• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) PC performance thread

Anyone with lower end GPUs? I am curious to see if it'd be fine on the 960m despite the requirements, but short of looking to see how Homefront did there's really nothing to go off of.

Does the GTX 960m run Crysis 3? If it does then it will probably run this game. From what I can tell, Crysis 3 runs slower, but to be fair it's much bigger game than Prey.

Played for 4h without any issues. Paragon is right doe mouse sensitivity being halved while sprinting is just bad.

You ain't wrong there.
vFJd0.png

Haha, my first playthrough(non-lethal, stealth, minimal powers usage) took me 50 hours.

I was shocked to be honest because I remember people saying it was shorter than the first game which took me 25 hours, plus another 10 or so for the DLC. I remember people beating the game in like 4 hours wondering how much they missed of the actual game and its complex sim systems, dialogue and lore.

Everyone told me the story sucked in D2 but I thought it was fucking amazing, especially Corvo since they basically when full ham and casted Garret himself to voice Corvo.

Emily also plays completely different but I'm saving that for NG+.

Auraela

Banned
Prey will support CrossFire and SLI, as well as offer ultra-widescreen support at 21:9 at launch for PC players. Updated drivers will be available from AMD and NVIDIA and we'll be sharing more on those as they release. FOV can be adjusted via a config file and will be accessible via the Options menu in a coming update. During the final phases of testing, we found some bugs we would like to address before officially supporting it, but we wanted you to be able to play with it now! See below for info.
To enable FOV, edit the game.cfg file in notepad. The file is located in the root Prey folder in your Save Games folder (likely c:\users\\Saved Games\Arkane Studios\Prey )
Look for cl_hfov = 85.5656
85 is the default horizontal FOV setting, but it can be replaced with values up to 120. (Note – some of the issues we are working on are more noticeable with higher FOV.)

steam announcement

Anyone running this on a gtx 780 ? Considering going this route instead of ps4 pro because of reports of input lag not being fixed.

So since this is running on CryEngine, how modable could it be? Like, I think the lighting and reflections are my biggest issues so far. They just seem off a bit. Wondering how hard that would be to fix?

Or is Arkane planning on adding more graphical bells and whistles to the PC version?

EDIT: Or maybe it's the shadows? That's part of the lighting to me though.

d00d3n

Anyone else getting a displaced mouse pointer when trying DSR resolutions? The mouse pointer UI element is in one position, but the effective point that you have to place over things you want to click on is invisible and displaced downward and to the right. I have no issues at all in my native resolution of 2560*1080, but DSR resolutions don't work. Maybe a 21:9 bug?

To get 4xDSR to work without a displaced mouse pointer, set your desktop resolution to the same DSR resolution that you are going to use in game. I now get downsampling without mouse pointer displacement. As a side effect, this change seems to have increased the size of UI elements as well. Both the bugged UI and the fix were in true fullscreen btw.

Performance in 5k resolution (and max settings otherwise) seems great. Consistently 50-60 fps using a last gen Titan X Pascal.

teokrazia

5820K@4.2 GHz
GTX 970 Twin Frz V (382.05)
16 GB 2133 Mhz

The game performs beautifully on my rig: 1080p, Very High and I'm in the 90-120 FPS area, silky smooth.

I cannot stand the FoV, too narrow, and the IQ, with its soft and jaggied feel. SMAATX2 is not enough and I cannot even brute foce it through downsampling, since DSR doesn't work. :/

Speaking in general, I'm definitely not a fan of the game's aesthetic.
To me the first Dishonored was (and still is) astonishing.
That painted low poly art thrown at 60+ FPS is face melting.
Prey for my tastes can't hold it a candle: looks generic, anonymous, already seen and it doesn't seem to have the same arwaness when it comes to find a sweet spot between art and tech. It even wastes CryEngine strenghts. Meh.
Hopefully it will look more appealing in next areas.

Combat and user interface, by the way, with K+M feel leagues better than Dual Shock 4.
It's definitely a more enjoyable experience.

ISee

Anyone running this on a gtx 780 ? Considering going this route instead of ps4 pro because of reports of input lag not being fixed.

Good question.
GTX 970s seem to be able to run the game @ 1080p/60/max settings.
In Crysis 3 a 970 isn't much faster then a 780 and Prey is a CryEngine 3 game (afaik), so you should be fine if you reduce settings a bit. At least in theory, because nvidia doesn't optimize their drivers for kepler anymore.

Kadin

To unlock the game early via VPN:

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
1) Download and install FlyVPN (20-minute session limit), TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (no hard limits, but remember to cancel within 72 hours)
3) Connect to a server in Australia, New Zealand or Asia
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

VPN Gate is preferable, assuming there's a relevant server available.
Got VPN Gate installed but don't see a server for any of the 3 countries listed. Any ideas? Help me JaseC, you're my only hope! lol

edit: tried TunnelBear just now and same thing.

60fp@1080p hopefully maxed on 980Ti/3770k possible? Does it run better than Dishonored 2 did at launch?( I know different engine).

Game size? Steam says you need 20GB.

d00d3n

Got VPN Gate installed but don't see a server for any of the 3 countries listed. Any ideas? Help me JaseC, you're my only hope! lol

edit: tried TunnelBear just now and same thing.

I activated the game with a VPN connection through Thailand. South Korea may work as well.

Mifec

Guys, everything is black except for reflections and the outside of the room. Any fixes?

Restart your game. It happened to me when I changed SSR settings for some reason. It will stay at the setting you left it as but won't be black anymore.

Dmax3901

I know it's different engines, but it really irks me that I can run this at 1440p, 60fps on med to high settings on my R9 290, yet Dishonored 2 is still a mess on the lowest possible settings.

A 7700k/980ti does 145FPS at very high/1080p, I think you should be alright https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Prey/4.html

Yes to everything. It runs very well. And install size is 18.2GB.

Seems you're right, steam reviews are saying the same, but that instal size is surprising. I wonder why such a small game. Does it extract later on?

Edit: Bought it. Sigh, I wasn't supposed to seeing as I have a huge backlog, but all the positive impressions got to me, and I have my payment information saved to steam so buying it was extra easy.. :/

I know it's different engines, but it really irks me that I can run this at 1440p, 60fps on med to high settings on my R9 290, yet Dishonored 2 is still a mess on the lowest possible settings.

It is a shame, yeah. Dishonored 1 ran so well. 2 looks unbelievably great at really high resolutions but it is still such a mess performance wise.

Instro

Guys, everything is black except for reflections and the outside of the room. Any fixes?

I thought I read that some people were running unto that after changing graphical settings and a restart fixed the issue. Otherwise check your drivers I guess.

i7 6700
GTX 1080 OC'd
3440x1440
Max Settings

Initial segments ran at about ~65fps, but then I saved, quit to desktop to adjust the FOV in the config the way the devs suggest in the steam discussions thread, then popped back into the game and boom, lowest I've seen it go is about 87fps now, but seems to hover between 95-100fps (highest refresh rate my monitor can do). Feels incredibly smooth too. Wonderful first impression!

Durante

I see it all the time, no matter if the PC version is the "lead" version. Majority of the people just refer to the PC version of any game as "The Port."
That's a pet peeve of mine -- I always try to be very deliberate when using either "port" or "version".

Corpsepyre

Banned
Man, did the 980Ti get gimped or something? Those performances are good and all here, but shouldn't it be more than a 1070?

rtcn63

Man, did the 980Ti get gimped or something? Those performances are good and all here, but shouldn't it be more than a 1070?

IIRC stock for stock, the 1070 is a bit better in some/most games, but the 980ti has more overclocking potential (30%+ increases in performance from what I've read). Whereas Pascal is far from an OC beast due to Nvidia-imposed voltage limits in the bios.

rtcn63

This has to be one of the best-optimized AAA PC games of the generation? A 1060 and 480 getting over 100fps maxed out at 1080p? Nice.

With a modern i5/i7, those two cards can do 100fps+/1080p/High in quite a few recent games. BF1, Doom, etc.

Stoze

Tried it out, plays great. Performance roughly fits the benchmarks posted.

But damn do I hope they add HUD options asap, the button prompts on everything is worse than the objective markers imo. Next in line would be an option for motion blur.

The bench is using an i7 7700K at 4.8GHz and DDR4 at 3000MHz

Heh, I was going to say. 60fps is the sweet spot. I'm sure I can hit that so I'll be happy.

The reason the console versions are much larger is because they have audio in different languages?

I'm getting mostly 60 fps @ 4k on my Titan X (pascal) w/ all of the settings turned to 'very high'.

I have seen a drop or two into the high 40s, but it was momentary and there were a lot of effects on screen.

rtcn63

I'm on a 6700K at 4.2Ghz and 16GB of ram at the same speed. I didn't realize the OC on kaby lake made such a big difference.

4.2 sounds low for a 6700k. I'm seeing reports of 4.6-4.8 on decent air.

EDIT: And if you're not overclocking your 980ti, you're doing yourself a massive disservice.

Top Bottom