• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Progress: The Great American LOST Re-Watch Thread *SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Mah boy Sawyer has an awesome introduction.

14ya6bs.jpg

1zd9dw1.jpg

Sawyer is fucking awesome; not because he's had Kate, Juliet and Ana Lucia, not because he "shot a damn bear", not because he's killed three others... but because his very first speaking lines in the entire damn show are

CHARLIE: Might be monkeys. It's monkeys, right?
SAWYER: Sure it's monkeys. It's Monkey Island.

chase said:
I stopped watching about 5 episodes into the second season. Flashbacks and purposeful avoidance of answers (despite logical character behavior indicating otherwise) had me alternately sighing in boredom and rolling my eyes. I'll leave the thread now. Glad you guys enjoy it so much.

Suit yourself.

Anyways, right now, I have it like this :

Seasons :

S1 = S4 > S5 > S2 >>>> S3

Favorite episode of each season :

S1) Walkabout
S2) Live Together, Die Alone
S3) The Man Behind the Curtain
S4) The Constant
S5) The Incident

Live Together, Die Alone is still my favorite finale. I would say that season 2, while lagging in some parts, had the best opening and best beginning. The opener with Desmond in the hatch was just brilliant...maaaaake your own kind of music, maaaake your own special soooong, maaake your own kind of music, even if nobody else sings alooong.

Favorite Characters :

1) Ben Linus
2) John Locke
3) Sayid
4) Desmond
5) Jack

Based my characters on a rough sum of everything : Story, personality, centric episodes, and level of involvement in plots that I find interesting. Longevity plays a factor by default. For instance, there's awesome characters like Mr. Eko and Faraday that would probably have made the cut had they been around longer (It's a damn shame about Eko, I hear that the producers had rather large plans for him).

Maybe this rewatch will change things.

Zeliard

chase said:
I stopped watching about 5 episodes into the second season. Flashbacks and purposeful avoidance of answers (despite logical character behavior indicating otherwise) had me alternately sighing in boredom and rolling my eyes. I'll leave the thread now. Glad you guys enjoy it so much.

It's mystifying as to why you think anybody would care.

neoism

I just love the first shot of the pilot, with Jack in the jungle. If the the CGI was up to movie standers, you think the whole pilot was a movie!

It's only funny how all the actors sound different!:lol I guess it's because there all 5 years younger!

neoism

Kyoufu said:
Okay will do. I just hope it doesn't go from "Lost" to "Lost Interest", if you know what I mean.
I'll tell you right now, if you do lose interest easily, there will be some episodes that will do that for you in season 2! Getting to watch them one after the other is the best way ever, and your fucking lucky. Enjoy the ride!

neoism

BenjaminBirdie said:
I think I might...buy it...in HD.....off XBLVM.

Is that crazy? I have a feeling I'm going to end up just buying episodes one at a time. Oh, dear. I at least want to have the Pilot. Then we'll see afterwards. But I figure I can just keep deleting them to make room. Not like they'll ever not be mine and available for redownload if the mood strikes.

Damn.

Someone talk me out of this expensive craziness. (But see, all spread out like that...it's not that bad...is it?)
0_o
Goddamn BB if you bought every episode on XBL, it be 400+ dollars!:lol :lol :lol

neoism

Magnus said:
This is an awesome idea. I'm in.

So the pilot episode never really had its own title? Or was it actually Pilot? :) Which would be nice and suggestive. :p
Will the "pilot " did get killed in it!:lol :lol

neoism

ahoyhoy said:
Holy shit. I was just looking at the Lost Episode List. This show is literally hemorrhaging viewers. With every episode it looses around a hundred thousand followers. Hopefully there are a shit load of people tuning in online that we aren't aware of.
Will basically the people that watch now are the true fans, it's also the number one download show, and also the most pirated!

LOL, enjoying yourself?

neoism said:
0_o
Goddamn BB if you bought every episode on XBL, it be 400+ dollars!:lol :lol :lol

Not to mention that none of the gaming companies have really come out and stated how ownership of the things we download this gen are going to work next gen.

I wouldn't be surprised if those episodes he downloads are tied to the 360 only, and if he has to buy again for Xbox Next.

Unless I missed the memo.

Cronen

This is a great idea! I was thinking about rewatching the show from the start this morning, and then I see this thread! Even though the thread title says 'Great American Re-Watch', I'll be taking part regardless! :D

Liara T'Soni said:
LOL, enjoying yourself?

Not to mention that none of the gaming companies have really come out and stated how ownership of the things we download this gen are going to work next gen.

I wouldn't be surprised if those episodes he downloads are tied to the 360 only, and if he has to buy again for Xbox Next.

Unless I missed the memo.

Yeah, I didn't do it. It looked perfectly fine on the DVD.

pix

I think I am going to wait until the blu-rays come out. Re experiencing the first 2 seasons in HD will be amazing.

senahorse

Pilots on the NAS locked in for viewing.

edit:
pix said:
I think I am going to wait until the blu-rays come out. Re experiencing the first 2 seasons in HD will be amazing.

I was going to do the same but I figured I would just pick them up near the end of the first season.

LCfiner

OK, I'm going to do this but I'm waiting for the Blu ray releases in mid june. but once I get my mitts on those, it's going down!

Shiggie

McBacon said:
Mah boy Sawyer has an awesome introduction.

http://i41.tinypic.com/14ya6bs.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/1zd9dw1.jpg

Sawyer is fucking awesome; not because he's had Kate, Juliet and Ana Lucia, not because he "shot a damn bear", not because he's killed three others... but because his very first speaking lines in the entire damn show are

CHARLIE: Might be monkeys. It's monkeys, right?
SAWYER: Sure it's monkeys. It's Monkey Island.
Woah, I didn't notice that. He's awesome. *Swoon*

Ceres

Banned
I already sold my DVDs (yeah, I know NBC.com) and refuse to start watching them until I receive my blu-rays of s1&2. I'll catch up later.

JayDubya

Banned
Yeesh.

The amount of lore and number of supporting characters at this point for this show is intimidating.

But. I may as well. I've been meaning to get caught up, which means watching seasons 2-5 for the first time.

pix

Yeah, it really is. I can't think of another show that has so much background and history all tied into it so well. It's remarkable that something like this is on commercial TV.

Tim-E

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Wait, is the final season beginning Jan 12 or do we still not know?

Since they signed the deal for the last 3 seasons, season 4 started on January 31st and season 5 started on January 21st. This is just assuming that season 6 will start at the end of January, and since it has the same number of episodes as season 5, it should.

Ceres

Banned
JayDubya said:
Yeesh.

The amount of lore and number of supporting characters for this show is intimidating.

From the man defending Wheel of Time ;)

Assuming you haven't watch Lost, it's a great show and honestly isn't THAT hard to follow. Maybe it helps that I always watch the previous season just before the new one starts but I'm always baffled at people complaining how confused they are about what is going on.
There's certainly a lot of stuff there if you want to explore that but you don't really need to know all the references to philosophers, religions, and general history. It's more an added dynamic for fanatics and it's great if you're into rewatching shows to see just how many things you missed the first time around. And if you ever are really confused, lostpedia.com is a great resource. Though you'll probably want to avoid character sections since they're now filled with spoilers for s1-5 but the specific episode pages should be pretty safe.

neoism said:
I'll tell you right now, if you do lose interest easily, there will be some episodes that will do that for you in season 2! Getting to watch them one after the other is the best way ever, and your fucking lucky. Enjoy the ride!
Agreed, the middle of season 2 is the only significant stretch of poor episodes for Lost. I think if there were any time for people to lose interest it would be during this time. However the beginning and end of that season were great.

Tim-E

flm53r.jpg

For some reason I really liked this last shot from the credits in the episode. We see Locke, who we eventually learn has been a pawn in Facob's loophole from the very beginning. :(

JayDubya

Banned
Ceres said:
From the man defending Wheel of Time ;)

Well, if I had known what I was getting into when I had started Wheel of Time, I would have been intimidated! :lol

I also had a lot more free time back then.

StuBurns

Banned
Tim-E said:
http://i39.tinypic.com/flm53r.jpg[IMG]

For some reason I really liked this last shot from the credits in the episode. We see Locke, who we eventually learn has been a pawn in [B]Facob's loophole from the very beginning[/B]. :([/QUOTE]
Has he? My understanding is he was dead before Facob did anything to him. Beyond saying 'help me'.

Tim-E

pollo said:
Jin's a dick in these first few episodes.

He really is. Although I guess that's why he was brought to the island in the first place.

Has he? My understanding is he was dead before Facob did anything to him. Beyond saying 'help me'.

I'm guessing the Jacob we saw in the cabin was Facob from the beginning, so everything involving that was just leading him along. Along with any interactions he had with people like Christian. Since Jacob did touch him, he probably had good intentions for him on the island, but Facob jumped in and took advantage of an oppertunity.

Ceres

Banned
stuburns said:

Well, some people think that Locke's whole "the island told me" was simply Faucke* manipulating him the entire time.

*that's the name I went with instead of Facob

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
stuburns said:

Well, you got the whole "Fake Locke" telling Richard to tell Locke he has to die. It puts the thought into Locke's head, which eventually leads him down that path.

It's also possible he introduced the notion of Locke becoming "leader." Since that now seems like a result of the time loop. Others meet Locke in the 50's (he says he's their leader, by Jacob), disappears. Others keep track of him, wait for him to show up. He does in 2004, but doesn't know of his involvement yet. Locke is eventually told he's the next leader (who told him, btw? Never seemed Official or Obvious.) He's about to take on his role as Leader, BOOM Time travel. Loop starts.

Even Richard, talking to Jack this last episode, mentions that there doesn't seem to be anything special about Locke.

StuBurns

Banned
Lonestar said:
Well, you got the whole "Fake Locke" telling Richard to tell Locke he has to die. It puts the thought into Locke's head, which eventually leads him down that path.

It's also possible he introduced the notion of Locke becoming "leader." Since that now seems like a result of the time loop. Others meet Locke in the 50's (he says he's their leader, by Jacob), disappears. Others keep track of him, wait for him to show up. He does in 2004, but doesn't know of his involvement yet. Locke is eventually told he's the next leader (who told him, btw? Never seemed Official or Obvious.) He's about to take on his role as Leader, BOOM Time travel. Loop starts.

Even Richard, talking to Jack this last episode, mentions that there doesn't seem to be anything special about Locke.
I guess because I just assumed Ben decided who was going to take over from him none of that other stuff really mattered to getting Ben to kill Jacob.

Richard was in communication with Jacob, seems odd Jacob would tell him to have Locke take over if he knew Facob was fucking with him.

TheExodu5

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I think I might...buy it...in HD.....off XBLVM.

Is that crazy? I have a feeling I'm going to end up just buying episodes one at a time. Oh, dear. I at least want to have the Pilot. Then we'll see afterwards. But I figure I can just keep deleting them to make room. Not like they'll ever not be mine and available for redownload if the mood strikes.

Damn.

Someone talk me out of this expensive craziness. (But see, all spread out like that...it's not that bad...is it?)

Don't do it.

Save your money for the entire series on Blu-Ray when it comes out! Maybe get an episode or two, but I don't think redownloading episodes (since you'll run out of space) when you want to watch again will be any fun.

Until then, torrent if you must.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Stub, it's probably why they tested him throughout his youth. The "which of these items is yours" and the science fair/high school thing. Jacob might not have been YES, YES HE IS THE ONE, but he becomes a person of interest, because hey...he's from the future. That's a nifty trick.

Ceres

Banned
stuburns said:
I guess because I just assumed Ben decided who was going to take over from him none of that other stuff really mattered to getting Ben to kill Jacob.

Richard was in communication with Jacob, seems odd Jacob would tell him to have Locke take over if he knew Facob was fucking with him.

Do we know exactly when they last were in contact with Jacob though? Jacob's group said he hadn't been in the cabin in a long time and someone else had been using it. And it didn't seem like Richard was contacting him while Ben was leader as he didn't seem to realize that Ben had never actually met him.

Tim-E

Ceres said:
Do we know exactly when they last were in contact with Jacob though? Jacob's group said he hadn't been in the cabin in a long time and someone else had been using it. And it didn't seem like Richard was contacting him while Ben was leader as he didn't seem to realize that Ben had never actually met him.

Initially I thought that Richard may have been in contact with Facob at the cabin this whole time, but he knew where Jacob actually was, so that throws that idea out the window. Plus, since it seems like Richard arrived on the island when the Black Rock did, I'm sure he knows who's Jacob and who isn't.

fistfulofmetal said:
What time would this be happening on these days or is it just watch the episode that day and talk about it?

There isn't a set time to watch every episode, but BB said if someone wanted to jump into the thread and see if anyone wanted to watch it at the same time as other people, then that would be cool.

StuBurns

Banned
Ceres said:
Good point, there's a chance Richard hasn't spoken to Jacob in a very long time, the last time we know for sure was Ben's healing I think. But I don't get why Richard knew he was in the foot and Ben didn't. Even if he'd been pretending to speak to him, Richard must have told him where to go to speak to him right?

Ceres

Banned
Tim-E said:
Initially I thought that Richard may have been in contact with Facob at the cabin this whole time, but he knew where Jacob actually was, so that throws that idea out the window. Plus, since it seems like Richard arrived on the island when the Black Rock did, I'm sure he knows who's Jacob and who isn't.

Well, Richard probably does know what he looks like as Jacob made him the way he is and that probably meant he was regularly contacting him at some point. However, it seems only the leader of the Others is supposed to ever speak with Jacob. If Ben never saw him, and Locke was the new leader, Richard may not have personally spoke to him for several decades (1954 was the last time we can assume he was THE leader). By 1977 we assume Widmore is the leader. Maybe Ben was never supposed to be leader but Richard assumed Jacob wanted him to be based on people from the future trying to save him.

StuBurns

Banned
Ceres said:
Well, Richard probably does know what he looks like as Jacob made him the way he is and that probably meant he was regularly contacting him at some point. However, it seems only the leader of the Others is supposed to ever speak with Jacob. If Ben never saw him, and Locke was the new leader, Richard may not have personally spoke to him for several decades (1954 was the last time we can assume he was THE leader). By 1977 we assume Widmore is the leader. Maybe Ben was never supposed to be leader but Richard assumed Jacob wanted him to be based on people from the future trying to save him.
In the seventies Eloise is the leader, Rich said it in the finale. Presumably she leaves the island to have Faraday, Charles becomes the leader till in the nineties when Ben takes over.

In the seventies though, Richard did say to Charles that Jacob said to save Ben.

Part 1 of the Pilot is done :D

Man its been a while but it brings back so many memories. It's interesting to see how different these characters are in the beginning. Kate seems much older and world weary while Jack actually seems much younger and far more bold. I just watched the S5 finale a couple of days ago but I'm already finding it hard to believe how far the show has really come from a plot perspective while watching just how much more grounded the show was from the get go.

Tim-E

Ceres said:

I don't think Ben was ever supposed to lead. Jacob seems as if he sees that everyone can be good, while Smokey/Facob obviously thinks that people are nothing but corrupt. Ben did a bunch of really awful shit like kill everyone in the Dharma Initiative, let his daughter be murdered, etc. and these were things that Smokey probably wanted him to do, while Jacob didn't like any of it. It is probably because of things like this that Ben was able to get cancer in the first place, because he was never supposed to lead.

StuBurns

Banned
I actually think Facob might be the good guy.

Jacob wanted them to kill the DI and move into the barracks, and UnLocke said it was something he didn't think the island would want. Now knowing he was Facob at the time seems to imply Facob didn't support the murdering of the DI.

If Jacob wants people to be randomly slaughtered, and Facob doesn't, I don't think the good/evil thing is going to be so clear cut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom