• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown has underperformed, only 300,000 players so far

Tried out the demo on Switch - seems alright really. Doesn't seem amazing, but I'd be interested maybe at 20 dollars or so. The art style is really ugly.

Filben

Who in their right mind pays 50 bucks for a metroidvania with mobile "charm" to its visuals? Plus, the marketing department again did a video game injustice and thought about the "wrong" audience they targeted with that beats in the trailer. And that audience is accustomed to free to play games or Call of Duty which offers them hundreds of hours of play time. Then you have metroidvania fans who may look pass that but see the price tag. The universal praised and loved metroidvanias aren't that expensive and Ubisoft has a history of offering good discounts soon after release. Avatar is already, close to two months after release 20% discounted.

And this is a shame because it's a fun and excellent metroidvania. But there are conventions you can't break easily (without offering something real outstanding).

Then again, 300k units, if that's true, isn't too bad for a metroidvania for 50EUR.

LastBattle

jpNwLSV.jpg

Phil smells blood in the water. Can’t wait to play on Gamepass soon 😎

Potential reasons:

- Poor marketing: till recently it was not very clear whether this was a remake or a new game, some people got lost in the drama of delays/cancelations.

- Art direction: it looks cheap and uninspired, no matter how good the game is.

-Hollow Knight has spoilt the genre by being better than any other at 20 USD.

Pity.

It’s brilliant. Ubisoft make a great game and then people whinge it’s too expensive. Then they make a shit free to play battlepass game and people whinge about that.
It’s very very possible that the game didn’t cost too much to Bugisoft. Nintendo probably kicked in some marketing money since there are a lot of advertising for the Switch version.

Yet, they charged $50 instead of $30 or $40

Ogbert

It’s very very possible that the game didn’t cost too much to Bugisoft. Nintendo probably kicked in some marketing money since there are a lot of advertising for the Switch version.

Yet, they charged $50 instead of $30 or $40
It’s not just about the raw development cost.

If I’m not mistaken, it’s the Rayman studio, who are exceptionally talented. The movement is brilliant, the combat visceral, the skills interesting and the style grows on you. It’s a good 25 or so hours long.

I just think it’s a pity.

Chastten

Banned
It’s not just about the raw development cost.

If I’m not mistaken, it’s the Rayman studio, who are exceptionally talented. The movement is brilliant, the combat visceral, the skills interesting and the style grows on you. It’s a good 25 or so hours long.

I just think it’s a pity.
Honestly, I wasn't interested in this game beforehand as I'm really not into the usual Ubi stuff. Once I learned it's actually pretty good, I was balls deep into Palworld, Granblue Fantasy Relink and a couple of other games, with lots more coming on the horizon.

At that point, sad as it is for the people who've worked hard on this game, it's a game I would only be buying for the backlog at this moment and since Ubisoft games never go out of stock, and very quickly get discounted, it makes sense to wait for a sale.

Labadal

There are several factors that made me not buy it.

First of all, being an Ubisoft game. Second of all, the style is not my cup of tea. Third, the price is way higher than other games in the genre. I could have looked past that if not for the first two reasons. Fourth, it had terrible release timing.

This year is full of stuff that I want. I got Apollo Trilogy, Like A Dragon Gaiden physical editions deliver from PlayAsia, Like A Dragon: IW, Archaelund.

I have Unicorn Overlord and, Eiyuden Chronicle pre-ordered. A few Kickstarter games backed.

Since it's the Rayman team, I will at least give it a chance at a lower price point.

I've not bought it yet since Ubisoft games are always like 20 dollars a few months after release combined with other games I wanted more releasing around the same time. I will be buying it though.
For the normal person, the artstyle doesn't help if you just see a trailer for the game. IIRC the announcement trailer even had a poor music choice which didn't help.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
£45 for a side-scroller.

Wouldn't be surprised if it sold 4-5x as much if they cut it to £15-20. In turn making a good bit more.

The 300k is likely the people who really wanna play the game or in some cases just have a load of disposable income and will buy anything they're remotely interested in.

But this is the sorta game that does well when people think "ooh, that looks decent, I'll pick it up seeing as it's under 20 quid".

Last edited:

Neolombax

The price doesnt match the product. It could very well be a really well made game, but it lacks presentation, to me at least. The animation looks good, but the art style lacks the details and flourish. My take anyway.

RoboEight

I finished the game 100% and it fantastic. The art style is incredible imo the environments look great, the effects are really cool and just in general its alot of fun probably one of my favorites in the series. Shame not that many people are playing it because it deserves a playthrough.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
I finished the game 0% and it's not fantastic. The art style is not incredible imo the environments don't look great, the effects aren't really cool and just in general its not alot of fun probably one of my least favorites in the series. Shame not that many people are not playing it because it does not deserve a playthrough.

kiphalfton

That price is a hard sell for what is basically a licensed game. I would be happy to spend $50 on a big budget MetroidVania, but this doesn't feel any bigger than Strider 2014. Hell it looks maybe even worse graphically than Strider 2014. I'd take pixels and sprites over the smooth XBLA look that the game has.

I was hoping it did well to encourage other people to invest in the genre, but tbh we're better off with indies. Nothing good comes out of committees and boardrooms.
Go play strider again. It looks like ass.

bender

What time is it?
I finished the game 50% and it was okay. The art style is commonplace imo the environments look average, the effects are really standard and just in general its moderate fun probably one of middle-of-the-road entries in the series. Shame not that many people are playing it because it sort of deserves a playthrough.

Last edited:

Jimmy_liv

Signed up for 1 month ubi+ for £15.

I'm 31 hours kn and close to the end. Absolutely fantastic game. One of my all time favourites.

Ozzie666

I really hope it sells decently on Switch. Even IImmortals Fenyx Rising was decent, but Prince of Persia is far better. Between these titles and Mario vs Rabbids, they really have an audience there. Maybe they should back off some of their AAA/AAAA titles and release more of these titles. Maybe Rayman or something.

Anyhow, this is a _fantastic_ game once you get used to the graphics. Perfect Switch game.

RoboEight

I finished the game 0% and it's not fantastic. The art style is not incredible imo the environments don't look great, the effects aren't really cool and just in general its not alot of fun probably one of my least favorites in the series. Shame not that many people are not playing it because it does not deserve a playthrough.

I finished the game 50% and it was okay. The art style is commonplace imo the environments look average, the effects are really standard and just in general its moderate fun probably one of middle-of-the-road entries in the series. Shame not that many people are playing it because it sort of deserves a playthrough.
What a couple of Goo-fballs. Give the game a goo it's slooper-dooper (slurp).

dorkimoe

Playing it now, game is fucking great. I never was into these types of games, but i think im going to have to find more like this. Highly recommend. Stuck on a boss now though :(

Zuzu

It’s too expensive and the artstyle is rubbish. Also, for a reboot of the series they should have had you playing as the Prince himself not someone else.

sigmaZ

I hate Ubislop as much as the rest, but I really enjoyed this game and only played it for 10 bucks with Ubisoft Plus. I think the biggest thing holding back its appeal is the art direction. It's not too bad in game but at a glance it looks like throwaway kusoge garbage. It's got its faults but it's definitely a game for pwople who like classic gameplay.

dorkimoe

Just bumping this because this game had no real interest to me. Picked it up and am loving it. Game is fucking massive. I have no idea how I’ll go back and find everything but more people should try this.

Now I want more games like this…

What else is similar?

Last edited:

Toons

Gamers always complain about the practices and choices of development for their big projects but the numbers don't lie.

Why WOULD they go for anything else at this point? Even a sucky open world that most of us would complain about for 3 months then move will would do better numbers initially if its attached to a big enough IP

Dazraell

Would have been the perfect Steam Deck game. Big missed opportunity.
I mean, it kinda is as you can run it via Epic or Ubisoft Store thingie or however their storefront is now called and apparently it runs well. But I see your point, they made a huge mistake of not releasing it on Steam

Tams

A platformer has to be really special for me to pay £40 or more on it. Nintendo sometimes achieve that.

Prince of Persia: Lost Crown is not that. I'd pay £20 max and frankly, I already have too many games to play.

Top Bottom