• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Predators |OT| STILL AINT GOT TIME TO BLEED

Status
Not open for further replies.

aparisi2274

The Main Event said:
I watched Predator last night on Blu-ray.

I watched Predators tonight in theaters.

Predators, what a POS. I facepalmed for almost the entire movie. The first few seconds of the movie I already had a bad feeling about it. The "explanation" for the whole game was a complete joke, all the potentially interesting characters were killed off too quickly, cinematography was bad so was the sound design, the "suspense" was badly built up...

They should've stick with one of the script that was tossed around a while ago. Something about the story revolving around Dutch's son. It would've at least make more sense than this one.

I thought Predators was an ok movie. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't a great movie either.

I thought the best part of the movie was the fight between the predator and the Yakuza character in the grassy field.

Other than that, I thought that most of the movie was a big fan service to the original and in no way helped push the series along.

Also, when Isabelle was explaining how she knew what these things were, I really thought she was going to say that
she was the daughter of the refugee that Arnold rescued in the first movie

I personally thought that sword-fight was terrible. And the end of that fight :lol so damn cliched.

It was alright. I think I'd actually rather watch the second Predator film with Danny Glover than this again though lol. I like Adrian Brody, but his character was so boring and generic throughout. Only interesting character was the rapist. I wanted him to die, but I was hoping it would be later.

I liked it!

Great use of the first movie´s soundtrack :D

Not as good as the first obviously and not as funny and original as the second but i gladly accept this as a Predator 3.

FYI i hated the AVP movies...

Bebpo

Banned
The sword fight was awful. I'd seriously like someone to show me a worse sword duel in film because I can't think of any that was so badly choreographed/filmed/acted and cliched.

Shawsie64

Banned
Went to see this last night and got half way through before my drunk friend vomited on the people in front of us and we got kicked out :lol

What happened at the end?

Shawsie64 said:
Went to see this last night and got half way through before my drunk friend vomited on the people in front of us and we got kicked out :lol

What happened at the end?

Recap of the ending:
The doctor is a serialkiller too, suprise. They try to escape with the Predator spaceship. Royce rescues the predator that was imprisoned (puts on a the original predator mask). Spaceship explodes, OG Predator gets his head chopped off by the last evil Predator, Royce then chops off the last remaining evil Predator´s head. Last remaining people are Royce and Isabelle. They witness more crates and people falling from the sky. Roll credits. Long Tall Sally by Little Richard as an ending theme.

Bebpo said:
The sword fight was awful. I'd seriously like someone to show me a worse sword duel in film because I can't think of any that was so badly choreographed/filmed/acted and cliched.
This. There was nothing to it. It just seemed to go back and forth between the guy running and falling down.

Anyway my problem with the movie was that there wasn't enough action and it wasn't very tense. It was pretty obvious when any action was going to happen. In a movie where the characters are being hunted, I expect things to happen at any point and for the mood to be very tense.

Aegus

Historically most duels involving katana were over in the first strike and involved people running at each other.

Yakuza guy seemed to change his sword stance as well.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
the film is deeply flawed, but also i think watchable and (personally) fun. all it NEEDED to be was competent--it was a cheap-ass movie that had the task of setting the series back on some sort of track, and it succeeded at that in my opinion.

remember when i said earlier in the thread "all i want is 'surprisingly good for straight to dvd quality'"? that's pretty much how it felt. which is fine. if it makes money and builds some goodwill with audiences, maybe we'll see some pictures in the future with bigger budgets and more ambitious stories.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Truant said:
They should have let the Descent guy do this film. He does this stuff well.

the perfect sort of director to do the next one, actually: low-budget savvy and looking to move up and prove something. hell, THE DESCENT with predators (or even xenomorphs) would have made me a happy pappy. it's the horror of tripping and compound fracturing a bone or falling down a huge dark shaft that makes that movie scary to me. to be clear though, i'm glad THE DESCENT isn't a part of another series. just sayin' the guy's got chops and understands tension.

BumRush

I kind of liked it actually. Low expectations going in but I was pleasantly surprised. Plus, the
spine and skull rip
was phenomenal...

GuessWho

The movie is great for what it is. Completely destroys the AVP series.
I only have one question...can someone explain me the end credits music? wtf was that?

Speculator

BioWare Austin
GuessWho said:
The movie is great for what it is. Completely destroys the AVP series.
I only have one question...can someone explain me the end credits music? wtf was that?

It was in the original Predator film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACpamPcfEH4
(unfortunately, this version was fan edited to include some random youtube guy near the end..*facepalm)

Badly timed to start the ending credits with the song, but it was a pretty cool homage.

I can only imagine that people complaining about the sword fight have a Hollywood mental image of what a sword fight should be. The Star Wars "hit the other guy's sword, add sparks" style of sword fight choreography is actually pretty unrealistic.

Sword fight, to me, was exactly what it needed to be. It was an obviously cliche situation, so they played up the cliche. I mean, the little classic whistle at the beginning of it should have been a dead give away.

"when I get home I'm gonna do so much cocaine" :lol that convict was so random

Saw it on Friday, went in with low expectations , had a blast. Much better then that shitty AvP sequel, I missed the first 5-6 minutes of the movie, I'm guessing it was him falling from the sky or waking up lost style with the camera on his eye.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
friskykillface said:
"when I get home I'm gonna do so much cocaine" :lol that convict was so random

Saw it on Friday, went in with low expectations , had a blast. Much better then that shitty AvP sequel, I missed the first 5-6 minutes of the movie, I'm guessing it was him falling from the sky or waking up lost style with the camera on his eye.
It was basically a Lost cold open, with him frantically falling from the sky, the chute opening, and him slamming into the ground, then PREDATORS flashed on screen, and then it just right back into the movie.:lol Pretty awesome, don't see that as often as you should these days.

500x_muddybuddies.jpg

So many people trying to compare to the original like it's a competition. Seriously nothing will top the original, Rodriguez himself said it about the movie and why they decided against a reboot/remake.

Saw this last night, I liked it. Although the sword fight was awkward, I think it could have been better if the damn kill strike was shown better, it happened so fast I was like, "Ok, I guess he got him"

Aegus said:
Historically most duels involving katana were over in the first strike and involved people running at each other.

Yakuza guy seemed to change his sword stance as well.
I've said it before, but the actor who portrayed Hanzo knew kendo and basically got the
swordfight added to the script.
I'm sure some people were expecting some Star Wars prequel flashy bullshit, but the portrayal in the movie was accurate and realistic.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
It was basically a Lost cold open, with him frantically falling from the sky, the chute opening, and him slamming into the ground, then PREDATORS flashed on screen, and then it just right back into the movie.:lol Pretty awesome, don't see that as often as you should these days.
I completely agree. Last time I saw it used in a film was Drag Me To Hell.

The Main Event said:
I watched Predator last night on Blu-ray.

I watched Predators tonight in theaters.

Predators, what a POS.

I watched Predator last night on Blu-ray (ultimate edition is just fine. videophiles piss off)

I watched Predators today

Predators is actually a really damn good movie. I was genuinely suprised. It worked well with that it did:

+ Not too much exposition
+ Character stereotypes were actually flipped IE: burly russian dude is actually a teddy bear and NOT Blain part deux
+ Action was well staged and visible. Royce's auto shotty was soooo cool!
+ Ending was just right.
+ Awesome Predator vibes IE: musical score,
dudes falling off cliffs, shirtless muddy brody, etc. Also glad to see a flip on Billy's character with the Yakuza actually winning ...well sorta
+ All the actors were damn good and not just throwaways ...well except Danny Trejo who is just Danny Trejo once again

Negatives:

- Why was fat Lawrence Fishburne in this? I know alot a people shat on his actual acting but I thought it was fine ...I mean he played a crazy dude. It's just he wasn't a well written/fleshed character.

So yeah, it's fantastic to see that the right people can indeed make a proper, R-Rated Predator film and I'm fucking psyched for a sequel :D

Mr. Snrub said:
I've said it before, but the actor who portrayed Hanzo knew kendo and basically got the
swordfight added to the script.
I'm sure some people were expecting some Star Wars prequel flashy bullshit, but the portrayal in the movie was accurate and realistic.

The
swordfight
is actually one of THE best parts in the entire film IMO. So much damn tension given the history with the series. I actually thinking in my head, "holy shit, is he actually gonna make it? This is rad"
And yeah, its not a silly choreographed battle ...it's to the point.
Also dig how it further fleshes out Predators as not being unstoppable.

The motivations of the predator aliens were all sorts of messed up. The stupid dogs flushing out the prey bit implied that they're going on a hunt like humans go on a fox hunt. But why would you sneak up on a fox only to get into a fist fight with it? The aliens didn't seem like they were going on a hunt, but that they were looking for one-on-one fights instead, and there are better ways to set that up.

Maybe that should be the premise behind Pr3dators: a tournament is set up where the best fighters are taken into a cage one by one to fight one of the aliens.

Bebpo said:
The first one in this video is worse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mz3tiYj65DE

black_13

Banned
Watched it last night and I'm just glad it was a huge improvement over the AVP bullshit movies. And that was good enough for me. Of course it wasn't gonna top the original but they did alot of things right.

BattleMonkey said:
So many people trying to compare to the original like it's a competition. Seriously nothing will top the original, Rodriguez himself said it about the movie and why they decided against a reboot/remake.

Predators is a remake of the original. It's the plot with whole moments taken right out of the original. When Hanzo pulled out his sword and Billy's theme played I rolled my eyes.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Predators is a remake of the original. It's the plot with whole moments taken right out of the original. When Hanzo pulled out his sword and Billy's theme played I rolled my eyes.

No, that was a clear homage as well. To finally show a melee fight.

And they even mention the first movie in the dialogue so your point is invalid.

Noisepurge said:
No, that was a clear homage as well. To finally show a melee fight.

And they even mention the first movie in the dialogue so your point is invalid.

Yeah 8 guys dropped in a jungle where they're forced to fight an unknown enemy doesn't sound like the first movie at all. Just because they acknowledged that this followed after the first movie still didn't make it anything but a rehashed idea of the first film.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

Again, it was originally planned/intended to be a remake but Rodriguez and company decided to do things differently and made this an actual sequel. Lot of things from the original are kept in this movie yes, because they are homages to the original

VASPER

Banned
I watched it last night a little drunk and high, and i thought it was good. Some stuff was corny but hey way better than AVP.

Saw this last night and loved it. I want a spin-off movie that focuses just on Laurence Fishburne piddling around that ship. When it showed him wrapped up in a blanket like a baby, I just about lost it. Otherwise, Adrien Brody is still one weird looking dude, Topher Grace is Topher Grace, and I fully embrace this resurgence of cheesy 80's-style action flicks.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Yeah 8 guys dropped in a jungle where they're forced to fight an unknown enemy doesn't sound like the first movie at all. Just because they acknowledged that this followed after the first movie still didn't make it anything but a rehashed idea of the first film.

...bu

...jesus nevermind

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Jason's Ultimatum said:
Adrian Brody said he ate a lot of chicken for his diet. He got ripped by doing so (along with weight training) , but lol. I'm sure he could've gotten bigger.
Would've been far less atractive to do so IMO.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Man, people act like the original was some sort of cinematic masterpiece. It was an enjoyable cheesy 80's action flick, not Days of Heaven.

AgentOtaku said:
...bu

...jesus nevermind

O what, you gonna tell me Rodriguez and Antal referenced the first movie because their fans and it was a loving homage? New flash. Everyone is a fan of the original Predator and Alien movies. It still didn't make this new movie anything more then average.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
O what, you gonna tell me Rodriguez and Antal referenced the first movie because their fans and it was a loving homage? New flash. Everyone is a fan of the original Predator and Alien movies. It still didn't make this new movie anything more then average.

Dude your just jumping all over the place with the hateraid. Now homages are meaningless because you just hated the movie it seems :lol

So if you liked the movie you would have been "zomg love the homage at that part!"

Solo

Spire said:
Man, people act like the original was some sort of cinematic masterpiece. It was an enjoyable cheesy 80's action flick, not Days of Heaven.

Word. But also, John McTiernan is (was? feels weird to use past tense for someone who is still alive) 10x the filmmaker Rodriguez or Nimrod will ever be.

BattleMonkey said:
Dude your just jumping all over the place with the hateraid. Now homages are meaningless because you just hated the movie it seems :lol

So if you liked the movie you would have been "zomg love the homage at that part!"

There were a lot of homages in Requiem and that didn't make it a better movie. And I never said I hated Predators but I don't think its great either.

tenchir

What's the main difference between
The new Predators and the original chained Predators? I know fishburne character mentioned that the larger predators are fighting the smaller predator, but which was which?

SpacLock

tenchir said:
What's the main difference between
The new Predators and the original chained Predators? I know fishburne character mentioned that the larger predators are fighting the smaller predator, but which was which?

They are a different race of Predators.

The original Predator was the one that was tied up. Smaller mandibles, lighter skin, smaller body, etc.

The other bigger Predators are racist. They were the ones who were hunting the humans.

They are taller (I believe), darker skin, large lower mandibles, etc.

Draft

Spire said:
It's arguably the best action movie (lock for top 3) from the golden age of action movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom