• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Progressive rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolips

I never thought I'd see the day, but Kings Crimson's «Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind» is on Spotify ( and probably Tidal and Apple Music as well). The sound quality is amazing.

jambo

I've listened to the new Elder a bunch this week, alongside Lore, and I have to say that the new album is decent, but no where near the previous heights they've hit.

It might be that Lore is just so fucking fantastic.

A little LTTP, but anyone getting around the latest one from Disperse?

I fucking love it. Prog metal that's laden with pop sensibilities in all the right ways. Stupidly catchy, yet wholly unpredictable and brilliantly executed.

Being the "single" of the album, the track below is a bit more straightforward than the rest, but it gives you a good glimpse into their sound.

Tether

A new Caligula's Horse concept album titled "In Contact" is to be released on September 15th.
More details and a short teaser

This sounds fantastic. Great style and Bloom was a solid album.

X-Frame

Not sure if this has been posted already, but this blew me away ..

Arch Echo | Arch Echo

For fans of Plini, Sithu Aye, Owane, David Maxim Micic

https://archecho.bandcamp.com/album/arch-echo

0010258173_10.jpg

Ristifer

I fucking love it. Prog metal that's laden with pop sensibilities in all the right ways. Stupidly catchy, yet wholly unpredictable and brilliantly executed.

Being the "single" of the album, the track below is a bit more straightforward than the rest, but it gives you a good glimpse into their sound.

Tether
Disperse are awesome. I loved Living Mirrors, and I think Foreword is even better.

He's been trying to break into pop pretty much his whole career, but I don't think he's ever had a charting single. Contrary to popular opinion, writing serviceable pop is actually extremely difficult, and a ton of beloved prog/metal/othersubgenre musicians initially struck out trying to make it in pop and 'settled' for the somewhat easier and more forgiving subgenre audiences. So, if he's expecting to win over the pop fanbase with songs like this one, he's likely in for an extremely rude awakening.

Hilariously, he spent the first half of his career trying to divest himself of the prog label because he thought it would ruin his chances with the pop fanbase he wanted to cultivate, and really only accepted it when he realized prog fans were the only people who cared about his records one way or the other.

RDreamer

He's been trying to break into pop pretty much his whole career, but I don't think he's ever had a charting single. Contrary to popular opinion, writing serviceable pop is actually extremely difficult, and a ton of beloved prog/metal/othersubgenre musicians initially struck out trying to make it in pop and 'settled' for the somewhat easier and more forgiving subgenre audiences. So, if he's expecting to win over the pop fanbase with songs like this one, he's likely in for an extremely rude awakening.

Hilariously, he spent the first half of his career trying to divest himself of the prog label because he thought it would ruin his chances with the pop fanbase he wanted to cultivate, and really only accepted it when he realized prog fans were the only people who cared about his records one way or the other.

You make it sound a lot more deliberate than it probably was. I think the guy just likes pop and likes prog and has those sorts of song styles floating in his head. He's always written with some sort of mixture of the two either separately in different projects or together.

Tether

Holy shit! Did not know there was a new Disperse album. I need to visit this thread more often.
Jakub Zytecki is a monster guitar player.

Been really digging the new Anathema album. Those guys write some extremely heart-tugging stuff.

You make it sound a lot more deliberate than it probably was. I think the guy just likes pop and likes prog and has those sorts of song styles floating in his head. He's always written with some sort of mixture of the two either separately in different projects or together.

I guess I'm a lot more cynical about public figures that unabashedly support settler colonialism. I've been listening to his stuff since Up The Downstair, but my perspective on him changed hugely when he negged critics of the occupation. Talk about lacking human decency.

For anyone old enough to remember or anyone wanting some classic (well, fairly classic) British prog there's a new CD/Blu-ray and vinyl release of Marillion's Misplaced Childhood. The stereo and 5.1 remix is by Steven Wilson and the Blu-ray has video footage and other stuff too. Amazon link

RDreamer

I guess I'm a lot more cynical about public figures that unabashedly support settler colonialism. I've been listening to his stuff since Up The Downstair, but my perspective on him changed hugely when he negged critics of the occupation. Talk about lacking human decency.

When did he say something about that? I used to listen to a ton of his interviews but honestly he's a bit more of a douche than I like and I'd rather keep worshipping him musically rather than thinking about that sort of stuff. It doesn't surprise me that he would support that crap, considering how many Israeli friends he has, how often he's there, and how he really just seems to love the country. I can't really blame you, though, if he did say something like that. His music should be pretty separate from that, though. Unless he starts writing lyrics praising the settlers or something then that cynicism about his dumbass opinions shouldn't really color his work.

When did he say something about that? I used to listen to a ton of his interviews but honestly he's a bit more of a douche than I like and I'd rather keep worshipping him musically rather than thinking about that sort of stuff. It doesn't surprise me that he would support that crap, considering how many Israeli friends he has, how often he's there, and how he really just seems to love the country. I can't really blame you, though, if he did say something like that. His music should be pretty separate from that, though. Unless he starts writing lyrics praising the settlers or something then that cynicism about his dumbass opinions shouldn't really color his work.

I guess I can't just separate the art from the artist when apartheid is involved. I stopped listening to a fair number of metal artists that had ties to white supremacy, too, after years of being oblivious to their leanings.

Well, if you're looking for interviews etc - Google search
I think part of it must stem from their own inflated opinions of their own impact on the world. Because really, who gives a shit if Annie Lenox or Brian Eno boycotts Israel? The politicians don’t and the population at large doesn’t – that’s another sign that the influence of pop music is dissipated. People don’t have the kind of influence they used to. Nobody really cares if Roger Waters boycotts Israel.
- From the first search result.

It's also on YouTube now: Permanating.

I dunno, I don't dislike pop but the song doesn't do that much to me.

Like most Steven Wilson singles, they usually always sound better within the context of a whole album.

Arch Echo | Arch Echo

0010258173_10.jpg

Discovered them recently on my Spotify's Discover Weekly playlist. Consider me sold!

RDreamer

Well, if you're looking for interviews etc - Google search
- From the first search result.

You actually highlighted the least bad part of his answer. The part before and after are both much worse. He seems to act like he has no fucking clue why people would boycott it at all and that it's somehow because they think Israel is too religious?

Arch Echo | Arch Echo

0010258173_10.jpg

Thanks for the heads up, it's always nice to discover new artists.

However, while I'm just listening to this and obviously I need some time to digest it, I have to say that after three tracks, I'm not impressed at all. It sounds awfully similar to Plini and Sithu Aye (hell, it's like all three of them use the same keyboard's patches/effects).

Not really a fan of people sounding like carbon copies of another ones.

It's also on YouTube now: Permanating.

I dunno, I don't dislike pop but the song doesn't do that much to me.

Steven Wilson is a music legend and one of my favorite people in the world so he's free to do whatever he wants. But my God this song sucks balls. However, it's amazing how his stuff always sounds pristine. The sound of the keyboards here is fucking awesome. It's an extremely well produced bad song.

It did make me want to listen to some ELO. ELO was fucking awesome.

Ristifer

I love the new Wilson song. Simple and to the point. It's catchy as hell, too. The best part is that the album seems like it's going to have a good variety of styles. I've loved Wilson's work, but his last three albums have pretty much exhausted the progressive rock formula (with damn good results, I should add). So, I'm on board with him mixing it up a bit more than usual.

I've loved Wilson's work, but his last three albums have pretty much exhausted the progressive rock formula (with damn good results, I should add). So, I'm on board with him mixing it up a bit more than usual.

That's very true, Grace and Raven are stunning works but Hand Cannot Erase showed some signs of stagnation. I'm there day one on the new album because while I didn't like the new song, I loved the sound of it. His works always sound crystal clear and I love that.

Ristifer

That's very true, Grace and Raven are stunning works but Hand Cannot Erase showed some signs of stagnation. I'm there day one on the new album because while I didn't like the new song, I loved the sound of it. His works always sound crystal clear and I love that.
So true. Even if you don't like Wilson, his albums are just wonderful to listen to because of the sound.

You actually highlighted the least bad part of his answer. The part before and after are both much worse. He seems to act like he has no fucking clue why people would boycott it at all and that it's somehow because they think Israel is too religious?
Oh certainly but I didn't really want to go off topic. It was literally just a pointer for anyone who wanted to know what's what to take a look at the links provided.

Not sure this is the right thread for this, but I was checking out William Tyler's (of Lambchop and he played in a Silver Jews album as well) first album Behold the Spirit and it's pretty fucking good. I'm a huge fan of american primitivism and I'm sad that the genre kind of died lately, but this is the best stuff I heard since Jack Rose was still alive and Six Organs of Admittance was still good.

I'd recommend this to anyone looking to check out some absolutely astonishing guitar playing.

Quite enjoying the new Steven Wilson record, some of it reminds me of Lightbulb sun era PT mixed with his pop influences (Kate Bush, Talk Talk, Tears for Fears).

His falsetto in The Same Asylum as Before is pretty cringey though.

I do kind of wish he'd go back to the King Crimson worship stuff of Raven though.

Trailer for David Gilmour - Live at Pompeii film, one night only in theaters Sept. 13

https://youtu.be/OuhTtHJM588

As expected, looks fantastic.

Damn. That looks great. I actually went to Pompeii and was in that very stadium just a few months ago. They actually had an entire exhibit there dedicated to the Pink Floyd concert.

Imagine what it would be like being one of the backing musicians they get to play on tour? I can't imagine how it must feel to work with a legend like that.

The Atlantic: Prog Rock Is The Whitest Music Ever

Horrible article that comes across as a punk purist's douchy soapbox.

I'mma read this live and roast the living shit out of the author on my next program Monday.

I saw Fantano's video on this. lol jesus fucking christ what an awful article. Like we get it, its not the author's cup of tea but to completely dismiss the genre makes it hard for me to take it serious at all.

Spotify has The Claypool Lennon Delirium's _Lime and Limpid Green_, a EP of four of the progressive song covers they played on tour last year. I'm really digging their version, particularly Les' amazing bass. It has "Astronomy Domine", "Boris the Spider", "The Court of the Crimson King", and "Satori".

Zarovitch

Spotify has The Claypool Lennon Delirium's _Lime and Limpid Green_, a EP of four of the progressive song covers they played on tour last year. I'm really digging their version, particularly Les' amazing bass. It has "Astronomy Domine", "Boris the Spider", "The Court of the Crimson King", and "Satori".

I like it too and there's the new song The Seven from Primus that song good too.

Is Radical Action to Unseat the Hold of Monkey Mind from King Crimson is new on Spotify?
I hope all their album will be avalaible soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom