• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Natal - controller free gaming on 360

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
MightyHedgehog said:
Disc golf and Ultimate video games are cool, but I really want Natal-powered Tron Deadly Discs/Discs of Tron. Decap, wing, and generally pulverize your opponent with well-aimed direct shots, skips, and bounces while jumping, ducking, and moving across the platforms by puppeteering your in-game avatar with your body. Seems so obvious in a year where a big new Tron movie is releasing.

that would be fucking awesome too, and even likely --- seems like a natural fit, not just for discs of tron, but the bikes as well.

i just dont want that at disc golfs expense. give me a full price/featured/sponsored disc golf game. pdga, innova, disc craft, the pros, and depth. i'd be in gaming heaven if they nailed it.

szaromir said:
I think Che and Dan Greenawalt hinted that they're working on a non-Forza game. Though maybe I got this wrong.

any idea where, because as far as i'm aware, its only been speculation. the only thing i've seen at all from dan, che, or turn 10 about future projects in the pipeline was che's post for LA gaffers to see a "glimpse of the future of racing games" (paraphrased)

RSC2 was amazing. But I'd guess PGR is more commercially viable.

really? what #'s did pgr4 and rsc2 put up? it was my assumption that pgr 4 tanked pretty hard. i also think rally is an open market with zero competition, even if it is niche i'm sure a good rally game could do decent-good sales.

this is all besides the point because its still my guess that if t10 is flirting with street racing or rally, it will be in the context of a bigger forza 4

jedimike

gofreak said:
Think eyetoy antigrav. This is how the last report described it:

No... don't think eyetoy anything. I swear if you looked up gofreak AND eyetoy, you'd get a buffer overrun error.

Here's a description from someone who has actually played it.

http://www.jamesgunn.com/2010/04/15/quick-impression-on-microsofts-natal/

"Then Dave and I played River Rush together. It’s a game where you stand side by side in a river raft, so it’s two people playing at once. To move right, you have to step right; to move left, you have to step left. As you rush down right rapids, you have to jump up and slap floating stars in the air – the whole raft jumps up every time you do. This game was even more exhilarating than the kicking one, and even more aerobically challenging. In fact, I’d say the ONLY drawback to the Natal some people may have is that you have to get up off your ass to play it. But, for me, a person who likes exercise and gaming, it’s sort of a dream come true. An hour of playing Natal every night will definitely burn calories.

The Natal was an amazing piece of technology and I’ll be the first one in line to buy one when they come out during the holidays. Bayman told me there were boxing and football and other Natal games coming out, but I really, really can’t wait to shoot someone on that fucking thing."

Also, you can watch the video of a family playing the game here... (the one that people were giffing about 20 pages back)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/04/natal-river-rush-gameplay-glimpsed-first-wild-gesticulation-r/

Sydle

jedimike said:
No... don't think eyetoy anything. I swear if you looked up gofreak AND eyetoy, you'd get a buffer overrun error.

Here's a description from someone who has actually played it.

http://www.jamesgunn.com/2010/04/15/quick-impression-on-microsofts-natal/

"Then Dave and I played River Rush together. It’s a game where you stand side by side in a river raft, so it’s two people playing at once. To move right, you have to step right; to move left, you have to step left. As you rush down right rapids, you have to jump up and slap floating stars in the air – the whole raft jumps up every time you do. This game was even more exhilarating than the kicking one, and even more aerobically challenging. In fact, I’d say the ONLY drawback to the Natal some people may have is that you have to get up off your ass to play it. But, for me, a person who likes exercise and gaming, it’s sort of a dream come true. An hour of playing Natal every night will definitely burn calories.

The Natal was an amazing piece of technology and I’ll be the first one in line to buy one when they come out during the holidays. Bayman told me there were boxing and football and other Natal games coming out, but I really, really can’t wait to shoot someone on that fucking thing."

Also, you can watch the video of a family playing the game here... (the one that people were giffing about 20 pages back)

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/04/natal-river-rush-gameplay-glimpsed-first-wild-gesticulation-r/

Cannot wait.

FrankT

Speaking of GoFeak serious question are you actually interested in maybe buying this thing or not? As it stands you are by far the king of this thread.

Xbox Oculus

Eh sounds fishy. Sounds something out of the Metal Gear series or something.

AzBat

Supposedly the image came from "packaging assets on the ExpertZone server". Like yall I agree hopefully it's fake as well. Though it does fit with the 6-letter word someone suggested before.

szaromir

Banned
op_ivy said:
any idea where, because as far as i'm aware, its only been speculation. the only thing i've seen at all from dan, che, or turn 10 about future projects in the pipeline was che's post for LA gaffers to see a "glimpse of the future of racing games" (paraphrased)
No, sadly I don't remember. But it was prior to FM3's release. Maybe I read too much between the lines, I don't know now.

really? what #'s did pgr4 and rsc2 put up? it was my assumption that pgr 4 tanked pretty hard.
PGR2&3 were big hits for MS and the reason of PGR4 tanking is obvious (releasing a week after Halo 3. WTH).

:lol @ Xbox Oculus. Not gonna happen.

Dabanton

It looks fake as hell. :lol

It looks like someone got hold of new background materials and then added their own idea on top of that

FrankT

expy said:
Circles are in-line with their re-brand scheme. (on the header of the new boxarts)

Wait what;

Jim said:
Not that you need more proof, but Activision PR sent over some new boxarts... such as:

Spidey_SD_Xbox-360_Flat.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
szaromir said:
No, sadly I don't remember. But it was prior to FM3's release. Maybe I read too much between the lines, I don't know now.

PGR2&3 were big hits for MS and the reason of PGR4 tanking is obvious (releasing a week after Halo 3. WTH).

3 launched with 360. it would sell well no matter what. i'm just not sure pgr is a big selling brand anymore. there is sooo much competition in that space (street racers).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
jedimike said:

:lol

Sorry, but when I think of on-rails leaning/ducking/punching/etc. with a camera, I think of antigrav. It sounds very much of that mold.

Jtyettis said:
Speaking of GoFeak serious question are you actually interested in maybe buying this thing or not? As it stands you are by far the king of this thread.

Of course I do. I'm even one of the ones who'd buy it at $150, even if that's not a price I'd expect.

szaromir

Banned
op_ivy said:
3 launched with 360. it would sell well no matter what. i'm just not sure pgr is a big selling brand anymore. there is sooo much competition in that space (street racers).
What's the competition? GRID, MC (is a new MC on a way out anyway?) and maybe NFS, which changes its theme with every release? There were many launch games that bombed, too. We'll probably learn tomorrow if Turn 10 has been working on anything, no need to speculate anyway.

Alx

szaromir said:
Do I see the same screenshot of River Rush as everyone else? Looks like standard graphics on 360, nothing exceptionally good.

It's good looking for something that was presented as a mini-game... less minimalist than Wii games, but with pleasant cartoony style and colours.
Of course we've seen as good or better in major games, but it's still a pleasant surprise.

Ding

I think it's possible that people are misunderstanding what today's event is going to be like. (Or perhaps I am misunderstanding. We shall see.)

This will not be a Natal demo. I doubt there will be much of a presentation at all. There will be Natal "theming", but that's about it. It'll be very conceptual.

This, like all E3 events of this type, will be a combination party, show, and schmooze-fest. There will be open bars. Loud music. Scantily costumed serving girls and guys. Famous people will be there to impress the rubes. I wouldn't expect live sex shows or anything, but I also wouldn't expect this to go out of its way to be family-friendly. No one takes kids to E3.

I went to one of these things for Sega, years ago. Lots of drinking. Lots of girls in barely-there costumes, either dancing, or chatting people up. The event ended with Faster Pussycat playing a show in the round, while dancer-types tied themselves to the walls and simulated killing each other with paintball guns.

I think there were some game demos in side rooms. Who knows. Who cares. I was pretty drunk.

Now, I don't expect the Natal event to be that tawdry. It'll be more artsy, obliviously. But it will be a party first, and a show second. I'm sure they will work Natal in there somewhere, but don't expect a press conference.

FrankT

For any of the UK guys is Game showing like 40 minutes or so now to the Natal pre-order counter? Should be close with 19 hours from yesterday, but I totally could see it resetting again.

Jtyettis said:
For any of the UK guys is Game showing like 40 minutes or so now to the Natal pre-order counter? Should be close with 19 hours from yesterday, but I totally could see it resetting again.

Yup, just noticed this earlier on. Currently says 36 mins which would mean a 7pm reveal.

Alx

I don't know about Oculus... unless they changed the design of the sensor, it doesn't really look like an eye. And the "eye" thing has been used by Sony since last generation, I think they would have tried to distance themselves from eyetoy and pseye.
Besides, it would be a perfect ground for bad puns in French. :D ("cul" = ass, and "enculer" is... you guess what ;) ).

Mr Solo Dolo said:
Game has had a countdown running all week, it originally ended at midnight yesterday i think they've got their days and times mixed up :lol
The first countdown was to pre-order, which you can now for a £20 deposit. Now it's counting down to the release date announcement, but I definitely think they've got their info wrong.

SpacLock

derFeef said:
Micrsofot is confusing everyone with their 3 broadcastings/not broadcasting/live dates.

Yeah, I'm confused.

So is Spike really airing this live tonight or not? There's no commercials for it and TVGuide.com shows nothing listed for it.

What the hell is going on?

InaudibleWhispa said:
The first countdown was to pre-order, which you can now for a £20 deposit. Now it's counting down to the release date announcement, but I definitely think they've got their info wrong.

I don't think that's a deposit by the way, they say they won't take any funds from your account until they despatch the order - they've just stuck a placeholder price on it so they can validate your payment details.

SpacLock said:
Yeah, I'm confused.

So is Spike really airing this live tonight or not? There's no commercials for it and TVGuide.com shows nothing listed for it.

No video will be available until Tuesday. Not on the internet nor on regular TV.

AndyD

aka andydumi
SpacLock said:
Yeah, I'm confused.

I thought today's presentation wont be shown until Tuesday when the embargo is up.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The Game thing is actually a mess. The preorder isn't actually a preorder right now...it's a preorder of a preorder if you get my drift. They'll only be converted into real preorders when the price is up.

I also totally wouldn't expect anything from them at 7pm. I really wouldn't put it past someone at Game thinking MS will announce a release date at '7pm' because they're holding the Natal event at 7pm PST. I really do think they may be that unaware, and we'll see another embarassing 'countdown ends to reveal another countdown'.

Sydle

SpacLock said:
Yeah, I'm confused.

Xbox 360: The Future Revealed Media Briefing
Monday, June 14
Spike TV: 1:30 EDT, 10:30 PDT

"Project Natal" World Premier, Featuring Cirque Du Soleil
Tuesday, June 15
MTV: 3:30 pm EDT
Nick at Nite: 9 pm EDT

That's pretty much it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
gofreak said:
The Game this is actually a mess. The preorder isn't actually a preorder right now...it's a preorder of a preorder if you get my drift. They'll only be converted into real preorders when the price is up.

I also totally wouldn't expect anything from them at 7pm. I really wouldn't put it past someone at Game thinking MS will announce a release date at '7pm' because they're holding the Natal event at 7pm PST. I really do think they may be that unaware, and we'll see another embarassing 'countdown ends to reveal another countdown'.
That's what I thought!!!

PRE-ORDER TO SECURE A PRE-ORDER!

What the hell? http://www.game.co.uk/Xbox360/Hardw.../Project-Natal-Secure-Your-Pre-Order-Request/

Nothing is airing tonight.
Natal will not be called Oculus.
The Microsoft media briefing is tomorrow at 1:30pm Eastern / 10:30am Pacific on Spike.
That Natal preorder nonsense at Game.co.uk is just nutty.

gofreak said:

You're probably right :lol

jagowar

It does seem confused.... also tomorrow before the press briefing leo laporte said he will have some kind of a natal video stream before the ms e3 press conference (maybe as a concession for the g4 thing) but I don't remember when he said it would be live.

Kibbles

Lack of live video shows lack of confidence by Microsoft. =p Natal better not be the focus of the E3 Conference tomorrow. Ugh.

Top Bottom