• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Potato Masher (console-level used PC) vs PS4/PS4 Pro in Watch_Dogs 2

Akronis

You just illustrated part of the problem. You can spend money on a PC and maybe it will run the games you want to play, maybe it won't. Even if there are configurations that will do what you want, you have to educate yourself in order to make the correct purchase. That's time and effort that isn't required to get gaming on a console.

That isn't an argument anyone is making in this thread.

theultimo

You just illustrated part of the problem. You can spend money on a PC and maybe it will run the games you want to play, maybe it won't. Even if there are configurations that will do what you want, you have to educate yourself in order to make the correct purchase. That's time and effort that isn't required to get gaming on a console.
I personally checked prices on budget laptops:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/474105/Aspire_ES1-572-321G_156_Laptop_Computer_-_Midnight_Black

This pc for instance is 768p with an intel HD 620 for $279.00 This PC will also play BF1 at lowest settings at 30fps.

The definition of playable varies, but it seems to work for some people.

This does not mean its comparable to a dedicated console no, but it does have a capability.

mcrommert

Banned
Yeah i was watching his build of his new machine to go against the ps4 pro and i actually liked how he was talking about returning a ps4 and that being the use case for pricing

But then he got a crazy deal on a 1060 and overclocked the crap out it

And i stopped watching

If you don't treat these things as normal wide pricing and stock setup than this isn't a serious comparison...its an attempt to always get the pc to be on the top

Hux1ey

Banned
Yeah i was watching his build of his new machine to go against the ps4 pro and i actually liked how he was talking about returning a ps4 and that being the use case for pricing

And i stopped watching

If you don't treat these things as normal wide pricing and stock setup than this isn't a serious comparison...its an attempt to always get the pc to be on the top
What's wrong with overclocking though? Anyone can do it.

Budi

Oh come on, that is your metric on how the term is used? You know as well as I do who's been using that term, they CAN'T use it here. Let's be reasonable man.

Same for the other point, it's why I stated both of my PC's have monitors, do you PC game on your TV? I don't know a single PC gamer that does not have a monitor that is ONLY used for their PC's, it's part of the price package, it's why I price budget build at that cost, and that's only for $120 1080 monitors. You know as well as I do that a monitor is part of the PC expense, you're not PC gaming on your living room monitor. Why do you even bother acting like this though? You know what the point is but you act like you're ignorant. Damn dude.

I exclusively use a TV for my PC. Many of my friends use both TV and a monitor based on the need, some use TV or monitor exclusively. Both are valid and widely used, in Finland atleast. And yes I play shooters and MOBA:s with kb/mouse on that same TV sitting on armchair. When I wan't to lie down I pick my Steam controller or DS3 and go to sofa.

Akronis

And i stopped watching

You're not the target audience for the video.

THIS VIDEO IS NOT ATTEMPTING TO SAY "PS4 SUX $400 PC BEATS IT EASY"

It's literally just showing how a cheap machine fairs with more modern games. It's for budget PC builders showing what perf you can get for the least amount spent.

And who gives a shit if he got a deal on a GPU? "Crazy deals" aren't exclusive to this dude. It's already been proven multiple times that it's possible to build a similar machine right now for <$400 or at $400.

Tecnniqe

Banned

And i stopped watching

Pretty sure that pro got some overclocked parts too. Might as well throw them all out the window, smh.

I'd love to see one of these that focus on what is the best system you can get per year in the higher spec console price bracket ($450 - $500) and must include OS, all components with the option of either a low budget controller with decent M+K or budget M+K and decent controller and everything must be new. Then a comparison not just with consoles but also higher spec PC's. Maybe there are people already doing this but if so I'm ignorant to it.

Planet

Notice how it's always console gamers using this term?
and there it is.
You took that out of context. I was referring explicitly to a part of the PC gamer crowd as "master race on a budget" as in those that have or advice getting cheap PCs and feel the urge to look down on console gamers in a verbal way. Not at all meant to belittle the whole PC gamer crowd in general.

And I get the feeling these videos are less catering to budget gamers in general but to these cheapo system warriors. More neutral and educational channels like LowSpecGamer do exist.

Well this thread went as expected.

Lets highlight some of the absurd shit posted in retalation to a technical specs comparison video:

-PC gamers are meanies on other parts of the internet which justifies us being platform warriors here.
-You have to factor in display cost in PC builds but not in console prices, because reasons
-A 400 dollar system couldn't run this list of games, despite all evidence to the contrary
-Yet again the banned term 'pc master race' is only brought out by console users over and over again
-Horizon, Nioh, etc.

belmonkey

I'd love to see one of these that focus on what is the best system you can get per year in the higher spec console price bracket ($450 - $500) and must include OS, all components with the option of either a low budget controller with decent M+K or budget M+K and decent controller and everything must be new. Then a comparison not just with consoles but also higher spec PC's. Maybe there are people already doing this but if so I'm ignorant to it.

What you're asking for is something that objectively does more for a similar price. I think there are quite a few people that do budget builds like that on Youtube though. At least theoretical ones.

deadfolk

Any mention of the settings they used?

I have a 1080 and could never get it to look even as good as the PS4 version, imo.

I even looked at the nvidia guide for it, but it just never looked right to me. Aliasing in particular was awful.

theultimo

Any mention of the settings they used?

I have a 1080 and could never get it to look even as good as the PS4 version, imo.

I even looked at the nvidia guide for it, but it just never looked right to me. Aliasing in particular was awful.
Yeah the smaa implementation is horrible. You can try SMAA_2t to help or downsize, but at default the aa solution is either very taxing (MSAA) or very weak (SMAA)

Steel

Banned

Buy them on Steam for $5 or so is what I did.

Including peripherals and an HDD (2TB) and a $20 Windows license, you can get that PC for under $500 AR.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.48 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B250M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 470 4GB Red Dragon Video Card ($148.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Azza SIRIUS ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($9.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Mouse: Logitech G300S Wired Optical Mouse ($21.48 @ Amazon)
Other: Windows 10 Home ($11.99)
Total: $486.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-25 19:52 EDT-0400

And hey I included dual channel RAM and a 4-slot motherboard for good measure.

There's this, it's about as good as a PS4 pro on the GPU end(slightly better), and better on the CPU end. Those aren't really budget kb&m either. Everything new. Not to mention the hard drive is overkill. It'd be worse than scorpio gpu-wise though still better CPU-wise, but I get the feeling it'd be cheaper than scorpio. DDR4 being expensive ATM drives up the price, too.

Hux1ey

Banned

Lets highlight some of the absurd shit posted in retalation to a technical specs comparison video:

-PC gamers are meanies on other parts of the internet which justifies us being platform warriors here.
-You have to factor in display cost in PC builds but not in console prices, because reasons
-A 400 dollar system couldn't run this list of games, despite all evidence to the contrary
-Yet again the banned term 'pc master race' is only brought out by console users over and over again
-Horizon, Nioh, etc.

Bingo card time :p

Spladam

-Horizon, Nioh, etc.

This is the text book definition of a shit post.

Buy them on Steam for $5 or so is what I did.

Including peripherals and an HDD (2TB) and a $20 Windows license, you can get that PC for under $500 AR.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($59.48 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI B250M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill NT Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.95 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 470 4GB Red Dragon Video Card ($148.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Azza SIRIUS ATX Mid Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard ($9.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Mouse: Logitech G300S Wired Optical Mouse ($21.48 @ Amazon)
Other: Windows 10 Home ($11.99)
Total: $486.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-25 19:52 EDT-0400

And hey I included dual channel RAM and a 4-slot motherboard for good measure.

This won't last 8 years like console might. I still play ps3 and it looks good. 10 year old pc that was bought in 2007 with 600 bucks at that time would have been obsolete some time ago. Pc have short life comparable. Pc are more versatile compared to consoles. They each are good. Consoles are way too cheap over all.

This won't last 8 years like console might. I still play ps3 and it looks good. 10 year old pc that was bought in 2007 with 600 bucks at that time would have been obsolete some time ago. Pc have short life comparable. Pc are more versatile compared to consoles. They each are good. Consoles are way too cheap over all.

Short life? It depends on the hardware.
Hardware which predates the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One are above and beyond what they are capable of. Such as the i5 2500K or i7 2600K CPUs of 2011, as-well as GPUs such as the Radeon HD 7970 from January 2012.

AmFreak

Your ps3 has also been obsolete some time ago.
And i still use an over 7 year old cpu with an over 6 year old gpu and play games your ps3 cannot ...

Hux1ey

Banned

My brother has my old PC from 2008 or so with an 8800GT and an old AMD anthlon dual core and can play games like CSGO, LoL at over 60fps of course he is limited by DX10 but hey, PC hardware can last a long ass time if you want it to.

Steel

Banned

You know this is PRECISELY why the potato masher vids are using a 760 and cpu from 2009. The consoles from last gen were actually a lot higher specced compared to current PC tech at the time than the current gen of consoles. There's nothing magic about your PS3, it was simply higher specced than that particular $600 PC in 2007.

On the other hand, the fact of the matter is that the potato masher with a 760 is rarely outdone by the PS4 og(and when it is, it is only marginally outdone) and is aging just fine for the most part.

This sort of build is perfect for those unsure if PC gaming is for them, it is far more affordable to start off with a budget build and replace components over time and/or when the consumer is ready rather than go balls deep initially. Its not really a PC vs console debate rather this is what you could get on a budget and this is what it is capable of, this is what a console X is capable in comparison. Plus you will still be able to play older games on older machines.

Lister

Banned

This entire video is done precisely to debunk nonsense like this... and peple ask why it exists.

RevenWolf

Lol yes they can

Speaking from experience

You just made a particularly bad buy. You can absolutely play CS, Overwatch, Dota 2 and LoL on most integrated graphics in cheap laptops, it's been that way for years actually.

That poster either literally knows nothing about PCs or is intentionally trying to spread misinformation.

Earlier in the thread the poster tried making a nonsensical argument that because most computers had intergrated graphics built in the platform didn't have freedom.

Either way the poster has very clear agenda.

RedSwirl

I bought a PS4 for Uncharted 4 but I'm honestly bored of 30fps slow paced third person action games which seems to be every single PS4 exclusive going forward. First party sony games have incredible production and are pretty as hell but they leave me feeling empty in the gameplay department. PC exclusives these days are much lower budget but they seem to try and set themselves apart and try new angles on things and improve on gameplay ideas over anything else. I get why the majority prefers an Uncharted 4 over let's say a Stalker game but I feel myself becoming less and less interested in these big budget blockbusters.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

Yeah, the third person action game seems to be main console workhorse. They're good, but in terms of core gameplay concepts and interface, they tend to be safer than the lower budget and more experimental PC exclusives.

Don't get me wrong, I think Yakuza is dope, Zelda is my main thing right now, and I actually love Uncharted 4. It's just that most of the innovation of the last decade or so has originated on PC: Minecraft, MOBAs, survival games, etc. The main reason for this is probably that an open platform is just inherently easier for these small devs to get into. Console manufacturers are trying to make their platforms open to more and more indies but their content gates are still significant in comparison to PC and mobile.

RevenWolf

Yeah, the third person action game seems to be main console workhorse. They're good, but in terms of core gameplay concepts and interface, they tend to be safer than the lower budget and more experimental PC exclusives.

Don't get me wrong, I think Yakuza is dope, Zelda is my main thing right now, and I actually love Uncharted 4. It's just that most of the innovation of the last decade or so has originated on PC: Minecraft, MOBAs, survival games, etc. The main reason for this is probably that an open platform is just inherently easier for these small devs to get into. Console manufacturers are trying to make their platforms open to more and more indies but their content gates are still significant in comparison to PC and mobile.

I think another limiting factor is the control method.

A mouse and keyboard can help navigate menus and ui significantly faster in comparison.

It's the primary reason I feel that CRPGs generally are not a thing on console. The inventory system would be too cumbersome for a controller.

RedSwirl

I think another limiting factor is the control method.

A mouse and keyboard can help navigate menus and ui significantly faster in comparison.

It's the primary reason I feel that CRPGs generally are not a thing on console. The inventory system would be too cumbersome for a controller.

I wonder how the console versions of Wasteland 2 and Original Sin did.

Anyway, I actually think that while control method is a factor, marketing of console games over the generations has been a bigger factor. You just have to look at the North American console market compared to pretty much every other sector of gaming.

The NA console market is all action games and sports games too, but for some reason the Japanese console market and the dedicated handheld market have always been more welcoming to RPGs, adventure games, simulation games, and strategy games. Really they're the same genres that are popular on PC and mobile, they'e just interpreted a different way. Stretching all the way back to the Famicom, CRPGs became JRPGs, adventure games became visual novels, strategy games became SRPGs as well as Japan's own style of grand strategy like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, simulation games just became wackier simulation games.

I'm still not totally sure why this happened but I think the difference between Japan and NA in terms of genres came down to marketing early on. Today on PS4, even in the west, major publishers are putting out stuff like ROTK, Steins;Gate, Zero Escape, Atelier, etc. It's just that if that stuff does come out on PS4, it's basically never exclusive, and usually came out on PC first. That pretty much just comes down to the console barrier to entry for developers.

theultimo

I do like theae type of video though, lowspec gamer gets even more extreme and its interesting to see stuff on hardware thats outdated or completely not made for gaming. Hell if you can get an intel atom to play anything, its neat to see.

I don't understand why you would want to pay 375$ for a pc and get ps4 levels of performance. For that price get a ps4, enjoy the exclusives, and save yourself some headaches. Or spend more and get a substancial power boost.
I built a pc with a similar budget for general home use and light photo editing. While I sometimes hook it up to the tv to play a couple of indies still not released on consoles, I never prefer to go though that process for such a small gain in performance and usability.

I do like theae type of video though, lowspec gamer gets even more extreme and its interesting to see stuff on hardware thats outdated or completely not made for gaming. Hell if you can get an intel atom to play anything, its neat to see.

Yeah I follow both channels. It's pretty sweet seeing games running on archaic systems, the Witcher 3 lowspecgamer video was pretty funny due to bits and pieces of the world teleporting in constantly.

I don't understand why you would want to pay 375$ for a pc and get ps4 levels of performance. For that price get a ps4, enjoy the exclusives, and save yourself some headaches. Or spend more and get a substancial power boost.
I built a pc with a similar budget for general home use and light photo editing. While I sometimes hook it up to the tv to play a couple of indies still not released on consoles, I never prefer to go though that process for such a small gain in performance and usability.

Isn't it interesing to see how a modest gaming PC holds up over time? I believe that is the main goal.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
That $375 gives you the ability to run thousands of classic PC games that you don't need much hardware grunt for. If you decide you need more power a GPU upgrade will get you most of the way there. Old CPUs are still viable.

Hux1ey

Banned
I paid $170 for my PS4. It plays Bloodborne and a bunch of multiplats.

Ok?

Here's a crazy thought, some may be more interested in PC exclusives (shock!), strategy games and crpg's only really live on this platform, or maybe they don't want to be charged to play online?

Here's a crazy thought, some may be more interested in PC exclusives (shock!), strategy games and crpg's only really live on this platform, or maybe they don't want to be charged to play online?

wow, what a passive-aggressive reply. I even said that I hook it up to the tv from time to time. I have a PC that does exactly that.

My point is: for gaming purposes a console is much more convenient than a PC of similar specs. That is: if you stay on the same performance level (900pc/30fps). Things change If you spend more and get higher spec components, otherwise an even more modest pc can run your indies and retro games.

But in the end, I have a 300$ pc in my office, and I need to keep it there, and I have a ps4 in my living room. I get the appeal of pc gaming but I've been there and the "cheap pc route" is not worth your time and money in my opinion.

This is actually pretty neat- my son is getting into PC gaming, and I was thinking of spending £600 or so to get him a gaming machine. I have an approximately ten year old PC knocking around which has a 760GTX, a Core 2 Duo and 8 gigs of RAM, so fairly close to the Masher. I can blow the dust off that and let him have access to my Steam library and the dozens of older games I've got without spending a penny :).

Purest 78

You can find Ps4 brand new for $250 used for even less. These comparisons don't really make since. Can you build a PC that could match ps4 at a used price of $200?

FinalAres

You can find Ps4 brand new for $250 used for even less. These comparisons don't really make since. Can you build a PC that could match ps4 at a used price of $200?

Exactly and this is the compromise. PS4s offer better value for money, simplicity and more modern-day exclusives. PCs offer greater graphics, flexibility and a much bigger library (including backwards compatibility).

Both have their significant advantages. People put too much effort in to overblowing the negatives of each platform, but no one buys a console because of the negatives of another platform, they buy it because of the advantages of their platform.

I've been looking into that since yesterday when someone else asked the same thing. I thought it would make for an interesting challenge. With what I've found so far, yes. You actually can build a PC out of used parts that can match the PS4 at a used price of $200. It's not a topic for this thread but I am convinced it's possible.

RedSwirl

This is very arguable.

I know, because I have seen it argued a gajillion times.

I didn't wanna say it. It's more accurate to say "modenr-day exclusives with better graphics and 3rd person action controls." "Exclusives" between PC and console is more about taste than amount or quality.

Hux1ey

Banned
Both have their significant advantages. People put too much effort in to overblowing the negatives of each platform, but no one buys a console because of the negatives of another platform, they buy it because of the advantages of their platform.

Consoles have less and less as time goes on I feel.

wow, what a passive-aggressive reply. I even said that I hook it up to the tv from time to time. I have a PC that does exactly that.

My point is: for gaming purposes a console is much more convenient than a PC of similar specs. That is: if you stay on the same performance level (900pc/30fps). Things change If you spend more and get higher spec components, otherwise an even more modest pc can run your indies and retro games.

But in the end, I have a 300$ pc in my office, and I need to keep it there, and I have a ps4 in my living room. I get the appeal of pc gaming but I've been there and the "cheap pc route" is not worth your time and money in my opinion.

Just a bit of friendly snark :p

Low end PC's offer a much bigger, wider and cheaper library of games, more customisation and of course more than just gaming. I feel they are a great option if you aren't into playing the latest and greatest cutting edge titles.

AmFreak

Ofc you can with a used pc.
Used i5 PC's on the german ebay start @ 60€. All you need then is more memory and a fitting gpu.
Here is a used 200€ PC that completly destroys the PS4 in every category.

theultimo

Used i5 PC's on the german ebay start @ 60€. All you need then is more memory and a fitting gpu.
Even new/refurbs too:

http://www.microcenter.com/product/444303/GX755_Windows_7_Professional_Desktop_Computer_Refurbished +

http://www.microcenter.com/product/473318/Radeon_RX_460_Overclocked_2GB_GDDR5_Video_Card

Should be around 200 ( a bit over) and is passable as a budget pc (core 2 is a bit slow but for the price its not bad) If you up it to around 250, a lot more options open up.

But this isnt the point of these tests, its to see how long a comparable pc at launch of ps4 can keep with current titles.

Brohan

That was an auction that happened to end with €200 as the highest bid. Most likely not what the seller was hoping for. It is stupid to think that this is normal or that everyone can get Lucky with an auction like this.

Over here in the Netherlands on an ebay equivalent we have links to auction sites that sell consoles, games and other stuff that start their auctions at €1. Pretty sure some Lucky guy must have have gotten a brand New ps4 for less than €100 during low traffic or during crazy late hours but that is not what usually happens and it would be disingenuous to imply that it is normal.

Edit: also i have never met a PC gamer who would buy a refurbished pc with an old ass core2duo inside it to then put a new GPU in it or who would advise a friend on a budget to do so. Like are we being serious here? I'm all for people showing that budget builds are possible but at least post something that you would actually buy yourself if you were on a budget.

I have always told my friends to save up a bit more and to have patience for one or two more months so that i could actually build them something that they could be really happy with while still having it be budget.

Top Bottom