• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PowerSlave EX public beta released for PC [update: pulled down again]

ElTopo

Banned
If anything the Night Dive version will use Kaiser's port and make it more like the Saturn version. And probably add things from the PC version as a bonus.

I'll buy it on Steam for Mod tools and Steam Workshop support.

I really don't understand this. What else did they take the name from, if not Iron Maiden? The word didn't exist in Egyptian mythology or lore or anything like that as far as I know, and it'd be too weird of a coincidence.

I disagree. Plus, Exhumed is a much inferior band. ;)

I'm not too sure about how the game's name came to be. In an interview with Ezra Driesbech, the game's director, he revealed tonnes of information about the development of the game.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Is the Night Dive Studio version still confirmed and going ahead? I've seen nothing on their website, Facebook or Twitter.

Its supposedly a port of the Saturn and PC version, yes?

Night Dive was premature in announcing their release, from the sounds of things. They don't actually have the license yet.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I don't believe it was a coincidence that after a popular band released an ancient-Egyptian-themed album named the made-up word "Powerslave" an ancient-Egyptian-themed video game used the same made-up word as a name, no.
Yeah, pretty much. If he says it's not based on the Iron Maiden album, well, then, what is it? I don't think he's lying as that would be the least charitable explanation, but it's possible he heard the album/saw the album art and remembered the word but not the origin of it, and that's how the name came to be the title of the game later. But of course that's just my speculation.

Mr. Tibbs

Oh sweet, seeing as I've never played any version of Powerslave, I'd love to try this one out. Unfortunately the game just crashes on startup for me, but it's a beta so it's to be expected.

ichtyander, I know this is probably too late since the game has been pulled, but I managed to get past the start up crash. If you make an exception for anibus.exe in Data Execution Prevention and use XP SP3, after a restart it should run for you. That did the trick for me at least.

PaulloDEC

So whatever Kaiser is up to right now, he broke his silence (a bit) today. In response to this comment on the Powerslave EX blog:

Blog Comment said:
If he were to change it to be like DOOM 64 where you provide the game data, you would have to provide an ISO of the game CD which is probably a couple hundred MB at least (up to 650 MB if it uses the whole CD) and the game would have to have a tool to process it, picking out what it needs in some kind of data conversion like DOOM 64 does. Honestly just selling the port like what was done with Strife and splitting the profits with the IP owner would be fine too. It’s pretty sad that we’ve hit a wall after such a short amount of time. I really want to see this thing be successful.

...he replied:

Kaiser said:
To be honest, I should of done that in the first place.

md99

Banned
Latest post on the blog suggests he'll revisit Exhumed in a few months to right any wrongs with the port.

Hooray!

jvm

Gamasutra.
Latest post on the blog suggests he'll revisit Exhumed in a few months to right any wrongs with the port.

Hooray!
Thank goodness. This game deserves attention, and is good enough that a modern port will not seen too dated.

I don't believe it was a coincidence that after a popular band released an ancient-Egyptian-themed album named the made-up word "Powerslave" an ancient-Egyptian-themed video game used the same made-up word as a name, no.

It's anybody's guess, but he himself and most of the original developers said they hadn't heard of the album.

s_mirage

It's anybody's guess, but he himself and most of the original developers said they hadn't heard of the album.

They cynic in me would suggest that they'd hardly admit if they blatantly ripped off the title. Given the similar theme of the game to the album art and title song, Iron Maiden's lawyers might have been wanting a word if they'd admitted copying the title.

Top Bottom