• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown has underperformed, only 300,000 players so far

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I’d probably have bought it by now if it were on Steam. Seems like the perfect Deck game. Alas my initial reaction to it not being on Steam was ah fuck it, it can wait.

Last edited:
I played the demo and thought it was pretty decent, but I’m not gonna pay more than $20 for it because why the fuck would I when Ubisoft games decrease in price so quickly. I’ve got enough shit to play and I don’t need to add more games to my backlog.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

pepe-hey-egowaver7.gif

Dead Cells is waaaaay more Roguelite than it is a Metroidvania. Like...does anyone even call it a Metroidvania?

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
The best get out of jail card these days....Dont need to prove anything, just got "sources"....

Not saying there isnt a seed of truth in all what was said, but come on...
I don't understand why everyone is just accepting the number as absolute truth.

Diddy X

20€ is most I would pay for a metroidvania.

It's clearly the price the reason why it didn't sell more, 300k is still a good number for a solid A game.

Last edited:
If you release a movie, and refuse to put it in Walmart, or on Amazon but instead make it exclusive the the last blockbuster video in the US... yes it deserves to fail.
Thats an Ubisoft corporate decision, the devs that made a great game doesn’t deserve that. If the game is good, i support the devs not the executives of the company, not matter the platform, same for movies.

Ridaxan

I would consider buying it on steam, but I don't mind waiting. It looks stellar though even though it is a bit on the expensive side for this type of game.

JCK75

Thats an Ubisoft corporate decision, the devs that made a great game doesn’t deserve that. If the game is good, i support the devs not the executives of the company, not matter the platform, same for movies.

The Devs are choosing to keep 100% of jack shit over 70% of millions.. sucks for the devs but when those who make decisions play stupid games they win stupid prizes.
and I'm sorry they have to suffer so that some of these idiots will finally learn to return to a normal release on all available platforms.

Played the demo. It was fine, but the art style is extremely ugly. Fortnite-y, clay looking characters. Can't play it more.
This. I love prince of persia. Original, sands of time trilogy and loved the art style from Pop 2008. This yeah, nah, not feeling it.

$60 bones, for a 2d game that is probably not even metroidvania and no steam? Hell no. Should be $50 tops.

Last edited:
The game is in the top 3 metroidvanias I've ever played and probably has the best combat system. The story quality surprised me and I'm loving it. Too many people sleeping on this game but ubisoft recent reputation not helping.
so it is metroidvania? Also why does the new prince not look Persian or like the prince of all the other games? Is he even the prince?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Like it's been said, we're all just guessing here, but my guess would be SIGNIFICANTLY less than 50 million. 5-10 million would be my guess.

OH HECK! If it's that......or even less than $20 million, then this game will be profitable quickly. Nothing to worry about.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
It looked interesting, but it is way too expensive for such a game. 50% off and i will look into it.

Poppyseed

I dont think this game is better than dread.
Dread wasn’t that great, either. I finished it and still found it majorly overrated and some of the mechanics were lame/annoying (like the mini boss things you had to escape from over and over). Hollow Knight is far better, for example. Both Ori games are also way better.

As many others have said in this thread, 300,000 for a 2D Metroidvania should be a very solid start. Metroidvania as a genre only appeals to a certain segment of the gaming population. The most basic of market research would have told Ubisoft as much. Ubisoft just has unreasonable expectations and/or they way over budgeted themselves.

Last edited:
Ironically Ubisoft pulled out when Blizzard, Activision, Microsoft and EA went 100% for Steam. Such a dumb decision from a business point of view.
Especially at a time when steam deck came out. When games were not working because of their damn launchers and uplay they would be like "whelp this guy found a registry fic on this forum follow his advise (thinking of trials Evo in particular) meanwhile the link goes to a 4 page guide that needs linux knowledge. All they have to do is disable uplay in a patch for their older games but they won't. The damn thing isn't even uplay anymore. Gah they frustrate me to no end.

tmlDan

Honestly, the game is too damn expensive imo

Well, in Canada it is, especially for this type of game. It’s a hell no from me unless it’s $20

geary

I dont care, i look at production values of a game in 2024? this game can be made with a team of 10 in an indie studio.

Ubisoft has the resources to charge way less for this. You do know it's $70, right? that's insane.
By that logic any CRPG outside of BG3 would be free....

ungalo

Even if it's a good game, i can't forced myself to play it if i don't find it appealing at all.

I played so many metroidvania these last years, not even counting those i skipped but still checked on, in the end it starts to feel very redundant. A game has to feel distinctive, to be its own thing, and as far as i'm concerned this game has the same problem all of Ubisoft games have on that aspect.

Perhaps someday they'll understand the need to fascinate the player.

Last edited:

tmlDan

You are absurdly undervaluing a game that offers 15+ hours of entertainment, good quality at that regardless of how big of small the company which made it is.
$70. For a side scroller, is insane. Enough said. Why can Hades, run by a small studio, sell it for $33 Canadian. Offers more game time.

None of you presented a good argument as to why its worth it other than "i said so, its valuable"

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Also, this new gen of gamers seem to think 2D games aren't worth full price unless it's Mario or something
They aren't. Mario wonder is also not worth full price.

Nothing against 2d but most games made with it In mind are lower budget. It is an inherently simpler and easier dimension to make games in. Doesn't make the games lesser, but they still ultimately cost less to make.

Interesting that it under performed. I wonder what the budget was for it? 300,000 in a couple of weeks doesn't seem so bad for a Metroidvania style game. Whatever the case, their expectations were clearly fucking wild.

I didn't care for the demo, meh art style and crap VO put me off.

Last edited:

BossLackey

Gold Member
$70. For a side scroller, is insane. Enough said. Why can Hades, run by a small studio, sell it for $33 Canadian. Offers more game time.

None of you presented a good argument as to why its worth it other than "i said so, its valuable"
More game time in a roguelite. A genre where it’s entire premise is starting over and over.

Hmmm I wonder why it’s longer…

Top Bottom