• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Progressive rock

Status
Not open for further replies.
24edx5z.jpg

:D

Buggy Loop

I dont fully understand the definition of every goddamn rock & metal genres out there but...

The Mars Volta, doesnt that count as prog?

mars_volta_frances_the_mute.jpg

is gold

wi@tt

Buggy Loop said:
I dont fully understand the definition of every goddamn rock & metal genres out there but...

The Mars Volta, doesnt that count as prog?

mars_volta_frances_the_mute.jpg

is gold

I see your Francis and raise you this:

41E1BHMGBWL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Fireblend

Banned
Posted this on the metal thread some days ago, but I guess it fits here as well, since I consider OSI prog.
http://www.osiband.com/
Teaser for their new album in the page, sounds fucking amazing.

And yeah, I'm a big prog. rock/metal fan; literally most albums mentioned in the last couple pages are in my iPod.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Fireblend said:
Posted this on the metal thread some days ago, but I guess it fits here as well, since I consider OSI prog.
http://www.osiband.com/
Teaser for their new album in the page, sounds fucking amazing.
Fuck. Yes. A bit of a different style for them, but it sounds terrific.

Truant

Onix said:
That kind of happens to all genres. Just look at 'pop'. That was originally meant to refer to popular music. ie. mainstream, top 40's, etc. It was really just a measure of commercial success, not a descriptor for style.

Nirvana was 'pop' once Teen Spirit hit. :p Obviously now though, pop refers to an actual stylistic genre of music.

Yes, but for pop it has been a positive change. Pop music also represents a certain approach to writing music, so you could also say that Muse and The Mars Volta are pop, even though they have songs that may be slightly uncommercial.

It's very ironic that a style of music labled as progressive has become the most stale of all genres. Well, besides crunk.

wi@tt

Truant said:
Yes, but for pop it has been a positive change. Pop music also represents a certain approach to writing music, so you could also say that Muse and The Mars Volta are pop, even though they have songs that may be slightly uncommercial.

As far as the Volta go I can see your point, songs like Via l'Viaquez on Farnces the Mute have strong pop undertones, verse chorus verse... But most of that is drawn from Omar's love of Cuban and Latin American Salsa.

In my mind Art Rock and Prog can be very closely associated with each other. Porcupine Tree, TooL, Rush, and Floyd would fall into this category.

Mango Positive said:
This isn't "Metal" prog and it isn't quite Pink Floyd prog either... it's very eclectic and VERY good.

This was released in January. It's called Mantis by Umphrey's McGee. I strongly recommend you obtain it by any means possible.

Umphrey%27s+McGee+-+2009+Mantis.jpg

Thank you for showing me this bad. Very good stuff. Bought more then a couple albums. :D

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I have a bit of a different request, if anyone would mind. Now I'm already very familiar with prog rock. I'm all over the studio albums, from Spock's Beard to Opeth to Ayreon to you-name-it. But I've mostly stayed away from the live albums, and I've never really been to any good concerts. So, what I'm specifically asking is, what are the best DVD sets to check out for prog bands? Any absolute must-watch's?

I'm open to all suggestions, as I love pretty much the entire genre, including all sub-categories.

GriffD17

Chamber said:
The Mars Volta's next album is due out June 23rd.

http://pitchfork.com/news/35073-the-mars-volta-enter-the-ioctahedroni/

I think it might be something all the De-Loused fanboys will like as it's reportedly their most accessible album yet (less "artsy, fartsy" as people like to put it).
De-Loused was more accessible than their latest efforts?

Also from the article:
As previously reported, Omar Rodriguez-Lopez will release Cryptomnesia, the debut album from his new band El Grupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez-Lopez.
:lol :lol
What a wonderful name for a band.

bounchfx

CygnusXS said:
I have a bit of a different request, if anyone would mind. Now I'm already very familiar with prog rock. I'm all over the studio albums, from Spock's Beard to Opeth to Ayreon to you-name-it. But I've mostly stayed away from the live albums, and I've never really been to any good concerts. So, what I'm specifically asking is, what are the best DVD sets to check out for prog bands? Any absolute must-watch's?

I'm open to all suggestions, as I love pretty much the entire genre, including all sub-categories.

both of Opeth's live DVDs are phenomenal.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
GriffD17 said:
De-Loused was more accessible than their latest efforts?
Certainly more so than Frances and Amputechture. I thought Bedlam was pretty accessible but a lot of people disagree.

Everyone seemed to hate Amp but I think it's their best album. Tetragrammaton is just incredible.

GriffD17 said:
What a wonderful name for a band.
Yeah, pretty sure Omar just likes seeing his name on shit. :lol

GriffD17

Chamber said:
Certainly more so than Frances and Amputechture. I thought Bedlam was pretty accessible but a lot of people disagree.
Hrm. I don't know. I seem to be of the opinion that their albums have gotten more and more accessible with each release. And their new album reportedly clocking in at 47 minutes with 8 tracks just leads me to worry even more. Oh well. :\

Chamber

love on your sleeve
GriffD17 said:
Hrm. I don't know. I seem to be of the opinion that their albums have gotten more and more accessible with each release. And their new album reportedly clocking in at 47 minutes with 8 tracks just leads me to worry even more. Oh well. :\
Really? I mean, Frances only has 1 track under 10 minutes in length and Amp is pretty much a jam album.

The most common complaint about TMV is that everything besides Tremulant and De-Loused is too far out there.

GriffD17

Chamber said:
Really? I mean, Frances only has 1 track under 10 minutes in length and Amp is pretty much a jam album.

The most common complaint about TMV is that everything besides Tremulant and De-Loused is too far out there.

You could very well be right. I will go with you on Frances, definitely stands out there with De-Loused. I haven't visited forums enough discussing TMV or talked to my own friends about TMV to get an overall consensus. I'll have to revisit their albums again. I feel like my whole world is crumbling and eveything is turned upside down. Fuckin' A on Tetragrammeton though.

n0b

samratty said:
Prog I like:
King Crimson (Obviously)
Pink Floyd (although I wouldn't put them under the traditional prog stock)
Gong
Van Der Graaf Generator

Prog/psych:
Soft Machine
I thank you for posting...I was about to explode wondering what the fuck people were on. I was worried I had read the thread wrong and this was only about modern prog, because I couldn't see how nobody was posting any of the essentials except for King Crimson (And Floyd, but the wrong part of their career.)

I shall add:
Prog:
Mike Oldfield
Yes
(Pink Floyd's early career was definitely traditional prog. Later career I would say is hardly Prog at all.)

Krautrock(It definitely is related enough, and awesome enough, to be included. Considering the relative lack of the prog gods, I would be surprised if people weren't missing out on these guys too.):
Amon Düül II
NEU!
Can
Faust

Still...GAF, you are making me sad. :(

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I have to admit I'm mostly a fan of modern prog though Floyd and King Crimson are among my favorites.

I'll try some of the older stuff being named.

n0b

Its not that there is anything wrong with modern prog, its just that among a lot of the older stuff are some of the best albums of all time, and its sad that not many people seem to know them or their best albums anymore.

Jethro

Some Info on the new Dream Theater Album from Rich Wilson, author of the official DT-Biography

'Well, I've been listening to the new DT album for about the last two weeks now. I really don't want to ruin everyone's first listen to Black Clouds And Silver Linings, so I won't go into too much detail. Save to say that 'The Best Of Times' and 'The Count Of Tuscany' (20 minutes? Oh yes!!) are both amongst the best tracks the band have ever released. It's epic. It's contemporary with plenty of prog. There's a huge portion of metal in there too. Other plus points (for me anyway) are the lack of fantasy lyrics about vampires and "dark master" which did little for me on their last album, and they've cut back on those growling vocals. In terms of balance, it's probably their most solid album since 'Scenes From A Memory'.

And new OSI Album with Gavin Harrison and Mikael Akerfeldt? That's great!

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Camel is my everything.

New prog rock sounds so weird. They fucking smash the shit out of everything with compression, which entirely defeats half of the point. How the fuck do you have prog with no fucking dynamics? Go listen to old Camel, Yes, or Rush.

gwiz210

Yes, Rush, ELO, and Asia are some of my favorites. I saw Rush last year on their Snakes & Arrows tour, best concert I've ever seen :D

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Truant said:
Progressive rock has become such a mockery of itself. Whatever happened to actual progression in terms of composition, soundscapes and ideas? It's like how 'indie' now reflects a certain sound, istead of actual independent music. I want actual progression, not the same old cheese-fest Dream Theater sound.

I would say Kayo Dot, Extra Life, Tera Melos, The Mars Volta are much more progressive than any band mentioned in this thread, even though they're labled as something completely different.

Just my two cents, don't get upset.
Extra Life is so good. "Blackmail Blues" is one of the best songs I've heard in a long, long time. New Kayo Dot record before the end of the year (hopefully) has me shitting my pants, too.

Jethro

Yay, good News:

TRANSATLANTIC FLIES AGAIN!!!

PROGRESSIVE ROCK SUPERGROUP
REUNITES FOR NEW STUDIO ALBUM.
POSSIBLE LATE 2009 RELEASE PLANNED.

TRANSATLANTIC, the progressive rock "supergroup" comprised of Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater), Pete Trewavas (Marillion), Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings) and Neal Morse (ex-Spock's Beard), have reunited after a 7 year hiatus to begin work on a brand new studio album.

The band began work on the album in early April in Nashville and are expected to have it released by year's end if all goes as planned.

TRANSATLANTIC have previously released two studio albums to tremendous critical and fan acclaim: 2000's SMPTe and 2001's Bridge Across Forever. The band toured on the heels of each release with an American Tour in 2000 and a European Tour in 2001 and released subsequent Live DVD's/CD's from both tours before going their separate ways for an indefinite hiatus which lasted almost the entire decade.

veonxe.jpg

Truant

vatstep said:
Extra Life is so good. "Blackmail Blues" is one of the best songs I've heard in a long, long time. New Kayo Dot record before the end of the year (hopefully) has me shitting my pants, too.

Wait, are you...?

thtroomTANG.png

Anyone mentioned Jethro Tull? I always prefered them to Yes or Pink Floyd...maybe because they seemed to be more down to earth and honest to me. It's progressive but has some elements of european folk(rock) in it. Their sound was unique and different on every album! My favourite albums would be Aqualung, Songs from the Wood (the best) and Thick as a Brick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgUw6t3b6oE
I love it! :)

sbarbati

I came in to post one of the oldest prog-rock bands I know of: Captain Beyond. Apparently they had a massive influence on Rush, but as far as I can tell they sound very different... at least in terms of vocals. Fun fact: The lead singer of Captain Beyond was the original lead singer of Deep Purple Rod Evans. I love this band and if you like classic rock similar to Iron Butterfly and Deep Purple give these guys a listen.

GriffD17

sbarbati said:
I came in to post one of the oldest prog-rock bands I know of: Captain Beyond. Apparently they had a massive influence on Rush, but as far as I can tell they sound very different... at least in terms of vocals. Fun fact: The lead singer of Captain Beyond was the original lead singer of Deep Purple Rod Evans. I love this band and if you like classic rock similar to Iron Butterfly and Deep Purple give these guys a listen.
I've only listened to their s/t but it was ace. Ace indeed.

Jethro

DieNgamers said:
Anyone mentioned Jethro Tull? I always prefered them to Yes or Pink Floyd...maybe because they seemed to be more down to earth and honest to me. It's progressive but has some elements of european folk(rock) in it. Their sound was unique and different on every album! My favourite albums would be Aqualung, Songs from the Wood (the best) and Thick as a Brick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgUw6t3b6oE
I love it! :)

I think Tull was already mentioned here several times. Last time by me^^. It's my alltime favorite Band.

Spasm

This is the first GAF thread I've ever bookmarked. Gonna start checking out these recommendations.

For me it's...
1. Porcupine Tree
2. Rush
3. Muse

Anobyl

SO excited for Octahedron. Just heard about it today :D

Cryptomnesia isn't bad. It reminds me of Hella, who I quite like (which makes sense, considering it's the same drummer). Vocals are ace at times, like on Warren Oates. I'll have to give it some more time though.

Jethro

NameGenerated said:
Blast beats and Mike singing were unexpected. :lol I'm loving both of them though.

After hearing it several times the only thing I can say is, they are fucking great!

dLMN8R

Fuck.

Just blasted a lossless Porcupine Tree - Hatesong off the XM II album into my HD 555s.

Fuck this song is awesome.

On to Devin Townsend - Earth Day next. There shall be a thread on Earth Day telling people to listen to this song.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
http://maudlinofthewell.net

maudlin of the Well (progressive metal/rock band that eventually became Kayo Dot) has released a free album online, completely funded by fan donations (for the recording, mixing and mastering). As a long-time fan of the band, I'd been anticipating this since it was announced nearly a year ago, and I was not disappointed. I'd definitely recommend checking it out.

ElyrionX

Dream Theater's latest album is about a month away. Does anyone know whether it has leaked? I've already pre-ordered the album but I want to listen to it as soon as possible regardless of how I do it. I'm still going to buy a copy of the album though. They're my favourite band!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom