• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown has underperformed, only 300,000 players so far

Monokrom

I tried the demo and I'm gonna buy it, but not now. Ubisoft games usually drops in price not long after the release.
I have too much in the backlog anyhow. And Final Fantasy VII Rebirth is not far away.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
It looks like a great game, but I don't know about that price. What was the development + marketing budget of this project?

geary

but sources, who spoke with Insider Gaming under the condition of anonymity
The best get out of jail card these days....Dont need to prove anything, just got "sources"....

Not saying there isnt a seed of truth in all what was said, but come on...

Last edited:
300k for now should be okay for this game. If this is underperforming than expecting more is the problem and similar to Square's Tomb Raider delusions. Not every game can do Mario 2D numbers. Budget for such a game, especially considering the bumpy past of PoP, where practically all games were kinda different, ie artstyle, difficulty, music varying sometimes greatly, and no one knows anymore what the IP wants to be, plus all these already not really selling great, and with competition of a ton of Indie games in that genre for cheaper, that must have to be planned accordingly and they can't expect some millions of sales.

winjer

Gold Member
Also to consider, that this game was released at a time when Ubisoft was burning another bridge with consumers, by saying that we should get used to not owning our games.
And at a time when Ubisoft was closing down all servers for their games, make them unplayable for people who paid for them.
So gamers decided that paying 50$ not to own a game was a price too high.

Zheph

The demo wasn't as good as I hoped... won't budge until I have more freetime and we get a nice -50%

digdug2

Everyone complains about Ubisoft only doing bloated open world garbage and then Ubisoft actually makes a game that’s different, and is awesome, and is well reviewed, and is not full price, and it bombs

We deserve the trash we get

We don't "deserve the trash we get". Ubisoft has pissed away every bit of goodwill they ever had, and now they are actually surprised that they are underperforming? For years I returned to Ubisoft like a neglected spouse. I bought every Far Cry and every AC game for years and also the first Watch_Dogs. It was then that I realized that all of their open-world games have the same bones and they weren't going to change their ways. After buying Far Cry 6, which was for all intents and purposes, a re-skin of Far Cry 5 (with most of their budget probably spent hiring Giancarlo Esposito), I decided that I was not going to buy their games anymore. The new PoP, Avatar, and Star Wars games look cool, but I'm done giving Ubi my money. I just fucking know that we'll be climbing towers in Star Wars: Outlaw to unshroud the map.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Everyone complains about Ubisoft only doing bloated open world garbage and then Ubisoft actually makes a game that’s different, and is awesome, and is well reviewed, and is not full price, and it bombs

Not that I'm a Ubisoft fan and want to defend the company, but that reads quite differently here

In the week from January 15 to 21, 2024, the classic Prince of Persia celebrated a brilliant comeback. The new game Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown not only took the crown in the official German Xbox Series charts, but also snatched the PS5 and PS4 silver medals. The 2D platformer also took sixth place in the Nintendo Switch hit list, making it the most successful new release among console games across all platforms in calendar week 3.

tWfIvoq.jpg

Last edited:

thief183

We don't "deserve the trash we get". Ubisoft has pissed away every bit of goodwill they ever had, and now they are actually surprised that they are underperforming? For years I returned to Ubisoft like a neglected spouse. I bought every Far Cry and every AC game for years and also the first Watch_Dogs. It was then that I realized that all of their open-world games have the same bones and they weren't going to change their ways. After buying Far Cry 6, which was for all intents and purposes, a re-skin of Far Cry 5 (with most of their budget probably spent hiring Giancarlo Esposito), I decided that I was not going to buy their games anymore. The new PoP, Avatar, and Star Wars games look cool, but I'm done giving Ubi my money. I just fucking know that we'll be climbing towers in Star Wars: Outlaw to unshroud the map.
I guess you, never played the Anno series, trackmania , rayman, for honor and all the other games that aren't a copy paste.

This is what I don't understand from the ubisost haters, they are really looking only at the big 3 ignoring all the rest, their motocross game was awesome è so was steep. Ubisoft have a big catalog of games but still we talk about only 3 of them and mock them to be derivative... I mean Farcry 6, having a 6 in the name it's telling something.

Now, every time they make a different game no-one buys it, why should they even try?

digdug2

I guess you, never played the Anno series, trackmania , rayman, for honor and all the other games that aren't a copy paste.

This is what I don't understand from the ubisost haters, they are really looking only at the big 3 ignoring all the rest, their motocross game was awesome è so was steep. Ubisoft have a big catalog of games but still we talk about only 3 of them and mock them to be derivative... I mean Farcry 6, having a 6 in the name it's telling something.

Now, every time they make a different game no-one buys it, why should they even try?
4X games aren't really for me. The Trackmania games are fun, as are the Trials games. When was the last time Ubi made a Rayman game, not counting the Rabbids spin-offs? 2013? Same applies to For Honor. It's 8 years old. I know that they've updated it regularly, but it isn't a game that I want to play for 8 years.

If you looked at my game collection, you'd actually see a lot of Ubisoft games in there. I didn't mock anyone or anything- and sequels don't have to be derivative.

One Ubisoft game this generation that I really enjoyed was Immortals Fenyx Rising. The puzzles wore out their welcome toward the end, but it was a fun game overall.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I don't know why there's so much negativity in this thread regarding the quality of the game. I've heard nothing but good things about it.
It is a great game. You can complain about the art direction, but the metroidvania elements are solid AF. However this should have been 29.99 max. For the record the MSRP in Europe is 49.99€, this is also the price on Amazon, while every other Nintendo first party e.g. Mario Wonder is 44€. The pricing is insane.

Ironically Ubisoft pulled out when Blizzard, Activision, Microsoft and EA went 100% for Steam. Such a dumb decision from a business point of view.
It's a French thing. That and it's a family owned company. Guess they didn't want a family feud and decided (wrongfully) not to do it.

The game is good but the biggest issue I have with it is not the gameplay, which is fine but obviously very derivative of other similar Metroidvania-style games, but the pricing. I thought the £45 RRP was too much for what is an almost indie-like 2D platformer and this is why I bought the game for £30 for PC from a third-party key seller instead. It is a game that probably should have been sold as a budget release for around £25 in my opinion and at that price might have had more sales.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Played the demo. It was fine, but the art style is extremely ugly. Fortnite-y, clay looking characters. Can't play it more.
Well, Fortnite is popular so it should have done well. It's a great game and better than most shit out there. Very polished and extremely fun.

WTF are you even talking about!? Has anyone in here trashing this game actually PLAYED it?!

• Fantastic controls
  • Fantastic combat
  • Dynamic animation system
  • Hyper fluid and responsive traversal
  • Great pacing
  • Interesting mechanics
  • Screenshot map mechanic (thank god)
  • Great bosses
  • Anime as fuck finishing moves and other flair

I can understand if the art style isn't for everyone, but given the scale of the character and the fast and flashy combat, it reads very well. I think a more detailed style would make this game a blurry mess, especially playing in handheld (which I'm doing).

This game is a very complete package and it's obvious the devs have a passion for the genre. As a fan of "Metroidvanias", I am very very pleased and many people that have finished it are touting it as one of the best of the genre.

You guys are acting like Ubisoft is selling their own foil-wrapped turds. This is the first time in almost a DECADE that they've made something of value.

Yall are dumb.

Yep, everyone here is just performative. It’s literally what everyone here pretends to want, single player, 20-ish hours, great gameplay, no stupid politics, no GAAS. But they’ll be lined up for the next dumb cinematic shit show.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
And that’s why Ubi is going to make 10 more AC games… Such a shame.
This always was the reason too. People shit on Conviction and Blacklist and then Splinter Cell died, because purists were too slow to realize they made a fantastic, new version of stealth that was the best in the genre. Prince of Persia (08) bombed also, despite being one of the best entries in the series and a cool new take on the series.

McGILLAZ

Yes x 1000 & this https://www.ign.com/articles/ubisof...ing-their-games-for-subscriptions-to-take-off.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
The game doesn't leave a great first impression. It's fun to play, sure, but I don't think the demo did it any favors. The cutscenes feel like a visual novel, and you can see all the things that had to be cut to get the game in at a low budget.

00_Zer0

Played the demo. It was fine, but the art style is extremely ugly. Fortnite-y, clay looking characters. Can't play it more.
This is one reason I didn't pick it up. I love games like this, but the art style is atrocious to me. With new games coming out everyday to grab gamers attention you have to stand out in all areas. The gameplay might be there, but I'm not forcing myself to buy into and play a game just because it's a critics darling. There are many games I don't end up playing because of art style or aesthetics and this is one of them.

No? This game looks like shit. Why would any Prince of Persia fan want this? I've only ever played Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for about 15 minutes and I can tell you with 100% confidence that if I was an original fan of that game I wouldn't touch this with a 10 foot pole.

For me it would be like if they made a side scrolling Uncharted but replaced Drake with a different person all together. It's shit.

This game is made for people who like side scrollers. Not PoP fans.

Just make a real Prince of Persia game Ubisoft you dumbasses.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

But what was the budget of this game?

JCK75

They made it exclusive to Uplay and Epic Games Store.. .THEY deserve the trash sales they get.

Astray

Gold Member
Will probably buy it as soon as I'm done with Trails to Azure.

Really enjoyed the demo. Also apparently it's still profitable despite "underperforming", which is why more and more devs need to go for loss-prevention rather than big sales.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

Outside of enthusiast circles not many people are interested in a 2D Metroidvania style game. Heck I didn't care much for this kind of game 25 years ago I sure don't care about this genre in tyool 2024.

Nydius

I know I’m just repeating what many others have said but it was the price tag that kept me away. The demo actually made me want the game but the price tag made me wait.

As for Avatar’s numbers, I’m not surprised. The game was pretty mid and didn’t have any of the charm of the movies outside of the occasional visuals. It was just a reskinned Avatar Far Cry with fewer enemy types and less to do.

Blindy

Damn shame, game deserves way more love and people playing. One of the better Metroidvanias I have played. Wish Ubisoft did more with the marketing for this one.

sigmaZ

It is ugly, but damn if it's not one of the best games I've played in years. It's a game game. Light on story and heavy on gameplay.

digdug2

So… A game deserve to die… Because is not on your favorite store?
It's not just that it's not my "favorite store", it's the fact that I have to go out of my way to purchase things in a different ecosystem. I don't want to give money to Epic Games, so that one's out. And it's asinine that I have to start up a whole new account from scratch on Ubi's service just to buy their games.

The games market is working on becoming as bad as streaming services. If I want to be able to watch everything, I have to have a Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, Hulu, Paramount+, Max, Peacock, Apple TV+, and Shudder account.

Now if I want to play everything, I need a Steam, Ubisoft Connect, Epic Games Store, PSN, Xbox Store, and Nintendo Store account. It's so fractured and annoying.

Last edited:
It's not just that it's not my "favorite store", it's the fact that I have to go out of my way to purchase things in a different ecosystem. I don't want to give money to Epic Games, so that one's out. And it's asinine that I have to start up a whole new account from scratch on Ubi's service just to buy their games.

The games market is working on becoming as bad as streaming services. If I want to be able to watch everything, I have to have a Netflix, Amazon, Disney+, Hulu, Paramount+, Max, Peacock, Apple TV+, and Shudder account.
Still not a good reason for celebrate that a really good game is failing…

00_Zer0

Drop the price and let me change the character's hairstyle and I'm in.

Edit: even IGN know what I'm talking about.

It's funny that you mention about the hairstyle, because that was the first thing I noticed that was off putting to me. The overall art style doesn't fit for me either and that's why it's a pass for me.

I'm going to pick it up, but only once it's on Steam.

If you're a publisher and you ignore Steam, I hope the exclusivity cash is worth enough to ignore the largest storefront on the market.

Last edited:
Top Bottom