• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Progressive rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Between the Buried and Me, Colors 10th anniversary tour - https://twitter.com/btbamofficial/status/864510774810742784

C_5Fp-5UwAA4vr9.jpg

Yeah the choppy structure doesn't work. Reminds me of that other album where you were supposed to be able to rearrange like 40 tracks to create a different experience. Forget the name of the band but it was like 7 or 8 years ago

Beyond Twilight?

The band with one great album with a super classic song, one "meh" album that just happens to have Jorn in it, and one that happens to be one of the most pretentious ideas on the planet.

Has anyone here listened to Witherfall's debut album, Nocturnes & Requiems? It came out back in February, but it's been staying pretty solid as the current top candidate for my personal Album of the Year.

It's some top notch neoclassical prog metal. Think "Nevermore meets King Diamond meets Savatage with a dash of Pink Floyd thrown in for good measure."

RDreamer

Haken just announced their first ever Australian tour!

So happy, they became my go to prog act once Dream Theater became shit

Really unfortunate, that. Honestly I thought ADTOE was fucking awesome and hoped that meant they'd really put out some good shit but it seemed that was just a crazy fluke. Their new album could be alright if it was cut down to like 70% of the playtime and used all the good ideas, but as-s, it's a weird bloated unnecessary mess.

jviggy43

Haken just announced their first ever Australian tour!

So happy, they became my go to prog act once Dream Theater became shit
Such an amazing band and they put on a killer live performance. They played pretty much everything I wanted to hear, outside of celestial elixir.
Gandalf's Fist's last release The Clockwork Fable, an epic 3 cd no less says hello :p

This cd was a lot of fun. I need to give it a relisten.

Manu

Really unfortunate, that. Honestly I thought ADTOE was fucking awesome and hoped that meant they'd really put out some good shit but it seemed that was just a crazy fluke. Their new album could be alright if it was cut down to like 70% of the playtime and used all the good ideas, but as-s, it's a weird bloated unnecessary mess.

I still believe there's a good hour or so of music in The Astonishing.

It didn't need to be almost two and a half hours long.

Jethro

For all Tullies, the 40 th Anniversary Edition of Songs From The Wood is again a real treat. Mixed by Steven Wilson and Jakko Jakszyk.

"The first disc of the set contains the Steven Wilson remix of the original studio album, accompanied by associated recordings. This includes the tracks “Old Aces Die Hard” and “Working John, Working Joe” which are being released here for the first time on any format. “Old Aces Die Hard”, a title Ian Anderson recently gave the track in a subtle nod to Motörhead’s Lemmy Kilmister, is, according to Ian “an extraordinary find, because it’s a long piece, and quite evolved, and one that sounds like it is pretty much complete"

Complete Overview of the 5 Disc Set

51JQxS43VKL.jpg

platakul

Banned
Beyond Twilight?

The band with one great album with a super classic song, one "meh" album that just happens to have Jorn in it, and one that happens to be one of the most pretentious ideas on the planet.
Haha yeah that's the one!

Gandalf's Fist's last release The Clockwork Fable, an epic 3 cd no less says hello :p
Those are full songs and spoken word bits tho. For Love of Art and the Making is like... snippets of songs or something

NotLiquid

Steven Wilson just released another new track from his next album. Only a sample is on YouTube but you can find the full track on streaming/digital services.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4faLjo-pzc

I'm kind of surprised by this song to be honest. It sounds like it could've been a poppy cut from mid-era Porcupine Tree and the In Absentia days. Not a style I expected him to revisit.

RDreamer

Steven Wilson just released another new track from his next album. Only a sample is on YouTube but you can find the full track on streaming/digital services.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4faLjo-pzc

I'm kind of surprised by this song to be honest. It sounds like it could've been a poppy cut from mid-era Porcupine Tree and the In Absentia days. Not a style I expected him to revisit.

Dammit, can't seem to find it. It's not on spotify and I dunno what the fuck Deezer is. I also don't have google play.

New song from Steven Wilson - The Same Asylum as Before
It's good. Wasn't too sure at first. Very rock.
Heh, looks like I was beaten to it. Damn 12 hour shifts!

Roger Water's new album is out today and up for streaming already too.

Some good weekend listening.
Need a lyric sheet. Some surprisingly melodic songs (for Waters anyway). Some very hard. Surprisingly sparse production in places. Kinda' reminiscent of Animals and The Final Cut but not very Floyd, just a bit. Needs another listen.

RDreamer

Finally got the new Wilson to play (probably needed to go up in the US). I'm really loving it. Definitely has a Stupid Dream/Lightbulb Sun-ish sort of vibe in a way.

King Crimson is in Spotify albeit with only one album, 2016's "Radical action to unseat the hold of monkey mind. Hoping todo see something like "Cirkus" soon.

RDreamer

New Elder is great. Found them with Lore and they really keep the pedal to the metal with the new one, too. Not sure if I like it better or not, but it's good.

I've listened to The Optimist a few times and at first it didn't do a ton for me. It felt kind of b-sides-y in a way. It's grown on me quite a bit with a few listens. It definitely doesn't touch Weather Systems, but I don't think much would. I think Anathema's just a victim of having such an amazing discography that even a really solid release can feel a bit of a let down.

New Roger Waters is pretty addicting and good. On one hand there's a lot of callbacks to previous albums and melodies he's used throughout his life, so it doesn't really feel new or anything. At the same time it's pretty well put together, emotional, and biting as only Roger is capable of. Overall it hits a mood closer to The Final Cut than almost anything else he's done.

New Elder is great. Found them with Lore and they really keep the pedal to the metal with the new one, too. Not sure if I like it better or not, but it's good.

I've listened to The Optimist a few times and at first it didn't do a ton for me. It felt kind of b-sides-y in a way. It's grown on me quite a bit with a few listens. It definitely doesn't touch Weather Systems, but I don't think much would. I think Anathema's just a victim of having such an amazing discography that even a really solid release can feel a bit of a let down.

New Roger Waters is pretty addicting and good. On one hand there's a lot of callbacks to previous albums and melodies he's used throughout his life, so it doesn't really feel new or anything. At the same time it's pretty well put together, emotional, and biting as only Roger is capable of. Overall it hits a mood closer to The Final Cut than almost anything else he's done.
Have The Optimist in 5.1 blu-ray. Not had a chance to play it. I've listened to some (MP3 stereo) and I like it but as you say Weather Systems makes it hard to beat.

Waters album is a mix of old and new, new mainly due to producer Nigel Godrich (didn't know he did the score for the film Scott Pilgrim which I like though many do not). He has brought a more contemporary feel yet it is structurally and conceptually a Waters album through and through. Tracks like Bird in a Gale I would never have expected to hear on a Waters solo album even though it still retains something of the essence of his work. Picture That is probably the most Floydy but the whole album sounds somewhat more physical if that makes sense. As if little in the way of hi-tech equipment was used.
I think it'll be a little divisive. Some will not like it much (there are no guitar solo's for example but then neither did Radio KAOS which I like) others will connect instantly to the message and content of the album. But that's okay. I don't think Waters has ever been interested in simply making a record that is simply a pastiche of his other albums. Concepts maybe be the same or similar but all his solo work is surprisingly different.
I still think Amused to Death is his best solo album.

Entropia

No One Remembers

I didn't even realize that was coming out... I gave the first two songs a quick listen and they were quite good! Looking forward to listening to the entire thing later this weekend.

Manu

Listening to it right now and almost done with a first listen. Obviously it will take time to form a true opinion but on first listen I like it more than Distant Satellites but less than Weather Systems.

That's good enough for me. Gonna give it a spin later.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Sad to see that Steven Wilson stopped working with 2/3 of the Aristocrats, not gonna get a pair of hired musicians that are so in tune with themselves and perform on an unbelievable individual level as Marco Minneman and Mr. Govan.
Drum and guitarwork will take a hit on the new album for sure.

Funnily enough Joe Satriani also hired 2/3 (drums and bass) for his world tour to great effect.

RDreamer

Sad to see that Steven Wilson stopped working with 2/3 of the Aristocrats, not gonna get a pair of hired musicians that are so in tune with themselves and perform on an unbelievable individual level as Marco Minneman and Mr. Govan.
Drum and guitarwork will take a hit on the new album for sure.

Funnily enough Joe Satriani also hired 2/3 (drums and bass) for his world tour to great effect.

It's sorta sad but at the same time I'm excited Wilson is back on guitar. I liked Govan for a few albums, but Wilson always knew the perfect notes for his songs and they all felt super distinct in a way Govan didn't quite get to for me. Technically amazing guy but not as in tune with the tracks as Wilson can be.

Besides I don't think this album is going to be quite as guitar oriented as others have been anyway. Govan might have gotten real bored.

Have The Optimist in 5.1 blu-ray. Not had a chance to play it. I've listened to some (MP3 stereo) and I like it but as you say Weather Systems makes it hard to beat.

Weather Systems is like one of my top 10 all time favorite albums.

Manu

Halfway through The Optimist and I'm digging it so far, but I feel that after a really strong start the overuse of mellow, piano-based Lee-fronted songs is back in full force, and I got tired of them two albums ago. But yeah, I like this better than Distant Satellites already.

NotLiquid

I get the strong impression that people who've been wanting Steven Wilson to go back to writing poppier tracks a la Insurgentes and mid-era Porcupine Tree are probably going to gravitate towards this album heavily based off of the three recent tracks he's put out. Even the least poppy track he's released so far, Pariah, has a radio-friendly structure.

NotLiquid

Apropos Steven I had no idea he actually returned to Blackfield as a full collaborator and had the time of day to put out Blackfield V.

Easily their best album since Blackfield II and a huge redeemer after the previous two albums were such letdowns.

RDreamer

Apropos Steven I had no idea he actually returned to Blackfield as a full collaborator and had the time of day to put out Blackfield V.

Easily their best album since Blackfield II and a huge redeemer after the previous two albums were such letdowns.

V was a big letdown for me, too, though. Hearing SW was mostly back had me hyped for I or II levels and it just does NOT compare to those at all. Probably better than DNA and IV, though.

jviggy43

As a self professed prog connoisseur, IMO, Karnivool is the best band in the world right now in the genre (I love Porcupine Tree and Tool but Karnivool wins it) . Between the Buried and Me is prog metal so they don't count :p

Good starter for you:

Mind blowing live set by them - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g6S6J2oAsJw

So last time they came to the states, I went to check out the headlining band Fair to Midland. Drove like 6 hours to see that show. When I got there, it was a small bar, and maybe 15 people. Watched a full set from Karnivool with about 15 other people haha. It was amazing.

Really excited to get their new cd. Their last cd was kind of, not what I expected haha.

mhanna49

Neo Member
New Anathema deluxe came in so it gets to be the centerpiece until the new SW.

Nice collection and display!

I have yet to the listen to the new Anathema beyond the first two songs. My only Anathema reference is Weather Systems and the songs seem alright. The three Steven Wilson songs from To The Bone have been in rotation on my Spotify and I am really enjoying them. Song Of I sounds similar to his cover of Prince's Sign O The Times which I really liked. The only prog releases I'm anticipating right now are Tuesday the Sky (Jim Matheos from Fates Warning side project) and the Misplaced Childhood deluxe reissue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom