• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Progressive rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireblend

Banned
ElyrionX said:
Found two of the songs from the new Dream Theater album on youtube:

A Rite of Passage

A Nightmare to Remember

I like A Rite of Passage a lot.
Those two have been available for a while now. I don't know, they don't do much for me, remind me way too much of Systematic Chaos (although they're definitely an improvement) and I generally dislike the direction they're taking with their music.

In other news, the new dredg album leaked a while ago and it's brilliant, IMO.

I would have to say AJFA was by far Metallicas most progressive out of all of them and Death Magnetic can be considered progressive in its on way as well.

Lot of pretty good prog bands releasing albums this summer. Anubis Gate just released their newest one and its pretty sweet, Spheric Universe Experience has a new one next week and I think DT's is coming out very soon. Good summer for prog metal. :)

JimmyV

Banned
Man, I really love these music recommendation threads! I also love my job! We have a music server, and I was was suprised to find about 90% of the music listed here!! I'm adding 5000+ songs to my iPod :)

a lot of it is because my iPod got fucking nuked somehow, so everything taht was in needs to go back in :(

and how the fuck does the server NOT have Iced Earth or Dream Theater? They have Manowar and NOT Iced Earth or Dream Theater >:0

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Some website accidentally gave away the cover tracks from the special edition of Dream Theater's new album. I'd be kind of mad if I was Roadrunner. :lol

Rainbow - Stargazer

Queen - Tenement Funster/Flick of the Wrist/Lily of the Valley

Dixie Dregs - Odyssey

Zebra - Take Your Fingers From My Hair

King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two

Iron Maiden - To Tame A Land, which was already released on the "Maiden Heaven" tribute album. It's an awesome cover though.

JimmyV

Banned
NameGenerated said:
Some website accidentally gave away the cover tracks from the special edition on DT's new album. I'd be kind of mad if I was Roadrunner. :lol

Rainbow - Stargazer

Dixie Dregs - Odyssey

Iron Maiden - To Tame A Land, which was already released on the "Maiden Heaven" tribute album. It's an awesome cover though.

:D , when does the album come out again?

Also, did their Master of Puppets thing ever get a CD release? Speaking of which I'm kinda suprised their not covering a Met song.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
June 23rd.

I have the MoP cover album, it's good but the lack of a 2nd guitar and Labrie's vocals hurt it a bit. The NotB album is a much better fit. You can get them here.

BioHazard

NameGenerated said:
June 23rd.

I have the MoP cover album, it's good but the lack of a 2nd guitar and Labrie's vocals hurt it a bit. The NotB album is a much better fit. You can get them here.

Yes! I love the NotB cover album. I have MoP and DSotM but haven't listened to them yet.

JimmyV

Banned
NameGenerated said:
June 23rd.

THANKS!!!! I didnt even know they did NotB!! BYAAHHH!!!!

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Fireblend said:
Those two have been available for a while now. I don't know, they don't do much for me, remind me way too much of Systematic Chaos (although they're definitely an improvement) and I generally dislike the direction they're taking with their music.

Me too. I can still remember when Dream Theater's heaviest song was The Mirror. :lol

EDIT: uhh... listening to the first minute of Rite of Passage and... are you serious, Dream Theater?

*looks forward to the new Transatlantic album*

Sandman42

NameGenerated said:
Some website accidentally gave away the cover tracks from the special edition of Dream Theater's new album. I'd be kind of mad if I was Roadrunner. :lol

Rainbow - Stargazer

Dixie Dregs - Odyssey

Rainbow!
If James LaBrie can pull off a decent Dio, that will be awesome. The Zebra track looks like it will be good too.

Sandman42

I like the new DT tracks. A Nightmare to Remember has some good riffs and the mellow part in the middle is awesome. The blastbeat near the end came out of nowhere, but it works. A Rite of Passage has a catchy chorus but the verses aren't great.

D

Deleted member 21120

Unconfirmed Member
Sandman42 said:
I like the new DT tracks. A Nightmare to Remember has some good riffs and the mellow part in the middle is awesome. The blastbeat near the end came out of nowhere, but it works. A Rite of Passage has a catchy chorus but the verses aren't great.
It's good music by any standard. But I'm just not into heavy metal and they're straying too far in that direction. I've followed them for forever and their last three albums (minus some parts of SC) are starting to sound really metal-generic, and way unlike what they used to be - melodic progressive. The theme-led orchestrations we heard in Metropolis: Part 2 are gone for good, replaced by 7-string metal chords and Malmsteen solos. Which I can definitely appreciate from a technical perspective, but... I prefer my music to be more melody than noise (edit: right after I typed that, I heard a car-crash sample in Rite of Passage... :lol )

Fireblend

Banned
Must admit I'm curious about the DT King Crimson cover. Pretty sure if they pull off those well enough it will be my favorite part of the album. I had already listened to the Maiden Heaven tribute and it was ok.

Seeing as my favorite Dream Theater album is Train of Thought, these two songs sound right up my alley. I think they're better as a Prog Metal band than a Prog Rock band.

Also @ Cocopjojo: DT has always had "Malmsteen solos".

ElyrionX

Cocopjojo said:
It's good music by any standard. But I'm just not into heavy metal and they're straying too far in that direction. I've followed them for forever and their last three albums (minus some parts of SC) are starting to sound really metal-generic, and way unlike what they used to be - melodic progressive. The theme-led orchestrations we heard in Metropolis: Part 2 are gone for good, replaced by 7-string metal chords and Malmsteen solos. Which I can definitely appreciate from a technical perspective, but... I prefer my music to be more melody than noise (edit: right after I typed that, I heard a car-crash sample in Rite of Passage... :lol )

Nothing released since Train of Thought has been particularly heavy, IMO.

I thought Systematic Chaos was a fantastic album and is easily in my top three DT albums list along with Images and Scenes.

In The Presence of Enemies and Ministry of Lost Souls are just fantastic.

I'm really looking forward to hearing them live on their world tour again.

Fireblend

Banned
Wither, The Shattered Fortress and The Count of Tuscany just leaked.

... and I'm impressed, they sound really good! Remind me of FII, or Scenes even. Only The Best of Times remains to leak, and I'm now hyped for it! I might be buying this album after all!

TalonsOfJustice

Neo Member
mars_volta_frances_the_mute.jpg

Frances the Mute - The Mars Volta

Our generation's Dark Side of the Moon.

Check out:

Caribou - Andorra

Jaga Jazzist - A Livingroom Hush

The Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire, The Inner Mounting Flame

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
TalonsOfJustice said:
http://www.valladolidwebmusical.org/imprescindibles/mars_volta_frances_the_mute.jpg[IMG]

Frances the Mute - The Mars Volta

Our generation's Dark Side of the Moon.[/QUOTE]
By what metric?

ymmv

Banned
Fireblend said:
Wither, The Shattered Fortress and The Count of Tuscany just leaked.

... and I'm impressed, they sound really good! Remind me of FII, or Scenes even. Only The Best of Times remains to leak, and I'm now hyped for it! I might be buying this album after all!

I just listened to Count of Tuscany. Good stuff. For the first time in years there was a classic early DT vibe in a song.

I'm currently listening to the new Riverside CD. Damn, it's good! It's not terribly complex but they really know how to groove and rock in 6/8. :D

ElyrionX

Ok, the whole Black Clouds and Silver Linings album has leaked for a while now. What does everyone think of it? Personally, I'm blown away. I mean, holy fucking shit, within a couple of listens, this has almost become my favourite DT album of all time, just narrowly losing to Scenes. Every song is so good. A Nightmare To Remember is amazing and so is Shattered Fortress and The Count of Tuscany. Currently, I would rate the albums as follows:

1. Scenes From A Memory
2. Black Clouds and Silver Linings
3. Systematic Chaos
4. Images and Words
5. Everything else
6. Octavarium

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Labrie is absolutely fantastic on BCSL as well. Many people consider him to be the weakest link in the band but in BCSL, he finally pulls off a commanding performance throughout the entire album and his vocals comes to the forefront when required. I thought he was really good in In The Presence of Enemies Part II in SC and his performance here has been on par with that. Now, if only he can reproduce it when singing live.

dLMN8R

Jethro said:
Black Clouds and Silver Linings is an amazing effort. :D
Yeah, I used to be a huge fan of Dream Theater - started listening when Scenes from a Memory came out, and delved into their backlog, getting addicted to all of their stuff. I really liked Six Degrees as well, both CDs of it representing different strengths of the band.

However, starting with Train of Thought, they moved away from any sort of emotional songwriting, and I just didn't like them much anymore. It wasn't that it was too heavy for my tastes, there was just no soul to their music anymore.

Octavarium and Systematic Chaos had some decent points, but overall they didn't do much for me at all. In total, I've probably listened to them only a few times each over the years. I even re-listened to them in the last couple weeks to see if it was my memory, but nope, didn't like them much at all.

Now, Black Clouds & Silver Linings has impressed me. Seems like a return to the gold ol' days, some real feeling behind many of the songs, and great call-backs to earlier riffs without going overboard.

Fireblend

Banned
Yeah, BC&SL is definitely an improvement. Still won't crack my best-of-DT list, since I lean much more towards their prog. rock albums, but there are some pretty good tracks in it, even remind me of Falling into Infinity. Can't wait for Transatlantic though, now that one I know won't disappoint.

For the record:

1. SFAM
2. Awake
3. Images & Words
4. SDOIT
5. Falling into Infinity

Sandman42

My Rankings:
1. Images and Words
2. Scenes From a Memory
3. Awake
4. Train of Thought
5. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
6. Falling Into Infinity
7. Systematic Chaos
8. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
9. Octavarium
10. When Dream and Day Unite

Jethro said:
Well, the easiest recommendation would be Steven Wilson's Solo Album-Insurgentes or you try out his sideproject Blackfield with Aviv Geffen. Good Music, but not as complex as Porcupine Tree. If you prefer more 'clear' vocalsin general, check out Anathema-A fine Day to exit :D.
Thanks for the Anathema recommendation. I bought A Fine Day To Exit recently and really like it.

I WANT TO PLAY TOO

1.) Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
2.) Train of Thought
3.) Images and Words
4.) Black Clouds, Silver Linings
5.) Metropolis 2
6.) Change of Seasons
8.) Falling into Infinity
9.) Systematic Chaos
10.) Awake
11.) Octavarium.

Fireblend

Banned
fistfulofmetal said:
I WANT TO PLAY TOO

1.) Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.
2.) Train of Thought
3.) Images and Words
4.) Black Clouds, Silver Linings
5.) Metropolis 2
6.) Change of Seasons
8.) Falling into Infinity
9.) Systematic Chaos
10.) Awake
11.) Octavarium.
Damn, Change of Seasons counts? bump it to 2.5 in my list then :lol

BTW, I'm guessing people here know about the upcoming Porcupine Tree album, right? Can't wait for that either. This is a great year for prog. fans; with DT, OSI, Porcupine Tree, Transatlantic new albums I'm more than set. There's also that new project Arjen Lucansen's been working on. :D

Lionheart1827 said:
Man The Best of Times solo at the end of the song is fucking amazing. Petrucci is god, and he lives like 5 minutes away from me. :D

Yeah it is. One of his very best. I think actually all of his solos on the album are top notch...even the ones that are just out of your mind shredding. He's had some stinkers in the past when he just let his chops go and forgot to write something interesting but he even kept the wild ones fun to listen to this time. I think in terms of pure guitar work this album ranks up with their best, and maybe even IS their best.

As for my overall rankings...

1.Scenes from a Memory
2.Images and Words
3.Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
4.Awake
5.Black Clouds and Silver Linings
6.Systematic Chaos
7.Octavarium
8.FII
9.Train of Thought
10.When Dream and Day Unite

They all have their moments, but the top 7 albums are all pretty great in my opinion. I'm not sure where I would put ACoS if I were to rank it, but it would be near the top.

dLMN8R

Fenix said:
Holy shit, a 55 minute title track?
Not exactly. It's a 55-minute connected epic of sorts, but it is split into tracks, and each track does have a noticeable "beginning" and "end" to it. Not necessarily one giant overarching theme running throughout.

Needless to say, I'm freaking psyched :D

Mission

I bet there is a thread out there for that...

It usually depends on what you listen to normally...

but for the record, I prefer Deadwing....

Fenix

dLMN8R said:
Not exactly. It's a 55-minute connected epic of sorts, but it is split into tracks, and each track does have a noticeable "beginning" and "end" to it. Not necessarily one giant overarching theme running throughout.

Needless to say, I'm freaking psyched :D

So like, Six Degrees, but a little more segmented? I can dig.

fistfulofmetal said:
f I wanted to start listening to them, what should i start with?
In Absentia

NameGenerated said:

Rainbow - Stargazer

Dixie Dregs - Odyssey

This album I must have. And as it was said, so it shall be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom