• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney |OT| This reminds me of a lawsuit!

MNC

Oh my GOD
Shades have just been explained.
This is a total mindfck.

And now the epilogue. #dead

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I'm right now at Chapter 9, I think it will be the final trial; I'm really liking everything about this game. I think that the alternance between the two gameplay styules donates to the game a very good pace. Plus, the Layton animated cutscenes are really good as always and the music is top notch
can't wait to find out the mistery behind the story

binhoker

Banned
Just finished this and pretty much enjoyed it. The story shit the bed and the AA sequences weren't quite absorbent enough to clean up the mess but I'll take my pheonix where ever I can get him.

With that said, would you guys recommend the two 3ds layton games? I finished the first layton game and found he second one a proustian drag so I abandoned it a few hours in. If the stories are compelling enough I'd give them a rattle.

Just finished this and pretty much enjoyed it. The story shit the bed and the AA sequences weren't quite absorbent enough to clean up the mess but I'll take my pheonix where ever I can get him.

With that said, would you guys recommend the two 3ds layton games? I finished the first layton game and found he second one a proustian drag so I abandoned it a few hours in. If the stories are compelling enough I'd give them a rattle.

Miracle Mask's story stands well enough on its own without any need to have played the fourth entry.
Of course it's still Layton so expect the Layton touch in said plot.
Really I think of the plot side of Layton games to be an accompaniment to the puzzles and give a setting to things, well you've played the first game so you get how they work so it's up to you really.

I found the second game the weakest of the lot if that's any consolation, if you really want the best Layton for story then its the third DS game that I'd say comes out tops in that department.

Zornica

Banned
I just finished the 2nd trial...(or the 3rd? the 2nd "real" one, not counting the prologue)

And I gotta ask: wtf is wrong with this game? Compared to the light heartedness of the other Ace Attorney games, this one comes of way too seriously. I can't believe how cruel the story got...
Killing Layton AND Maya
??! My heart can't take this any longer

though I'm sure
it was all a dream or something
in the end.

In the midst of the first witch trial. It feels like a very odd game, with elements not present in both franchises, but therefore it comes together pretty nicely. Both Phoenix and Layton seem out of place and therefore belong there. As always, it's simply good fun.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Just finished this yesterday. more than 20 hours (with many puzzles still on the wild); I've really liked the game, I think that the mix was perfect, the story good, the setting itneresting and the new touches to the trials great.
I'm sad that this is the last Layton game I'll be allowed to play, but in any case I've played 7 layton adventures and liked every single title, so I can't complain too much. Now, I hope they'll bring the new AA spinoff to the West...

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Hi! :D
I have a question for anyone that's finished this game (I'm waiting for the Canadian release, still a month or so to go)
So I've finished all the Layton games but I'm WAY behind on Ace Attorney (own all of them but not too far into the series).
Will playing Layton Vs. Ace Attorney ruin the stories of the previous AA games at all? Without spoiling are they closely connected? Or is this a non-canon thing? I would love to play Vs. first then go back through the old AA games but if Vs. spoils the stories I'll wait o_O

OMG Aero

Hi! :D
I have a question for anyone that's finished this game (I'm waiting for the Canadian release, still a month or so to go)
So I've finished all the Layton games but I'm WAY behind on Ace Attorney (own all of them but not too far into the series).
Will playing Layton Vs. Ace Attorney ruin the stories of the previous AA games at all? Without spoiling are they closely connected? Or is this a non-canon thing? I would love to play Vs. first then go back through the old AA games but if Vs. spoils the stories I'll wait o_O
It won't spoil any game from either series, there a few references to characters from previous games but they are very vague references and don't mention any names so it won't spoil anything.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
It won't spoil any game from either series, there a few references to characters from previous games but they are very vague references and don't mention any names so it won't spoil anything.

oh that's AWESOME! thank you so much :D
I don't have time to make it through all of the AA games before this comes out so it's great to hear I can play this then go back to the AA games after! :) :)

MNC

I just finished the 2nd trial...(or the 3rd? the 2nd "real" one, not counting the prologue)

And I gotta ask: wtf is wrong with this game? Compared to the light heartedness of the other Ace Attorney games, this one comes of way too seriously. I can't believe how cruel the story got...
Killing Layton AND Maya
??! My heart can't take this any longer

though I'm sure
it was all a dream or something
in the end.
Have you not played Justice For All?

Zornica

Banned
Have you not played Justice For All?

I did, but I don't see the connection. JFA never got anywhere near as dark.

I also finished the game yesterday and the last case was kinda disappointing (probably because the built up was too good). I'm sure Shu Takumi could've wrote a tighter ending without compromising the story. It felt kinda bloated and there was to much explaining by Layton involved. I'd rather figure stuff out by my own.

(DON'T CLICK UNLESS YOU HAVE FINISHED THE GAME)
At least I can't remember any loose ties, and the explanation was shockingly realistic

VegiHam

I did, but I don't see the connection. JFA never got anywhere near as dark.

I also finished the game yesterday and the last case was kinda disappointing (probably because the built up was too good). I'm sure Shu Takumi could've wrote a tighter ending without compromising the story. It felt kinda bloated and there was to much explaining by Layton involved. I'd rather figure stuff out by my own.

(DON'T CLICK UNLESS YOU HAVE FINISHED THE GAME)
At least I can't remember any loose ties, and the explanation was shockingly realistic
Well, it IS a Layton game. That's how they end, it's sorta tradition. Not necessarily good, but tradition.

So, I went to the eShop yesterday. I was planning on checking out Shovel Knight or Shantae or something. I was greeted by an ad which caught my interest.

...this game comes out THIS FRIDAY?! I don't think I would've known about this if I hadn't gone and checked!

So this comes out in North America on Friday. Are we going to be using this OT? I'm just afraid of reading something I don't want to read.

Anyone else excited? There's been little to no buzz about this NA release.

Hikami

So this comes out in North America on Friday. Are we going to be using this OT? I'm just afraid of reading something I don't want to read.

Anyone else excited? There's been little to no buzz about this NA release.

I'm excited, love the Ace Attorney series, haven't played any Professor Layton games though.

RetroMG

I was going to hold off on picking this up since it and Danganronpa 2 come out so close together, but I'm breaking on it. Anyone know what the eShop price on this is likely to be? I'm getting money in my wallet now.

My copy shipped yesterday, so I might get it by tomorrow.

I don't know if I want to play it before DanganRonpa 2 though. Hmmmmmm...

I was going to hold off on picking this up since it and Danganronpa 2 come out so close together, but I'm breaking on it. Anyone know what the eShop price on this is likely to be? I'm getting money in my wallet now.
Last I saw on the eshop it was still listed as TBD. I'll check again.

edit: Yup, still listed that way. Weird.

Zolbrod

Finished the JP version a while ago and absolutely loved it.
I was fully familiar with the Layton games but had never played any AA game before, and this is a great place to start.

Even in hindsight (having played most of the AA games now), replacing AA's dreadfully boring investigation sequences with Layton's more enjoyable puzzle romps, while preventing the usual puzzle burnout I always suffer in the second half of each Layton game, makes this just the perfect game in both worlds for me, even if neither side ever gets as good as the best moments in their respective series.

It ends up being more than the sum of its parts, IMHO.

Top Bottom