a straight line, with no deviation possible. It has nothing to do with whether there's a map or not.

If you add together all of the different tactics, routes, guard patterns based on how the battle's going, there's no way you could call it a linear game. The fact of the matter is, there was tons of playtime available to you if you wanted it. If you didn't, that's fine, the game was made in such a way that you could just barrel through it, no problem. But if you rushed through the game as fast as you could, you don't get to call the game too short.

It's just a disingenuous argument. You could get to the end of Super Mario in half an hour if you wanted, but there's so much you're going to miss out on.

My first playthrough was 33 hours, my second was 35. I was still discovering new areas and routes on my 4th playthrough. The gameplay's there if you want.

jett

D-Member
14 hours? You must've rushed through the game and skipped cut-scenes/codecs. The cut-scenes in MGS4 amount to 9-10 hours. I'm not even exaggerating. :p

StuBurns

Banned
freethought said:
What? Fallout 3 had a map and compass telling you where to go. Linear means the game goes forward in a straight line, with no deviation possible. It has nothing to do with whether there's a map or not.

If you add together all of the different tactics, routes, guard patterns based on how the battle's going, there's no way you could call it a linear game. The fact of the matter is, there was tons of playtime available to you if you wanted it. If you didn't, that's fine, the game was made in such a way that you could just barrel through it, no problem. But if you rushed through the game as fast as you could, you don't get to call the game too short.

It's just a disingenuous argument. You could get to the end of Super Mario in half an hour if you wanted, but there's so much you're going to miss out on.

My first playthrough was 33 hours, my second was 35. I was still discovering new areas and routes on my 4th playthrough. The gameplay's there if you want.
I said linear because that person gave the example of not being able to find where to go. I said it's impossible and it is. You'd have to literally be mentally disabled not to know where to go in that game.

It's not disingenuous, I've finished the game 8 times, I've probably put a 100 hours in now. I know there is things to do, but it doesn't change the fact I did finish it with the cutscenes lasting longer than the interactivity. And it can be finished far faster than I did it.

Cartman86

Banned
Took me 18-20 hours to beat MGS4. I never stopped either. Got the game sat down and played for all those hours. I only stopped to crap and grab snacks. I died maybe twice.

stuburns said:
I said linear because that person gave the example of not being able to find where to go. I said it's impossible and it is. You'd have to literally be mentally disabled not to know where to go in that game.

It's not disingenuous, I've finished the game 8 times, I've probably put a 100 hours in now. I know there is things to do, but it doesn't change the fact I did finish it with the cutscenes lasting longer than the interactivity. And it can be finished far faster than I did it.

No-one's doubting you're playtime. Now all I'm wondering is why a guy who's put 100 hours into the game would possibly complain about there not being enough gameplay. Don't you think that sounds a bit disingenuous. Also, if you liked it enough to play it 8 times, why would you have rushed through it like that on your first playthrough?

StuBurns

Banned
freethought said:
No-one's doubting you're playtime. Now all I'm wondering is why a guy who's put 100 hours into the game would possibly complain about there not being enough gameplay. Don't you think that sounds a bit disingenuous. Also, if you liked it enough to play it 8 times, why would you have rushed through it like that on your first playthrough?
I did not 'rush' thru it. I played thru at the speed that felt natural to me.

And I never said it lacked playability, or replay value, or that it was too short, or too long. In fact, I didn't complain about a single aspect of the game in this thread.

I defended the claim that the game is basically a longer film than it is a game. For me, it is. Maybe for the majority it's not, I can't really speak for the majority of people, then again, nor can anyone else.

I love MGS4. And I would never recommend just watching the cutscenes online unless the person doesn't like playing the game. I was just answering the question, which was do the cutscenes tell the complete story, and they do. You can watch them and never see the gameplay sections and know everything about the story.

agm2502

I really hope it is another MGS, as long as it isn't snake. Only ever played MGS4 so I want more. also hope they announce MGS1,2 and 3 for psn in some kind on ps2 classic downloads like the ps1 ones.

stuburns said:
I did not 'rush' thru it. I played thru at the speed that felt natural to me.

And I never said it lacked playability, or replay value, or that it was too short, or too long. In fact, I didn't complain about a single aspect of the game in this thread.

I defended the claim that the game is basically a longer film than it is a game. For me, it is. Maybe for the majority it's not, I can't really speak for the majority of people, then again, nor can anyone else.

I love MGS4. And I would never recommend just watching the cutscenes online unless the person doesn't like playing the game. I was just answering the question, which was do the cutscenes tell the complete story, and they do. You can watch them and never see the gameplay sections and know everything about the story.

Actually, it was 'do you get the complete experience' and I can't imagine a scenario in which someone who sunk as much time into the game as you had would say yes to that. What's more you did recommend watching the cut-scenes without knowing a damn thing about the gaming habits and preferences of the person who asked.

StuBurns

Banned
freethought said:
Actually, it was 'do you get the complete experience' and I can't imagine a scenario in which someone who sunk as much time into the game as you had would say yes to that. What's more you did recommend watching the cut-scenes without knowing a damn thing about the gaming habits and preferences of the person who asked.
I assumed he meant the story experience. Obviously you wouldn't get the game experience, no one would assume that.

Yoboman

Gold Member
You know, for the sake of the industry, I'd like to see a series just fucking END. That goes for Halo too, but they're already on the spin off bandwagon

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I am surprised that people are still talking about MGS when the announcement isn't likely even to be related to the MGS series. Kojipro rotates between projects. They pretty much don't churn out sequels to just one series, though MGS is certainly their claim to fame.

Not to mention that the teasers are completely unrelated to the MGS series at all so far. Except in your imaginations of course.

iceatcs

bobbytkc said:
I am surprised that people are still talking about MGS when the announcement isn't likely even to be related to the MGS series. Kojipro rotates between projects. They pretty much don't churn out sequels to just one series, though MGS is certainly their claim to fame.

Not to mention that the teasers are completely unrelated to the MGS series at all so far. Except in your imaginations of course.
Blame the alternate codes on the teaser site:
"Hideo Kojima, MGS,METAL GEAR, NEXT, game, konami, kojima game, KJP, Kojima Production "

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
iceatcs said:
Blame the alternate codes on the teaser site:

you mean the meta tags?

c'mon, they just probably want to direct the MGS fans to the teaser website and add traffic. I mean, if you are a developer, wouldn't you want the fans of your games to pay attention to your next project?

I know I would add these tags if I were the developer. It would seem foolish not to do so.

Top Bottom