• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Progress: The Great American LOST Re-Watch Thread *SPOILERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBuccCP

I thought it was said that Richard regularly visited Jacob while Ben was leader, but Ben never got to see him. Can't remember the exact line.

I'm thinking Richard took Ben to the cabin a few times, but never let him actually go in.

Ceres

Banned
stuburns said:
In the seventies Eloise is the leader, Rich said it in the finale. Presumably she leaves the island to have Faraday, Charles becomes the leader till in the nineties when Ben takes over.

In the seventies though, Richard did say to Charles that Jacob said to save Ben.

I missed that line :-/ (may rewatch the episode this weekend).
I wonder how much of this will be significant in s6. It seems to me like the entire timeloop may potentially all be part of Faucke's attempt to make a loophole to kill Jacob. I kind of doubt that's the way the show is going but it could be an interesting twist.

Tim-E

stuburns said:
I actually think Facob might be the good guy.

Jacob wanted them to kill the DI and move into the barracks, and UnLocke said it was something he didn't think the island would want. Now knowing he was Facob at the time seems to imply Facob didn't support the murdering of the DI.

If Jacob wants people to be randomly slaughtered, and Facob doesn't, I don't think the good/evil thing is going to be so clear cut.

When was it said that Jacob authorized the purge?

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
stuburns said:
In the seventies Eloise is the leader, Rich said it in the finale. Presumably she leaves the island to have Faraday, Charles becomes the leader till in the nineties when Ben takes over.

In the seventies though, Richard did say to Charles that Jacob said to save Ben.

Ah, but the thing is, did he have enough time to converse with Jacob about it. Jacob didn't mention anything about a boy coming in injured, he just showed up because of Kate and Sawyer. It's very possible he never talked to Jacob about it, and just said something to ease the mind of Widmore. But then, who knows. This is just off of observation.

Another thing, when Richard opens the foot, he doesn't go in, mentions only "one" leader can go in, and tells Locke/Ben to tell him "Hi" for him. That's the kind of thing someone says if they haven't seen that person in awhile.

Tim-E

stuburns said:
It's not expressly said. But Jacob is in charge of the Others, and they move there. Seems like he wanted it.

Maybe this was during the time we referenced to earlier where Richard may have had no contact with Jacob? Given Jacob's attitude, I can't imagine him authorizing the murder of a shitload of people.

StuBurns

Banned
Lonestar said:
Ah, but the thing is, did he have enough time to converse with Jacob about it. Jacob didn't mention anything about a boy coming in injured, he just showed up because of Kate and Sawyer. It's very possible he never talked to Jacob about it, and just said something to ease the mind of Widmore. But then, who knows. This is just off of observation.
This could be true, but if Eloise was the leader she could ask Jacob and if she found out Rich lied that could lead to trouble. Richard even said he doesn't answer to either of them.

This is a big leap in logic maybe, but possibly Richard was the leader at that time, but in a translational state, and Eloise is the leader in those few days. But that seems odd timing.

Also, Ben said Richard is an advisor and has been on for a long time.

Tim-E said:
Maybe this was during the time we referenced to earlier where Richard may have had no contact with Jacob? Given Jacob's attitude, I can't imagine him authorizing the murder of a shitload of people.
Quite possibly Richard wasn't in contact with Jacob, but Charles should have been at that time.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Ah, but if Ben's been the leader, and possibly since...1992?? That would be 12 years or so, right? And he's never seen Jacob? Told to be patient? What would be the difference between him and Ellie? Or Widmore? Were they told to be patient as well??? Did they ever really see him either?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Jack's acting during this dural Sack scene completely sells himself as an actor and invests the audience in his story. Just perfect.

StuBurns

Banned
Lonestar said:
Ah, but if Ben's been the leader, and possibly since...1992?? That would be 12 years or so, right? And he's never seen Jacob? Told to be patient? What would be the difference between him and Ellie? Or Widmore? Were they told to be patient as well??? Did they ever really see him either?
Maybe they were born on the island. Ben lied to the Others claiming to have been born on the island. Maybe the reason for this is only natives are meant to lead the Others.

You could be right though. It could be that no leader has ever really spoken to Jacob. I don't know why Richard didn't tell unLocke he was wrong when he said no one had ever seen Jacob.

I don't get who was telling Ben to be patient if he was the leader, I assumed he meant before he took over he was told that.

Only the leader can come to Jacob, but Jacob can go to whoever he wants probably.

Tim-E

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Jack's acting during this dural Sack scene completely sells himself as an actor and invests the audience in his story. Just perfect.

Definitely. Matthew Fox has always one of my favorite actors on the show.

j8fptw.jpg

Tim-E

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Charlies gets the first two fade-to-commercial enders. COINCIDENCE??!?!?!

I think the writers have SOMETHING planned involving Charlie next year. I don't think they'd have the Drive Shaft ring and the guitar case be as featured as they were if they weren't going to do something with it.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Locke's face after Kate disapproves after his orange smile.:lol :lol

:lol :lol

gdt

JayDubya said:
Well, if I had known what I was getting into when I had started Wheel of Time, I would have been intimidated! :lol

I also had a lot more free time back then.

Just a note, you should definitely catch up-its the best show on TV, but leave RIGHT NOW.

We are watching and discussing everything with all five seasons in mind. This thread has already become majorly spoilerific for you.

TheExodu5

Banned
Do we know that Jacob truly can time travel?

One thing in particular strikes me: everyone he visited was in the 1970's. It's possible Richard told Jacob about them and he went to visit them later on. The only Lostie from the future he did visit was Sun, but Jin was with her, so that could be a coincidence. We don't know if he brought Locke back to life either (may just be misdirection).

All in all, he doesn't seem very different from Richard to me.

I'm still thinking Jacob is Ben's father. That would explain why Richard was so keen on keeping Ben safe.

Tim-E

TheExodu5 said:
One thing in particular strikes me: everyone he visited was in the 1970's.

Not true. He visited Hurley in 2007 and Locke around 2000. When he visited Kate it was probably sometime during the 80s (hence the New Kids on the Block lunchbox).

I don't think he's traveling through time either, though.

Edit: Disregard this shit.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
TheExodu5 said:
All in all, he doesn't seem very different from Richard to me.

We all assume Richard is just a normal human being who can't age. He's still scared of stuff and probably can be hurt.

If Jacob is the same as Richard, which is a normal, ageless, human being, then why would he let himself get stabbed by Ben? Why would he be so calm while dying?

StuBurns

Banned
SephCast said:
We all assume Richard is just a normal human being who can't age. He's still scared of stuff and probably can be hurt.

If Jacob is the same as Richard, which is a normal, ageless, human being, then why would he let himself get stabbed by Ben? Why would he be so calm while dying?
I don't think Jacob is anything like Richard. Richard said Jacob made him non-aging. There's nothing to suggest Richard has any special powers beyond his aging.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
Sidenote:

Should we have a set time where GAF watches the episode? The discussion seems garbled when we're all posting comments about different parts of the episode.

Tim-E

SephCast said:

Jacob doesn't seem to force anyone to do anything, he simply gives them a push, like the whole Apollo Bar with Jack thing. He said that Ben had a choice, and he didn't want to influence that choice so Ben could make it himself.

TheExodu5

Banned
stuburns said:
I don't think Jacob is anything like Richard. Richard said Jacob made him non-aging. There's nothing to suggest Richard has any special powers beyond his aging.

Maybe Richard is Jacob's son as well!

I'm really pushing it now...but maybe Ben is ageless as well. :lol

Regardless, I still think Ben is Jacob's son.

gdt

To sephcast

I'll be watching at 2.pm. (eastern) so... just under an hour.

Gotta make breakfast/lunch first ;p.

StuBurns

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
Maybe Richard is Jacob's son as well!

I'm really pushing it now...but maybe Ben is ageless as well. :lol

Regardless, I still think Ben is Jacob's son.
I think Richard is going to be someone from the Black Rock that 'proves' Facob wrong.
Hence why he's rewarded with eternal life.

What was the captain's name? Did they say it at the auction for the diary? Is it the name they called Richard at the end of the finale?

StuBurns

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Did Jacob touch Sun? Because this voids that whole theory in that case.
He touched them both at the wedding, I think so at least. Seem to remember him pushing their shoulders so they stood closer together.

Tim-E

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Showing the body upon them reflected in the water is one of the best camera angles ever.

The camerawork in the pilot is wonderful. Abrams should direct the series finale.

Diablos54

I know once I start I'm not going to be able to stop until I finish the whole thing. :lol I guess I better prepare not to do anything but watch LOST for the next few weeks... :D :D

Tim-E

Diablos54 said:
I know once I start I'm not going to be able to stop until I finish the whole thing. :lol I guess I better prepare not to do anything but watch LOST for the next few weeks... :D :D

I think this re-watch is great because we're not hammering it in all at once. It gives us time to talk about shit at a steady pace instead of going over the entire series all at once. Plus, I'm pretty busy, but I can squeeze three episodes a week into my schedule without a problem.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Do you wanna know a secret, Walt?

I'm gonna become the leader of the others and then push a donkey wheel and end up in tunisia and then bomb the russians, and then get killed, and then get ressurected as Facob and kick a guy into a fire.

Tim-E

McBacon said:
Do you wanna know a secret, Walt?

I'm gonna become the leader of the others and then push a donkey wheel and end up in tunisia and then bomb the russians, and then get killed, and then get ressurected as Facob and kick a guy into a fire.

God this show is awesome.

Diablos54

Tim-E said:
I think this re-watch is great because we're not hammering it in all at once. It gives us time to talk about shit at a steady pace instead of going over the entire series all at once. Plus, I'm pretty busy, but I can squeeze three episodes a week into my schedule without a problem.
That is a damn good point, you know what, I'll try it. Let's see if I can hold myself back for long enough.

Tim-E

Diablos54 said:
That is a damn good point, you know what, I'll try it. Let's see if I can hold myself back for long enough.

:D I was kind of tempted to continue and watch the next episode after the pilot last night, but I'll hold back. It's more fun.

Tim-E

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Man, Shannon is bloody well annoying with this insistence on a rescue coming.

I think a rescue boat should have arrived, but it would only have enough room for one person and they only would have enough fuel for one trip, so they would take Shannon and never return.

JBuccCP

Just watched the first five minutes or so, some thoughts that came to mind.

-Jack was in some thick ass bamboo. I think a lot of people have theorized that he flashed there, like what happened on the 316 flight and I'd have to agree. If he fell or was thrown into that mess he would have been impaled in 10 different ways.
-If Jack had woken up just a few minutes later Rose probably would have died, maybe that guy who was being crushed as well. Since we know from that mobisode that Christian told Vincent to go to Jack, that makes it seem like Christian is good. I'm not really convinced Christian is smokey/facob. I think he might just be making sure everyone gets to where they need to be.
-Poor Boone, always trying to help and always screwing it up.
-Claire is like the hottest pregnant chick ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom