• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus E3 2015

Man

Wish Guerrilla could hurry up and release that long RIGS gameplay roll they showed on todays live streaming.
Fastest most agile VR gameplay I've seen to date.

jaypah

The game I want to hear experiences about is Trackmania Turbo. I'm a big fan of the series but the games features pretty much everything that developers have been warning about not featuring in VR, so it would be interesting to hear some impressions.

The PC version of part 2 has Rift support and it is fucking bananas! Some of those jumps really produce the "stomach feels". Didn't make me sick or dizzy though, it was perfectly fine and I assume this version will have ifinitely more polish.

BaldusCattus

Neo Member
At 5:45, he falls over in real life after trying to lean on a virtual desk. He's the second guy I've heard of that did it, but this is the first time I've seen video of it.
Gotta hold my hands up, I did the same thing first time I played that one, and I've spent a fair bit more time in a Morpheus than most =)

could this be that the headset wasn't adjusted for her eyes/eyesight properly? Like some impressions further back.
Like some earlier posters opined, I'm thinking its more likely to have been a reaction to the cleaning wipes or sprays too; the guys running the demo kits keep them meticulously clean. Its hard to imagine that her breathing contributed: the wearer's nose and mouth are way outside the 'gasket' that surrounds the lenses.

majik13

Like some earlier posters opined, I'm thinking its more likely to have been a reaction to the cleaning wipes or sprays too; the guys running the demo kits keep them meticulously clean. Its hard to imagine that her breathing contributed: the wearer's nose and mouth are way outside the 'gasket' that surrounds the lenses.

yeah read that after I posted, wasn't aware they were cleaning them inbetween. If it was a spray they were using, perhaps they forgot to wipe it down.

Ferrio

Banned
So anyone who was at E3, who had the biggest VR showing? The Rift thread doesn't got many replies in comparison, did they have less demos/space?

That's what time warping helps with. Even if the current image is several frames old, it can be warped to better match the headset's position, right before the refresh. You might see moving objects in the world "stutter" but the perception of head tracking should be absolutely solid.

Thanks! Interesting. (Excellent explanation here, for others like me.)

I had some more questions for all of you guys, for instance:

Why in so many Morpheus demos is the player bound to a chair or some kind of amusement ride? Is there a problem with the player freely walking around using the controller, does it induce nausea? Will this spell the end of VR? (possibly)

As well as:

Do you think casual gamers know that VR is (almost) here? It is my suspicion that a lot of people are already sold on VR in principle, but don't quite realize it is ceasing to be a fantasy in practical terms. (I mean come on it's VR.)

But this is more important:

Will wearing the Morpheus increase, or decrease, a person's sexual appeal? Surely donning yourself in sci-fi sexiness expedites succumbency smoothly.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
The kitchen demo with the guy losing his shit was hilarious. Good stuff, I like the Heist chase demo as well. Looking forward to more VR software.

Crispy75

Why in so many Morpheus demos is the player bound to a chair or some kind of amusement ride? Is there a problem with the player freely walking around using the controller, does it induce nausea?

It does. Here's why:

The vestibular system is the network of fluid-filled cavities in your ears. They detect rotation and linear acceleration of your head. Just like the gyroscopic and inertial sensors in the Wii remote.

Your brain takes all the available sensory data - visual, aural and vestibular - and provides you with a pretty accurate sensation of your motion and rotation. If the visual data and vestibular data don't match then it causes confusion and nausea.

In VR, rotation and movement that's not directly forwards/backwards have proven to be particularly nauseating. So you'll see some on-rails stuff where the "camera" moves forward at a constant speed.

To reduce the nausea, you need a large area of "cockpit" around you that stays still relative to your body, so that your visual system gets at least some data that agrees with your vestibular system.

Did anyone post the discussion from Giant Bomb last night with Lorne Lanning, Drake and Jeff Green?

It was all about VR and Lanning was just amazing... He was seriously blowing Drakes mind with the landscape of VR, past and present, issues and positives.....Drake even said "I can listen to you all day" and I agreed.

Lanning had the most intelligent thoughts and discussion about the medium that I have ever heard...

You have to see it if you are interested at all in VR..

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Yup yup, that's the one M_A_C.
Man, they need some kiosks in Best Buy or some shit asap cause I wanna try all these demos out.

jaypah

Horror games are fucking horrifying in VR. There's a 3 chapter demonstration called Affected. Each of the chapters are only around 5 minutes long but sitting there alone playing it I couldn't finish any of them. Can't wait to try some fully fleshed out games. Shit is gonna be sick!

Man

I for one think it's possible to die from fear in VR assuming you have a weaker heart condition etc. Shit's *way* more tense than movies.

Nicko

Time for me to buy some cheap PS move controllers before all the used stock is sold out and new sell out also ;)

Time for me to buy some cheap PS move controllers before all the used stock is sold out and new sell out also ;)

Are they really not updating the Move controller? :/ I feel like it really needs an analog stick. Are games now either using a controller or on rails when using Move?

Did anyone post the discussion from Giant Bomb last night with Lorne Lanning, Drake and Jeff Green?

It was all about VR and Lanning was just amazing... He was seriously blowing Drakes mind with the landscape of VR, past and present, issues and positives.....Drake even said "I can listen to you all day" and I agreed.

Lanning had the most intelligent thoughts and discussion about the medium that I have ever heard...

You have to see it if you are interested at all in VR..

Got a link by any chance? I'm not savvy when it comes to Giant Bomb

Are they really not updating the Move controller? :/ I feel like it really needs an analog stick. Are games now either using a controller or on rails when using Move?

People need to find a better solution that don't involve rotation I've been told. So holding a button to move forward, or tapping a button to warp somewhere, pulling the screen towards you, rotating the screen by using hand motions etc etc, work great in VR. An analog stick is surprisingly hard to use apparently. Any game simply trying to capitalize on looking around, as in a 3rd person game, you have the dualshock.

majik13

interview with Yoshida from a couple days ago, he confirms no updated Move. But, there is also the nav controller, or holding a move, and then a DS4 in the other hand. I did that with KZ3, as I don't have a Nav controller. Not ideal but if you have it resting in your lap, it works.

They use that Move gun with a nav controller in the FPS Morpheus demo.

Got a link by any chance? I'm not savvy when it comes to Giant Bomb

People need to find a better solution that don't involve rotation I've been told. So holding a button to move forward, or tapping a button to warp somewhere, pulling the screen towards you, rotating the screen by using hand motions etc etc, work great in VR. An analog stick is surprisingly hard to use apparently. Any game simply trying to capitalize on looking around, as in a 3rd person game, you have the dualshock.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ysKExiHQvd4

Lanning, Drake and Green are on at about the 3:10 minute mark... And that is at the 3 hour 10 minute mark...lol, it was that kind of show..

Lanning is even talking about developing games in VR, the hurdles and pitfalls...Lanning was just amazing..

I still have mine (4 moves, 1 nav). Unfortunately, the strap lock on one them them is cracked, so I can't properly secure it to my wrist anymore. Sony does not sell replacement straps (why they don't, I haven't the foggiest) and the knock-off ones are apparently garbage.

interview with Yoshida from a couple days ago, he confirms no updated Move. But, there is also the nav controller, or holding a move, and then a DS4 in the other hand. I did that with KZ3, as I don't have a Nav controller. Not ideal but if you have it resting in your lap, it works.

They use that Move gun with a nav controller in the FPS Morpheus demo.

I was more wondering about first person games, like how a game like Skyrim or Minecraft could work. I guess it would just have to use the nav controller which can't be tracked. I just checked out a video with that Move gun and that looked like something I could use for an FPS. People demoing it seemed to have a good impression

What are they seeing in the Kitchen demo? I Google'd and Youtube'd and can't find any video of what the players actually see in the demo.

DavidDesu

Horror games are fucking horrifying in VR. There's a 3 chapter demonstration called Affected. Each of the chapters are only around 5 minutes long but sitting there alone playing it I couldn't finish any of them. Can't wait to try some fully fleshed out games. Shit is gonna be sick!

PT, played sitting right in front of my crappy 32inch flat screen with Pulse Elites on almost induced presence in me. Something about the sound design most of all and graphics verging on photorealism and just the entire scenario... I struggled to play and really felt fear from that game.

If anything like PT is made for VR to the same level of absolute perfection as that was I genuinely think, as much as I'd like to experience it, that I simply would not go near that game. It would be genuinely terrifying and stressful to play, which can never be good for a person's health ;)

AlexIIDX

PT, played sitting right in front of my crappy 32inch flat screen with Pulse Elites on almost induced presence in me. Something about the sound design most of all and graphics verging on photorealism and just the entire scenario... I struggled to play and really felt fear from that game.

If anything like PT is made for VR to the same level of absolute perfection as that was I genuinely think, as much as I'd like to experience it, that I simply would not go near that game. It would be genuinely terrifying and stressful to play, which can never be good for a person's health ;)

lol I gotta agree, P.T. had me so stressed out. I can't imagine playing it in VR if its as immersive as that teaser was for me....i'd pretty much just be playing with my eyes closed.

DavidDesu

Is there a release date and a price tag for morpheus?

Only first half of 2016, possibly Q1 I think they've said, but first half for sure (similar to Oculus).

Price, no idea. I think $300 is where we should be expecting it. Hopefully Sony can bring it to us for less, they've said they're happy to sell it at cost, and make money from software just like with how they start with their consoles usually (or maybe even subsidising the cost initially until production costs come down).

They know it can't be a ridiculously high price and there's just no way it will cost more than a PS4 itself. I'm hoping $200 to $250, or for me in the UK, £180ish pricepoint. These prices I'd say would be for the headset alone, but maybe they'll bundle a Move in or camera. Many people do have the camera already and Moves lying around. Both aren't all that expensive and could be bundled in at cost for Sony if they really want everyone to seriously consider buying into Morpheus.

I'm very anxious to see what price we can expect. Then again I fully expected (and was happy) to see a £400 price point for the PS4, and they came out with £350 instead which made me over the moon at the time. I hope they do something similar for Morpheus.

Anyone claiming this will be $500 or more should not be trusted or listened to, they're just drama trolls! :p

Games like PT will traumatize people in VR. I've seen people get so scared in the Rift that I'm sure they would have started crying if they didn't take it off.

LifeLike

Only first half of 2016, possibly Q1 I think they've said, but first half for sure (similar to Oculus).

Price, no idea. I think $300 is where we should be expecting it. Hopefully Sony can bring it to us for less, they've said they're happy to sell it at cost, and make money from software just like with how they start with their consoles usually (or maybe even subsidising the cost initially until production costs come down).

They know it can't be a ridiculously high price and there's just no way it will cost more than a PS4 itself. I'm hoping $200 to $250, or for me in the UK, £180ish pricepoint. These prices I'd say would be for the headset alone, but maybe they'll bundle a Move in or camera. Many people do have the camera already and Moves lying around. Both aren't all that expensive and could be bundled in at cost for Sony if they really want everyone to seriously consider buying into Morpheus.

I'm very anxious to see what price we can expect. Then again I fully expected (and was happy) to see a £400 price point for the PS4, and they came out with £350 instead which made me over the moon at the time. I hope they do something similar for Morpheus.

Anyone claiming this will be $500 or more should not be trusted or listened to, they're just drama trolls! :p

Thanks !
I've been waiting for VR forever, it's like a dream come true.
Since Nintendo's Virtual Boy.

DavidDesu

Thanks !
I've been waiting for VR forever, it's like a dream come true.
Since Nintendo's Virtual Boy.

This is just my guesstimated speculation though. I'm following this pretty closely and have heard any important snippets of information from the people involved to form my judgements. If it's over $300 then it'll just be a flop, for now, I do feel pretty confident in saying that.

PSMove is fine I think, although I'd welcome an update to Navigation controller. Add that triangle Led used for tracking in DS4 and it'd be perfect.

vin-buc

I couldn't even play PT out of stress (still have it installed though). I tried playing it 3 times and I couldn't see it through. I was uncomfortable. I could never imagine playing something like that in VR. It would be like playing that nightmare that you can't wake up from.

I'm surprised Sony hasn't worked with devs to get a lot of older games working with Morpheus, low risk for publishers and lots of output.

I'm thinking things like Half Life 2, Mirror's Edge etc.

Evantist

It's good that Morpheus has in-built audio though. I'll probably use it depending on situation, seeing that there's quite a competition for the 2 USB slots (Morpheus, Gold Wireless, Dualshocks).

I hope not. Games not built from the ground up with VR in mind will be very rough, if not puke inducing.
I thought that's the case, but I've seen people here said they play old games in VR all the time with rift and it work fine. If vr is a hit, no way publisher wouldn't jump in with easy vr remaster. It's easy money.

Top Bottom