• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Progressive rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with the way Steven Wilson's been going about releasing his new album. I'm a big fan so it's a little more important to me than other artists who've been doing this for years.

He's been putting out a new song every couple weeks and we're up to five now. He always talks about taking in his music in the form of an album. That's one of the reasons he always disliked streaming services - because people are picking and choosing songs in whatever order they want, and not getting the "album experience."

I'm old school and I listen to albums, not songs. Especially for someone like Steven Wilson. So what he's doing now is counter to all of that.

So now I've got five songs, not even released in the same order that they'll play on the album, and not released at the same time. A stronger person than me would just not listen to any of them until the whole album is available, but why should I feel guilty about listening to these songs one at a time when the artist himself is the one encouraging it? He's constantly posting on Facebook (of all places) about the songs, interviews, reviews of the album, etc. Why did he start this promotion so early? If the album was finished that long ago, why did we need to wait until August 18th?

Why the hell was he putting out a song back in May for an album that was still three months away? I don't know why with him it bothers me more than other artists but it does. Seems really hypocritical. Maybe he's just accepted that's the way the music business is now, but it still seems pretty weak.

I don't like the idea of an album coming out, and I've already heard half of the songs on it.

RDreamer

I have a problem with the way Steven Wilson's been going about releasing his new album. I'm a big fan so it's a little more important to me than other artists who've been doing this for years.

He's been putting out a new song every couple weeks and we're up to five now. He always talks about taking in his music in the form of an album. That's one of the reasons he always disliked streaming services - because people are picking and choosing songs in whatever order they want, and not getting the "album experience."

I'm old school and I listen to albums, not songs. Especially for someone like Steven Wilson. So what he's doing now is counter to all of that.

So now I've got five songs, not even released in the same order that they'll play on the album, and not released at the same time. A stronger person than me would just not listen to any of them until the whole album is available, but why should I feel guilty about listening to these songs one at a time when the artist himself is the one encouraging it? He's constantly posting on Facebook (of all places) about the songs, interviews, reviews of the album, etc. Why did he start this promotion so early? If the album was finished that long ago, why did we need to wait until August 18th?

Why the hell was he putting out a song back in May for an album that was still three months away? I don't know why with him it bothers me more than other artists but it does. Seems really hypocritical. Maybe he's just accepted that's the way the music business is now, but it still seems pretty weak.

I don't like the idea of an album coming out, and I've already heard half of the songs on it.

I think there's a few factors for this. One, he's obviously succumbed to the reality of the music industry as it currently exists. His shit is on spotify and other streaming services now.

Two, he's always had at least a few singles. Not as much as this, but that's the reality of selling an album. You need to get people excited. Throughout his solo career he's usually had like 2-3. He probably threw in a few extra because it's a bit different form what he has been doing and he wanted to give people a better taste rather than just throwing out Pariah and Permanating or something and calling it a day.

And three, he's always been a pretty big fan of pop music and pop music has always had singles. The pop bands he loves still made good records as a whole, though. He's said he really idolizes those artsy pop rock bands he used to listen to and he'd be lying if he said he didn't want to be a bit of a pop star, so it makes sense to emulate that even more now.

And I guess four, because why not have more reasons: This is a new record label. He's probably operating on very different advice. This is the biggest most mainstream label he's ever been on, too. I'm guessing he's just like 'yeah, do what you do' and they're trying to make it happen.

Is Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind from King Crimson is new on Spotify?
I hope all their album will be avalaible soon.

It's newer and got on spotify not too long ago. Hopefully it means Fripp is softening, but I'll believe it when I see more. Still can't even use album cover pics on last.fm for fuck's sake...

Radical Action is awesome as hell though

LORANT92

To The Bone is now out on Spotify and all the other usual places.

Permanating sticks out like a sore thumb, but other than that it's a solid album. Not as good imo as Hand Cannot Erase but Ninet is ridiculously good on both Pariah and Blank Tapes and I really liked People Who Eat Darkness and Detonation.

Gala

The Hirsch Effekt released their new album Eskapist today. If you like heavy and technical stuff combined with a lot of feeling, I can only recommend them. Also for fans of The Dillinger Escape Plan.

RDreamer

I love the new SW, Permanating included. I honestly don't think it sticks out like sore thumb especially if you consider most of his other albums. There's always some tracks on there that are kinda different. The album reminds me most of Stupid Dream era PT and that had Piano Lessons which was kinda different. He's always got some track that's kinda different. I do think its place on the album is a bit wonky.

But yeah, aside from the discussion of Permanating, the rest of the album is awesome. The title track is fucking great with the harmonicas. Nowhere Now kinda passed by me on first listens but now I love it, too. Same Asylum as Before is one of my absolute favorites since it was released. Loved Pariah, too. Refuge is an absolutely emotional highlight. Detonation is great as a track but thematically it doesn't seem to fit the music that much. That's my one complaint.

Song of the Unborn is a good closer though it's not quite as good as some of his other closers.

Overall I really love the album, and I really appreciate this direction he took now.

Jotthah

I have the same problem with streaming services.
An album has to be seen as a complete work, weak tracks and all.
I do listen to the new songs but I'm thinking it will ruin the album for me because all I will be thinking is "oh it's that song from facebook" and not see it in the context it was made to be seen in.

And as i write this I'm listening to the The Pineapple Thief discography (well the part I own) on shuffle...feels bad haha

I dig To The Bone more than Hand Cannot Erase honestly. It definitely has it's own identity compared to the former (which I thought was too derivative of his work and modern prog as a whole).

I'd kill to see this album get some cross-over success.

btags

I love the new SW, Permanating included. I honestly don't think it sticks out like sore thumb especially if you consider most of his other albums. There's always some tracks on there that are kinda different. The album reminds me most of Stupid Dream era PT and that had Piano Lessons which was kinda different. He's always got some track that's kinda different. I do think its place on the album is a bit wonky.

But yeah, aside from the discussion of Permanating, the rest of the album is awesome. The title track is fucking great with the harmonicas. Nowhere Now kinda passed by me on first listens but now I love it, too. Same Asylum as Before is one of my absolute favorites since it was released. Loved Pariah, too. Refuge is an absolutely emotional highlight. Detonation is great as a track but thematically it doesn't seem to fit the music that much. That's my one complaint.

Song of the Unborn is a good closer though it's not quite as good as some of his other closers.

Overall I really love the album, and I really appreciate this direction he took now.

My only problem with Permanating is where it is placed in the album. Some could argue that they like it, but I find it odd that it is right after refuge. Even if there was a tiny bit more of silence separating permanating from refuge I think I would like the placement a bit more, but the way it is now it goes from super emotional song to super poppy song (I like the song on its own, so I am not saying poppy is bad) and it feels a little odd to me.

My only problem with Permanating is where it is placed in the album. Some could argue that they like it, but I find it odd that it is right after refuge. Even if there was a tiny bit more of silence separating permanating from refuge I think I would like the placement a bit more, but the way it is now it goes from super emotional song to super poppy song (I like the song on its own, so I am not saying poppy is bad) and it feels a little odd to me.

I mean it's not that much odder than some of the song placements on Peter Gabriel's SO (which was kinda the vibe Steven was going for).

RDreamer

Yeah I pretty much agree with that.

e_i

The new Steven Wilson album came today. Thoughts? I listened to the first four songs and it's great.

Edit: Ah, I see you guys already have thoughts.

Harmen

I really like the album. Surprising for me, as I definitely prefer his more rock (and prog) infused music over his pop/80's orientated songs (looking at his career troughout Porcupine Tree, Blackfield, and solo material). Wasn't that hyped for it, though I liked the previously released songs enough. But hearing the album as a whole, I definitely dig it.

I dig To The Bone more than Hand Cannot Erase honestly. It definitely has it's own identity compared to the former (which I thought was too derivative of his work and modern prog as a whole).

I'd kill to see this album get some cross-over success.

Hand. Cannot. Erase. is my favourite album by him, but I agree it is more in line with his preceding work. But to me it is the cultivation of his career, one that uses all the elements I love about his music put in the perfect places.

jviggy43

The Hirsch Effekt released their new album Eskapist today. If you like heavy and technical stuff combined with a lot of feeling, I can only recommend them. Also for fans of The Dillinger Escape Plan.

Thank you for this suggestion. Tis awesome

Dan-o

I listened to the new Steven Wilson three times today. I love it. All of it. It's up there with Raven for me, for different reasons.

dLMN8R

Man I really love To The Bone. So happy with Steve Wilson's solo output! I still yearn for a Porcupine Tree reunion - especially with Gavin Harrison - but this will do too.

jambo

Has anyone been able to find anything quite like Elder?

All of the recommendations on various music sites and wikis are always a little off.

Such a unique sound.

Just scored tickets to see King Crimson in October.

All of the recommendations on various music sites and wikis are always a little off.

Such a unique sound.
I've tried to find stuff like them and it's pretty tough. I think they've just added so many influences into their music that you're probably not going be able to find anyone quite like them.

Did find something pretty cool though.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wVZuDS1C5e0

RDreamer

Such a unique sound.

This band I found the other day, DVNE is kinda close.

Elder is a pretty unique combination though. It feels like a throwback to Black Sabbath but they add on enough that it still feels fresh. There are a lot of modern stoner rock bands that kind of fit the mood. You've got shit like Pallbearer, Baroness, Sleep, a bit of Mastodon or Intronaut can hit that sort of mood, too. Like you said, though, they are a little off.

Such a unique sound.

They remind me a bit of Mastodon meets Hum (and somehow greater than the sum of their parts). I've been listening to this album almost non-stop since its release. Can't wait to see them in October.

Ixion

I would check out Somali Yacht Club if you like Elder. They've only put out one album a few years ago, "Sun". Really good album that has a similar vibe to Elder.

Here's the first song "Loom".

LORANT92

Leprous has released Malina today. I like it quite a bit more than The Congregation - Mirage in particular is great.

Also, Deadwing and In Absentia are back on streaming sites.

Ristifer

Every song on Malina has underwhelmed me thus far. I'm still interested in hearing the whole album, but I'm not too optimistic at this point.

Man I really love To The Bone. So happy with Steve Wilson's solo output! I still yearn for a Porcupine Tree reunion - especially with Gavin Harrison - but this will do too.
Yeah. I'm enjoying it too. The songs generally have strong melodies and are quite hummable. Sure some seem up-tempo and 'poppy' though I disagree they are. I do hear early 80's synth rock/pop of Peter Gabriel and Tears for Fears in some songs like Refuge. And the production quality is excellent. In fact I ordered the 5.1 Blu-ray because I liked the album so much. Maybe I'll try and snag some tickets when he tours.

Anyone else get an estimated delivery date of 9/4 for the TtB Blu-ray from Amazon? Wtf?
Is that Amazon US or UK? My UK Blu-ray was dispatched to arrive on Sunday (tomorrow) on Friday night.

jambo

After listening to most of the new Steven Wilson album, I'm getting huge 80s Gabriel and 90s Floyd vibes from it, which for me is a good thing.

Pleasantly surprised.

Completely missed that Arena put a new album in 2015

Seems like a great return to form from the last one in 2011, which I found to be pretty meh.

Good news then! They've started writing the follow up. So for you it won't seem as long between albums! Clive Nolan must be one of the most hard working, under appreciated keyboard players in (prog)rock circles. Apparently one of his nightmares is appearing on stage at the wrong time with the wrong band with the wrong set of music!

Manu

After listening to most of the new Steven Wilson album, I'm getting huge 80s Gabriel and 90s Floyd vibes from it, which for me is a good thing.

Pleasantly surprised.

I'm really enjoying the album but it's probably the first Wilson album that didn't really surprise me in any way. Still hell of an album though.

lazygecko

Welp. Just noticed IQ are playing here in October. Tickets aren't too expensive either compared to what I've payed before. I almost never go to concerts but I guess I'll take this opportunity.

Listening to Renaissance now - don't think I'll ever get sick of them, and man it's like fine wine - gets better with age and all that. I still remember being just shy of 17 and getting Ashes Are Burning and being introduced to folk music and female vocalists in rock at the same time after a year of the usual classic progressive rock bands things like that.

They're touring around the east coast this October - four dates they have an orchestra and I might see about going. Annie is still great for being over 70 and her band, despite the sore lack of Jon Camp is top notch. Saying that, Jon Camp was the person who made me love the bass guitar. Chris Squire made me look for it but Jon plays the Rick like no other... great stuff guys. Check that out if you haven't.

RDreamer

I grabbed my tix for the Steven Wilson show in Milwaukee. Pretty damned expensive. It's the most I've ever paid for a SW/PT concert and the furthest back I'll be. Still excited.

Really hoping Ninet is coming with. Otherwise not sure how he'll do the female vocals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom