• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Morpheus E3 2015

barit

Grimløck;168709033 said:

These are the small things that will push VR massively into the mainstream market. Imagining to sit there and listening to your favorite music album on this almost LSD trip seems just pure genius. Virtual tourism, online chatting, virtual cinema etc. Yep this will sell some units. Hope Sony is aware of this and will provide a wide range of apps for Morpheus outside of gaming.

Phreak47

Can't believe how popular Summer Lesson is lol. That trailer is on track to a million views.

So what's the story there... 98% of it looks like a broken promise to deliver the dream of a 3-orifice blow-up doll come to life, then suddenly a "director" shows up and we are evidently shooting some sort of teeny-bop paperback movie.

So what's the story there... 98% of it looks like a broken promise to deliver the dream of a 3-orifice blow-up doll come to life, then suddenly a "director" shows up and we are evidently shooting some sort of teeny-bop paperback movie.

Apperently you're a tutor and you're teaching her to play guitar. In summer. You know, a SUMMER LESSON lol.

UrbanRats

This type of application hadn't occurred to me yet.

I'm looking at that third image in particular and imagining a Sgt. Pepper virtual tour, complete with newspaper taxis and Plasticine porters with looking-glass ties.

Shit, drugs will be completely unnecessary.

Ideally, this will allow for user created content, ala LBP. Then what I'm describing could be possible. You build a scene that goes with an album and then share it (and we connect to our own music libraries to play the music... after all, we finally did get DLNA support)
Stylistically speaking, something close to SURGE would be a cool music visualizer (this is more of a VR videoclip, though):
https://youtu.be/YZwLOomhcsI

Ferrio

Banned
Its not that great for me unfortunately. Agreed above I'm sorry to the dev but futuridium was really bad in vr, it added virtually nothing to the game. On top of that focusing can be tough with the Morpheus.

I haven't heard anyone say anything positivie about that demo. Seems like just like a bad game.

I don't know if this was posted already but this small Polygon article was pretty interesting.

Palmer always said that the worst thing that could happen to VR is that some big company comes up with some mid-quality system and muddy the water. He was actually talking about us. He was talking to us," Yoshida said.

And we were laughing, because [Luckey] was very happy to try this years Morpheus. I was like, 'oh yeah we passed the Palmer test. We almost passed the John Carmack test and the Mike Abrash test.'

Grimløck;168709033 said:
Harmonix Music VR coming to Project Morpheus
less game, more music visualizer
DenseSelfassuredAndeancondor.gif

BowedSplendidAracari.gif

WildShamelessJunebug.gif

"You ever seen Project Morpheus...on weeeeeeed?"

Skyrise

Actually it is a full game and the developer is in this very thread looking for feedback (believe his name is Skyrise), hope you didn't hurt his feelings xD

You have to remember Futuridium may cause motion sickness so I assume the developer had to do some tweaks and not cause a lot of motion in the vehicle to prevent this.

No worries, bad feedbacks are the most useful ones. :D

The current demo is an arrangement of the Futuridium EP Deluxe that we launched on PSN last September (free with PSPlus for June). There are no VR interaction for now, yes it's only a 'look around the cockpit while playing the normal Futuridium', so it's a very classic game experience for now.

The game is very fast and has some things that are normally very bad in VR (a 180° full inversion of the view, lots of fast rotation). Our main goal with the demo was to have the most pleasant VR experience possible with all the weird thing we are doing (aka: don't make you sick while flying at high speed) and push it up to native 120fps to see if we are able to go with the full framerate (it worked).

We have lot of nice VR specific gameplay application but we'll unveil them at a later date, there was simply not enough time to put them in the E3 demo (the demo was made by a team of three in less than three weeks).

Steven Spielberg got hands-on. Seems like he's been to every VR booth this E3 (which is apt considering he's directing Ready Player One):

CH0UqxRUsAUxZn-.jpg

Sony London Studio ‏@LondonStudioHQ Jun 19
We just had the pleasure of showing Steven Spielberg 'The London Heist' at @E3 and he loved it! #PlayStationE3 #wow

That is so cool!

Guys, I don't know where to ask but here:
I'm extremely interested in Morpheus. Do you think I should start investing in the ecosystem (camera, move controllers) or should I wait for it to come out?
Amazon has those for a decent price and I'm afraid those might go up to the original price once Morpheus comes out. Besides, I don't live in the US, so having my brother visiting there is a good opportunity to get them before Morpheus.

rjinaz

Guys, I don't know where to ask but here:
I'm extremely interested in Morpheus. Do you think I should start investing in the ecosystem (camera, move controllers) or should I wait for it to come out?
Amazon has those for a decent price and I'm afraid those might go up to the original price once Morpheus comes out. Besides, I don't live in the US, so having my brother visiting there is a good opportunity to get them before Morpheus.

I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to wait until Sony unveils their plans for the Morpheus before I purchase anything. They will likely bundle this stuff together. Now the very day they announce, or even if there are strong rumors coming out about what's bundled or not, if I need to I will rush to Amazon or ebay before sellers have the chance to adjust prices. Basically, just stay on top of the latest info and you'll be fine I'm thinking.

I'll tell you what I'm going to do. I'm going to wait until Sony unveils their plans for the Morpheus before I purchase anything. They will likely bundle this stuff together. Now the very day they announce, or even if there are strong rumors coming out about what's bundled or not, if I need to I will rush to Amazon or ebay before sellers have the chance to adjust prices. Basically, just stay on top of the latest info and you'll be fine I'm thinking.

That sounds like a good plan. The only problem is that I live in Brazil, so I don't know when I'll get the chance to buy it in the US again, where prices are MUCH cheaper, and I don't know if our money will keep devaluing in comparison to the American dollar, which might make it even more expensive later on. Besides, bringing only the HMD and going through customs is easier than bringing all the necessary paraphernalia.

Oh well, thanks for the help anyway! I'll take the next few days I have before my brother travels to make a definitive decision =]
PS: I was JUST watching Archer. So awesome.

Walpurgis

Banned
Wow, Summer Lesson looks great. There's no way I would play a game like that but the lighting and character model are far beyond what I expected after a thread from the other week. I am also looking forward to visual novels like Steins;Gate using that style.The girl's voice speaking voice is terrible though.

RIGS looked generic at Sony's conference but I like the sports angle and it looks pretty unique in that. It also looks really cool.

I can't wait to see Dreams using Morpheus.

Summer Lesson seems to be very stylize (as opposed of trying to be realistic) plus I guess it helps that the player character seems to have no free movement

It'd be cool if in Rigs there's a fully featured career/story mode where you start a character off as a rookie in the league and have to work your way up to the final championship.

AlexIIDX

I can't believe I could have this thing in my hands by this time next year. I can't wait to try a demo unit somewhere, I really hope it impresses me.....I had a chance to try a demo on the Oculus, and I wasn't too impressed. Though it might have been a crappy demo, and i'm not sure if it was the DK1 or 2.

Soi-Fong

I can't believe I could have this thing in my hands by this time next year. I can't wait to try a demo unit somewhere, I really hope it impresses me.....I had a chance to try a demo on the Oculus, and I wasn't too impressed. Though it might have been a crappy demo, and i'm not sure if it was the DK1 or 2.

More than likely, it was the DK1. Everyone I've demo'd DK2 to loved it.

Ferrio

Banned
Is there a video about Kitchen? I watched those reaction videos and I really want to see how the demo looks like.

Don't think so. From what I heard it was a very very early and rough demo. It probably doesn't look so hot, especially when not shown through the morpheus.

neobiz

I demand a Rockband like experience for vr. I want to see the crowd from the stage and dodge tomatoes and shit when I'm failing. Get on it Harmonix.

bj00rn_

Banned

A silly scale, but makes a point:

DK1<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<DK2*<<<<<<<<<Morpheus<Vive/Rift

(*although a couple of things unfortunately took a step back, like FOV..)

The DK1 was a devkit to 1.Prepare developers for the future, 2.To prove that matured and a true VR revolution is around the corner/possible around this generation, 3. To spark a vision of what's possible in the near future

And as that it really worked. But as a consumer device it was horrendous. And people did not know how to demo it. And it lacks a lot of key features.

Man

I feel the DK2 is much easier to demo wrong compared to DK1. This due to DK2 having positional tracking but within a really limited volume and only at certain angles. Result is it dropping out often messing with your head. As a result my body & mind (even being aware of the tech leap forward) have very mixed feelings about DK2 unlike DK1.

Morpheus and CV1 however support 360degree tracking and at a large volume fixing this issue (plus other improvements like further decreased latency, higher framerates etc).

No worries, bad feedbacks are the most useful ones. :D

The current demo is an arrangement of the Futuridium EP Deluxe that we launched on PSN last September (free with PSPlus for June). There are no VR interaction for now, yes it's only a 'look around the cockpit while playing the normal Futuridium', so it's a very classic game experience for now.

The game is very fast and has some things that are normally very bad in VR (a 180° full inversion of the view, lots of fast rotation). Our main goal with the demo was to have the most pleasant VR experience possible with all the weird thing we are doing (aka: don't make you sick while flying at high speed) and push it up to native 120fps to see if we are able to go with the full framerate (it worked).

We have lot of nice VR specific gameplay application but we'll unveil them at a later date, there was simply not enough time to put them in the E3 demo (the demo was made by a team of three in less than three weeks).
Good luck to you and your team!

I read in another thread where some dev was saying the VR games will look like crap. Not sure what he was talking about because these demos even in their incomplete state look decent enough and actually some look really good. And by release time they probably will look even better and as devs get more time with it, they will only look better and better in the future.

These are the small things that will push VR massively into the mainstream market. Imagining to sit there and listening to your favorite music album on this almost LSD trip seems just pure genius. Virtual tourism, online chatting, virtual cinema etc. Yep this will sell some units. Hope Sony is aware of this and will provide a wide range of apps for Morpheus outside of gaming.

Hnnnnnnnng. That visualizer looks good.

I hope someone at Sony has the sense to make a Morpeus version of Space Engine for Galactic Tourism purposes.

And people thought "Kitchen" was scary...

Sony has teamed up with IMAX to produce a virtual reality game for Project Morpheus called “Can You Walk The Walk.” It challenges you to recreate Philippe Petit’s famous 1974 walk on a tightrope between the two towers of the World Trade Center.

When you put the virtual reality headset on, you find yourself 1,300 feet in the air with a 140 foot tightrope in front of you that you simply have to walk across. It’s probably the type of virtual reality experience that will make those with acrophobia a little anxious at best, terrified at worse.

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/06/2...allenges-you-to-walk-between-the-twin-towers/

:p

kyser73

Good video although I was disappointed to hear them both say the screen door effect was still prominent.

Ya but from what I hear your brain quickly ignores it.

I'd second this. I demoed a game on DK2 and when I first put the headset on the screendoor was noticeable, but within a couple of minutes of playing my vision had adjusted to compensate for it and it wasn't an issue for me.

I'd second this. I demoed a game on DK2 and when I first put the headset on the screendoor was noticeable, but within a couple of minutes of playing my vision had adjusted to compensate for it and it wasn't an issue for me.
I can tell you that the screen door effect is noticeably better on morpheus than the dk2. Not sure why...perhaps better optics. It is ofcourse nowhere near as good as Crescent bay, but even that has some minor sde, but you almost have to look for it.

Seanspeed

Banned
I can tell you that the screen door effect is noticeably better on morpheus than the dk2. Not sure why...perhaps better optics. It is ofcourse nowhere near as good as Crescent bay, but even that has some minor sde, but you almost have to look for it.
Better optics and probably better display with larger pixel fill.

kyser73

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Sony have built the panels with a higher density of whatever OLED pixel cells are called, and this helps screendoor on the relatively low-res 1080p screens.

BTW - did anyone who demoed Morpheus get a crack on the PS4 version of Valkyrie?

Also - tech question:

Is there any reason that Sony couldn't update the positional tracking to something similar to Vive by allowing for the addition of a second camera behind the player? My immediate thought would be cable length might be an issue, but if both the camera cables are the same length it shouldn't, right?

Top Bottom